Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 09:56PM

I remember years ago that when men were tying their "baker's hats" to the shoulder loops on their robes, it was imperative that the string be tied to the second loop. Not sure where that requirement went.

I also can't remember where the "rule" came from, but I remember being instructed that when putting on garments, it was important that the right leg go in first (!!).

I also remember that sacrament was to be taken with the right hand.

Anyone else remember silly rules? (And yes, the whole thing was silly rules, but you know what I mean...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 11:31PM

If garments can never touch the floor, how are people supposed to kneel down by their beds and pray before going to sleep at night? Wouldn't the garments covering their knees touch the floor?

(But yes, I did hear rules about not piling garments on the floor when sorting loads of laundry, and I did hear the rule about taking the sacrament with your right hand.)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 06:34AM

I not only heard the rule but read it in the Ensign along with the reason: the left hand was sinister. It used the argument of Islam and used the word from Latin. "a sinistra" was lefthandedness. Even Cicero described the Catilinian conspirators in such terms. I, being left-handed, take offense. I have noticed that many high-ranking persons in politics are also left-handed. At MIT I noted that most of us studying political science were left-handed while in a mechanical engineering class of 60 students I was the only person lefthanded and I was not majoring in the field. But sinister? A slur which Moism agreed with.

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 09:47AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:19PM

I had a mission companion who threw her garments on the bed and they slipped off onto the floor. She got hysterical and wanted to call the MP in the middle of the night to repent. We didn't have a phone in our apartment and would have had to leave to call from the pay phone on the corner. So I convinced her that being out after curfew was breaking the rules too and she needed to wait til morning to call the mission president so she didn't make a bad situation worse. I didn't really believe that - I was just desperate to keep her from running around the neighborhood in the middle of the night. She conceded I was right and called the MP to repent in the morning. I'm sure he just sighed because he'd had to deal with her high-strung, emotional meltdowns fairly regularly throughout her mission. She definitely should have not gone on a mission - her sense of self was way too shaky and being on a mission must have been a real trauma for her. I hope she got herself out of the church eventually - despite stuff like the above incident, she was a nice girl and deserved better than she got in Mormonism.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:56PM

"I had a mission companion who threw her garments on the bed and they slipped off onto the floor. She got hysterical and wanted to call the MP in the middle of the night to repent."

If you had been a quick thinker, you could have suggested that she baptize the garments in the sink the next morning to rid them of the evils of this world.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 05, 2015 11:51PM

Boys should always be given a middle name because they will need an initial if they are called as a GA. Middle names are optional for girls.

Deacons should place their left hand in the small of their back when passing the sacrament.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 12:22AM

Girls don't get middle names because when they get married, they should adopt their maiden name in place of a middle name.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 06:37AM

We gave all daughters middle names. I guess that's just another proof I am an apostate.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 11:04AM

On my mom's side of the family middle names were reserved for the mother's maiden name.

My mom's middle name was "Bleak". Gottalovit!

Posted by: Aussieblokesarebest ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 07:56AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Deacons should place their left hand in the small
> of their back when passing the sacrament.

.....so they don't rub they groin when they look down the cleavage of the MILF's

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 04:44AM

catholics dress left foot first, protestants right foot first. Ask anyone from northern ireland and they will agree. that's where that silly rule came from originally.

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 02:38PM

I always enjoyed the myth that a member of the priesthood has more power in his pinky than the Catholic Pope.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 05:53PM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 06:09PM

The whole CULT is a silly rule.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:57PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 10:58PM

I think that originally was a safety issue rule, but then turned into a "masks are evil" rule.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 12:24AM

I was told that members wearing masks was blasphemy against Joseph Smith, who had some notable run-ins with masked men.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 04:01AM

Rusty Shackleford Wrote:
> I was told that members wearing masks was
> blasphemy against Joseph Smith, who had some
> notable run-ins with masked men.

I was told the same. In fact, is was to not "Honor" those who killed JS.

I have made it a point to honor them every Halloween since leaving TSCC.

Date: June 07, 2015 04:20AM

I once offended the spirit by bringing the wrong brand of potato chips to a ward picnic at the park.

I had to meet with my ym prez for an emergency ppi for setting a poor example as a priest for having the gall to pervert the saints with Eagle potato chips. It was a violation of the word of wisdom to bring any Budweiser product to a church function. I was told to repent right away.

This was around 1990-91.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 11:23AM

Holy smokes, I thought I had heard every silly rule. That's a new one for me.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 11:12PM

Our stake had a rule that girls had to wear shorts and a t-shirt over their modest, one-piece swimsuit at girls' camp.

Then there's the no face card rule at church camps and other church activities.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: June 06, 2015 11:16PM

Babies must be held up in the air like in the movie Lion King after being blessed in front of the congregation.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 06:54AM

not only is it supposed to be a double bow, but it is a race to see who gets their attire on and properly arranged / situated the fastest.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 10:43AM

Playing cards are evil-- especially the king, queen, and jack.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 11:18AM

Satan rules the waters.

No working or causing anyone to work on Sunday (I always wondered why they used electricity of the A/C full blast on Sunday- that was causing someone, somewhere to work).

Everything good is a blessing, everything bad is a test.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 02:45PM

"You will never be tested beyond your capacity to overcome..."

"ghawd never closes a door, but that he opens a window..."

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 07, 2015 09:59PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> "You will never be tested beyond your capacity to
> overcome..."
> =============================================
> ghawd must think I'm a real badass broad!

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 09:02AM

Someone posted this on another site. I never heard it, but it sure seems like the normal BS myths that people would be asked to believe:

...and as you are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and ask, "Which prophet time did you live in?" And when you say "Gordon B. Hinckley," a hush will fall over every hall, every corridor in heaven and all in attendance will bow at your presence. You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented most obedient, most courageous, and most righteous. Are you still? Remember who you are!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 09:22AM

I'm not even that special anymore. Apparently I have to bow to my kids now as they were in the TSM time.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 09:10AM

The big myth of my era was that the Saints would gather in all corners of the world and begin a trek back to Missouri. There were different takes on this, like that cars would not operate and we would have to walk and ride horses and mules and drive wagons, just as the pioneers did. Another take was that we'd just drive back there in our cars after abandoning our houses, our farms, our livestock, and our pets. Many taught in our classes that this was why we had to have a year's supply of food. We had to be good, or God would not spare our lives to make the journey. Many members spun real romantic stories of what it would be like. It was so bad that in the 1970's when "granny dresses" were popular (particularly among Mormon women), some members were insisting that it was a sign that the day was almost upon us.

One of the things we would do, of course, is return to Adam-Ondi-Ahman to see "Father Adam" when he returned to meet his children. I think that this was an original Joseph Smith prophesy.

I think that this belief is no longer championed by the church or by the membership, although there has to be a certain number of members out there who still swallow the idea.

Date: June 08, 2015 09:45AM

+1

And then Little House on the Prairie got cancelled...lol

In Calif members were encouraged to be extra righteous or Zion would would take off without them.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 10:04AM

The only reason Las Vegas hasn't been destroyed is because of the righteousness of the saints who live there.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 12:13PM

My SIL would whisper Mormon rumors to my mother in worried tones... For a while, she insisted that the Proctor and Gamble symbol on Tide and other products was a symbol of the devil.

I wanted to whisper, "Saying that symbol is a sign of the devil symbolizes that you are a nit wit." =[

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 08, 2015 12:17PM

Never made it to the temple, but if you've read any of my posts you know I have a serious problem with stupid rules...can't believe my parents went to numerous temples around the world and took part in that bizarre, insane shit.

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.