Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 06:40PM

After finding the "I like big butts and I cannot lie" song in my sister's tape player my mormon mother threatened to gather us kids in the van and drive us off a cliff to save us from Satans influence. The thing that really frightened me was that she wasn't joking and I questioned her sanity at this time. She was hysterically crying as she forced us to listen to the "perverse song." All of us were laughing and trying to tell her not to take the song so seriously. The church puts such pressure on moms to save their children's soul that it nearly drives them to lose their minds. The Mormon church has never been a healthy thing for my mother.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 06:52PM

My MIL flipped out once when my husband and BIL made a snowman of Homer Simpson that was so detailed, you could see the snowman's butt crack.

She made them go back out into the snow and smooth it out. Lol.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 06:55PM

Guessing from the several times my TBM mother was institutionalized while I was growing up, my guess is that she would rank right up there in the crazy scale.

I think the clinical, psychological term for it is "CooKoo for Cocoa Puffs"

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:00PM

She literally asked me if my first boyfriend "gave me a funny feeling in my tummy".
I was thinking pretty much any answer would be wrong, but I went with yes.
She said, "That means he's the one for you."

I'm sitting here wondering if my dad is the only one who has ever turned my mom on. I'm pretty sure he was her first boyfriend, although she may have gone on a few other dates. She's horribly awkward, and my dad is fairly oblivious with a fantastic smile, so I think he was the first one who wasn't reacting to her awkward nervousness by getting uncomfortable and that lack of reaction spelled magic for her.

So glad I didn't marry my first boyfriend!

It's like taking feelings = truth to a whole new level!

Posted by: anon girl ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:25PM

My mom wasn't LDS, but a friends' mother, a TBM, scared me with her crazy behavior.

One year during the summer months when I was 17, I met an LDS girl through an acquaintance and we became friends.

I was invited to visit my LDS friend and her family in SLC. I had a miserable time. The mother was a control freak and each night when all the kids were tucked in bed, including my friend and I, the parents would have the most horrifying screaming matches that could bring the roof down.

I could hear her mother screaming at the dad to get the hell out, that she hated his guts, and so forth!

My parents rarely raised their voices, so I had never heard anyone fight like this and it terrified me.

I was in such a rush to go back home to my own city and state, that I mistakenly left my underpants behind.

About a week later I received a package in the mail from the girl's mother [not my friend, but her mother!].

Inside the package were my panties, freshly laundered and folded. I also found a note suggesting I lose about 20 pounds. Also included was a diet plan and several scriptures, and pages from one of the church magazines.

I have no words to explain how mortified I felt.

Needless to say, I terminated contact with this girl and her wacko family.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:28PM

My mom held her arm to the square and tried to cast Satan out of me when I was a teen. I probably deserved it.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:32PM

wine country girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mom held her arm to the square and tried to
> cast Satan out of me when I was a teen. I
> probably deserved it.

Ever sit down and watch the movie "Carrie" with her??

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:33PM

I laughed out loud at that one. I probably shouldn't have, but I did anyway.

It might have something to do with having a teen daughter ...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:18PM

Exactly!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:34PM

In the top 10.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:45PM

My Mom was a convert (Scottish Presbyterian) and was a bit of a zealot after she got dunked. I just kinda stayed out of her way. Dad was the arbiter of most things church related and he let me get away with plenty. As long as I was honest, he was good with whatever I did.

Ron Burr

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:46PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,160557,161369

I'm told she literally chased my brother (who has four kids and could care less) with an anti-abortion brochure and asked my crabby grandma on her death bed to please tell my dad (who had died 10 days earlier) that she loved him. Then there's the imaginary coma that she recently sort of admitted never happened, and her dearly departed cat Joe* in her freezer for a couple of years (dowanna get my sister-in-law started on that), but neither of those things is very Mormony so I'll take $10 in food storage for the win.

:)

*Joe died when the ground was frozen solid, and she had this particular vision for his grave that took her a long time to implement is all. He was all sealed up and properly packaged from the vet, and it was her freezer, so I never thought it was quite as big a deal as my SIL did. She's one of those people who like to fix everything and everyone, and Munchymomom don't be fixed. SIL needs to learn to let her be who she is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 08:23PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 01:52PM

My grampa kept a dead hummingbird in his freezer. I found it late one drunken night when I was home from college. Imagine rummaging around in your grandparents' fridge and freezer, looking for a late-night, post-bar snacky treat and you come across a dead bird in a ziploc baggie.

He said the bird died on its perch and he saved it to show to people because you never ever get to see 'em sittin' still. I learned later that hummingbirds will take a little nap on their perches, so this bird was probably sleeping and then frozen to death. That makes me laugh.

Anyway, my crazy mom was not a mormon, but she is bipolar, so I've got that to brag about. She also has an autoimmune disease that she was told would kill her within five years. I was 5 when that was diagnosed, and will be 44 on Saturday: Mom is alive and well.

My evil stepmonster, however, was the crazy TBM. I think she, too, was overwhelmed by her five children. Her husband was nevermo. She'd had her first kid at 16 -- dropped out of high school after 10th grade. She proceeded to have one kid a year until she was 22/23. Kid #4 died when he was 18 months old -- she left him with the in-laws and they let him slip down in his high chair, snapped his neck. She was pregnant with #5 at the time. I don't really begrudge her joining the church either: she's uneducated, not horribly bright, also emotionally immature, and overwhelmed with five living children plus the guilt of losing the one. I can see how the temple sealing thing would appeal to her; she was promised she'd get to finish raising the kid she lost in the afterlife. She's hooked for life and would not let my dad out of the trap even if he wanted to leave.

And just when she thought she was done raising kids, my dad gets his two dropped in his lap and she had to finish raising two more. Two teenaged (well, I was a tween) girls who'd been raised by a feminist, working mom who treated us like people with feelings. I could tell horrific abusive stories all day, but I'll just leave you with this one, because it is TurboMormon™.

I had headaches a lot. I still do. Turns out, there's a lot of reasons I get headaches: muscle tension (I carry tension in my shoulders), allergies, and TMJ. Low blood sugar will also cause a headache. (So, fasting always made me feel hypoglycemic.) I had a headache just about every day, so my stepmonster hid the Tylenol. One day I had a -- surprise -- headache and went to grab a couple and there was no Tylenol in the medicine cabinet. I asked her about it and she said, "Well, you take those so often, I'm pretty sure you are addicted. So you're just going to have to go cold turkey."

Yes, I am addicted. To not having fucking headaches. I was flabbergasted that she didn't even take me to a doctor. If your kid had headaches every day, wouldn't you get that checked out, make sure it wasn't a brain tumor or something? My bio mom was a nurse and when she caught wind of that, she lost her mind. She also bought me a fat stash of Tylenol, which I kept hidden in my room or in my locker at school. My stepmonster, to this day, thinks she "cured" me of my Tylenol addiction because she never saw me take Tylenol again. Because I carried it around with me and stopped relying on her for medicine nor did I believe she had my medical best interests at heart.

The crazy, it runs strong.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:01PM

Honestly, my mom is still crazy. Maybe not as overly as some others, but still crazy. I'm starting to really realize how much bs her parents pulled on her.

Posted by: Fluhist ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:08PM

My mohter converted when I did, and while she loved the Church, was still a wonderful and loving mother.

BUT she didn't put up with ANY garbage. This does not involve the family (she was really patient with all of us), but a Stake incident which I think about with great delight.

My mother was very talented and so for many years served as the Stake Homemaking leader. It suited her and she was very good at it.

We lived in an outlying branch of the stake, which involved a good hours drive to Stake meetings once a month on a week night. My mother did not drive, so it was a big releif when one of the branch members was given a stake calling and he could take her to meetings. He was in his 30s, my mother in her 60s. My mother went to her meeting, but when she went to meet the young brother after the meeting for a ride home, he said "I am so sorry, Sis A. but I don't think that I can drive you home, we have been told in our meeting that there must be a chaperone AT ALL TIMES when we are with a sister". My mother said "WHY?". It turned out that the Stake YW leader had left her husband and moved in with the single YMs leader, and this had sent the stake Presidency into a tailspin! Soooooo over reaction of Church leaders personified, they banned ALL male female contact alone at ANY time.

Well my mother was VERY insulted. She announced LOUDLY that if anyone thought she was going to seduce a man younger than her sons, they were crazy, and if ANYONE thought she was going to take the quite unsafe train jouney home at THIS hour (it was after 9PM and would have taken her over two hours to get home by train) to save the virtue of an perfectly SAFE young man, they were INSANE!!!

Needless to say my mother got her ride home, and I think perhaps the Stake president may have got wind of what my mother had said!! Heh heh, our family laughed about it for years, even when we were active.

No my mother wasn't crazy, in fact she was the sanest one of the entire stake that night!!

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:09PM

Hoo boy. My crazy Mormon mother:

Started having sex with my dad several weeks before their temple wedding, then shunned her younger sister who confessed her own misdeeds to her bishop

Tried to seduce a number of our home teachers over the years--as far as I know she only succeeded with one

Refused to give any of her children any sex ed whatsoever--none of us learned even the basic mechanics from our parents

Wouldn't let her children take aspirin or cold medicine "because it's not in Heavenly Father's plan" but drank and drugged herself into a stupor whenever she wasn't pregnant

When I went through the temple right before my mission, she couldn't go with me because she had been excommunicated for adultery and drug use (I had very little contact with her by then and wouldn't have invited her even if she'd had a current recommend). She told me I was evil for not waiting until she could get rebaptized, and prophesied that God would strike me dead in the temple for being a terrible daughter.

My brother went through the temple five years later--right before his mission--and he dutifully waited for her to get rebaptized and her temple blessings restored before putting in his call. (She had told him she'd help pay for his mission if he waited. She was lying.) While in the temple, she picked a fight with my brother which made him cry and then tried to keep fighting with him in the endowment room during the film. The best was when she put on her veil during the endowment; she insisted on having the little point at the top of her head instead of at the nape of her neck. The poor temple worker who tried to help her got snarled at, and Mom was oblivious that people were snickering at her for the rest of the afternoon.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:33PM

I always thought my mother was looney tunes until I came to this board. I know now that she is a picture of mental health compared to some of your moms. Wow.

My mother is more of an annoying control freak. Here's an example. My younger brother was getting ready to go out with some friends to see the movie Edward Scissorhands years ago when it was in theaters. Mom said no, he could not go, because that was a terrible horror movie about a boy with scissors for hands who went around dismembering people. My brother and I laughed and laughed about that one. I tried to explain to her that it's a heartwarming film that she would probably like if she wasn't so judgmental. She had done a similar thing to me when I wanted to see the movie Jaws. She said I could not, because it was rated R, and she would not budge from that position even when I showed her the newspaper which gave the rating as PG. I think it was another 20 years before I finally saw the movie Jaws.

Mom is very, very churchy. We visited the Washington DC temple when I was about ten, and her eyes were wild with excitement. I remember we stepped in the front door, and she stopped suddenly and said "Did you feel that?? I felt a thrill that went through my whole body!" People were looking. It was embarrassing.

I think Mom was completely out of her depth with six kids. It was just too much for her, and we were a really rough bunch. She used to break down in tears and say she was going to pack her bags and run away unless we started obeying her. There was crying from everyone, and then she would agree to stay. Whenever we asked what she wanted for Christmas or birthdays, she would always say "obedient children."

Date: July 17, 2013 08:43PM

She was serious, too, but instead of crying me and Brobotaz just kind of stared at her.

She actually took off by herself once, and Dadbotaz summoned us to the livingroom to inform us of the impending divorce. "Because the temple marriage wasn't what your mom thought it would be," he said, when one of us asked why.

She forgot to take the cats, though, and the divorce never happened, and now Munchymomom insists the whole thing never happened.

Date: July 17, 2013 08:45PM

Yes, we've compared moms in the past, and there are some startling similarities. I really think my mother wasn't cut out for the big family gig, and we were seriously bad. I was going to post some stories, but I didn't want to take over this thread. To give an idea, I can recall four times when firearms were discharged in the house -- once by my father.

Date: July 17, 2013 08:51PM

My dad had a bunch of guns, but none of them ever went off in the house. Brobotaz started a fire in the middle of his bedroom carpet and tried to cover it up by moving his bed, and that's probably the worst thing either of us did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 08:52PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:33PM

Mine was oh, so silent, but when she said something you knew that she had been watching you, listening-in to your conversations, or going through your things--letters, diaries,etc. No place was mine alone in the house.

She had been active in the church in the years before I was born, then separated from my very alcoholic sperm-donating type of father because she was told to do so by her bro's, who you know, were men of god and knew what was best. I know she did not want to leave him and loved him dearly. After that she did not go to church because she was single and mortified and would never go there alone without a husband.

However, you knew from her silence and looks that she did wish to be at church. When I was having a melt down in my life because of the crap I had grown up with, she, lady of few words, said to me---You are ungrateful. You have a temple marriage (hers was not) AND your own home (which she did not have any longer after leaving my father). You should NOT be complaining.

I have come to realize and forgive her for this and other things. I know that some of her issues were handed to her on a plate by the craziness of the era she lived in, and some were directly caused from the crazy indoctrination received in the lds cult.

The MORoN church is well, the moron church and I hope it falls off the earth. Could happen none too soon in my way of thinking.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:37PM

My Mormon mother was awesome. Then again, I think she secretly never believed in the church, and is now an apostate.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:59PM

I hope my kids say the same about me :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:48PM

Has had dreams since I was born blue (cord around my neck) that I would die before she does.

I'm committed to breath that this doesn't happen.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:50PM

That's the thing. My mom is a super intelligent, beautiful, thoughtful, reasonable strong woman in every aspect of her life except religion. That's where she becomes a deluded infant with no critical thinking skills..

Posted by: Fluhist ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:55PM

I just want to say how grateful I am to see some of you say that you felt that so many children were too much for your Mum. I appreciate it, because I KNOW that was case with me. I was totally unprepared and totally overwhelmed by my LARGE family of children. Add to that the prssure to be a PERFECT mum despite a lot of problems with my marriage, and I really did make a terrible hash of it at times.

I am genuinLY sorry for my mistakes, and it gives me a lot of comfort to see that some of you can understand where your mother was coming from. No I was not a sneakey, check in your diary mother, nor a crazy molly mormon, but I did not always listen when I should have, and the Church's teachings were SO much more important than what my children were saying. I could also me be very cranky because of the pressure and I regret taking that out on my children.

For those of you who can see the cause of many mothers' problems.

THANKYOU!!!!

Date: July 17, 2013 09:18PM

I'm sure you did the best you could. I think people like my mother get romantic ideas about having a lot of kids, but the reality is a lot different than the expectation. I was the oldest of six, and I saw a lot of crazy stuff. After that experience, I had ONE. :) I'm sure you did everything you possibly could, but you only have so much energy. I think you should give yourself some credit and think about the things you got right. Those successes were hard earned.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber nli ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:01PM

Mine takes it so seriously that if her children, and grandchildren aren't Mormon, it'll be on her on judgement day, like she'll have to answer for it (does anybody have a doctrinal reference for that BTW?)...so she took me to court for my son, and is now working on my exmormon sister's kids. Strangely, though, she has no such quarrel with my other tbm sister. I am absolutely positive that if I were to go back to tscc, this tug of war with my son would magically disappear.

She also took a steak knife to my finger once and started sawing when I was a little kid. I guess I wouldn't stop complaining.

Yeah she's the evil kinda crazy.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:12PM

Addicted to opioids and benzodiazepines, I don't recall ever seeing her sober.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 09:12PM by ladell.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 11:34PM

MOm was okay. DAD IS NUTS!

Posted by: exmofosho ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 12:21AM

Several years ago I was at my EX mother in laws house. ( I was a convert none of my family were members) anyhoo.....I was at her house on a certain Sunday. My ex spouse and I had already been to church and I was washing my car in the driveway. As I was vaccumming the car I was playing the stereo pretty loud and I believe a Will Smith song was on. (Very clean rapper). I did not see my ex mil walking up the driveway.....coming home from church. she came up behind me and and asked "Do you think this is appropriate music to play on the sabbath?" I was shocked.....I was married and in my early thirties.....I said "sure!" She then asked "Well just imagine the savior sitting next to you right now. And ask yourself......is this something the savior would want to hear on the Sabbath?" I replied...."ummm....I say yes. Its Will Smith" Everybody loves Will Smith!

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 12:35AM

My mother was raised by alcoholics that treated parenting as a part-time job. They would leave their 7 children alone for days and weeks at a time to fend for themselves. They had 7 children and they're not even mormon. Leaves me shaking my head.

Anyway, because of the environment she grew up in and the fact that she has the emotional maturity of a child I don't begrudge her joining the church. I can see how it would make so much sense to her as a young woman in the 1970's. To her, it's a lighthouse in the storm.

How crazy is she?

Crazy enough to stay in a dysfunctional, loveless marriage that's been teetering on the brink of divorce for 40 years. Crazy enough to choose to live around her alcoholic family that has no respect for her or her family for most of her adult life. Crazy enough to send the sisters that my grandpa sexually abused to church counselors and let creepy old guys ask us about masturbation. Crazy enough to remain in denial about decades of poor decisions and all kinds of abuse.

I pin the blame on my mom because my dad was never intelligent enough to handle complexity and my mom called all the shots. He would do whatever she said. Basically, she's pretty crazy.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 11:05AM

Specifically what ETB said about depression not being real for real mormons (if you prayed more and read your scriptures, you wouldn't be depressed! Shrinks are crazy and not to be trusted). Then, all women should aspire to stay home AND god won't give you more kids than you can handle. Is it any wonder our moms were so messed up?

Currently, for those who follow my family saga, I'm trying to convince my parents they need prof. help. A losing battle, I know. I'm just at the definition of insanity (doing the same thing and expecting diff. results). I'm trying this for awhile.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.