Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: YBU ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 06:02PM

Now I wish I had kept the letter that I was sent after resigning from tscc in 1983. It was SO awful and it said things like "your soul is in jeopardy...and if I remember it had threatening dialog about eternal salvation and a whole lotta crap like that.

Did anyone keep that letter? I would love to know the text of it again. If you do have yours could you post the text?

I just saw a new one that was posted on Facebook, and wow, it is sure a toned down version when I recall the one I was sent. I hadn't been a believer for YEARS and I still almost threw up when I got that letter from those bozos in downtown salt lake. I guess some things have changed!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 26, 2013 12:40PM

Hoping someone will still have the letter from tscc after resignation...the wording was harsh.

Posted by: EVOLUTION ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 01:21PM

this is how they write it in europe year 2013:

Dear Brother Douchbag

Thank you for returning your letter requesting that your name is removed from Church records. I respect your reasons, but saddened at the same time.

I am writing to you to confirm that your name has been removed from the rocords of The Church of jesus christ of the latter day saints.

We wish you well in your life, and preyer (that's how they wrote- prayer, may be because of this mistake I can't be consider out ...u never know whith morg) that your relationship with Heavenly Father will be one that you can be happy with.

Yours Sincerely

Bishop Dick

the letter mentions RESPECT. there was no respect. there was a pure humiliation during the court of love. but that bitch got back 10 times more. the whole ward was on the brink of losing their testimonies and Dick's 2nd anointing now is postponed or even canceled. I organized my own court of love for the Dick.

Date: October 26, 2013 01:27PM

My letter from them included really awful things about my soul and eternal salvation and made me cringe and feel sick. I have searched all over to see if there is a record of any of those letters and can't believe the google god isn't delivering. I hope someone has one of those original letters and could share it on the web. Sure wish I had saved mine now!

Posted by: feelinglight ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 01:26PM

who the heck do these people think they are. Oh, yah, God's right hand men....hahahaha.....they do not have the power to decide my fate and future. Only God has that.....
I hate them all.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 01:28PM

Um I thought no one could resign until after 1985. My understanding is that if you tried to resign before then, they would just ex you.

Date: October 26, 2013 01:39PM

I don't even remember how I did it but I do know that the letter I received said they would have a meeting and that I should show up to it. Of course I didn't...like I was going to validate any of their BS. But whatever they sent me included all of this stuff about my soul and eternity and stuff like that. It was UBER CREEPY so I threw it away, dang it. wish I had it now...I would scan it and post it, hope someone else saved theirs and can help me remember it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 04:59PM

You got a letter after they ex'd you. I threw mine out.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 01:46PM

Mine was very short. It just said that they removed my name, as per my request and should I want back in, I'd have to talk to my Bishop. Something like that.

Date: October 26, 2013 01:53PM

I just saw one posted on Facebook and it wasn't even dramatic or threatening at all. That is why I suddenly want to remember what they sent me. It was definitely before 1985 and so I guess they didn't allow anyone to just resign you had to be excommunicated. But they still sent an awful letter and it would be great to revisit it for historical purposes.

Posted by: 1997resignee ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 02:57PM

http://www.exmormon.org/whylft73.htm - See item 3:

[Church Letterhead]
[Address & date]

Dear Brother J:

I have received your request asking that your name be removed from the records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I will, of course, honor that request and begin the process at once.

I would, however, ask that you give careful consideration to the action that you have requested. The eternal implications are serious and I would be remiss in my responsibilities as a Bishop in the Church if I failed to advise you concerning them. The Lord has provided each of us with a simple plan and opportunity to return to him through obedience to his laws and commandments. You once accepted and embraced those concepts but now feel that they no longer have a place in your life. At this point, I'm not completely aware of your reasons for leaving the Church, but I would inform you, should you allow this to proceed, to continue, it could have eternal consequences on your life. Please take a very close look at your decision and be very, very sure that this is what you really want.

As you stated in your letter, I will hold this request for 30 days before submitting it to Salt Lake and should you reconsider your request and decide not to have your name removed, you may contact President _____ at the address or phone listed below. May the Lord bless you in your search for happiness and may you find peace in what ever course you set.

Sincerely,

Bishop

[address & phone of Stake Pres.]

Date: October 26, 2013 04:55PM

THANK you for finding this text! It was driving me crazy trying to remember it. The one you posted is definitely more what I remember, not this mamby pamby stuff that they are sending out today! Mine was a hell, fire and damnation scare tactic! Thanks!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 02:59PM

I left before 1985 and was not communicated.

The bishop called me and threatened to excommunicate me because of my bad attitude. I told him if he used the word "excommunicate" in acknowledging my resignation, he would be talking to my attorney and I would definitely file suit.

My bad attitude and those of many others contributed to forcing the church to halt the shaming process of putting people who resigned on record as having been excommunicated -- AND THEN telling people who telephoned in what your membership status was!

Try getting a job in Utah with THAT on your record.

Anagrammy

Date: October 26, 2013 04:56PM

Wow, good for you! Oh and just being a woman made it tough enough to get a job in Utah!

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 06:20PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 06:29PM

I remember the letter saying all my blessings were being withdrawn (?)

So...because I left, God no longer needs my tithing? Great! Send it back!

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.