Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:46PM

Hey everyone, just a little update on what's been going on with my family situation. So, last Sunday I was at home to get some help from a friend on homework for a big test I have this week, which meant I had to go home for a few hours, which meant I ended up talking to my TBM mom. Things became a little sour last time I was over at my house, resulting in me basically getting verbally abused by my mom because of my disbelief. Well, this time, we talked and things were a lot more calm and she just wanted to know where I "stand spiritually". I told her that I have no interest in going back to church, living what the church teaches, or ever having it be a part of my life. I told her that I need to focus strictly on school, getting a job, and supporting myself through the college years. I also told her that it would be useless to every try and gain a testimony again, because all of my doubts and concerns and questions have been answered from a different source: science and reason. She still believes that I didn't put forth the effort to ever get a testimony (which is partly true) but, there is no need now that I have found my answers and the church has been disproved in so many ways. It would be hard for me to ever accept the church as something I want in my life because it didn't really help me anyway. Life is looking up, I am doing well now, I am starting to figure out what I want to do with my life, and most importantly, I am happy. All without TSCC. I just had to share with you all that I am doing a lot better and I don't know what I would've done without all the amazing support and advice from you guys. Thanks.

rally

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:05PM

Typically, a TBM mom will have smooth easy going spans of time interruote by unsettling occasional flareups

Try to remember that if she panics and becomes confrontational that she's reacting to her mormon programming. You're not to blame. It's the fault of the mormon church.

As calmly as possible repeat what you just told her and move on to other topics or excuse yourself and leave the room or hang up the phone. Then wait to enjoy her company when she's more reasonable and stable.

There are usually ups and downs in families whevever anyone leaves. You're not alone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:16PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:24PM

I'm sure there will be more ups and downs with your Mom but she's started down the road of acceptance and that's pretty hopeful.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:37PM

Posted by: Jessica ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:41PM

That's awesome! I can tell you have a lot of integrity to say what you really think and not care much about the consequences. Way to be straightforward with her. It's better than pretending, right?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:10PM

It would be extremely hard to get a testimony of a fake book and an equally fake church.

You might want to stop telling her you have doubts, since that means you may still be persuaded to return if she only bugs you hard enough, LOL.

But you are doing great. College is so much fun without Mormonism.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:17PM

I left LDS, Inc. my first year of college as well. There was some wavering and some doubting of my doubt, but when I attempted to reactivate myself, I discovered I had no patience for mormonism.

There are so many other great ways to use your time and money than enslaving yourself to a busy-work institution like the LDS church.

Enjoy your college years and best of luck to you.

Enjoy the ride!

Erin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 07:17PM by elee.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 07:20PM

Do's: be Polite & Kind & Sober. 1 bf at a time.
THOSE will drive them NUTS!

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 01:38AM

Bah.
What would college be without some all-night keggers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.