Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillsmallforce ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 12:03AM

Watching for an official LDS response, if any, given Monson’s awards from the Boy Scouts of America and the World Organization of the Scout Movement, and having a natural wonder mockingly destroyed by Utah BSA leaders, affiliated with his LDS organization, in a Utah State Park, while disregarding the mission and values of Scouting.

These are Monson’s awards as described on the official LDS website “thomassmonson.org”:

President Monson is the recipient of the Boy Scouts of America Silver Beaver Award (1971), Silver Buffalo Award (1978), and of international Scouting’s highest award, the Bronze Wolf (1993).

Here are the descriptions of the BSA awards as found on Wikipedia:

The Silver Beaver Award is the council-level distinguished service award of the Boy Scouts of America. Recipients of this award are registered adult leaders who have made an impact on the lives of youth through service given to the council.[1] The Silver Beaver is an award given to those who implement the Scouting program and perform community service through hard work, self-sacrifice, dedication, and many years of service. It is given to those who do not actively seek it.

The Silver Buffalo Award is the national-level distinguished service award of the Boy Scouts of America. It is presented for noteworthy and extraordinary service to youth on a national basis, either as part of, or independent of the Scouting program. The award is made by the National Court of Honor and the recipient need not be a registered member of the BSA.

As for a description of the World Organization of the Scout Movement’s “Bronze Wolf” award, here is the transcript of Monson receiving the award during a 1993 General Priesthood Conference.

Scouting Award Presented to President Thomas S. Monson

Following Elder Carlos H. Amado’s address, President Gordon B. Hinckley, First Counselor in the First Presidency, introduced executives of the world Boy Scout organization prior to their presenting President Thomas S. Monson, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, with the Bronze Wolf Award:

We are honored to have with us this evening Mr. Jere B. Ratcliffe, chief Scout executive; Mr. Eugene F. “Bud” Reid, member of the National Executive Board and International Committee of the Boy Scouts of America and immediate past president of the World Scout Committee; and Mr. C. Michael Hoover, assistant chief Scout executive. It is my privilege to call on Mr. Ratcliffe and then Mr. Reid, who will make a special presentation to President Thomas S. Monson, Second Counselor in the First Presidency. President Monson will then address us. Mr. Ratcliffe, please.

Mr. Ratcliffe:
It is indeed an honor for me to be at the general priesthood conference on this occasion of recognizing President Thomas Monson with International Scouting’s Bronze Wolf Award. President Monson is one of the Boy Scouts of America’s most distinguished friends and the longest-tenured member of our national executive board, having begun his service with election in 1969.

During that period of time, the Boy Scouts of America and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have enjoyed an unprecedented partnership in the development of young men. The partnership between the LDS Church and the BSA is, to me, a precious one. It is precious because of our organizations and what they embrace in terms of similar basic beliefs—beliefs that include a commitment to religious principles and to strong, traditional family values.

The leadership of the Boy Scouts of America recognizes that religious principles are the important part of life. When a young man begins to grow in his faith, he will begin to grow from within and thereby be better prepared to make a positive difference in our society.

Scouting also continues to emphasize the traditional family values. President David O. McKay, a great and supportive Scouter, often stated, and I quote: “No success can compensate for failure in the home.” Together Scouting and the Church continue to encourage the growth of family value and of family values.

President Monson has helped the Boy Scouts of America remain very much focused on our mutual basic beliefs. He is an exceptional Scouter. He has very much dedicated his life to upholding and to placing into practice the teachings of the Church and the mission of the Boy Scouts of America, a mission of teaching values to last a lifetime.

On behalf of all your Scouting colleagues, President Monson, I wish to congratulate you and to wish to you and your lovely wife, Frances, much continued happiness and success.

Mr. Reid:
By virtue of the authority vested in me by the World Scout Committee, I have the honor and the privilege to present the Bronze Wolf Award to Thomas S. Monson. This is the only award given by the World Organization of the Scout Movement. I would like to ask President Monson to please arise.
I shall now read the citation for the award of the Bronze Wolf.

“President Thomas S. Monson, U.S.A., Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Member, National Executive Board, Boy Scouts of America

President Monson has been active in Scouting throughout his life. As a Scout in his youth, he achieved the rank of Life Scout and later served as Explorer and Institutional Representative.

Within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he has directed the activities of Scouting at many levels. He has served as a merit badge counselor and also as a member of the Canadian LDS Scouting Committee and chaplain at a Canadian Jamboree. He was a member of the General Scouting Committee of the Church for ten years. For the past several years, he has been involved in a Scouting for Food drive to aid the poor of the community.

In 1969, Thomas S. Monson became a member of the National Executive Board of Boy Scouts of America, where he also serves as a member of the International Committee. He is a recipient of the Silver Buffalo Award and has represented Boy Scouts of America as a delegate to the World Conferences in Tokyo, Nairobi and Copenhagen.

In his assignments throughout the world as a leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, President Monson has worked tirelessly to bring about the advancement of Scouting in many countries. He has worked closely with the World Organization of the Scout Movement to find ways to strengthen the links between the Church and national Scout associations. He is a committed, solid, hard-working volunteer in the Scout Movement. His Scouting leadership has been exemplary.
I will now place around the neck of Thomas S. Monson the Bronze Wolf.”

General Priesthood Session, October 2, 1993

http://www.lds.org/ensign/print/1993/11/scouting-award-presented-to-president-thomas-s-monson?lang=eng&clang=eng

And here is the Deseret News article the following day:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/313128/PRES-MONSON-GETS-INTERNATIONAL-SCOUTINGS-TOP-HONOR.html?pg=all

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 12:39AM

Here's an interesting factoid... Monson was given his prestigious Scouting Awards and he NEVER worked with a troop. He most likely never went on a camp out as a Scout leader.

If he did it was VERY early in his church service. He was a Bishop at 22 and soon after that a mission president. He has been an apostle since 1963. Fifty years!

He was an apostle when he was awarded these bullshit trophies for committing OUR money to Scouting and forcing generations of YM into the program.

Meanwhile committed and trained LDS Scout leaders get no money from the church to run decent programs. The majority of the leaders are like those three jackasses destroying history.

Scouting has its flaws and may not survive the next five years, but it would be in their interest to dump the LDS church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 12:42AM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 04:10AM

LOL - sorry but the SILVER BEAVER award sounds like something a young prostitute should get before going for the the gold.... maybe one of JSs young wives perhaps?
I said sorry, just saying.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 10:58AM

Just because you have a medal, doesn't mean you deserve it. None of these North Korean generals were old enough to have fired a shot in combat, but yet they all have tons and tons of medals.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NNCaePti2MI/UQ7RvpeRhLI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/bXLj2TJsD90/s1600/nK+Generals.jpeg

They probably mean as much as the awards and medals that General Authorities collect.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 11:06AM

This is akin to Obama receiving the Nobel Peace Prize.

My ass ...............

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 10:35PM

A former county commission in Western Washington, turned small town cop ran for the state legislature. In his campaign he claimed to be a purple heart recipient.

Nothing from any branch of the military.

It was an award present by his fellow cops, as a joke, for an injury on the job. Some dog bit him on the ass.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 04:57PM

To be fair, a LOT of the people who receive the Silver Buffalo are not who I would consider being "worthy" of such an award.

A few years ago, Jeff Gordon (the Nascar driver) was awarded a Silver Buffalo for being part of BSA's national ad campaign or something.

A lot of the others are people who give large sums of money to support the salaries of the professional scouters or donate land to the BSA. I think about 80% of the recipients have never been a Scoutmaster or worked directly with a troop.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 01:22AM

My ex was a longtime scouter. He did put in a lot of time and effort - as a scout leader (although I knew of several scouts in his groups who personally detested him) and now he has climbed the ranks into national-level leadership.

Last I heard, he was re-writing parts of the scout training manual for adult leaders "for the new millennium" (the early drafts of which must have been howlingly funny, because I know from first- hand experience that the man had very little grasp of spelling, grammar, or punctuation.)

But I also know and can testify that in his home, he was a monster. He was verbally destructive to both me and verbally/physically to our son, until our son got big enough to fight back. (My son is an adult now, with his own family, and has very little contact with his father.)

All I can say is that if this the kind of person that BSA wants in leadership positions, they are a very sick group.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.