Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 04:21PM

How do TBMs observe Pioneer Day outside of Utah?

My DD asked for some family information for her children to share at church for Pioneer Day. They don't live in Utah.

I sent great stories about two of my courageous non-Mormon great-grandmothers who homesteaded on the Dakota prairie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 04:56PM

I lived in Utah from birth until age 6.
I remember going to Pioneer Day parades, pot-lucks, etc. while living there.

Then we moved to California. Still mormon, still mostly socialized with mormons.

And it was like: "What day?"

:)

Posted by: an exmo ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:06PM

Say "Pioneer Pie&Beer Pioneer Pie&Beer Pioneer Pie&Beer" and you will know why the exmos here call it "Pie and Beer" Day and then eat pie and beer to celebrate their pioneering out of the Church.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:08PM

When I lived down South the ward use to head up to the mountains for their annual picnic, there was hiking, fishing, swimming, pot luck, it was all Mayberry like and everything!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:36PM

I lived in the San Joaquin Valley of California when my dad needed to be there on LDS church business. We would have been there for three Pioneer Days. A ward in sort of a cowboy town there hosted a stake rodeo on one of the Pioneer Days. I remember a few people being injured, one seriously. My parents organized a picnic on another. I can't remember anything happening on the third one.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:54PM

I grew up in Southern Idaho and our town was roughly 40% LDS. We always had a pioneer day parade around the church parking lot for the primary kids. We'd make little floats on our wagons and dress up in pioneer or cowboy dress. I remember as a kid that it was always stinking HOT.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 12:38PM

In our ward, they were "around the block parades." My mother was always into decorating our trikes and bikes (for Peach Days children's parades in Brigham), too. Thinking about it now, she wasn't very social, but she sure did like doing these things.

Nowadays, it is "oh no, fireworks again, my boyfriend's 100+ pound German Shepherd will go bonkers want to sit on MY lap." I dread the 4th and 24th.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 06:47PM

"Crickets" in Las Vegas, from 1953 to 1965.

Who would want to do anything outside in late July, in Vegas?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 01:55AM

At my last job when I lived in Las Vegas, two women on my first "team" heard me say I moved there from Utah (although I'd been there 10 years already).

One was a lovely Phillipino woman who made delicious lumpia ? every time we had a pot luck and she didn't waste any time asking what area of town I lived in so she could tell me where to go to church.

The other woman wasn't active(she married a non-mo) but her kids went to church with her parents and she wanted to make sure I knew where to go.

One year, I got an invitation from both of them to go to the Stake 24th of July Celebration (turns out they were in the same stake), but darn it, I had to work that day. They kept asking me to come and I kept saying no. THey were always friendly but I think they got the message that I wasn't interested in going to church.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 07:50PM

I'm sorry Notlogged in.... when I first read this I thought it

was a joke. If memory serves me correctly I think there was one

day where the kids dressed as pioneers and walked around the

chuch parking lot..... I live in a suburb of L.A. so they

didn't go big for mormon pioneer holidays.... Oh well.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 10:15PM

Yes. There are parts of Mormondom outside of Utah that celebrate the day. It's usually a town holiday and can include parades down main street and a day of games.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 10:52PM

It was pretty much ignored in New York because a lot of people in the ward never heard of it. We finally did have a Pioneer Day picnic though and educated ourselves. Turns out it was a big deal for Utahns, as it should be I guess.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 12:08AM

I grew up in Texas, and it was ignored, but maybe mentioned in church. If it happened to fall on a Saturday then maybe there was a ward breakfast and that was it.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 01:51AM

Pioneer day in the San Francisco bay area involves a gathering at the Hotel Utah and downing a pint or two while commiserating with other ex-mormons about how F$*(ed up the morg is. We usually end up closing the place down...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 09:36AM

I'm stocking up on pie and root beer to take to work on pie-and-beer day.
Since I am not in Utah, my co-workers have no idea what I am talking about.

Posted by: AnonSoutherner ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 12:33PM

Last Sunday's bulletin said that there will be a pancake dinner this coming Friday evening. Usually, we have a potluck breakfast or lunch on the back lawn at the church on Saturdays celebrating PD. We aren't going to take the kids this year.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 07:48PM

Never heard of it growing up here near Lethbridge. Don't know if it amounts to anything south of me in the local Moridor or not.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 11:40PM

When I was but a wee lad in the 60s, there was the Primary Parade from the brown church to the pharmacy corner and back. It was to celebrate Utah's July 24th. It's been discontinued. One year we all got a Wagon Wheel. That's when they were about 5 inches across. Now they're more the size of a fuckin' Oreo cookie.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 11:41PM

I meant to add to my comment that this was in good ol' Raymond.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.