Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rocketscientist ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:47AM

One of my all time favs. The Rockford Files still holds up after all these years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:01AM

Aw that makes me sad.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:10AM

We went to girls camp one year at some camp in the Los Angeles mountains. This was probably summer of 70 or 71. Back when girls camp was fun and no one took their scriptures.

We went on a "hike" on a well-maintained dirt road but had only had to move for a couple of cars. Then this limo--yes, limo, is coming down the road. Course it was going slow, but a couple of idiots stand in the middle of the road to make it stop. They were saying "maybe it's somebody famous." I thought, "yeah, somebody with a bodyguard who will shoot you dead."

So it stops and a guy got out and it was James Garner. They were shooting a movie up there. He talked to us for about 5 minutes. Told us to stay on the road and stay together and watch for bears (who had already visited our camp). We thought we had died and gone to heaven. He was so nice and SO handsome.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:41AM

Nice that he had time for you and your friends.

Don't know if Rae is actually your middle name but it if so, we have that in common.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:36AM

He was one of my favs

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:20AM

Noooooooooooooo! I love him! Rockford Files was one of my favorite shows.

RIP James Garner.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 01:22PM

topper

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 01:30PM

Cool dude....great and versatile actor...good race car driver and he stood up for his rights & won when the studios tried to screw him out of his earnings. RIP Jim.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 01:31PM

He had been married since 1957, that does not happen often in hollywood.

Loved the Rockford files as a kid.

Posted by: Ramon Glyde ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 02:18PM

I just started re-watching the Rockford files on Netflix last week. It brings back so many memories of staying up late and covering the TV so my parents wouldn't know I wasn't in bed.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 03:27PM

Loved James Garner. Met him a few times at The Long Beach Grand Prix & Willow Springs raceway. Next trip to So. Cal. I'll have to stop by The Sandcastle in Malibu & have a cold one for him. Neat little restaurant that was next to Rockford's trailer.
RIP Jim.

http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 03:33PM

I didn't know he had still been alive.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:31PM

I was sad when I heard of his passing today. Have always liked him. One of my favourite films is 'Support Your Local Sheriff'; must watch it again one of these days.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:23PM

The Rockford Files was tongue-in-cheek James Garner at his best. He will be missed.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:33AM

I think tongue-in-cheek humor was one of Jim's trademarks. I can remember watching "Maverick" with my Dad (who died over 50 years ago) and we both laughed like loons at some of the situations and lines.

RIP, Jim.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:47PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:50PM

I had a crush on him when I was a kid.I have a BIL who resembles him a lot although his face is a little thinner. RIP

Posted by: scorpionking55 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:18PM

Giving away my age here but I used to watch maverick on tv as a boy, one year for christmas my parents took us on a trip to lake cachuma. on christmas eve we went into town and bought my brothers and I a pair of cowboy boots at a shop. With them We each recieve a photo of james garner as james maverick. I also remember him from rockford files as well as the great escape. Rest in peace james you will be missed

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:29PM

A man's man. A standup guy for sure.

Rather the dashing daredevil as well, recalling his role in John Frankenheimer's 'Grand Prix' wherein Jim did his own driving for the racing footage. The real F1 racers were impressed with his ballsy driving skills, as I recall.

Jimbo certainly shone at playing up the anti-hero schitck, long before Eastwood or Gibson ever thought of it.

RIP Rockfish.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:12AM

One of my favorite all-time actors. Sad to hear of his passing.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:58AM

Loved him in the Rockford Files. And one of my all time favorite movies is Murphy's Romance, with Sally Field. If you haven't seen it, he was awesome as the crusty older pharmacy owner who fell in love with Field's horse-trainer character.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.