Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 06:39PM

Can you get a temple recommend while smoking e-cigarettes? Since the WoW only mentions tobacco, then it should be okay. I'll bet a lot of Bishops are dealing with that problem these days.

Nicotine is a calming drug, so it should help keep certain members off Xanax and temple worthy.

I do not recommend taking it up. I'll bet it is a bear to quit that habit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 06:40PM

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 06:59PM

I don't care what they say, there is still exhaust coming out that I do not want to breath.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 09:00AM

The "exhaust" is water vapor. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:06PM

exactly. Any smell from the vapor is due to the flavoring you choose, and even then it dissipates rather quickly

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:38PM

The following is not an endorsement of E-cig as a completely safe alternative to tobacco products.

However...

E-cig has succeeded in helping me get rid of the tobacco habit--which is in my opinion, hundreds of times safer than any form of tobacco.

Any adverse articles you read are likely being funded by either the tobacco companies or Big Pharma--which stand to lose big time profits. If you believe their BS you can be fairly certain you have, once again, been sucked into a false belief system by yet another FOR PROFIT corporation.

Will it be difficult quitting the E-cig habit? Maybe. and I'm expecting to do so...soon. But in the meantime I am much better off health wise than I was a year ago...

Oh..and if your concerned about breathing my 2nd hand water vapor, consider buying a gas mask as there are a lot more harmful things in our atmosphere than my expended H20 mist.

...and I say these things in the name of cheezyricencrackersamen.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 02:53PM

I think there's plenty about e-cigs that we don't know about, vapor or not. Nicotine in liquid form is lethal...lord knows what it does to the lungs and nervous system long term. Of course, there are plenty of people who will say just because it's vapor, it's not harmful. We shall see. Having said that, if it helps someone break the tobacco habit, more power to them!!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 06:24PM

My son would blow the e-cig "exhaust" right into my face to see if I could guess what flavor it was. All I felt was some mist. I don't even think the tobacco-flavored ones smell, and I'm very sensitive to the smell of cigarettes and hate it so badly.

However, I still have yet to see anyone get completely off cigs with e-cigs. So I doubt there have been many, if any, members who are trying to get temple recommends claiming they're off cigs.

And it will just be like decaf coffee and tea. It's not about health. The WoW is NOT a health code in any way. It's about obedience. It's about how stupid they can be and get you to go along.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 07:08PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 07:09PM

My son switched to e-cigs, and my wife and I couldn't be happier. He smokes outside the house. When he smoked cigarettes, the smell got into the house and was irritating. E-cigs have far less smell, and no smoke to come in through doors and windows. I hope my son can kick the habit someday, but I'm glad he's not inhaling all the tars and particles now.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 07:12PM

BF uses an E-cig in between smoking his cigarrillos. It doesn't stink up the house, but it's still not good for you. If I had to give him an ultimatum though, I would have him chose the E-cigs. Better yet, I wish he would just quit.

I tried it a couple of times to see what it was like and it tastes like smoking crystal meth. Yuck.

Date: April 11, 2014 02:03PM

Good on your BF.
IMO, if he replaces just one cigarillo with an equivalent amount of E-cig vapor, he's much better off over the long haul.
I hope he can give up the tobacco completely.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 07:50PM

What TSSC thinks about it is of zero interest.

What the facts are is of more interest: the vast majority
of e-cigarette users do not quit smoking; they become
dual users, smoking and vaping. Unfortunately this
does not help much; the heart disease risks are almost
the same, and the lung disease and cancer risks are
still way above nonsmoker.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 08:26PM

e-cigs have replaced barb-wire tattoos as the white trash mating call.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:02PM

erictheex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> e-cigs have replaced barb-wire tattoos as the
> white trash mating call.
=====================
That's White and DELIGHTSOME trash to you, sir!

And yeah, I used to live in a trailer, too.
Knock yourself out putting that down, why don'tcha.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:04PM

e-cigs are expensive too. So it doesn't quite fit into your insult really

Date: April 28, 2014 06:13PM

Its not an insult to the poor. Being white trash does not have to do with money. In my opinion Donald Trump is white Trash, jenny mccarthy is white trash...so your wounded heart comment does not apply. Plenty of people of dignity and class live in trailer parks.

Ecigs are trashy. they just are. The yare the lowest form of someone trying to be "classy".

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 12:49AM

I don't think even research has been done to determine whether or not the ecigs and/or vaping is good or bad for our bodies.

However, from my own personal experience, it HAS been good for me. I smoked for 20 years and tried everything under the sun to quit -- nicotine gum, pills, patches, you name it. Not a single thing worked. Vaping has helped and I have not had a cigarette since September. Even when I'm with friends who still smoke, I don't want a cigarette. Most of the people I know who use these contraptions have quit smoking.

You can cut down on the amount of nicotine that is in your "juice" (the liquid you put in your ecig or vaporizer) over time. There is no smoke but rather, steam.

Overall, I feel better, smell better and it's a less expensive habit.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 12:27PM

I think you would have a hard time convincing a bishop that smoking e-cigs are not the same as smoking regular cigs. It would still be classified as smoking.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:30PM

No, I disagree. It's vaping. There's no smoke, so I don't see how it can be classified as smoking. The user is inhaling nicotine-laced vapor. If there was smoke, everything would be stinky, but that is not the case.

Date: April 28, 2014 06:15PM

wow, then you must be addicted to water vapor. its nocotine htat is evaported, not all goes in the body of the user. its not health, and yes it is a cigarrette, try "vaping" on a plane.

Date: April 11, 2014 01:52PM

No surprise that an ignorant bishop would not accept the E-cig.
They won't even accept the massive amount of PROVEN DNA evidence against the Book a Marmin.
Bishops are not free to make their own decisions on much of anything not in the Handbook.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 06:45PM

I'm guessing they're now making ones that release more vapor, because I was walking down the street and crossed paths with someone who let out quite a fog and it smelled of menthol, or something like it.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 06:51PM

E-Cigarettes make it easier to continue to consume nicotine.

Is it safer? Very likely. Most US based makers of e-juice use water, FDA approved food flavorings, and either vegi-based glycerin (VG), propylene glycol (PG), or both. The big "scare tactic" that I keep hearing is that PG is used in anti-freeze, which it is. But it is also used in food, medicine (oral, inhaled, and injected).

The biggest concern is the "flavorings". Some of the tobacco flavorings are made with tobacco which may be a risk. The most dangerous flavoring I know of is diacetyl, which is what gives microwave popcorn it's buttery flavor... this is known to cause lung cancer when inhaled.

The other concern is children drinking the e-juice. Some e-juice comes in child resistant bottles, but not all...

As for addiction... tobacco contains other compounds that amplify addiction, however nicotine is still highly addictive on it's own. I find that the urge to smoke is less with e-cigs than after smoking traditional cigs, but it is still an addiction.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:05PM

Just as stupid and fucked up as the real thing....and I'm an ex-smoker...

Ron Burr

Posted by: nolomo ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:59PM

I quit smoking four years ago this summer using the e cig. I used it for about two months, sparingly. Worked like a charm.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 08:20PM

That devil nicotine should be gotten behind one.. I take snuff, so I know. E-cigs should be used as a tapering-off tool at best.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 08:25PM

Related question: Can a TBM in California get a medical marijuana recommendation from his doctor (aka "weed card") and still be eligible for a TR?

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 08:36PM

A better question might be; "who cares about whether they get a TR?" That shit is all fakery.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 08:42PM

I know someone who still believes and has terrible arthritis and insomnia.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 08:34PM

E-cig vapors can definitely be smelled by other people. I had a co-worker that would vape inside and it gave me horrendous headaches. If you're using an e-cig make sure it's someplace well ventilated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.