Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonExmoInAZ ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 07:12PM

I haven't stopped by here in quite a long time. I'm so far removed from the church that I hardly think about it any longer...

BUT

Then sometimes something happens and I can't help but to wonder about it.

I live in a highly populated LDS location. Over the last year or so, I've seen so many mormon mothers wearing tank tops!!! And lot of tank top pics on social media too!!! Am I missing something? Are garments optional now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 07:32PM

No, garments are not optional. But I've heard reports here and there similar to what you describe. I've sometimes wondered if TBMs will start to gradually abandon garments, perhaps only wearing them on Sundays and to the temple. Yes, they are a visible signal of belonging to "the club." But they are also a 19th-century relic that has little relevance to modern life.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 08:11PM

wife doesn't wear her running clothes all day anymore. I guess she decided she had to set an example.

The things I find ridiculous are the yoga pants with garment lines. Nothing screams sexy like those do.

The garments are becoming more and more like something like "under armour." Nothing like what I had to wear.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 11:43PM

OK, I admit it. I'm socially awkward - and OLD. I will be 71 toward the end of this month.

My daughter gave me some cute tank tops when I learned that I was supposed to have radiation treatment. My question: Is it "decent" to wear them with a bra?? It would most certainly be INdecent if I wore one without some kind of "foundation" underneath.

I know RfM is not the place to go for fashion advice, but hey, I didn't start the thread!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 07:09AM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, I admit it. I'm socially awkward - and OLD. I
> will be 71 toward the end of this month.
>
> My daughter gave me some cute tank tops when I
> learned that I was supposed to have radiation
> treatment. My question: Is it "decent" to wear
> them with a bra?? It would most certainly be
> INdecent if I wore one without some kind of
> "foundation" underneath.
>
> I know RfM is not the place to go for fashion
> advice, but hey, I didn't start the thread!

Catnip,

1) and most important, wear whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.
2) AFA tank tops and bras, for me, a bra is a must, tank or otherwise. Some smaller chested women can go w/o.

BUT again, there are no rules or regulations. DO what is most comfy for You. :)

Thinking of you, today, as I think it's day 1.

Good luck

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 06:15PM

I wear a tank year round either to layer or alone. I have been wearing these for years because they do cover straps (going braless is SO not an option) and are cut high enough that you don't feel like you are giving the neighborhood a show when you are gardening :P

https://www.womanwithin.com/products/ribbed-tank/1004938.html?#q=ribbed%2Btank&lang=default&searchplaceholder=Search&dwvar_1004938_color=8666&start=1

Another good option is to throw an unbuttoned camp shirt over it.

Posted by: getting older ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 10:25PM

I'm not really sure there's anything that's considered really indecent these days, as long as your boobs and crotch are covered. If you feel comfortable with your bra straps showing then go for it. No one else will care. There are far worse sights to be seen, just look at the people of Walmart site!

Posted by: JulieG ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 12:16AM

Personally I think it looks tacky to wear tank tops or sundresses where the bra straps show. It depends on the type of strap on the tank top. Some are wide enough that the bra strap will be covered. The spaghetti strap style is what I'm talking about where you can see the bra strap and it looks so tacky.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 12:42AM

Sigh. That's kinda what I thought. My daughter wears then all the time, with a bra, and her attitude is, "If you don't like it, you can look elsewhere."

JulieG, I tend to be in your camp. The tops she gave me have spaghetti straps.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 05:44AM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of bra straps showing. The only exception might be work out wear where you are exposing a sports bra.

Catnip, I would wear the tank tops at home. They will be cool and comfortable for summer.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 04:48PM

That's where strapless (for those of us with manageable busts) come in. I hate the look of straps showing as well! I like the racerback style of bra (or the clips you can use to bring the straps to the middle of your back) for wifebeater style tanks. Nude bras are also a must.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 12:47AM

I stopped in a SLC coffee shop today (Sunday). I overheard a young man explaining to three companions that he served a mission and figured out the church was false. He was drinking coffee while wearing a tanktop. Today’s young Mormons arent so gullible as I was at their age. The Boner.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 07:10AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I stopped in a SLC coffee shop today (Sunday). I
> overheard a young man explaining to three
> companions that he served a mission and figured
> out the church was false. He was drinking coffee
> while wearing a tanktop. Today’s young Mormons
> arent so gullible as I was at their age. The
> Boner.

thumbs up

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 12:56PM

I don't think it matters much these days if bra straps show. There just aren't as many "rules" about that sort of stuff as there used to be.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 07:01PM

IN ~ for links to pics ~

brb ~ using imagination because no pics ~

in b 4 ~ it is the 21st century now OPie ~

in b 4 ~ girls wear they underware on the outside they clothes now ~

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 10:31PM

I'd love to see a Utah / SLC chapter of Free The Nipples!

Seriously, men have nipples too. Only thing is, we don't have hide or cover ours in public!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 10:32PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.