Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 04:21PM

This study of Canadian parents found that children of Lesbian married couples did far worse in academic studies than children of male-female parents:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/not-all-marriages-are-created-equal_762338.html?page=1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 04:41PM

http://equalitymatters.org/blog/201310080003

This "study" is based on the same type of shoddy research methods as the discredited Regnerus study. In other words, make a wild claim, provide research that is unrelated and/or distorted which doesn't actually back up the claim, get paid big bucks by a conservative thinktank (which should discredit honest scholarship in itself) and publish in an unaccredited, non peer-reviewed journal.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 05:22PM

The peer reviewed and scientifically sound studies all find that children raised by homosexuals are, on average, healthier and happier than their heterosexually raised counterparts. I think the common thinking is that this is because it's highly unlikely that homosexual couples actually end up with unwanted, "accidental" children.

Date: October 09, 2013 05:27PM

The study has been called “bullshit” by an internal audit of the journal that originally published it, and even Regnerus has admitted that he really didn’t capture any valid information about gay fathers or lesbian mothers. Nevertheless, conservatives repeatedly cite it as evidence against same-sex parenting, including in the arguments for DOMA and Prop 8. In brief, here was how ASA debunked the study:
•Regnerus did not study children born or adopted into same-sex parent families, only those who seem to recollect one of their parents ever having a same-sex relationship.
•Regnerus compared that group, most of which had experienced family dissolution, only to stable, married, opposite-sex families — i.e. he compared unstable to intact.
•Regnerus ignored whether the children lived with or were raised by the parents who had a same-sex relationship.
•Regnerus only identified these “gay” parents based on the recollection of the children, not based on how the parents actually identify or live their lives.
•Most of the factors Regnerus analyzes were adult outcomes, not childhood outcomes, and could very well have had nothing to do with the relationships of the children’s parents.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/03/01/1657891/sociologists-scotus-parenting/

Date: October 09, 2013 05:30PM

The National Organization for Marriage is today promoting a new conservative analysis of a 2010 study that found children of same-sex parents experience no academic disadvantage. The analysis pulls the same trick Regnerus used by adding back all the children who lived in unstable households, but then making a generalized claim about the children of same-sex couples:

The 2010 study had excluded children who were not biologically related to the head of household and who were not in the same home for at least five years. This reduced “the sample size by more than one-half.” The 2012 study explains that putting the children who had been in unstable households (lived at the same address less than five years) back into the sample increases the sample “by more than 80 percent.” This fact alone seems important. The new study’s conclusion is that “children being raised by same-sex couples are 35 percent less likely to make normal progress through school.”

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/11/28/1251931/conservatives-apply-faulty-regnerus-method-to-other-same-sex-parenting-studies/

Date: October 09, 2013 05:31PM

I also wonder why you feel the need to promote dishonest "studies"?

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 08:23PM

I wonder what Loren Marks, PhD, has to say about this.

Steve

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 08:41PM

I was rasied by hetro parents. And I must tell you there is no way in million years gay parents could have done any worse. I wish I would have had gay parents. I would have never been filled with some much paranoid crap from LDS doctorine.

Posted by: Notloggedin ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:53PM

I second this. I probably would have avoided about 30 various problems with my biological parents. Just the extra open mindedness that being a homosexual couple implies would have made a world of difference.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:00AM

If my parents had been two gay men, I don't know that they would have stroked my penis in the bathtub like my hetero Mormon father did. Personally, I never felt compelled to touch my son's penis while bathing him.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 12:25PM

dad's actions. My son was raised by a gay dad and I'm certain he never stroked his son's penis. My son would back me up on that one 100%.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 12:28PM

but this I can say. My kids' friends love their dad--here in mormonville. My son's friends go on vacation with my ex and my son all the time. They are friends on fb with him and hang out with my ex. All of the friends are hetero and in their 20s.

The younger generation has a much better outlook on same sex relationships. My son and his friends go to gay pride, etc.

Even if my daughter is TBM, her friends are also very accepting of her dad. They think he is fun to be around.

(I put this in the wrong place.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 12:29PM by cl2.

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:15AM

Perhaps if the child of two same sex parents live in an un-accepting community,they may suffer from more bullying. That may adversely affect their performance.

Date: October 10, 2013 07:15PM

It is not a problem with same-sex parents.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 03:11AM

Im sure you could could do a study that determines that the children of rednecks also do worse in academic studies, but that doesnt mean rednecks shouldnt get married.

Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 03:13AM

A study like that might suggest that Canadians are generally unaccepting of same-sex parenting, so consequently the children of same-sex couples are bullied or otherwise made to feel "less-than" and thereby have issues.

I really don't know anything about Canadians on this issue, just offering one of many conclusions that could be drawn.

I know several loving gay couples with children, and they are all amazing parents, with high-achieving kids. (I suppose for some, it's just another reason to hate CA.)

It takes a village!

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 04:56AM

Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 10:11AM

Haha!

Sorry if I offended anyone in my above comment though. It was my bad attempt at satire, demonstrating what I could come up with if I painted the outcomes with a wide brush, as it seems many of my conservative Facebook friends often do (many of who have moved outside of CA). There are a lot of factors I would personally want to see starting with demographics in that study before I were to accept those numbers!

I had a mind-numbing discussion recently with my sister-in-laws-sister who moved back from Texas recently, and had all good to say about the schools in Texas, and all bad things to say about the schools in CA. Broad and extreme assumptions made from the specific districts where her children attended in both states. I had to point this distinction out to her. My children's CA public school has a compulsory music and PE programs, and a lot of parent involvement. Some things come down to the community, or the district, or the county, or the neighborhood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 10:40AM by morgana.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 09:36PM

Canada, it's america's hat!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 09:39PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:18PM

I'm Canadian and I'm familiar with this researcher.

Generally Canadian society is very accepting of homosexuality and same-sex parenting. That's how we roll. But there are exceptions to the norm... one being the author of this study mentioned in the original post.

The more accurate interpretation of this research findings is that this "researcher" Doug Allen is a bible thumping, colossal homophobe who decided what results he wanted his study to have and designed his methodology to achieve them.

This researcher also calls the various sciences 'faiths' or 'religions' because they are based on assumptions just like Christianity is (rolls eyes) and he also believes in "intelligent" design (ID). He also actively proselytizes on the SFU campus.

ETA - I do understand what your point is morgana! I just wanted to poke a stick at this research and its author. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 02:22PM by spaghetti oh.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:27AM

Having taught children of both heterosexual and homosexual couples, I can tell you that the parent's sexual orientation is not a factor. What are factors are being able to meet the child's physical and emotional needs.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 10:20AM

Why are you so often the voice of reason? Anyway +1. I was going to say I don't need a study to figure out that the proper skills for raising a child have nothing to do with who you are attracted to.

Posted by: Deja Vue ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 12:30AM

Wonder if the nome de plume of the OP doesn't speak volumes about this thread.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.