Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frizzy18 ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 06:50PM

From everything i have experienced from Mormons is that they can be pretty judgemental. my ex boyfriends family literally gave the dirtiest looks. mormons arent allowed to haave any touching and intimate relation with thier bf/gf and mine did (not sex).

so basically he just did whatever because hes a teenager and its human nature and i get that but what happened to being mormon? the moment they get closer to going on missions they leave thier gfs because NOW they want to clean up themselves and get all spiritual when before they did what ever? i thought that was messed up.

you just do whatever you want commit all the sins and then just ask for forgivness and leave you sig other like trash

Messed up. (sorry if i sound confusing i just dont know how to describe this)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 06:59PM

LDS, Inc. is designed to take money from members in exchange for empty promises. They keep those members busy with frivolous, nonsensical tasks and ridiculous life restrictions. They then invest that money into land and holding companies, while pretending that the money goes to charitable causes.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:42PM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 07:25PM

that fairly well says it

Working for a living in frontier America was hard, scamming people by pretending to be a modern prophet was much easier, well except for the times when pervert Joe had to run for lying life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm0Fsi2H3Fo

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 07:13PM

Obedience, guilt and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s.

Ron Burr

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 07:48PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 07:42PM

CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL!!!

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 07:46PM

Jesus went to South America and showed himself to Native Americans, who were Jews, after he died. The end.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 07:55PM

Conformity.
Plus, I suppose the leaders, even if they know it's bunk, believe they're saving the world by preserving their form of morality.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 07:58PM

It's about bunk. And more importantly, bank.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 08:01PM

Your boyfriend sounds like he's messed up. He's right in step with at least half of the rest of the population.

Not sure it's really the religion to blame. It could just be him.

There's lots of guys like that inside religions and out.

Guard your heart! I know it's easier said than done, but that's still good advice.

Mostly be patient and forgiving with yourself for having trusted him in the first place. It was misplaced trust. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.

You deserve so much better.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 08:02PM

Very good question

What the hell is Mormonism even about.

Very very good question.

It's not Christian

It promotes a Scribe and Pharisee culture.

It harms the self esteem of its members. It takes time and money. It causes members to have conditional love and acceptance. It causes so many youth to marry someone they shouldn't have.

I think it's about 15 old white men being conning and brainwashing, which is evil.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 10:32PM

It is about always trying to make everyone feel like they are not good enough and need to do better.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 10:49PM

The latter-day prophets do the hokey pokey and they turn themselves around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 10:50PM by cupcakelicker.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:01PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

Oh wait, it IS about the money. DOH!

Date: June 22, 2015 11:11PM

I had to look it up.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/jessie-j/highest-paid.html

"Jessie J tops annual list of highest-paid singers

In 2012 it looked like the singer’s spectacular career was winding down. Suddenly, she was back on top. People With Money reports on Monday (June 22) that Jessie J is the highest-paid singer in the world, pulling in an astonishing $46 million between May 2014 and May 2015, a nearly $20 million lead over her closest competition."

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 01:25AM

I recall after that song came out, seeing her on a show dressed up fairly sexualized and pouring on the kitten act and thinking; so much for the message in your song, hey?

But, realize she didn't write the song (Claude Kelly and Lukasz Gottwald, two much less famous songwriters did), and she was just the person who her producers got to sing it. Not much is straight up in our world these days, it all comes along with a fair share of hypocrisy and hype.

Still, I dig reggae grooves, and I did like the message in the lyric, even if it was all a little, well, disingenuous. I even figured out the chords and used to play it on the piano sometimes and sing it with my daughter when it was first out. It's catchy.

By time your on the radio with a hit song and doing the circuit like she is, you aren't just a bunch of buds jammin' tunes around the campfire anymore, that's for sure. That thought even ran through my mind as I was first hearing it on the radio too, and I kind of rolled my eyes a bit at it. But still, the dudes who did write the song had the right idea somewhere in there.

My fav lines are:

Seems like everybody's got a price,
I wonder how they sleep at night
When the sale comes first
And the truth comes second.
Just stop for a minute and smile

and also:

Why is everybody so obsessed?
Money can't buy us happiness
Can we all slow down and enjoy right now?
Guarantee we'll be feeling alright

So, I can't help but like the song, and I'm a sucker for a reggae diddy (I used to drum for a bob marley cover band.) So, even if Jessie J is a bit of a video ho herself, they all did still do a good job on it (and so did the studio guys and producers who are really the ones who make that all come together like that in the studio.) And like I say, the boys who wrote it had their hearts in the right place with the initial message.

Oops. That really was off topic as hell. Sorry everyone. :(

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:21PM

Crazy stuff!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:27PM

Robbing the poor to feed the rich

Posted by: Anonagain ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:37PM

Mormonism is all about appearances, not about actually being decent human beings.

You were left by your boyfriend for not being a perfectly appearing Mormon girl.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 01:13AM

That's kind of what I was thinking.

It's about BRANDING to bring in new customers. What image does the corporation project to potential customers, I mean tithe-paying members (TPMs). Everyone needs to look UNIFORM. Clean cut, wholesome. Cause we're a wholesome business!

It's about getting committed customers/ TPMs. Get them to JOIN and be MEMBERS. Tie them down with responsibilities so that it's harder to get away. Make it shameful to leave. Make it shameful to even THINK about leaving.

It's about getting these customers to get more customers FOR you. Via as many births as they can crank out, via missionary work and via non-stop propaganda within.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 22, 2015 11:41PM

As a member, what it was all about for me:

This life is a test.

If you pass the test by being obedient and faithful enough, you'll be rewarded in the next life by being allowed to be with God and the people you love for all eternity. And if you are super duper righteous, you'll eventually become a god (even though they don't teach it much anymore).

But the sad thing is that most Mormons are afraid that they aren't good enough, because, as humans we aren't perfect. So there is a lot of fear of not measuring up.

So Mormonism also about guilt and fear.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 12:03AM

Money and sex. Same thing as always in the history of civilization.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 12:11AM

frizzy - you described it well. You haven't been around it long enough to see that you have only scraped the surface. The cult is pure evil. stay away from it.

Posted by: frizzy18 ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 12:48AM

Its super hard to get over anyone. plus im not mormon and that was such a hard time to go through because his family literaly hated me. and its sad because he defended me and didnt leave me for a year and then suddenly when the guild of doing things hit he just left like i was nothing

being with him and around his family had left a bad impression on me more than ever tbh. I dont respect them because they are perfectionist, they literally didnt even like the way i looked not that they were models themselves.

It just left a bad impression and tbh for me, if i were to leave someone i wouldnt want them to think my religion was bad or that im a judgemental person. just a really bad impression of mormons now and thats sad.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:18PM

frizzy18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its super hard to get over anyone. plus im not
> mormon and that was such a hard time to go through
> because his family literaly hated me.

frizzy, they didn't hate "you," they shun all non-Mormons, and you happen to be in that group.

and its sad
> because he defended me and didnt leave me for a
> year and then suddenly when the guild of doing
> things hit he just left like i was nothing

He had to choose between his family, friends and faith he's had for his entire life, or a girl he's only known for a year. You were not "nothing." He was not strong or brave or smart enough to see how he might be okay, knowing that he, too, would be shunned, or "hated" as you call it. He KNEW that, because they have made him shun people.

>
> being with him and around his family had left a
> bad impression on me more than ever tbh. I dont
> respect them because they are perfectionist, they
> literally didnt even like the way i looked not
> that they were models themselves.
>
> It just left a bad impression and tbh for me, if i
> were to leave someone i wouldnt want them to think
> my religion was bad or that im a judgemental
> person. just a really bad impression of mormons
> now and thats sad.

They don't care how you feel. They didn't care how he felt, their own blood, so long as he was a "good" little cult member. It's sort of like the "family honor" thing. His choices reflect on them.

When you were seeing him, was your family okay with you maybe wanting to be a Mormon? Did they know? You haven't written anything about what your family expected from either of you. That's okay, but I'm wondering how welcome he felt by your family?

BTW, you got the "shortcut" lesson on how bad the Mormon religion is. It cheated you out of one year of your life. Your impession of the cult is very accurate, and THEY DON'T CARE because you're not Mormon.

The only thing they "cared" about was the "family honor." "Feelings" about you didn't come into it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 06:11PM

Many grow up in it and are doing the best they can.

Mormons just want to have fun (just like everyone else) and some entertain that interest, at nearly all cost.

The "religion" is the doldrums and these youth are doing what they can to make sense of it - and themselves - after all the screw ups the church does, the individual thinks its his-her own self-fault.

It's the only way some lds youth can handle life. The church screws with them and they screw with others (life).

Posted by: disgusted ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 06:17PM

Brilliant! That is the best one sentence description of the essence of Mormonism I have every seen.

Another observation: Smoking and drinking are very visible activities but carry no moral turpitude. Lying, on the other hand, especially in the name of God, is not so visible but is fraught with moral turpitude.

Posted by: disgusted ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 06:21PM

LDS, Inc. is designed to take money from members in exchange for empty promises. They keep those members busy with frivolous, nonsensical tasks and ridiculous life restrictions. They then invest that money into land and holding companies, while pretending that the money goes to charitable causes.

This is the best one sentence description I was referring to, posted above by Axeldc--disgusted

Date: June 24, 2015 01:41AM

disgusted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the best one sentence description I was
> referring to, posted above by Axeldc--disgusted

LDS, Inc. is designed to take money from members in exchange for empty promises, keep those members busy with frivolous, nonsensical tasks and ridiculous life restrictions, and invest that money into land and holding companies, while pretending that the money goes to charitable causes.

Now it's one sentence.

Conjunction junction, what's your function?

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 07:28PM

Mormonism is all about obeying and paying the brethren and feeling blessed that you have the privilege of cleaning the toilets.

Posted by: Armand Tamzarian ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 07:57PM

It's a religion about nothing. The few moving parts were all stripped off of other working religions.

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 11:13PM

Probably already said, but the adoration and obedience to 15 old men who pretend to be apostles that really don't do anything apostolic. If you give them enormous amounts of money and time they will teach you that 1950s familial bliss is the height of happiness.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 01:19AM

Money.

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 01:52AM

A crazy but determined con man that spend a lot of time hiding out in the woods ate some hallucinogenic shrubs and mushrooms while pondering about his guilt. He imagined a bunch of twisted religious stuff while stoned and decided that the best way to get people to do what he wanted was to start his own religion and tell himself and others the hallucinations he saw were signs from god. He was able to get a following going. Religion can be like fire; if you can get one started, it can be hard to extinguish. Mormonism has many of the hooks that hold an organized religion together such as goodwill, family and promises of life after death. Mormonism also promises things other religions don't and can't promise like "hope" for the people already dead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.