Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 10:56AM

What a cheap religion. Members clean the building, members are forced to share buildings with other wards, all fun activities are ended because of cost. I know of a stake where they are testing a cheaper version of toilet paper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:02AM

Don't forget the part where they blame the evil US government.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:21AM

My mom always says the reason the church owns so much land is so they can grow food to help members of the church. How will closing down the canneries help? I never really believed that the church used their land to help feed the poor and needy but this does seem to be confirmation that they have no intention of producing food to help others and are just collecting land to help themselves.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 03:21PM

At best, the LDS farms help poor people in the same way that clothing donated to the American Red Cross and Goodwill helps the poor--the clothing is sold by the pound for profit to people who then bundle it and sell it to merchants in Africa. No poor people actually profit directly from the clothing.

Date: May 06, 2013 03:26PM

//not here//

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2013 03:28PM by cludgie.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:24AM

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see how that memo declares that they're closing anything except the one facility mentioned in the doc.

Posted by: sillysally ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:26AM

The author of the article states that he's contacted other canneries that are being closed as well.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:23PM

Oh, yes ... the evils of food safety regulations.

@@ <-- Those are my eyes rolling.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:42PM

You mean the *tyrany* of food safety. Think of the freedoms lost! We don't need any more regulations 'cuz freedom!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:34AM

I have only volunteered at the cannery once in the late '90's. The peaches were not well sorted, and rotten ones were canned up with the rest. I know a family that purchased those rotten peaches and were not happy. As good Mormons I'm sure they never officially complained, though the Sister did inform everyone during her RS food storage lesson to NEVER buy canned goods from the church.

All it takes is one person to report the bad practices. And to the TBMs it's that's one person's fault or the government's fault NOT the bad practices of the church owned cannery. <eyeroll>

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:40AM

In the church's defense, I must say that gov' regulations are getting more "stupid", but often in response to people not having plain common sense, like washing your hands after taking a crap and the next you know 100 people get sick from a eating cantaloupes.
Our business went through a short time of idiocy with the government because they couldn't stand the thought of us doing our thing and they just HAD to regulate us--I always say the reason we pay fees and taxes is to pay the salaries of the folks who make us pay fees and taxes.....

Posted by: sillysally ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:51AM

I disagree ... what I don't think others understand is this:

The USDA must protect society from diseases and pathogens in out food supply. There have been many horrific outbreaks of pathogens in food products over the last decade and because of this the government has stepped up to the plate in order to prevent food-born illnesses.

People can hate the government all they want to but they must understand that this "regulation" might be for protecting the food supply rather than lining the pockets with gold.

The regulations discussed in this man's article were for "food safety" not for any other purpose. I just can't seem to understand why you would default to "it's so the government can take more money from the citizens".

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:46PM

I suggest you read up on "food safety" in America. The USDA does very little to protect consumers. The meat industry is even worse. Pick up "Fast Food Nation" and "Food Politics."

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:43AM

This doesn't surprise me at all. Just last week I had the thought that they would be doing this kind of thing.

If they aren't making money, it will be shut down. It's a business. Businesses don't keep branches that don't make money. They will still preach food storage and self sufficiency, but they won't be doing anything to help out with that. Those days are over.

I would say that the exception might be Utah.

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:38PM

Your point, mia, about Utah being the exception may end up being prophetic.

Think about it. Could the closing of the canneries (since they are an overall expense as opposed to being a revenue producer) be symtomatic of an increasing loss in tithing funds?

Let's see, ward funds have been cut to the bone, members now have to clean the chapels, there's been a 10% reduction of employees at the church office building, etc.

TSCC may have already run the algorthms, demographics, etc. and realize the future projections show actual loss of growth, not just "no growth."

I'm guessing, perhaps I could be wrong, that if this theory is correct we'll see more and more revenue eating aspects of TSCC being eliminated.

They may be "Circling The Wagons," for what they now realize is inevitible. Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic, but I can hope, can't I?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2013 01:43PM by heretic.

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 11:48AM

I wonder if this is just what we referred to as "wet" canneries, the ones that it fruit, jam, etc. Our was always dry goods like rice, wheat, onions, carrots, pasta. Nothing has changed at those canneries in a long time.

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:01PM

I'm curious to know how many canneries TSCC owns and how many are closing. Does anyone know the stats on this?

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:09PM

You mean my TBM husband no long has to work in the cannery all night twice a year? {an hour's drive too] Hurray!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:18PM

I wonder if the recently opened new LDS Welfare palace & cannery in Lethbridge with get the axe?.....it's kind of a nicely designed, expensive looking edifice...would make a good bar...JMHO...

Ron Burr

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:22PM

"Volunteering"? Really? My folks were "called" to work in the cannery early on after their recruitment into TSCC. I guess by "volunteering," they just mean "working without pay."

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:33PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 12:44PM

So the regulations reason is BS.

Maybe the church has been keeping its western canneries compliant while neglecting the eastern ones. That wouldn't be too surprising since the brethren have a hard time seeing anything outside Zion.

Date: May 06, 2013 01:01PM

I wonder if it's just a matter of time before they close most or all of them. Running an independant, volunteer cannery an expensive and outdated way to process food.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:03PM

Since the church would rather sin than uphold the higher standards of the USDA... will they be selling food grown on "welfare" farms for profit?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:08PM

Perhaps this quiet news leak is a tactic to make the 'tyranny' of the US government a consideration for the TBM wackjobs.

This will soften things when LDS Inc. is forced to have a revelation about gays.

It will take a few years before people forgot they taught that.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:30PM

Date: May 06, 2013 01:41PM

I especially love the "FBI raid!" part. I'm surprised he didn't figure out a way to insert Bengazi! into the mix.

Posted by: Bobthetaxman ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:43PM

I just got this from a Non LDS. Monsanto is the giant entity trying to control the food production of the world. This is but a step towards their goal.

FDA Shuts down LDS Canneries - Another step toward total food domination
Saturday, 4-May-2013 22:47:12

PAY ATTENTION, PEOPLE!!!!!!

Remember all the hoopla over the past several years regarding outlawing backyard gardens and giving veggies to your neighbors, etc. Now we have this. If you are not familiar with all the seed background, Monsanto has attempted to genetically modify all seeds so they can patent them and farmers must buy new seeds from them EVERY year. Monsanto and their ilk have tried to patent heirloom seeds. You may want to read up on the seed vault. The very same people control that. Bill Gates owns a half million shares in Monsanto. ( http://www.naturalnews.com/034468_doomsday_seed_vault_secrets.html )

The global cabal's desire is to totally control the food supply so we have to go to them to continue eating. The GMO seeds blow onto heirloom crops and contaminate those seeds. Between that and chemtrails poisoning everything, it appears that we have to grow our food ourselves in a greenhouse environment.

Monsanto is one of the largest government sponsors. We must get legislation outlawing corporations from donating to any political campaigns. It is outrageous that it is costing almost a billion dollars to get a President elected these days. Political campaigns should not be an industry unto itself.

http://thewiseprepper.com/fda-shuts-down-lds-canneries/

FDA Shuts down LDS Canneries
Joshua Patterson
Author: Joshua Patterson, on May 3, 2013

Are Prepper food supplies and church food programs now under attack? It would seem that the Federal Government has started to shut down LDS Food Canneries.

Preparedness Pro Reports on their Facebook page that has how happened.

LDS Letter
The Letter down on the Preparedness Pro Facebook page

While there have been rumors for several months that this would happen, it’s now official!

ALL LDS Canneries east of the Mississippi will no longer be canning any food. The FDA, in their infinite, expert opinions–said with the greatest of sarcasm–has managed to FINALLY create such a set of conditions which are impossible for the LDS Church to comply with. (Given the financial standing of the LDS Church it’s clear that this isn’t a monetary issue and, since they have been seriously committed to helping others be self-sufficient at great sacrifice to themselves for decades, it’s clearly not a lack of commitment.)

I’m sure the FDA is mighty proud of themselves for FINALLY coming up with sufficient conspiring to get this done. They are clearly intent on stopping from ANY purchasing in bulk within two years in the LDS Canneries. At this point the LDS Canneries in SLC will need to pre-package foods and then send them East. So that means that more and more LDS members are going to need to volunteer to keep up with the workload.

Prepare while you can, folks, cause you never know when “They” will change your plans.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 01:57PM

When I lived on the other side of the river......
We'd go get the dry canning equipment, and anyone who wanted to use it could.

The government had nothing to do with any of it. I was dry canning stuff in #10 cans in my garage.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 06, 2013 02:02PM

Good. THEY ARE NOT IN THE FOOD BUSINESS. They sell most of that canned food, competing with legitimate businesses.

They are supposed to be a religion, remember. If they want to help the poor, they can start with

C L E A N W A T E R

For less than the cost of the City Creek Mall, the LDS church could have secured clean water for the entire continent of Africa.

If they want to help the poor, stop investigating people asking for help and give food freely to the poor "worthy" or not.

Find me the phrase "worthy poor" in any scripture, BOM, D&C, POGP, Bible.

Anagrammy

Date: May 06, 2013 03:29PM

I used the cannery twice when I was transferred to the Congo, using it to dry pack flour and sugar. There was no control, whatever, except to wear a hairnet and rubber gloves. I was totally unsupervised and by myself. I could have been sabotaging the sacks of flour as I went.

As anagrammy points out, they are not in the food business, and they are probably realising that now. If they had wanted to help the poor, after all, it would not be in the food canning business. They should take the profits from City Creek and go cure malaria in Sub-Saharan Africa. But they won't be doing that anytime soon, either. After all, the Africans are a benighted people only because of the poor choices they made in the Pre-Existence, right.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.