Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Douglas Cooper ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 05:40AM

Just wondering, because atheists are said to be more intelligent than religious folk.. and I think there's a good mix on here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:02AM

Dont know, dont care.

I have a three year honours degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering (B.Eng E&E (Hons)).
that took me approx three years longer to do, than an online test designed to make me pay, to join MENSA.

Posted by: quickman ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:20AM

Mensa Denmark has the best online test aviable.

https://mensa.dk/test-din-ik

Try it if you are intrested what your IQ is

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:32AM

I am certain we have genuine mensas contributing daily to this board.

There are those whose contributions simply scream mensa!

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:04AM

I know have Mensa envy now. I have a work associate that often reminds us of his Mensa membership, even displaying his Mensa card to us on occasion. It's very impressive - sort of credit card design, but it indeed says Mensa and is proof that he is smarter than all of us - so he says.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 12:02PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am certain we have genuine mensas contributing
> daily to this board.
>
> There are those whose contributions simply scream
> mensa!

Y menso's tambien. ;)

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 06:40AM

..... Im sure i'm a GENUS !!1!11!!

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 08:17AM

Genuine genius husband (full scholarship to Columbia U, one of the pioneers of computer graphics) thinks Mensa is a crock and would not join if they paid him.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 08:24AM

I've done several IQ tests. The best score I received was 140. I took a lot of time on that one.

One time I decided to do the test as quickly as possible, without really thinking about the answers and I didn't allow myself to go back to any that I'd missed. I received a score of 124 on that one.

But I've done three different tests where I got exactly 136, so I'd average it out to that and say 136.

However, because of my Asperger's, I haven't gone far in the world. I honestly believe that someone with a score of 100, but a higher EQ (emotional quotient) score could go farther.

It usually takes a level of confidence and a willingness to take risks to get somewhere in this world.

Date: January 10, 2016 08:56AM

I have heard that people with modest IQs, say around 100-115, tend to be the most "successful" in life, as in getting good jobs, lots of friends, promotions, etc.

It's probably because they are similar to most other people and can therefore get along easily with them.

People with high IQs can seem threatening to such folks.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:12AM

I was a TAG kid and my niece is one. One problem TAG kids have is that school comes easy. I challenged myself by taking AP courses. I took 6 AP exams in HS: English Comp, English Lit, French, US history, European History, Computer Science. It was a challenging course load, but the few regular classes I had bored me. I often thought how easy HS would have been if I didn't care about going to college.

TAG kids get bored in school and our minds wander. When we do run into problems that we can't solve in a split second, we tend to get frustrated. You have to learn to overcome problems like everyone else, because not everything in life comes easy. I've known lots of super bright people who struggle in life because they prefer to do the things that are easy and leave the problems that they don't get to fester.

My niece scored a 91 percentile on the SAT, but she is struggling in school. She just has no stamina and gets bored and frustrated in the classes she has to work in. She doesn't want to go to college because she hasn't learned study skills. I worry she will end up in retail.

TAG kids also struggle socially. The nerd stereotype is because we get bored talking about banal subjects. It's hard to relate to people who don't get our interests and who aren't interested in bigger picture things. I sometimes check out of conversations with people who don't get it. This comes across as arrogant or stand offish.

TAG kids are also not the best teachers. The best teachers are bright but not geniuses. A genius cannot teach people because he doesn't know how he does what he does. If it comes easy, it's hard to break down the steps for someone who needs the slower climb. I hated showing my work in math because I just got it. My teacher would say, "how did you get there?" and it would take me 3 times as long to go through the steps than to leap to the answer. It's like having to walk with the class when you are a brilliant sprinter and you just want to get there. When you try to teach, you have to slow down and figure out why others can't leap as fast as you do.

I have a theory that people who are brilliant in one area can be deficient in others. How many stars have disastrous personal lives, can't manage money, etc? Sometimes you dedicate so much of your energy to succeeding in one realm the rest of your life just falls apart.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 10:12AM by axeldc.

Date: January 10, 2016 09:46AM

I find I constantly have to watch my vocabulary when speaking to people, because I don't want to come off as pompous or incomprehensible. I feel I would do if I did not continue to second-guess myself.

Posted by: strangeloop ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 01:03PM

Same: 136

Date: January 10, 2016 09:09AM

I'm just plain socially awkward.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:37AM

The answer to life the universe everything is 42.

Some of the smartest people I have ever known were really quite stupid in the real world.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:15AM

(whatever successful means?) just be smart enough.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:23AM

Don't know. I took an IQ test back in my school days but we were never told the results. I know I have more practical knowledge than some of the bozos I run into.

RB

Posted by: Happy Visitor ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:37AM

"I'm not a smart man..."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:49AM

I only took the SAT because my friend didn't want to go to take it alone (then they lost her results and she had to take it again). My sister saw my SAT scores when she was going to college (where I went for 2 semesters) and she said they were great, but I don't remember what they were and I don't care.

I've done well in life against all odds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 09:56AM by cl2.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 09:53AM

Your IQ is your intelligence quotient, and so's mine.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:08AM

Snort!

Posted by: Starry..... ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:03AM

I have a SIL who has been a professional student most of her life. 2 bachalor degrees. 1 in music. The other in nursing. Extremely intellect, but socially ackward and stunted. ( does not get sarcasm at all). She has done nothing with her life except screw it up. She is 57 years old, got married for first time At 49, is a SAH wife who teaches private piano lessons. I on the other hand struggled with school and had to fight to get where I am today.
Oh and her house could be an episode of hoarders.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 10:18AM

the 'average' IQ scores, ie those those which describe the vast majority of the population stretch over a range from 70-120. To fall under or over this range is considered 'abnormal'.

If one has a lower than average IQ, the individual is considered mentally handicapped and afforded great understanding by the general population.

When one has IQ above average, the individual is still treated differently by the rest of society since they are indeed different from the norm, but without the same understanding. The averagely intelligent person labels the above average deviants as mad or eccentric, unhinged, insane, etc. TSCC even preaches against getting involved in discussions with 'intellectuals'.

So those of us with higher than average IQ have been shunned by our schoolmates as well as by our families and our religion. It would seem we are something to be afraid of.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:10AM

A high IQ isn't worth a squirt of spit if you don't know how to apply it. It's not a measure of how successful or happy you'll be in life, either. There are problems with traditional IQ tests in not testing the full range of human intelligence and can be quite biased.

And, no, I don't have an average or low IQ, far from it, and no, I won't share because it's no one's business.

A better test and mark of intellect is knowledge, the ability to apply said knowledge, and curiosity. IMNSHO, the 9 intelligences test is a better marker of where people are more gifted than others. You can be a musical genius, but lack gifts in other areas, like spatial/visual. It's really relevant to each individual person.

Date: January 10, 2016 11:12AM

There are some brilliant people on this board who make me feel pretty inadequate. It doesn't matter what their IQ may be. They're just incredibly insightful and wise.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:14AM

Don't know my IQ ---- was A- student in college (mainly because of freshmen year which dropped me down) and a B student in high school. Just a little above average on college entrance examinations.

Did take one professional test and scored in the top 3% in the US is what they reported back to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 11:17AM by spiritist.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:15AM

My oldest daughter is a genius. She was identified at an early age by the school district, and participated in their excelled program. Later her IQ was tested at 156 on the WISC. Brilliant girl. Mentored chem and cal students at her highschool starting as a freshman. Taught piano and violin at 15 years of age. Concert pianist and violinist winning many prestigious awards in national events. Aced the ACT. Received one of 22 to slots in a medical school here in the mid-west. What did she do? Went to BYU, married, 3-kids, stay at home mom, and finished her major in family development. Unbelievable. Total waste. Could have been a mom and a doctor. She bypassed the accelerated 6-year med school program out of high school. Settled for a chem degree at YBU, but later downgraded to the family developed degree at the insistence of her husband. She and hub and very deluded TBM's.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:15AM

I find it absolutely hilarious that the Spanish word for flipping idiot is "menso" for a male or "mensa" for a woman.

I have nothing against IQ measures, always keeping in mind that they are extremely narrow and limited. What is less than wonderful is people considering themselves "more valuable" than others because of such a measure.

One of my dad's favorite sayings was: "It's not your IQ; it's your I DO!"

A very wise man, my dad. Another one of his favorites was: "S/he who hoots with the owls by night does not soar with the eagles by day." I should have paid more attention to this one, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 11:19AM by bordergirl.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 11:53AM

When I was crazy and going through suicidal depression and PTSD, and leaving tscc, I was tested the next morning at a psych program in Kansas city after taking an overdose the night before.....

So it was 139. haha. I had no idea, no idea what I was doing, I was so drugged up. I think I was blessed with that iq just then so that I could figure out tscc was bullshit.

It didn't do me much good in high school or on the act though. my brain is frost now anyway, you can tell I've been in Utah too long;)

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 12:03PM

69, so I win ;)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 12:07PM

I've semi-ranted about this topic on here before, when certain posters insisted that 90%+ of the world's population were too stupid to understand science (because of their "average" or below IQ scores). A contention that is nothing short of absurd.

I've worked with hundreds of kids whose IQ test scores were below 100, some well below (in the 60's). Though these kids can and do have a hard time with some kinds of "traditional" learning and subjects, many if not most of them are "geniuses" in certain areas, and far more able to learn than most give them credit for -- they usually just need an approach to learning tailored to their own strengths and weaknesses.

And as others have pointed out, I've worked with supposed "super-genius" IQ scorers who were essentially worthless as human beings in a social world, accomplishing little, adding nothing to our shared experiences.

My own IQ score is fairly high. Doesn't matter. I pooh-pooh IQ scores in general, although the tests are somewhat useful as a base for some learning abilities, but not as an overall measure of either "intelligence" or learning ability.

Our societies have a longstanding wish to be able to very simply categorize *everything,* including scores of limited little boxes we'd like to put humans into. On the surface it appears to simplify things, to let us make quick judgments about other humans, and move on. Dig down, though, and it's not at all reasonable, it can cause a great deal of harm to those who deviate slightly (or even greatly) from the norm, and it quashes individuality, creativity, and personal motivation to learn about the world. In that sense, our tendency to want such simple classifications is reflected in mormonism, which loves to label people "faithful/worthy" or "sinners/unworthy," and never address the reasons, the huge variability in human belief and thought, and which quashes individuality and creativity.

So, pardon the language, but...fuck IQ scores. Despite their limited usefulness, using them to stick humans in little pre-defined boxes, and not let them out, is far too simple and misguided. Give me an hour with anyone, no matter what their IQ score is, and I can tell you far more about their intelligence, what they can and can't do, and what their "potential" is, than the best IQ test in existence.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 01:07PM

I'm a little more generous; I'll give a person 4.5 hours before completing an assessment of his/her intelligence, knowledge and character. Yep, I can do that in just one round of golf.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 12:13PM

Aint life grand...ive yet to meet a brilliant engineer who wasnt stunted socially or who demonstrated social skills or had what id call normal empathy...the rigor of black and white math and science is not tempered by the grey areasof art or language...or the mental imagery required for flight of fancy..so much seems dependant on right or left side brain development...the brain and the human being can be such a complex mechanism i believe we will always struggle to label and pigeon hole with any degree of accuracy...that said perhaps self esteem learned at parents knee or grandpas lap may ultimately decide how far intelligence may fly...my old man seemed to detest me most of my life due it seems to looking more like my moms side of the family..no opportunity was passed to let me know i would never amount to much compared to my siblings who more demonstrated his vaunted but damaged genetics...years later...flailing at reconciling why gawd seemed so neglectful and dilatory in answering prayers or rewarding obedience ( life was in the shitter) ...a psychologist asked me to take an iq test...sure why not...she and i were gobsmacked at the results...then began the search for answers as to why one so gifted mentally had adopted a life course so much more in tune with average intelligence(her assessment) ....farming...ranching...sweat and dirt and doing things the hard way..regarding human beings...there are no easy answers...the variables and inconsistancies are just too vast...have yet to meet a math teacher who can figger out why everyone doesnt just get it.(i love and hate math)..its just so easy why cant you see it...cuz he couldnt possibly write a treatise on anything resembling empathy or humanity...its black and white...kind of sad much of life is grey....ps..you can do things the hard way and still come out on top...itll be dirty...might not be fun ...but it can be done...who is to say?...you can be smart as a whip yet dumb as a post

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 12:45PM

The IQ test is like comparing the tortoise and the hare. The hare might get places faster but he needs more rest time for his sudden spurts. The tortoise however paces himself and steadily moves forward. Which is smarter if they both get to the same place?

I am a hare while my wife is a tortoise. I can get an amazing amount of stuff done in a very short time. However I need downtime in order to recover. My wife just keep plodding along at stuff and gets equally the amount of stuff done but takes longer.

She went to school on full ride academic scholarships while I worked my way through it. She got better grades than I did but I spent less than 1/10 the amount of time studying. The different between a A or a B with me was about 5x the studying. I like B's they gave me time for a nap.

Everyone's method of learning is also different. I am a highly visual learner. I made it though a few science classes in college because I could draw the figures from the text/presentations onto the essay portion of the test and then explain what I could.

I struggle with any type of language learning. Names, foreign language, vocabulary, are all a struggle for me.

My wife is the direct opposite. She gets lost constantly and can't remember much that isn't verbal or written down. She natively speaks two languages and has studied 3 more.

On an IQ test I score higher. In reality we are pretty equal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.