Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:29PM

I just returned from a 2 week vacation. One change we will make is to let threads go to 45. Some may go longer - admin decision.

We have been remarkably free of trolls - only a couple per day. Please use the report button if something does not appear proper.

We are working too on the banned word list. There was a good reason for many of the banned words at the time. Some banned words will always be in the list. This is a work in progress.

Eric

I believe we can go to 60 if the other admins agree. I have seen no major issues and I have more time as I am home and retired. This is a great group here. We will still get a few spoilers along the way, but that is life on the Net.

I am also looking at adding a twitter feed. There will be a button to follow on twitter. This way one can follow the board if someone tweets about a post he or she feels of interest to the twitter followers. I plan on having that next week as an experiment. If it is not too time consuming, it will be permanent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 06:35PM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:31PM

Thank you for your efforts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:31PM

Thanks Eric. That sounds like a good change. I'm glad that the trolls haven't been too active.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:35PM

Thanks, Eric.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:38PM

is that when a community member has suffered a nasty loss or setback of some sort, there doesn't seem to be a limit on posts of support. That says something about us!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 05:38PM

Good thing, cuz, I was going to complain to ghawd...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 06:21PM

Much grass, Eric!

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 06:05AM

If the Strengthening Members Committee troll in here please let them find me. Getting bored in retirement. Now into my fifth day... Still waking up early

Gatorman

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 10:29AM

gatorman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the Strengthening Members Committee troll in
> here please let them find me. Getting bored in
> retirement. Now into my fifth day... Still waking up early
===============================
Gator, dear, I hate to tell you this, but I'm in my third month of retirement and I still wake up in time to get ready for work every day!

...even when I just got to sleep an hour before!

Doxi, insomniac extraordinaire

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 07:02PM

I'm on year 15. The dog still wakes up at 6am and insists that everyone else does too. Once I have my coffee, the dog goes back to bed and sleeps till noon. Some days i'd like to wring her little neck.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 09:04PM

After a few years in retirement, I prefer rising at the crack of noon. I have no pets to wake me earlier.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 07:05AM

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 08:06AM

Thanks, Eric. :)

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 08:10AM

Thanks Eric. We appreciate all you do to make this forum the best Exmo site this side of Kolob.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 02:15PM

I have trouble posting because I can never figure out what word I used that is banned.

Something doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 06:34PM

Agreed. Is there a list of banned words available? It only got me once, but I couldn't figure out what word was banned, and nothing in my post seemed like it would be a banned word. I tried changing a few and that didn't work so I just deleted my attempt to post.

Date: August 09, 2016 06:42PM

We can't give out the banned word list, but I have reduced it significantly over the past 2 days. I am still working on it. It should block far less posts now. Again, there was a reason for the banned words when they were put in place. We are evolving as a site.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 02:21PM

The real trick is figuring out which word was banned in a post one writes when it's not an obvious one. I wrote a post one that included a word that can be used offensively against women that starts with a "p" but my mind didn't see it as that word in that case because I was referring to a feminist punk band who use the "p" word in their band name. Took me a dozen read-throughs to finally go, "Oooooh, right!" and then just dash the P word.

If a banned word could be highlighted in some way, that would be super useful!

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 02:43PM

that they have either given up the fight or that there are no longer enough TBM's who want to bother with trolling.

I admit that this conclusion is way too good to be true. LOL

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 07:06PM

I'm hoping that as they see more and more members go online, never to return, they've become a little fearful. The word is getting out that we know more about their religion than they do, and it ain't pretty. This may be overly optimistic.

Thanks to people like Eric and the moderators the above scenario could be a real possibility.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 07:28AM

EXACTLY, EXACTLY what I was thinking!

;o)

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 07:05PM

Baby steps in the right direction. Thanks!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 02:42AM

Not exactly what I would prefer, but you don't get everything in life. Thanks, Eric. I know I complained about this a lot, and I am glad I was heard. Sometimes it is irritating when you start to think no one cares, and then you start to wonder if what you care about even matters in the first place.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 04:55AM

"Nothing matters and then you die."
-- Friar Pathos Lágrimas, at the birth of his twins

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 03:54PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> "Nothing matters and then you die."
> -- Friar Pathos Lágrimas, at the birth of his
> twins

If you thought that was bad you should have heard what he said at the birth of his triplets. He's such a whiner.

Date: August 07, 2016 08:41AM

I retired in mid-April. I am just now finding time to work on this site. The first 6 weeks of retirement was full of music gigs. I helped a neighbor remodel a rental home and returned from a couple of weeks of vacation in California on Weds. I also remodeled my music room. Retirement has been busy.

We will need another admin or two along the way. This board has an extraordinary group of people willing to help each other. We wish to maintain this precious resource to assist newbies as they work their way out of Mormonism. Suggestions are good and we are paying attention.

Date: August 07, 2016 08:12AM

What thing is it for a man to be accused of having 34 wives when I can only find 33. - Joseph Smith

Oh wait, did I get that wrong?

Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread, I've just been wanting to make that joke for a while

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 10:39AM

That sounds nice. DANG! Whoopie!! My goodness :)

"This is a work in progress."

Tell me about it.lol

Thanks Erik And everybody

M@t

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 03:35AM

Sweet. Dang! Oh hell!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 03:38AM by readwrite.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 04:09PM

Instead of banning words, why not create software that will simply replace letters in banned words with dashes - or with a PC definition of the banned word? In addition to masking banned words, it could be fairly entertaining.

IMO, banning words is kinda silly. When you can camouflage a letter or two in a bad word to where it's still recognizable, the word survives the ban and gets through anyway.

My mother had a list of banned words. If I said one, she washed my mouth out with soap. If the word got washed out of my mouth, it stayed my brain. She had to make me go to Church to get my brain washed.

Date: August 07, 2016 04:18PM

Some of the banned words are due to automatic spammers, others for being crude. There is no one reason for banned words. It is being worked on now.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 04:45PM

Thanks, Eric.

I'm sure I don't even partially understand all of the issues that must be involved.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 04:53PM

I just appreciate being listened to

Posted by: The Mormon Jesus ( )
Date: August 07, 2016 11:58PM

Date: August 09, 2016 03:42AM

The Mormon Jesus Wrote:
> n/t

Wept? Or SWept?

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 03:19PM

the JST version has it as Jesus Slept. Who would have guessed?

Date: August 09, 2016 03:41AM

This beautiful love grows on ya'!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 03:58AM

Life is too important for Mormonism to be taken seriously.

(I revised Oscar Wilde's quote to the effect that life is too important to be taken seriously)

Thanks for all you do, Eric, in this effort and for all others who assist.

Date: August 09, 2016 06:26PM

to the top for discussion for threads to hit 60 as long as the trolling is as good as it is right now.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 06:52PM

60 seems too long. One gets lost trying to again find a particular post one wanted to commit about.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughtful efforts in our behalf trying to make the best system possible.

Date: August 09, 2016 06:54PM

OK we will try 60, but if it is too long, we will stay at 45

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 06:57PM

To help with the longer threads I will use smaller pixels.

(As I tell my wife, "It's bigger than it looks.")

Date: August 10, 2016 03:20AM

60 is even better for 45. I think threads that are interesting usually peter out between 50-100 posts (on other forums, depending on the kind of threads, etc). 60 seems just fine. I suspect thread-closing will become less frequent.

Ideally, you have a group of posters that are collectively mature enough to behave, but since this site will occasionally be fodder for trolls and TBM's naive attempts to 'school us', I can see the need for safeguards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 10:38AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 03:03PM

Thanks Eric! Awesome job by you and the admins.

Corrected autocorrect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 03:04PM by Bruce A Holt.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 03:12PM

This "Little Engine That Could" has turned into a huge train going to great places since it's inception!

Thanks for the update. Improvements just mean it's evolving and that's a "Good Thing."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 05:04PM

{{jk}} :P

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.