Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 06:50PM

What do you think?

It makes Catholics worshipping the Virgin Mary way ahead of their time.

Also makes the literal "begotten" experience between Heavenly Father and the Virgin Mary quite natural.

My only question is about Joseph. Poor Joseph had to live his entire life without intimacy. Why? Because there is no way he was allowed to sleep with a goddess.

Feedback welcome people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 06:57PM

Well, what I heard in my BYU religion courses c.1970s was that Heavenly Father didn't want to reveal her or her name as to protect the sacredness of their relationship. He didn't want her name being used as a curse word.

No, DT, I actually heard that, Even I couldn't make that one up! The Boner.

Date: October 26, 2015 07:06PM

Of course I heard that too on the rare occasion the topic was discussed. I also found it to be a doctrinal point that was not treated equally by members. Some would say it was true. Some would say it was false. Some would say "we just don't know about these things."

I like praying to the Virgin Mary. I dig strong female authority figures.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 07:56AM

Except for the curse word part, that is also what I was told. That reply didn't resonate with me, but I was TBM at the time so just moved on.

It really is lame, though!

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 06:59PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 07:38PM

Lupe, Lamanite former virgin.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 07:47PM

Her close friends called her Lupita.

Date: October 26, 2015 07:58PM

I LOVE the name Lupita!

Date: October 26, 2015 08:04PM

..."Hang on (S)Lupe, (S)Lupe hang on!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydj4o2F1c_4

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 07:26PM

"hail mary, mother of god
send me down a couple o bob"

Irish (protestant) gambler's prayer

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 07:29PM

That could fit Mormon theology.
It doesn't fit Catholic theology since the idea of preexistence doesn't exist in it's theology

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 07:30PM

This may be of interest to ya...flds believes indeed mary was gods wife sent down to mother christ...so ya see really he wasnt doing a daughter...he was doing his wife...sorta like joe..plygs got this from one of the first three leaders...as they perty much wrote off every one after the manifesto...you cant make this shit up...sorry i was wrong...you can

Date: October 26, 2015 07:37PM

So who taught this? Smith, Young or Taylor?

Date: October 26, 2015 07:50PM

Date: October 26, 2015 07:41PM

Im gonna say it was from a book by john taylor...mediation and atonement i believe...plygs love it...church not so much...john taylor was the grand poohbah for plygs...lead the charge by setting some extra apostles apart to do marriages till christ returned...if im forgetting anything i dont care...i used to think taylor was something...now ive had to rethink the whole dam issue...shit up stream is shit downstream...cant be helped

Date: October 26, 2015 07:50PM

Could also be some of that super special stuff only shared in yjose special meetings going back to smith himself...plygs had that too...junior school of the prophets...prayer circles...arms to the square...absolute secrecy and no sex the week before...yup i was there...still swore vengence on the killers of the prophet...prayed for downfall of the govt...one mighty and strong hurry the hell up...we are dying here haha...oh boy...heady stuff...you were extra special to get invited to that...guess not...cuz im here and they arent

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 08:05PM

--and so is Isis, Astarte, Artemis/Diana, Ishtar and so and so on and so on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 08:05PM by anybody.

Date: October 27, 2015 04:38AM

all of them 'queens of heaven' in their respective countries - the very female jesus warned about worshiping.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: October 26, 2015 08:06PM

On my mission about 100 years ago an old guy got up in testimony meeting and said the same thing. He got the hook by the local bishop.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 07:25AM

In the Branch i was in one of the members who was previously a spiritualist used to start his prayers, Father, Mother God,

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 08:12AM

Except the bible mentions that Christ had siblings...

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 11:16AM

Catholics don't worship the Virgin Mary.

Date: October 27, 2015 11:20AM

They pray to her...

Date: October 27, 2015 12:00PM

catholics think she can intervene on their behalf with Jesus come judgement day because all good catholics do what their mammy tells them. Hence, jesus is not perfect because she can make him change his mind.

Any catholic will tell you how important mary the mother of god is to them. More important than christ because she as his mammy can over-rule his decisions.

The apparition at fatima in portugal introduced the rosary and the 'hail mary' penance poem and effectively introduced mary-worship.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 07:30PM

anonuk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> catholics think she can intervene on their behalf
> with Jesus come judgement day because all good
> catholics do what their mammy tells them. Hence,
> jesus is not perfect because she can make him
> change his mind.
>
> Any catholic will tell you how important mary the
> mother of god is to them. More important than
> christ because she as his mammy can over-rule his
> decisions.
>
> The apparition at fatima in portugal introduced
> the rosary and the 'hail mary' penance poem and
> effectively introduced mary-worship.

You need to do a lot more research. Everything you wrote is incorrect. The Hail Mary goes back to the middle ages at least. Mary can only reflect the will of God -- she does not overrule God.

Date: October 28, 2015 04:45AM

then why do they pray for her to intercede on their behalf?

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 09:39AM

Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you?

Date: October 28, 2015 09:51AM

nope - I am responsible for myself, if someone WANTS to pray for me then that is up to them but I would never ask someone else to - neither real person, nor historical/mythical person.

Neither would I pray to saints and ask them to intercede on my behalf, or to 'watch out for me', the way catholics, especially roman catholics, do.

Date: October 28, 2015 12:28PM

All Catholics are Roman Catholics because they are in communion with Rome. You don't have even a basic understanding of Catholicism. Did you pick it up from Chick Publications?

Date: October 28, 2015 02:04PM

sorry, but no, for example presbytarians are catholic but in no way are they in communion with rome. Do you think the northern irish protestants are in any way aligned with the papacy? catholic merely means universal. Roman catholics are led by Rome, most protestants deny the rights the papacy has awarded itself, although many denominations are re-joining of late.

It seems you are slightly misguided or perhaps biased, which is nothing to be ashamed of, most people are in one way or another. I may have been mistaken about the hail mary (which my irish college room mate told me began with fatima) but not about anything else.

Do you ask other people to pray for you? do you believe that if mary thinks you've done enough she could have a word with christ about your judgement and entry into heaven?

I like the celtic christian view that no-one comes between me and my god. No religious person, dead or alive, nor any religious organisation has any right to insert themselves between me and my god.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 07:37PM

You're all cracked...c'mon your missing the obvious!

There can't be just ONE (1) "Heavenly Mother" since Elohim is a known polygamist!!!

Or did you just forget that itty-bitty detail???

Or so it seems to me...

Date: October 28, 2015 12:13PM

DING DING DING - BEST ANSWER.

Look, the recently published essay talks about A Heavenly Mother. ONE. JUST ONE. This goes against everything we know about the principle of plural marriage.

THERE ARE MULTIPLE HEAVENLY MOTHERS but the essay fails to discuss that fact.

My guess is that the Virgin Mary is Heavenly Father's FIRST WIFE.

Date: October 28, 2015 12:34PM

Doubting Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you think?
>
> It makes Catholics worshipping the Virgin Mary way
> ahead of their time.
>
> Also makes the literal "begotten" experience
> between Heavenly Father and the Virgin Mary quite
> natural.
>
> My only question is about Joseph. Poor Joseph had
> to live his entire life without intimacy. Why?
> Because there is no way he was allowed to sleep
> with a goddess.
>
> Feedback welcome people.

I think if the Mormons would embrace this principle it would cause a revolution in their theology and would attract a lot of converts.

Date: October 28, 2015 02:50PM

The Salt Lake Based Mormon church has been running away from plural marriages for 100 years, and they are not going to embrace it now.

ALL of the essays are a response to declining membership numbers. Resignations, declining conversions and huge drops in attendance.

Leaders and members still don't want to talk about the essay topics. Prophets, seers and revelators continue to teach such important topics as girls wearing lipstick to be attractive to boys etc.

Without the shunning, the LDS house of cards would have already fallen.

Date: October 28, 2015 02:53PM

This has nothing to do with plural marriage. Mary would be revealed as God's only pre-existent wife. She existed as a spirit just as Jesus did. She came to earth for a body and mothered God's pre-existent Son.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:53PM

So our heavenly mother is tomato juice without vodka?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.