Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 12:52AM

TSCC claims that the decision to excommunicate Kate Kelly came from local leaders and was not coordinated by SLC. However,

"2News has learned from several sources in the Virginia area, that disciplinary action against Kate Kelly, founder of Ordain Women came not from leaders in her former LDS congregation in that state, but rather church leaders in Salt Lake City",

And, according to the article, these leaders were M Russell Ballard and Whitney Clayton.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_12001.shtml

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 12:53AM by hangar18.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:01AM

Remember Proposition 8 in California, 2008? Who were the three General Authorities of the Church sponsored video broadcast instructing the members to mobilize against marriage equality?

Answer:
1) Elder M. RUSSELL BALLARD, Quorum of Twelve Apostles
2) Elder QUENTIN L. COOK, Quorum of Twelve Apostles
3) Elder L. WHITNEY CLAYTON, Presidency of the Seventy (one of seven presidents)

Sources:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdy-vgfI8zU
http://www.scribd.com/doc/25518399/Lds-Mormon-Oct-8-Prop-8-Broadcast
https://www.lds.org/church/leader/l-whitney-clayton?lang=eng

O/T Question: Could Ballard be grooming Clayton as the next Apostle? After the fallout from Prop 8, Clayton was reassigned to another regional area that did not include California. Currently he serves as a member of the Public Affairs Committee. He was a business litigation attorney in Newport Beach, CA, from 1981-2001 (LDS.org).

Question:
What happened to TSCC's popularity in surveys after the California Prop 8 initiative fall-out headed by Clayton / Ballard / Cook?

Answer:
. . . "The image conscious Mormon church received such a pounding from all it did during the Prop 8 campaign that they decided they better play nice and quit all their gay-bashing. The church's own pollster Gary C Lawrence told the Washington Post that after Prop 8, the Mormon church LOST 5% OF ITS PUBLIC SUPPORT AND WAS TIED WITH MUSLIMS AS THE LEAST POPULAR OF MAJOR RELIGIONS IN AMERICA." (Emphasis added) http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/29/mormon-church-gay-marriage-lobbying?commentpage=1

I guess TSCC wants to take another negative PR hit in popularity by using Ballard and Clayton (from the Public Affairs Committee). After watching the KUTV news segment its beginning to sound like Clayton might be another 'grizzly bear.'

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 01:34PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:04AM

It's beginning to appear that these are the three that are running the show. It certainly isn't Monson and Packer.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 09:23AM

They all "run the show", but they're responsible for different aspects.

They're all split up into various committees. I have a list of them all and who's in each committee (as of February 2013, although by the looks of things they move people around occasionally). A few examples of committees are:

Public Affairs Committee
Strengthening Church Members Committee
Scriptures Committee
Boundary and Leadership Change Committee
Budget and Appropriations Committee

The list of people on the Public Affairs Committee are:

Perry
Q. Cook
Rasband
Clayton
Stevenson

It seems to be mainly Apostles and GAs on these committees. Some people (mainly Apostles) appear on multiple committees. There's also a few females in some of the committees.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:17AM

Do share more, please.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:51AM

I might type the whole thing out (or screenshot it) and put it in another thread. But here's what Packer is involved with, if anybody is interested:

Budget and Appropriations Committee
General Welfare Committee
Deseret Management Corporation Board
Area Committee
General Authority Assignment Committee
Leadership and Training Committee

The Budget and Appropriations Committee meet every Tuesday morning at 10:30 a.m. in the West Board Room (don't know where that is). They have a holiday in July.

The General Welfare Committee meet once every 3 months on a Wednesday morning at 10 a.m. in the First Presidency Council Room (don't know where that is either, although it must be quite big, as there almost 30 people in this meeting)

The Deseret Management Corporation Board meet once every 6 months (but schedule extra meetings when needed) at 10 a.m. in the West Board Room.

The Area Committee consists of the 12 Apostles and 13 GAs. Maybe these 13 GAs are likely candidates for future Apostles?Interestingly, the 1st Presidency aren't in this committee, so Packer is the highest up here!

The General Authority Assignment Committee consists of Packer another Apostle and a GA.

The Leadership and Training Committee consists of Packer, 3 other Apostles and a GA.

Posted by: Bob...not registered ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:16AM

Plausible deniability.

GA: "It is an act of apostasy."

Local bish: "Oh."

GA: "Do your duty."

Frankly, the fact that she is asking leaders of tscc to ask god about ordaining women is not apostasy under any normal English definition of the word. Once again, tscc is asking members to suspend reality for a minute while they repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot.

Someone here asked who is really running the church. The answer: there is an enormous leadership vacuum in the great and spacious building. It is just a bunch of mid level managers trying to out-obey one another.

Stupid cult.

Date: June 17, 2014 01:31AM

Another interesting point is that after discovering the lies, 2News asked for an interview with Whitney Clayton, but were denied. How convenient.

I'm glad to see that one news station in Utah is at least attempting to not be entirely controlled by the Cult.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:33AM

the Corp is 'beyond lying' to keep itself going...

(catching up) Did KK criticize leaders? did she 'call them out'?

this is how they operate: Intimidation, which is also bullying.

No Scruples beyond earrings/tattoos/white shirts.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:55AM

Pretty cowardly and despicable to put media pressure like that on the local leaders, who are unpaid volunteer clergy, instead of on the highly paid TSCC executives where it rightly belongs.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:14AM

Yes... and I hope 'local leaders' are paying attention.

Date: June 17, 2014 11:23AM

Yes!
Hopefully local leaders will see firsthand the rampant dishonesty coming from SLC and will realize the GAs are despicable demons instead of infallible saints.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:57AM

It's great to see it out there. I am going to send this to Eric to archive next weekend :)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 09:10AM

I watched that news report last night and was just astonished at the level of deception TSCC tried to pull. It is almost like they can't help themselves. Go KUTV! Don't let up on the pressure!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 09:50AM

Can't have an uppity news station in Zion, you know.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 09:57AM

I was pretty amazed as I watched it. There were some comments that they quoted in their story that were pretty shocking--like that KUTV was seeing things in what had happened that weren't there.

I am amazed that they don't see how stupid the LDS leaders appear to many of us--and I'm sure it isn't just exmos or nonmos. There are plenty of LDS people who work at KUTV. I wonder what they are thinking.

Date: June 17, 2014 10:12AM

Exactly-- TSCC called KUTV's allegations "bizarre", although the proof was right there in front of their faces.
The Cult has grown so accustomed to lying, it's just part of their everyday routine. It's shocking that so many people still believe everything the Cult says.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:00AM

I was at a professional conference last week in the Midwest and several at the conference (nonmembers) were talking about the possible excommunication. They thought Mormons are crazy. People are talking.

I love the church leadership. They do all they can to keep the membership numbers down.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:03AM

Cook and Clayton are lawyers and Ballard a car salesman.

Apologies for the ad hominem and I do not mean to cast aspersions on all the many honest lawyers and car salesmen in the world.

But come off it, the ONLY way the church survives is by lying.

Date: June 17, 2014 10:06AM

I can see KUTV receiving tremendous pressure from the Cult to pull/retract this story. It may be a good idea to save this news video out on YouTube (or other) before it is no longer available. Any volunteers?

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:09AM

With regards to being interviewed, the church is in a lose-lose situation. If a church leader (i.e. GA or higher) gets interviewed, then they'll definitely come off badly. But if they decline an interview, it looks suspicious and the general public will probably assume they're guilty.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:25AM

Ballard was in the area just a few weeks ago. Maybe he met with the KK's Stake Prez and Bishop?

https://www.lds.org/church/news/stay-anchored-in-gospel-elder-ballard-tells-military-families?lang=eng

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:30PM

I think Whitney Clayton was a draft dodger, similar to Mitt.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:44PM

He was born in 1950.

So he would have been subject to the Vietnam draft. He would have been 22 or 23 when Nixon ended it.

I know nothing about his back story, never even heard of the guy until today, but he definitely became of draft age at the height of the Vietnam war.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:30AM

This obviously is not a/ the true church... as they are keeping with the early practices of fabricating, making up stories (and "truths") lying, covering up, raking over, ignoring and denying stories, people, practices, facts and truth.

Anybody with any sense at all and/ or any knowledge of TSCC's history and practices knows that this decision, like all of this nature, came from the top.

Why lie?
To follow the founder Joseph Smith's law.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:47AM

The church excommunicates, not the local "leaders", which are actually followers.

The real leaders are the ones being excommunicated, resigning, or dropping out.

M@t

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:58AM

As Paul Toscano said, Excommunication is the highest ordinance
in Mormonism.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:59AM

It is blatantly obvious that the local leaders are not the initiators of the excommunication threats against KK and JD. Anybody who believes that bulls**t is a candidate to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

Posted by: freetochoose ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:02AM

Great stuff. Thanks!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:06AM

Now whose church is the Church of Lies?

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:20AM

They must answer members' questions of doubt when there are no answers but the higher-ups insist members go to local leaders.
No support or affirmation from higher-ups.

They get told to read letters (e.g. prop 8) demanding support from membership but get no support or confirmation from higher-ups. ("We don't get involved in politics")

They get called to bishop and stake pres. work-horse positions with no pay nor adequate funds to operate the local wards while the silent, smug big guys collect big bucks.

They are forced to do the dirty work of church discipline while the big guys get to deny any involvement.

What a system!

(Anyone remember someone named John D. Lee?)

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:33AM

Quelle surprise.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 12:00PM

Another example of George Orwell having better propheting skills than LDS senior management.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.