Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 12:33PM

Here is a broad generalization. Mormons, especially Mormon women, love Brian Regan. All the girls I ever dated always asked me if I loved his comedy on the first one or two dates we went on. How is his comedy funny? Mormons pride themselves for listening to him cuz he's clean. His comedy is mostly situational humor. He tells these stories from his life and tries to give a funny description of them borrowing lightly from other types of humor like hyperbole's, repartee's, blunders, etc... There is no intelligent wit at all in his humor. He is coming to SLC soon and I'm sure it will be sold out. Had to get that off my chest. He f@cking sucks... I would love to heckle him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:19PM

My TBM ex loved the guy. She would laugh her a** off at everything that came out of his mouth. He reminded me of humor for an audience of high school kids. That's about where mormon mental development stops in most of the group think so maybe that is his perfect audience.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:31PM

It's to bad they think other comedians are "bad". Luckily for me I never cared what I listened to. I feel bad they've never heard Chapelle, Foxworthy, Leno, Colbert, Stewart, Rock, Larry the Cable Guy, Williams, Seinfeld, etc... I guess they gotta avoid "loud laughter."...

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:53PM

Come to think of it, why would any (endowed) Mormon go to see any comedian? Aren't they risking violating their covenants by laughing loudly?

It's like going to a bar or starbucks.

Posted by: Quorum of the 12 Millionaires ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:00PM

youtube AZIZ Ansarri ( Indian looking guy)

you will blow liquid out your nose if you are drinking anything

Posted by: Bobihor ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:05PM

I understand why Brian Regan is popular in Utah...being clean and all. But I gotta defend my man Brian. I think he's hilarious, and I'm not ashamed to say it. Being funny WHILE being that clean, I think, is a challenge...and I think he pulls it off nicely.

In the end, though, humor is subjective. To each his own...

Posted by: MilkDoesABodyGood ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 04:39PM

Totally agree with you. If someone can pull off talent without all the sex, drugs and rock and roll, then love them. I don't mean "bad" isn't funny, I have just always believed those kind of jokes are the 'easy' way out to get a laugh.

Someone that literally makes me laugh harder than any?

Jim Gaffigan.

Funny as hell. I love how he has like five kids and makes fun of it.

Mormons need to get over themselves and laugh at how funny they are.

Jim isn't one, but he does have some similarities at times.

I would actually say (now that I am listening to him right now), I find him much funnier than Regan.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:21AM

Gaffigan is great!!! ;-)

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:05PM

Not only will he probably sell out, he may sell out the ENERGY SOLUTIONS CENTER, where lady gaga and the jazz play. That blows my mind.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 04:06PM

I hate to say it but I think he is funny. Yes. I love George Carlin,I love Colbert and all the other good comedians,but I also like Brian Regan. Hell, he makes me laugh.

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 05:35PM

I enjoy Brian Regan's standup. I don't think it's fair to claim that his comedy is devoid of intelligence either. I mean there are people who genuinely think that The big bang theory and 2 and a half men are funny shows, I can't watch them for over a minute without suicidal thoughts running through my brain. As The Dude would say: "well that's just like . . . your opinion man."

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 06:03PM

I LIKE Brian Regan. I also love Seinfeld, Colbert, Gabriel Iglesias.. My husband loves Jeff Dunham, but to me he's "eh."

Hell, I think some of the comdians on Latter Day Night Live are hilarious... Except Jeff Dirk. That guy is.. just... awful.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 06:10PM

Brian Regan is funny, but to Mormons the fact that he's clean trumps all. I enjoy a richer variety of standup talent because I'm not a prude. Louis CK is a favorite, as is Bill Burr. I also like Doug Stanhope, Jim Jeffries and Eddie Izzard.

It's the heretic in me, I guess.. but Jeffries and Izzard and others who mock religion appeal to me.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 06:19PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 02:30PM

My TBM niece and her TBM husband just made a public announcement they went to see Brian Regan live in Logan. They seemed to really enjoy themselves lol. Good clean fun, for date night out.

They had a mocking good time. ;)

Posted by: Scooter in Nashville ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 11:41PM

Eddie Izzard is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Tim Thomerson also had a great routine some 30 years ago.

But Izzard giving an entire monologue in French to people who don't speak French (that includes me) is simply hysterical.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 11:45PM

I grew up watching Tim Thomerson in his acting career (I'm a huge Scanners & Near Dark fan), & I had no idea that he'd ever done stand up until a few years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 11:47PM

Mormons like Brian Regan? I'm kind of shocked. I know he's a "clean" comedian, but he's all about "loud laughter". You all know what I mean.

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 10:41AM

I would have to agree with you on Eddie Izzard.

Smart, funny and he wears heals so well!

My favorite!

Posted by: Delila ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:47AM

Yes, rationalist01, I like all those you named...tho, I would add Carlin to that mix.
I have watched several of Regan's shows, my fav. being the "Walkie Talkie" skit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOOkH-bZQyk

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:31AM

Thank you!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've always been baffled at how Mormons will settle with safe in order to avoid anything interesting or thought-provoking in the arts.

Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers by saying this, I think that "napolean dynamite" epitomizes this in the comedic realm. I know there are fans of the film on here, but I'm sticking to my position on this one. The film has nothing to say, because they aren't allowed to say anything unless it's devotional.

Posted by: Lush ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 03:10AM

I don't listen to comedy unless it's Amy Shumer that girl is dirty and a Jew so naturally I have a thing for her

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 03:53AM

I like Brian Regan b/c his comedy is relatable. It's healthy family interactions and normal life with comedic observations on it all. When I'm looking for something I can laugh at with my kids in the room, he's my go-to guy. There are plenty of other comedians I appreciate as well, but I don't always know what I'll get with them and I'm definitely not sharing them with my sub-teenage kids. Most of the time I'm laughing, but sometimes I just get grossed out and have heard enough. I don't always need someone pushing the envelope of disgusting, but to each his/her own. There are plenty of others I enjoy, Dane Cook, Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes....just to name a few.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 03:00PM

I also like Brian Regan and this coming from someone who also likes Jim Jefferies who is as crude as they come.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 03:24PM

I'm surprised Jim Gaffigan hasn't come up in the conversation.

He's clean and another Mormon favorite, but unlike Brian Regan, I find Gaffigan funny and more intellectual.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 03:34PM

I really enjoy his built in heckler. Talk about doing it all.

Posted by: MilkDoesABodyGood ( )
Date: April 25, 2015 04:44PM

Oops. Didn't scroll and saw this.

I love, love, love Gaffigan. No matter my mood, he makes me laugh.

It is just the genuine 'realness' and he can heckle himself (as said below).

I like dirty jokes (love Amy Schumer recently), but the 'F' word every other sentence bugs me. Part of it is probably my old self and rules, but the joke never comes across as funny when the word is repeated over and over and over in a sentence.

Insert another word and tell the joke. Same thing. It is just tiresome and swearing to that level (in my personal opinion) calls for less intellect, as half your routine is simply that; swear words.

So yeah.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 01:13AM

leftfield Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised Jim Gaffigan hasn't come up in the
> conversation.

I'm also surprised he's not come up in the eighteen month life of this thread!

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 10:10PM

Regan's bit about Neil Armstrong's conversation topper is quite original I thought.

Armstrong didn't really drive a lunar rover of course as that came on later Apollo missions, but it's still funny.

Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:12AM

haha! I posted this thread awhile ago.Can't believe it was resurrected. Changed my name to something i thought would be better for this board.

Anyway, Just watched a video of his to see if I would laugh. It was incredibly sappy. Just like mormonism and it's f@cking CULTure. I hate how mormons laugh at him and think he's funny just cause they think he's clean. If they could hear some real stand-up from actual famous comedians they might see how unfunny this guy is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.