Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 09:09AM

Yesterday I went to a baby dedication (similar to a baby blessing) for my new niece at my inlaw's Christian church.

It's been over a year since I've been to any service, and longer since I've stepped foot in a Mormon church.

Because it is about an hour away and DH wasn't in any kind of hurry, we were late. We were met by ushers and marched right up to the very front center, 3 feet away from the pastor and worship team.

Everyone was standing and singing, and as I was standing there looking around, I started to shake and feel like I was going to hyperventilate. I thought I had it under control when DH looked over and asked what was wrong. I had tears streaming down my face.

I had the overwhelming desire to turn and run down the aisle and out of the building and just keep going. I ended up sitting down through the rest of the songs and trying to calm down and discreetly wipe the tears away.

I spent the rest of the meeting mentally trying to be somewhere else so I wouldn't start crying again. It was awful, and made me never want to go anywhere near any church again.

DH tried really hard to be understanding but I couldn't even figure out where it all came from so suddenly, so I definitely couldn't explain it.

Last time we went I felt weird and uncomfortable with the vastly different style, but didn't end up a crying shaky mess. Is this how it's going to be from now on? Will I be able to support family at special church events without freaking out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 09:24AM

It's possible that it was the beginnings of a panic attack. You might consult your physician about it the next time you see him or her. My panic attacks manifest somewhat differently. I start to breathe in a rapid, shallow manner, feeling that I can not get enough air. I get chest pains. I feel that I am about to pass out. I got them occasionally while driving to a particularly dreadful and stressful job assignment. Understanding that I'm having a panic attack helps. Unfortunately there is not much that you can do about it.

You might try sitting toward the back of the church. Tell the ushers that you may need to exit quickly to get some air. I would give that a try before giving up on church events altogether. Do you get this reaction at the LDS ward house as well, or just other churches?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 11:06AM

Sounds like a panic attack. PTSD. You heard or saw something, or just the environment in general triggered your feelings of anxiety, trauma, and stress.

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 12:13PM

Atleast you don't have to be so embarrassed. People probably thought you were soooo touched by the spirit, that it brought you to tears. :)

Hopefully next time you won't feel so stuck. Opt for a seat near the back exit or just don't go in. (Ushers are usually polite, if you tell them you do not want to go up front, etc.)

OR just send a nice card and stay home next time.

I get panic attacks when I'm in a room full of Mormons. I don't know why it stresses me out so. But luckily the encounters are less and less. And with extended family I set a timer on my watch... then exit the room quickly when my set amount of time is up. I love going to the car or an empty room, just so I can breath again. Right now I don't like giving more than 2hrs of my time. Taking breaks help a lot.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 12:40PM

That is true, I know his mom thought I was just so touched by it. I hope that doesn't mean they start trying to get us to come every week...

I would have loved to sit or even stand at the back, but DH's sister had saved us the seats right up front by her, and since we were late, there were absolutely no other seats in the place.

At least when they had the whole family come up front for the blessing part, my other niece insisted on me holding her so I could hide behind her cuteness.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 02:06PM

The more I disbelieved the more I had problems when I was at church. I didn't cry but felt like running away and like I was going crazy.

Stopping going to church cured me.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:51PM

foggy, your symptoms sound familiar to me. I've had a lot of panic attacks, and they usually begin with an undefined sense of fear and alienation. Hyperventilation and nervous shaking ensue. The impulse to flee is almost overwhelming.

If this has only happened to you once, it may be a one time thing. If it repeats, see a doctor. Medication was necessary in my case. Best wishes for you,

--Don

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.