Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Satan Claus ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 05:50PM

My copy came today - wahoo! Thank you Tom!

Tom would like to make himself available for any chats we have regarding the book. Tom said he was open to suggestions and could do a FB group if that's what we decide. We could do it through RFM, a private group on FB or some other method (?) - for those of you who would like to join in.

FB has the advantage of creating multiple thread for different discussions and we wouldn't have to worry about topics disappearing off the main page and having to look for them or having a thread close because it's reached its limits of posts.

Who is interested?

What is your preference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 05:58PM

count me in. can't wait to check the mailbox tonight

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 08:53PM

dammit

maybe tomorrow

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:03PM

Hope mine got here too, can't wait to get home. I would vote for a private facebook group, leaves fewer restrictions to posting than RfM, I could make one if this is the route we decide to go.

And by fewer restrictions, I mean the organization would be easier to work with for the format we want, wouldn't have to worry about locking threads, and it is easier to keep track of threads, etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 06:04PM by newatthis.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:16PM

How did you get copies? directly from the author? Can I get a copy too?

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:31PM

I emailed him but got no response...

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:40PM

or got overwhelmed with requests.

Date: April 24, 2013 06:41PM

Posted by: itsneverover ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:38PM

Facebook. And I would LOVE to be "in". Would love to get a copy of the book as well.

Date: April 24, 2013 06:42PM

Crom, yes, directly from the author. I don't know if you're familiar with the book, but check it out on Amazon for some background.

Crom and AngelCowgirl, I sent Tom an email and let him know there are more people interested. Hopefully he gets on here and lets you know if he has more copies. I believe he sent out 16 freebies ($8 for postage), but I think he said he had more.

AngelCowgirl, I'm assuming your email didn't make it or got lost in the rush. I'm sure he wasn't dissing you :-) Hopefully he gets on here and gets you some info.

Posted by: s4711 ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:14PM

Do you have an email address for Tom?

Date: April 24, 2013 07:23PM

Posted by: s4711 ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:26PM

Thank you very much!

Posted by: tomriskas ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:19AM

Hi All. Good reading to all of you. You've even got me re-reading my book again. I have to concentrate like hell in places, and I wrote it! ;) Look forward to your thoughts, and the exchanges and mutual learnings.

SC, I do have a few more books for any interested. Crom and AngelCowgirl if I didn't reply to your email I didn't get it. Please try again. tjriskas@yahoo.com.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:43AM

I just sent you an email. You must not have gotten mine either a couple of days ago. Maybe we're going to spam?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 12:43AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:00AM

Tom, have you considered making it available on Kindle?

Date: April 24, 2013 06:57PM

Shoot me an email nottrueblueanymore@gmail.com and I will add you to the group, include a link to your facebook so I can add you, and please reference your RfM username. Let's get a facebook group started, it will be secret so only members can see it and things posted in it. If not a link to your facebook, I can add you by email address as well, so let me know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 07:12PM by newatthis.

Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:11PM

Please count me in if there are any more copies available, Tom! Thank you.

Date: April 24, 2013 09:43PM

FYI - I sent Kerry Shirts an email letting him know that we're getting together to discuss the book and to see if he would like to join the conversation.

Date: April 24, 2013 09:45PM

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 10:03PM

sent email to u

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:26PM

1. Is there a reason it needs to be a private chat?

2. What if someone doesn't want to link their IRL or FB name to their RfM name?

3. Will you wait until everyone receives their copy of the book? And reads it? I understand it is a big, deep read. That could take a while. Or will you go a chapter or portion at a time, like a book club?

4. I could see a good few threads here going on it and then many more readers/posters/lurkers could enjoy the discussion.

I'd like to participate but don't want to do the IRL name/FB thing...

PS: Tom is very kindly sending me a copy up here in Canada but it could take longer to travel this way. Don't start without me, I hope!

PS2: What about a podcast discussion? That could be fun!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 11:27PM by Nightingale.

Date: April 25, 2013 12:03AM

Nightingale, Keep in mind my voice is one among many. I don't know that there is only one way and that any one way is the right way. Having said that, here are some thoughts.

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Is there a reason it needs to be a private
> chat?

Doesn't need to be "private" I guess. I'm not a big FBer, so I don't know the nuances. I was thinking just to keep things on task and not get hijacked by weird/off-topic comments it might be nice to have it private. Although I could set up an entire forum/discussion board that we could use instead that is dedicated solely for the purpose of discussing the book.

> 2. What if someone doesn't want to link their IRL
> or FB name to their RfM name?

I don't know if it's necessary to link them. A separate forum/discussion board could also alleviate that.

> 3. Will you wait until everyone receives their
> copy of the book? And reads it? I understand it is
> a big, deep read. That could take a while. Or will
> you go a chapter or portion at a time, like a book
> club?

I personally was thinking about the chapter /section/pages method. Although, with a dedicated forum, many different chapters/topics could be going at the same time. I certainly don't think it needs to be entirely read first.

> 4. I could see a good few threads here going on it
> and then many more readers/posters/lurkers could
> enjoy the discussion.

The more the merrier. My biggest concern is that things move so fast and furious here that threads will slip off the board and people won't know it. Or, somebody will start a thread, and other people don't realize it and then somebody starts a new thread along the same lines. Then you end up with sub groups talking without ever knowing that other groups are doing the same. If there is some way around this, great.

> I'd like to participate but don't want to do the
> IRL name/FB thing...

Understood.

> PS: Tom is very kindly sending me a copy up here
> in Canada but it could take longer to travel this
> way. Don't start without me, I hope!

I don't think we'll actually get started discussing for a little while since we have to get things pinned down as to exactly how we will proceed. I don't think there's a rush.

> PS2: What about a podcast discussion? That could
> be fun!

That could be interesting, but I personally have no experience with it. I'm not sure how that would work with potentially 20 people from around the world. Ideas?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:45AM

Satan Claus Wrote:
> I don't know that there is only one way and that any one way is the right way.

I like these words of wisdom. :)

SC: Thanks for your comprehensive response. I'm not good at FB either which is why I shy away from that idea but there could be a workaround I guess, if someone can explain it. I tried to set up a test FB account for myself a while ago, using a pseudonym, and accidentally entered my real full name and then couldn't figure out how to wipe it out. Sheesh, some newfangled things I cannot keep up with!

As far as how things go with the book discussion, I'll try to go with the flow. If it starts here and moves off board I'll try to follow. Re podcast, I don't know how they work either. Just that I'd heard that a host can moderate a discussion with many participants and then it's available to anyone who wants to hear it, or something like that.

I understand your thoughts about how it may go, or not go so well, here, but maybe we could try it and see how, and where, it goes, as you say.

I'm in favour of the KISS principle and keeping it open to all who are interested. So, however that goes...

Good idea, though. This is an amazing amount of interest already for a book not too many of us have read so far. It's kind of fun. (I know, I have a strange idea of "fun" sometimes).

Posted by: YesVirginia ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:59PM

Some of us prefer keeping the discussion on RFM, or maybe you could set up a blogspot for those needing to maintain privacy/pseudonyms. Even a secret FB group can be infiltrated by the 'curious' including spies from the SCMC who may be reading this very thread.

Since FB doesn't allow pseudonyms, it's a poor venue for some of us who are still transitioning and need to access info in a safe environment.

Date: April 25, 2013 12:14AM

YesVirginia Wrote:
> Some of us prefer keeping the discussion on RFM,
> or maybe you could set up a blogspot for those
> needing to maintain privacy/pseudonyms. Even a
> secret FB group can be infiltrated by the
> 'curious' including spies from the SCMC who may be
> reading this very thread.
>
> Since FB doesn't allow pseudonyms, it's a poor
> venue for some of us who are still transitioning
> and need to access info in a safe environment.

Actually, I *do* have an alias on FB and so do many others. However, point taken.

We could always start it here on rfm, see how it goes, then adjust if needed?

Date: April 25, 2013 01:37AM

Easily solved by setting up an alternate account on facebook just for the group, takes virtually no time to do, just use a different email, etc.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:50PM

I'm waiting anxiously for my copy and would love to discuss. I don't post on facebook, however, and have no desire to make an account. That's a philosophical decision for me. So I'm hoping we can discuss it here.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:53AM

Is Tom Riskas going to do another printing of the book? As of now on Amazon it is listed at $500 dollars.

Or perhaps publish as an ebook through kindle or something?

I am interested in reading it.

Date: April 25, 2013 08:38AM

alphonso Wrote:
> Is Tom Riskas going to do another printing of the
> book? As of now on Amazon it is listed at $500
> dollars.
>
> Or perhaps publish as an ebook through kindle or
> something?
>
> I am interested in reading it.

I believe Tom said in another thread that the publisher was supposed to be doing another printing this summer.

However, Tom may have a few copies available for the low, low price of only $8 (for shipping only). Send him an email to express your interest: tjriskas@yahoo.com

Posted by: King Brigham I ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 10:37AM

I'm interested, but:

Does anyone know when the "Deconstructing Mormonism for Dummies" version will be published?

Riska's book is deep.

Date: April 25, 2013 11:33AM

King Brigham I Wrote:
> I'm interested, but:
>
> Does anyone know when the "Deconstructing
> Mormonism for Dummies" version will be published?
>
> Riska's book is deep.

LOL - that's the purpose of the group - all us dummies will be deconstructing Deconstructing Mormonism. I guess you could call us the deconstructing morons.

By the time we're finished, maybe the RFM group will be able to publish it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.