Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:47PM

I need to know as soon as possible. When father's bless their babies in F and T, do they have to be found worthy,be interviewed by the bishop? Or can any priesthood holding father bless his baby if he wants to?

I remember fathers not blessing their babies, watching someone else do it and I need some details about the whole thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hairfanatic ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 11:08PM

I know when my sister's son was born their bishop blessed it. My brother in law didn't participate. They weren't active at the time. I know he was struggeling with the church, so I don't know if the bishop thought he was unworthy, or if he just didn't believe in it at the time.

Posted by: Ruby2 ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 12:18AM

I think there was a thread about this a few weeks ago! Maybe do a board search? From what I remember fathers can only bless at home but not in church if they aren't "worthy". Double check because I may have it all twisted.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 12:36AM

Mom wanted me to bless our kids (Dad and I never discussed it) , and I was an elder at the time, but I wasn't active, had married a Catholic and I'd decided I wasn't going to subject them to Mormonism even before we had kids.
And I HATED WITH A PASSION sitting through all the weepy baby blessings (and blubbering testimonies)at F&T...from when I was little kid....not wired "correctly" from the get go to me a Mormon I guess. Oh, and in my heart I wasn't "worthy" by church standards for one day of my life....

Ron Burr

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 12:47AM

I think Bishop's discretion. Nice guy? No problem. Asshole? Not until you pay your back tithing.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 12:52AM

I think that if you want to do it outside your home ward, they ask to see a temple recommend. In your home ward, I think the bishop can decide. If you do a blessing in your home, there is more flexibility - my neverMo husband held the babies while my dad blessed them with uncles, etc. my dad was regarded highly enough he just filled out paperwork after and nobody cared. Frankly, if we had another kid I think I might propose we make up our own "welcome baby" ceremony.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 01:05AM

In theory you need a bishops permission.

However there is a loophole. You may name a baby and give them a blessing of health at anytime without any permission required. Thus avoiding the whole shebang.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 01:21AM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 07:04AM

Interestingly the policy USED to be that a non-Mo father could
stand in the circle, but not give the blessing. However a
faithful Mormon mother could not stand in the circle. I don't
know what it is now.

Penis possession has its privileges.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 08:38AM

1. Non-mos or "unworthy" mos not even allowed in circle.
2. I gave the blessings for two GDs out of town without anyone checking for my TR. The blessings got raves although I didn't say anything about "marrying a worthy man in the temple" etc.

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 09:40AM

I've had more than one of my children blessed in recent years while I have been a disfellowshipped member. We had to get a "worthy" man to do it. I have held the baby while others blessed and I have also sat out entirely, depending on my preference (in which case my wife held the baby during the blessing). These blessings were done in my home, since I was unwilling to submit myself to the shame of doing it in SM, for all the ward to speculate why I wasn't giving the blessing. Guys participating from other wards did have to show their recommends. A member of the bishopric was present each time, but I don't know if that was required.
From the other posts, it sounds like the details of what can be done are going to be up to the OP's bishop.

As a parting shot, I want to say that people should do whatever they want for their child, priesthood holder or not. If one spouse demands doing it the church way, the other should be able to do something in their own way. Do something to make this kind of thing a beautiful event. Acknowledge that it can be very painfully shaming for a father not to be able to do this. I hate it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.