Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: September 19, 2013 09:23PM

Since I am having an angio/cath for the heart next Tuesday, I have been extrememly anxious. I have read everything I could to reassure myself, but still.

I am only having my bff come, and my son, who insists, and maybe my ex will hang out. I will let my TBM brothers know, the one of course won't come. He is severely disabled and he couldn't get out at that time of the morning.

The other brother, who is also disabled but can still get out, lives a half block from the payson temple. He may insist, though I would feel strange with him there. The problem is he may very well say that I have to have a blessing. I know most mo's would, but I don't want one.

So if he asks, then how do I handle that? He should know better, but even after he knew we left the church he gave my son a BOM.

You know what is really stupid too? So I say no thanks to a blessing, and then something bad happens. Is that because I said no or what? I can't even believe I would even think that. I have no problem having someone pray for me to be ok and all, but that laying on the head and oil stuff freaks me out quite frankly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: September 19, 2013 09:47PM

I really feel your fear from your post. I have had one and was so scared I was shaking. Of course the room they take you into will probably be freezing.
But this is what happened in my case, I went in and they gave me warm blankets. I was given something to relax me. The nurses were great and comforting. They wheeled me into a freezing room and again gave me something else to keep me relaxed and more of those wonderful blankets.
The worst part was the beginning--no pain, but weird pressure. After that it was absolutely fasinating and I could see everything on the screen.
I did not have a blessing. A friend dropped me off and picked me up.
If you do not want a blessing ( I didn't), just say "I would love prayers of comfort and that will really help."

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: September 19, 2013 10:06PM

Sorry you have heart problems. I have had about half a doz angiograms in the last 17 years. Some with balloons some with stints. Nothing to it! I had open hear surgery several years ago, a valve and a by pass. That doesn't mean I didn't worry before hand. After?? I felt better than I had in years! Likely you will to. Good luck, acted brave and you'll be brave. Up date us when you can.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 12:23AM

Good luck Jonny, I am thinking of you. Do please keep us informed! I am concerned for your health and VERY optimistic that you will be fine!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 03:44AM

Good luck. I've had a few in my lifetime and they went well. I always get nervous and these days I will let them know I'm nervous, that I'm cold, and will ask for a warm blanket, etc. Warm blankets feel great.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 05:45AM

I also send wishes that the procedure goes well for you. I admire your courage in admitting that you are anxious and frightened, and, in my book, that makes you ahead of the game. Snuggle in those warm cozy blankets and let your mind think pleasant and beautiful thoughts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 07:00AM

Good luck to you! I would gracefully decline the blessing, but ask for their silent prayers instead if you feel comfortable with that.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 07:19AM

They (people around me) once thought I had a heart attack. I ended up in the emergency room, and they called in The Cardio Team. In record time I was having an angiogram. I have to tell you that it wasn't all that bad. Of course, I didn't have to have a stent because I wasn't having a heart attack, so I can't vouch for how uncomfortable it would be to have a stent installed. I'm just saying that the team was good to me, the procedure done quickly and as comfortably as possible. The weird part was having the probe end up in my heart, knocking around against the inside of the wall of the heart. It was a giddy sort of feeling.

Anyway, good luck with this. They do these things all the time now, and have it down to a pretty quick procedure.

(At the end they gave me the choice of receiving a plug for the rather large hole in the femural artery, thus allowing me to get out of bed in a couple of hourse, or to not have one and then have to stay flat on my back for the night. I chose the plug. With or without a plug, you are not allowed to do anything that will blow the plug or re-open the hole, like squat down and stuff. If it happens, you are quickly dead, so they want you to stay close to a phone and to make sure that those around you are ready to apply pressure to the femural artery.)

Posted by: family first ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 10:04AM

Hi Jonny

In answer to your question on the other thread, no, I did not proceed with a legal venue. I spoke up and out about my treatment, but the fact is there wasn't any major damage done to my heart from the heart attack. Quite frankly, I don't need the stress I would experience from a law suit. I'm tired from all I have been through, which is another long story.

The angiogram...they wheeled me into a freezing room...until I read this thread, I thought it was just the hospital I was at. I was shaking like a leaf due to being scared and cold...one nurse asked me if I had a seizure disorder and the doctor climbed her case and told her that it was freezing and to get me some warm blankets, which she did and I stopped shaking. They also gave me something to relax me which was great..and talked to me about whom I live with, my rescue dogs, and so on.

They went through my wrist to get to my heart. I was surprised afterwards because I had always heard that they went through your groin. I woke up a few times during the procedure, no pain was felt, I was happy as a clam and they explained to me that they found two blockages. My response to that was, "Well, that's no good!" and I went back to sleep. I was told you're not supposed to remember anything, but I did.

When out of icu care and put in a room, I had a balloon bracelet on my wrist. They came by every couple of hours and lessened the pressure on it. By bed time, the balloon bandage was off, I felt no pain and I can't even see where they cut my wrist to go into the artery.

jonny, once they give you what ever it is to relax you, you'll be fine.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:06AM

Thanks again everyone. So I know it's going to be cold, so warm blankets, they will give me good drugs, and I won't be able to get up for awhile after and may have to spend the night.

I guess that isn't too bad. I have had several other surgeries, but I guess this one scares me because it is my heart after all.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it really does help!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.