Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:13AM

Looking for commiseration here I guess. Wife won't let me watch in our home anything like West World, Game of Thrones, or other series that I find entertaining without major problems and arguments.

Apparently, she can sense that it "drives the Spirit away."

Last time I watched it, she left the house and went to the temple for the whole day. I guess worshipping in a place that forbids access to children whose parents are gay does not "drive the Spirit away."

Uggh. Not sure how far I should push this. But dammit, it's my house too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:14AM

I guess the god of t!ts and wine isn't a big hit with Mormons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:24AM

Do you have two TV sets? During the evening, it's nice to see TV shows or movies together, but perhaps you could watch GoT separately at another time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 10:25AM by summer.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:27AM

"The Spirit" can't compete with the cold sneer of a naked Daenerys Targaryen walking though fire unburnt demanding all to bow down before her...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 10:29AM by anybody.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 12:16PM

Amen!

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 01:01PM

ah - she demanded nothing - they all bowed down anyway due to her actions, not her words.

The church could learn a thing or two from the kaleesa.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 10:57AM

If possible, point out that what she feels "drives the Spirit away" is actually her driving it away by refusing to find acceptance with our own human nature and the human form we take during our existence.

Watching a TV show that shows the human body and depicts some of our human nature doesn't "drive the spirit away"....but getting angry about it and disconnecting from your husband over it does.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 11:40AM

Well she's missing out. Those are both awesome shows.
I don't understand Mormons. They won't watch any movies or tv shows with violence or sex, but yet they'll read the Book of Mormon and the Bible, which have both.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 12:10PM

Yeah well I already ticked her off with that one. She was talking about how sick and warped the cannibalism scene was and I said, "Oh, like the Book of Mormon where the Lamanites rape and eat women?"

Didn't go over so well.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 05:37PM

Tell her she can't ever watch or read Shakespeare again, because that's a scene right inspired by Titus Andronicus.

Posted by: Amos90 ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 12:58PM

"Drives the Spirit away" is a euphemism for "offends my personal, subjective sensibilities".

Comparing it to the temple is apt because many of us, knowing the Masonic, polygamy, statutory rape of minors, coercion of tithing, etc., realities of the temple are highly offended by it. To us it's beyond distasteful, it's immoral. It makes me feel uneasy, wary...i.e. it "drives the Spirit away".

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 01:05PM

The only thing that I can think of is to consider how obnoxious it would be if my (non-existent) spouse were to watch reruns of General Conferences and GA speeches all the time, even knowing that it annoys me. For me, that would totally drive any happy spirit out of the house.

So, maybe that is how you wife feels when you watch the shows that she dislikes.

It is sad that your wife believes that the holy ghost will abandon your home when you watch certain tv shows. That level of superstition is hard to discuss. I've never been able to comprehend why Mormons believe that the spirit is so weak and helpless.

If that part of the godhead is so frail and prone to banishment by even the lightest of opposing situations, how can mere humans ever hope to achieve perfection? (Serious question --- it seems that part of the overall perfect god complex can't even come close to being as valiant and determined as humans are supposed to do. So if a god force can't do it, it would seem to be enormously foolish to imagine that people can.)

Can you talk with your wife about her religious beliefs at all? In reference to my first paragraph, does she watch church stuff on tv? If so, can you tell her that TSCC tv is as difficult for you as Game of Thrones is for her? Get her to consider compromise, if she wants to watch her stuff?

The 2 tv solution (with headphones) would be nice, if she can live with that. But I suspect that since she's defined it as a matter of driving the spirit out of the house, she'd still feel the same negative things even if you were locked in a tiny room in the attic or basement. It still is worth a try, but your success may be limited by the depth of her superstition.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 01:13PM

You think your marriage is important. She doesn't.

When a church--any church, regardless of dogma--takes precedence over a marriage, there is no marriage.

Maybe I'm wrong. You should find out--it will save you a lot of time and trauma downstream. Ask her point-blank: "Is our marriage more important to you than Mormonism? Because if it is you need to respect my choices that have nothing to do with you. If you can't do that, we're not really married."

Get it out in the open. Lance the boil; squeeze out the pus.

Posted by: Isn't that special! ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 05:47PM

Occasionally you can live with a boil for a very long time.

Sometimes, opening one is fatal.

But if you want healing, or health, letting air and light in is the only cure.

A very apt analogy.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 01:30PM

Maybe turn TSCC teachings to your advantage and play the "family patriarch" card? Worth a shot…

Or if you're willing to go drastic: "Honey, the TV is sowing contention in our home. The Spirit has inspired me to cancel our cable/satellite subscription." Then she can't watch BYU-TV or GenCon.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 03:42PM

I have a family member who plays that card. It's absolute nonsense. Occasionally this person will walk downstairs and see that I'm watching something like, I don't know the Tudors or whatever, and will just freak out. Yet she had no problem watching 24, which contains wanton depictions of torture and violence, and much more concerning in my opinion, stereotypical depictions of Eastern Europeans, Muslims, and Africans as terrorists. Show a tit or say fuck and for some reason things become very taboo for Mormons. Just the other day, I was talking about how much I was looking forward to the show Taboo, incidentally, and I gently mocked said family member for saying 'I'm not sure I want something on in this house that's rated TV - MA!' I think I said something like oh no, not TV-MA. I don't think she understands that TV ratings are so disparate, incongruous, and inconsistent that they are essentially worthless, but in her mind she equates it with an R-rated movie, and therefore according to her church, it is considered sinful to watch. There is no logic to it.

I've seen stuff on TV that is TVMA that has nudity and F words and whatnot, and I've seen stuff that is rated TVMA that contains none of that, just based on the network it's on. TV ratings are stupid and they should get rid of them. Hell, all ratings are stupid, I cannot stand the MPAA and the control they wield over the movie industry and the theater industry, for that matter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 03:47PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Allie ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 04:10PM

I don't like game of thrones. The Breaker of Chains episode hit a little close to home for me. Watching Jaime rape his sister on Jofferys throne made me sick.
Sure, my brother didn't rape me on a coffin, but it was still a trigger. I can't watch the show now, not without thinking about that scene and the pain associated with it.

My husband, out of respect for me, doesn't watch it on our TV when I am in the house. Personally, I would give the advice that you should probably respect your wife's wishes on this. Watch it on your own time. Or get HBO now on your mobile. Thats what hubby does, he watches it on his phone with headphones on if I'm in the house.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 04:27PM

For such an awesomely powerful omnipresent deity, that holy ghost sure gets run off easily.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 07, 2017 05:50PM

Would a tablet, HBO-GO, and bluetooth headphones do the trick?
That way you could watch in some place where it wouldn't "enrage" her...like the bathroom. Or the backyard.

Just a thought...

On the one hand, a spouse (you or her) should be willing to let the other one do things they don't want to participate in. On the other hand, a spouse shouldn't want to do things that bother the other one. It's sometimes a fine line to walk...especially when conflicts over TSCC are in the mix. Good luck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.