Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 12:20PM

My 14 year old is forced by my ex to attend seminary. I took him to get hot chocolate (it was 7 degrees) and a sandwich from Starbucks before his class.

He did not get a chance to finish it and he did not want to bring the cup inside because, well, Starbucks is of the devil.

I prepped him.

His teacher told him that a Starbucks cup is the definition of the appearance of evil. They told him that they sell coffee and therefore it is a store that people should avoid supporting. My son asked if they sell coffee at the grocery store where the teacher shops.

Mumbling...followed by total silence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 12:21PM by sb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 12:23PM

I suppose Mormons shouldn't support Marriot or countless other TBM owned businesses.

Date: January 06, 2017 12:26PM

If Starbucks was owned by Mormons, they's find a way to excuse them.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 12:32PM

That seminary teacher sounds about as clueless as the one I had for 2 weeks. I told mine that Kolob was total bullshit. He got VERY angry...and had no comeback.

RB

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 12:39PM

The "very appearance of evil" thing should also be mentioned regarding the financial transparency of LDS Inc.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 12:57PM

every fast food sells coffee, every convenience store, every grocery store, every gas station.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 01:00PM

Early church leaders participated in and encouraged production and consumption of alcohol, tea, and coffee.Both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young owned and personally supervised businesses that sold alcohol. Smith installed a fully-stocked bar in the Nauvoo Mansion (much to Emma's dismay) and passed a city law authorizing alcohol sales.

Young not only ordered the pioneers to bring coffee and tea with them, he made the church the dominant player in early Utah's alcohol industry. He imported six tons in 1856 for personal use, started a saloon under church control, and built a brewery and a distillery. They even sold alcohol, tobacco, tea, and coffee in church stores. Abstinence didn't become an enforced policy until Prohibition.

Your son can tell his teacher to put that in his cocoa cup and drink it.

You can find more info here: http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/home3/57445355-200/church-wine-lds-alcohol.html.csp
and elsewhere by doing a Google search.

Date: January 06, 2017 01:47PM

Very true, however he is in seminary where "the truth is not always helpful" -BKP. He is neck deep in truthiness country.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 02:22PM

Hey RfM, let's scrounge around and see if anyone can find a Starbucks cup with the original corporate logo--the mermaid has BIG nakkid boobs! Then, SB can put the cocoa in it and send him off to seminary in style! The Merman's Boner.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 06:48PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey RfM, let's scrounge around and see if anyone
> can find a Starbucks cup with the original
> corporate logo--the mermaid has BIG nakkid boobs!
> Then, SB can put the cocoa in it and send him off
> to seminary in style! The Merman's Boner.

Yes! Would be nice to have original logo with 'Come Together' written by barista circa 2012.

Posted by: Ipo ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 02:57PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 02:59PM

Why are so many LDS folks so stupid? Ya, just plain dumber than a box of rocks! Good Grief, people. A Starbucks cup is not anyone's business.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 03:31PM

There is only the appearance of evil when one is being judged.

Mormons love to judge.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 04:46PM

"There is only the appearance of evil when one is being judged."

That is a great statement. A perfect comeback to any TBM that starts up with the appearance of evil stuff.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 03:40PM

You did a great job prepping him. Would have loved to have seen the teacher's face! :)

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 05:51PM

Teacher probably felt like he/she was stuck in a "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream"

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 06:30PM

Mormonism is [the appearance of] evil!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 06:47PM

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 09:00PM

I am so glad you included this post. Thank you. Before I quit CES, my youngest son, a very independent fellow (like his siblings), loved to go to seminary, even though he never attended any other meetings. He just liked to social interaction and asking all kinds of questions in the seminary atmosphere (early morning no less). I didn't pressure him to go. He just liked the people who attended and the teacher.

The teacher, was a saint. I appointed her after she was recommended by her bishop because I was her seminary supervisor (stake ces coordinator, and I was also full time faculty at the LDS institute).

Anyway, my son would buy a latte or a mocha before seminary every morning to help him wake up, and then pick up a couple of kids and attend seminary. He sipped the mocha or latte during class every day without a complaint from her or anyone else. He wasn't trying to be a smart-alec. He just didn't see the need to follow conventions (like no coffee or tea) he thought were unnecessary.

I thought it was pretty cool of the teacher to understood that a good relationship with him was far more important than a church rule about coffee. Good on you Sister Peterson!

Thanks again for helping me reminisce about something fun to remember.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 10:36PM

Things have changed greatly.

In my day, I would NOT be entitled to ANY kind of beverage during sacred class time, NOT even water, not even in a resealable container like the ones that soft drinks are currently offered in, let alone anything that remotely hinted of super sinful coffee, let alone any type of food. Church /seminary was supposed to be an (unpleasant) experience of concentrated emphasis on THE teachings/ THE doctrine to the exclusion of any other indulgence especially those of a disgusting worldly nature like food or drink.

LDS inc can not be so restrictive and dictatorial with the upcoming youth anymore , because they are losing them , just as they deserve to after the way that they treated them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 10:55PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 01:20AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.