Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:06PM

I know TBMs believe the FP and Q12 kneel and prayer and wait for instructions fro mthe lord, but what really goes on? The last thing the church wants is an embarassing scandal involving a member of the Q12 or FP. To get into the pool of candidates, they've already established themselves in other high level leadership positions, but I imagine there is still a serious background check before someone is called, especially someone like Bednar, who was so young when he became an apostle, he was basically called to be the future prophet if he can stay healthy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:11PM

Grant Palmer has met with them regarding the church and their doubts:

http://mormonthink.com/grant9.htm

In this article we learn the truth about the entire recruitment process and the fact that the men must be "church-broke."

Best

Anagrammy

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:16PM

I have heard claims that general authorities are required to sign a very strict non-disclosure agreement. Does anyone have documentation on this?

Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:24PM

That's a fascinating read. I had not read that before. I'm skeptical of those types of claims, but I trust Grant Palmer. It's hard to believe, but at the same time, it's also hard to believe any of the leaders could actually believe any of it is true.

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:11PM

I don't know, but one of my cousins was called to be a mission president several years ago and said that the vetting process was brutal. He had multiple interviews, background checks, full financial checks and several interviews. During his final interview, he was put in a small cubicle and the person doing the interview plopped a massive folder on the desk.

Can't exactly blame them. Like you said, nobody wants a scandal. Moreover a dishonest mission president could pilfer a lot of money.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 03:14PM

I would think, by the time you got to the Q12, you'd have pretty well have been vetted (Q70, MP, SP, and other callings having proven your "church-brokeness")

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 03:35PM

I'm sure the Q15 know very well the person they decide on as the next apostle. He has probably served in numerous leadership positions in the church. He can be independently verified as "qualified" and "reliable" by many of the other apostles and leaders in the church. I'm sure the church has access to countless records on this person so that they know he has a clean and impeccable history in the church, as well as outside the church.

He has to have shown unwavering faith and obedience to the CHURCH.
There can be no red flags. He has to be a yes man all the way up the ranks. He has to have shown absolute commitment to the church.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 04:20PM

If they have access to NSA records, they know what kind of internet surfing the candidate does...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/new-york-police-terrorism-pressure-cooker

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.