Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 05:53PM

Have to pay tithing?? Or if your unemployment has run out? You're jobless??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:02PM

Always

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:04PM

You never "have" to pay tithing.
Especially if you don't give church leaders power over your life.

Of course, the church tells you that you DO "have" to pay tithing on ALL income, even if that you have is SSI. You can, of course, ignore that. And you should.

Date: November 16, 2014 06:09PM

Since I've got my Social Security/Disabilty back I've paid them $0 in tithing, fast offering etc...

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:14PM

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 06:55AM

Actually, because his father has guardianship, it is his father's money in the eyes of the law.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:19PM

Not sure how things work in Idaho but there are different types of guardianship. Does the father have financial or medical or custodial or power of attorney or something else? We were my mother in law's payee for social security, and we paid her bills with it and paid the rest monthly out of our own pocket (she was our dependent for a time).

But we only had rights for that one purpose and we were not her financial or medical guardian, as we did not have power of attorney over her affairs.

We could not tell her not to spend her money on things we disagreed with, nor could we stop her if she did do that; and we could not take her money and use it for things she did not agree with and did not want us to. Our sole job was to pay rent with the money she was given to do that with, and he her banker for the money and that was that. Anything over the rent amount was hers to do as she wished and if any interference with that process occurred, that interference violated the law.

You have to jump through a great many hoops and it takes quite some time and legitimated proof that it is absolutely necessary, for someone to become the full guardian of another adult. My MIL had schizophrenia and was completely unable to do anything much for herself but it took 8 years, several doctors and lawyers, a social worker, tens of thousands of dollars and several incidents where she harmed or harmed others, to get full and complete legal guardianship over her.

As it should. It should never be simple for one person to gain or take complete control over someone else's life, in that way.

There are different forms of guardianship/the guardian relationship.

I hope anyone in SII's shoes has some measure of control over their own life and has the ability/is permitted to choose things like whether or not they tithe, for themselves. The posts made here proves SII deserves that.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:16PM

In general, when you are payee for somebody on Social Security or SSI disability, you are responsible for seeing to it that their expenses for food, clothing, shelter and medical care are paid.

If there is money left over, it can be used for the repair or improvement of things the family uses in common (house, car, etc.) that will, of course, benefit the recipient too.

I always insisted that payees for clients in "my" caseload keep receipts for everything they used the client's money for. I would tell them, "It doesn't have to be fancy - just toss them into a shoe box or something - but be sure to circle which things are for Johnny's use and which things are for the family's use, so it's easy for me to understand when I have to turn the report in, OK?"

There often wasn't much of a "report" to turn in, but I wanted to keep the family as accountable as I could for the proper use of the client's money. (Blatant misuse, from which the client did not benefit at all, was all too frequent, so I tried to keep as firm a rein on my cases as I could.)

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:10PM

My grandmother not only paid tithing on her SS income, which was her only income, but she paid a month ahead.

That way when she died, she would be good with the Lord.

It made me so sad that she was so poor that she couldn't afford to buy a coke at the nursing home that I'd bring her 20-packs every time I visited.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:15PM

Did she always give 2 to the church?

My MIL was the same way. She wasn't LDS, but she would always send money to some TV evangelist out of here small SS check.

How sad.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:25PM

She was a BIC TBM and a very sweet lady to boot.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:29PM

It is essential for your salvation that you not tithe. Your financial salvation.

Date: November 16, 2014 06:34PM

Just like my 401k and my stocks right!??

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:39PM

Back in the day when I was active, it was generally considered that you should pay tithing on earned income, not on disability payments or retirement income.

But it's most important to remember that any donations you make to the church are entirely voluntary and should not be coerced from you. If you don't feel like buying your way to a fake heaven, don't.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 06:40PM

If you desire to pay tithing, a simple rule is if it is taxable pay on it.

But if you have no faith in the church then don't pay anything.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:08AM

At that time, I worked in the SSI program, which is a welfare-like, subsistence-level program. Even then, I couldn't understand how people could survive on so little money.

I was shocked when I learned at church that even people who lived on SSI were supposed to tithe. I was told that it was an issue of faith, and that if it left people without enough money for food or utilities, the church would help them out.

This struck me as remarkably cruel. People who have barely enough to live on should NOT be expected to pay tithing. I should have gotten a clue then, but it took a while longer.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:32AM

I also think it's extremely cruel that TSCC does this to people with disabilities. My ex-husband's former roommate was a HT for someone who was legally blind, yet he paid tithing on his SSI from what I've heard, and this person lived in a crappy apartment in one of the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods in the city.

Let's just say that this cruelty towards people with disabilities and others is one of the many things that led me out of the Morg.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:19AM

You have no idea how angry it makes me feel and how much pain this question brings back to me SII.

The mormon goons will take the shirt off your back and leave you to freeze to death whilst reminding you that you're okay with your fees to mormon heaven so no worries.

Keep your money - you need it to survive my friend. Please, please don't pay them anything - it is NOT theirs and they don't need to know your financial details - none of their business.

Hugs

Briggy

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:37AM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have no idea how angry it makes me feel and
> how much pain this question brings back to me
> SII.
>
> The mormon goons will take the shirt off your back
> and leave you to freeze to death whilst reminding
> you that you're okay with your fees to mormon
> heaven so no worries.
>
> Keep your money - you need it to survive my
> friend. Please, please don't pay them anything -
> it is NOT theirs and they don't need to know your
> financial details - none of their business.
>
> Hugs
>
> Briggy
===============================================
Me, too, Briggy.
And I know since our only income is dad's SS and mom's minimum wage.
But they always makes sure me and Silly Sophie are fed well!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:50PM

The StalkerDog™ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> brigantia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You have no idea how angry it makes me feel and
> > how much pain this question brings back to me
> > SII.
> >
> > The mormon goons will take the shirt off your
> back
> > and leave you to freeze to death whilst
> reminding
> > you that you're okay with your fees to mormon
> > heaven so no worries.
> >
> > Keep your money - you need it to survive my
> > friend. Please, please don't pay them anything
> -
> > it is NOT theirs and they don't need to know
> your
> > financial details - none of their business.
> >
> > Hugs
> >
> > Briggy
> ===============================================
> Me, too, Briggy.
> And I know since our only income is dad's SS and
> mom's minimum wage.
> But they always makes sure me and Silly Sophie are
> fed well!

Briggy is right... you do not have to give them your money. Its yours and what you do with it is your business, not anyone elses.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 05:28AM

Keep your money, SII. You need it, the Morg does not. Any church that spends millions or even billions of dollars in real estate investment properties does not need your money.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:12AM

You should be declared exempt if you rely on gov't income.
Most bishops know this.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:22AM

Let's see, take money from an SSI recipient by heaping on guilt, use it toward buying cattle ranches, real estate in Florida, malls, University salaries, church buildings, etc.

That sounds like the reverse of what a charitable organization/religion should be doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 07:24AM by heberjgrunt.

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:57AM

No member of any Christian organization pays tithing! Conversely, any organisation that says you must pay tithing isn’t Christian.

Tithing was an Old Testament law applicable only to Jews and they haven’t tithed since the temple records were destroyed in AD70.

It’s amazing how the cult is able to justify a ‘greatly modified’ Old Testament law that brings in enormous amounts of money (which by the way was never a tithable commodity) yet never explains why it’s ok to ignore all the other equally important laws such as sacrificing animals or stoning people to death for adultery.

Posted by: jellobeltnevermo ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 01:27PM

A family friend was baptized by the church and because of his diabetes was told by his doctor not to get into the baptismal bath (?) due to his feet. Got baptized anyway due to pressure and had to have his toe amputated due to infection. Church helped him get disability and now gets 10% of his income. True story.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:02PM

Morg: Yes you must pay. If you don't, you'll be burned during the second coming.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:06PM

If you're a tithe paying mormon, you don't have to wait for the second coming to get burnt. Mormons will be happy to burn you in this life.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:04PM

I don't HAVE TO do anything along those lines

The buzz words are "HAVE TO"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.