Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:09PM

What happened to the videos on YouTube where on Larry King Live Gorden B Hinckley said he was not aware of the Church teaching the couplet about god used to be a man and we can become a god?

Did the church get them removed or flagged all of them or something else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:43PM

I've never seen that one on you tube.

There are a few other clips. Hinckley obfuscating polygamy and basically seems to be lying on Larry King orat least giving out false info. Hinckley denying DNA has concluded anything ( Bible vs DNA Video I think) and Hinckley lying about LDS accounts being available to those who contribute to a German reporter.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 02:43PM

Here are a couple of places he said it

Gordon B. Hinckley, Time Magazine, interview, August, 1997
Question: ... about that, God the Father was once a man as we were. This is something that Christian writers are always addressing. Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?
Hinckley: I don’t know that we teach it. I don’t know that we emphasize it. I haven’t heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don’t know. I don’t know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don’t know a lot about it and I don’t know that others know a lot about it.

Gordon B. Hinckley, San Francisco Chronicle, April 13, 1997, p 3/Z1
Question: "Don't Mormons believe that God was once a man?"
Hinckley: "I wouldn't say that. There was a little couplet coined, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Now that's more of a couplet than anything else."

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 02:54PM

The lies on Larry King were that polygamy was restricted to 2-5% of the LDS population in Utah.

He was with Mike Wallace when asked if he was a prophet, and he replied that he was sustained as such.

Date: March 05, 2014 03:00PM

Mike Wallace was also the 1978 revelation allowing blacks the priesthood and Mormon racism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 03:51PM by Jim Huston.

Posted by: HopefulNOM ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 03:02PM

OMG this from the Ensign is crazy when compared to that Hinckley interview.

It's from a '80s ensign. The article is discussing the Lorenzo Snow quote "AS man now is, God once was"blah blah blah...

It ends with "It is clear that the teaching of President Lorenzo Snow is both acceptable and accepted doctrine in the Church today."

Not the same as "I don't know that we teach it."

But the top of the link states "Questions of general gospel interest answered for guidance, not as official statements of Church policy." Maybe they should preface everything the 12 say with that so they can change their minds whenever they want.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1982/02/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

Date: March 05, 2014 03:05PM

He was pretty specific in a 1994 conference

As God is Man May Become
Gordon B. Hinckley, General Conference, October 1994
"On the other hand, the whole design of the gospel is to lead us onward and upward to greater achievement, even, eventually, to godhood. This great possibility was enunciated by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the King Follet sermon (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 342-62); and emphasized by President Lorenzo Snow. It is this grand and incomparable concept: As God now is, man may become!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 04:03PM

Wow, and he still denied it after.

I watched the Larry King interview when he denied it. I was a bit confused and also relieved because I didn't like explaining weird doctrine either. "I don't know" was a good cop out, that's whatI learned for the 'prophet'.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.