Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:00PM

Got my letter today now I may or may not have to talk to a bishop/stake president before I get the letter suitable for framing. It should be an awkward but rewarding conversation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:03PM

Date: January 24, 2011 11:12PM

January 8th

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:06PM

I thought part of the point of email resignation was that that was it. No hassles, no dumb bishop trying to twist your arm. Does Dodge's response say that you'll be referred to local ecclesiastical authority as part of the exit process?

Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:10PM

Just Hoorahin'over some shit is nice!

They are making it to easy....the other Morgybots will take advantage of this.

Is this a formal page on Mormon.org or something?

Or was it an email to Bishy?

Sadly, they will still be "14 Million strong."

Date: January 24, 2011 11:13PM

I did state in my letter that I did not want any contact but that is about as realistic as asking a fart not to smell.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:24AM

Great joke!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:12PM

They have an obligation to verify that the resignation is legitimate, that is, actually sent by the person whose membership is about to be terminated.

What's to keep someone from sending in a resignation for their TBM brother, because he has been a douche-bag since you quit Mormonism? Not likely, but something like that could happen, and no doubt does from time to time.

Try to change the mailing address of your bank account via email. You probably can (I just did)[edit: not email, I used secured account web page to update address], but you will be contacted to verify. In my case, it was a printed letter to both the old an new address notifying me of the change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 11:15PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:30PM

Good to hear you got letter #1. I sent my email yesterday and I am hoping to see the "local matter" letter in a couple of weeks. If the bishop stops by or calls, I plan to keep it short. One. Word. Answers. Only.

I also had a line about no contact, but farts do have a way of smelling even if you ask them not to... My DH literally laughed out loud at that line - thanks for that!

Posted by: apricot ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:59AM

Are there instructions somewhere for this email resignation? I tried the old way almost a year ago and have heard nothing.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:01PM

I just emailed Greg Dodge @ DodgeGW@ldschurch.org with the following:

My full name is Marco Polo Torres; my date of birth is 02/11/1968 . I was baptized when I was 8 years old (do not have the exact date) in La Mesa, CA. My residence address is xxxxxx.

I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately, and request you to remove my name permanently from your membership records. I wish no further contact from representatives of your church except to confirm that my name has been removed from your records. I expect to receive that confirmation within a reasonably short time.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 08:02AM

The above is a very good model for a resignation letter, characterized by:

1. Clear & simple declarations and directives.
2. No attempt at justifying or explaining the decision.

In other words: "I resign from your church; I direct you to process my resignation promptly."

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 09:35AM

Here is an even easier way. Go to the resignation page from this site. Copy the sample letter from it and paste it to your email. Fill in your personal info, and click send.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 08:29AM

I sent mine on 01/17 and got my reply on 01/19. I left 2 days later to visit my boyfriend for 10 days so if the bishop is trying to contact me, I ain't there. My ex is and so is my son.

Anyway--it took only 2 days for my first letter.

Posted by: raven ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 09:38AM

It would get caught, eventually, but I could see a revenge factor that could be satisfying.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 01:41PM

Especially when LDS Inc, who really deserves to be charged with misrepresentation, gets off scot free.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.