Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Not Codependent Anymore ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 06:03AM

I guess many of you have seen advanced manipulative things that people do that are so advanced that if you told someone about what you had experienced they would think you were insane?

Been reading lots of different material on Cluster B-disorders the past two months and most of the material revolves around explanations that people with disorders act the elaborate way they do because they have good functioning brains but no empathy.

It kind of makes sense and it make me feel more confident accepting that there is no need for me to explain what has happened to other people because they would not believe me. What is of importance is that I know and can move on in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 10:40AM

There's another term for people who lack empathy and manipulate others...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

I agree with your conclusion, btw. Life is short, get on with living it as you want to!

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 01:19AM

Ah, yes. That magical word psychopathy. You tell the church everything because youre supposed to. And leader after leader refuses to believe you. Says forgive as jesus forgives.
Because they dont know that word psycopathy.
And neither do you until that day when a counselor tells you Yes, hes a psycopath! They all do that.cops know. Counselor know but church leaders dont know so they consider him a nice mormon boy and blame you because you have to be lying. Hes such agood mormon boy.

Ah, if onlythey would slow that boat down and learn a new word.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 10:53AM

They could always start a religious cult -- and they don't even have to be that bright.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 23, 2018 10:59AM

He says that someone who doesn't have emotional intelligence can't be taught it. He said it would be like trying to teach an intellectually challenged person calculus. He said it isn't possible.

He said that people with good emotional intelligence can be so overwhelmed with their ability to feel what others feel that they become hermits. My son is one of those. My therapist has told me that one of the reasons I go through what I do is I have good emotional intelligence. I have had to deal with some pretty manipulative and mean people in my life, one being my older sister who is 17 months older. I finally cut her off a year ago for good. Never going back there again.

I would consider my sister at the very least a narcissist. Probably more like a psychopath.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 12:47AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> He said that people with good emotional
> intelligence can be so overwhelmed with their
> ability to feel what others feel that they become
> hermits.
>

I would give anything to be a hermit.

I was at an antique show and saw a man there (30s-ish) who was terribly handicapped with multiple-anomaly deformities. somewhat micro cephalic. A kind-looking woman was helping him walk around, and he appeared to be trying to look at things. What was he thinking? What was he feeling?

Just seeing him hurt my heart so deeply that I had to find a place to sit down.

Is it emotional intelligence or is it BPD? Allegedly, I don't have BPD (I've asked), but I need help with these reactions to folks who are hurt in some way. I'm honestly afraid of having a heart attack with reactions that stun me that hard.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 12:38PM

I have a difficult time seeing things like that, too. My son has a difficult time even going out. He has it much worse than I do.

It is so difficult to see the pain in the world.

My therapist brought it up to me because of some things that have happened in my life and how I react to them. AND how to deal with those people who just don't get it.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 12:43PM

I work on 2 computers and I don't have the password to make it so I can edit what I say on this computer.

I tend to think everyone sees what I might see and I'm rather surprised when you ask them and they don't. My boyfriend, my ex, and my daughter don't have a lot of emotional intelligence, although they are all extremely intelligent. They are the reason my therapist has brought this up to me. It has helped me to understand why they do what they do a lot of times, but other times, it is just too much. He tells me to say, "Oh that's just _____ (daughter)." So all the people walking around the same person you saw aren't thinking or feeling what you are feeling. Hard to comprehend.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 01:36AM

I feel empathy despite what people may think. Anytime i see a homeless person or a handicap person or a disabled person i feel it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.