Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonyms for this one ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 10:34AM

I'm so excited.....
I have to share this.
My house is paid off...…...now just taxes & insurance every month.

I hope to spend that "extra" money on fixing it up. I am not interested in any government home reverse mortgage payoffs. If I couldn't pay monthly I would have done that tho.

I wonder if this would have been possible if I'd paid my tithing. I really doubt it.....

I was worried when my husband died......it was up to me to pay
my bills. AND I did it. And
I'm lucky there was a lil more than social security to keep me going.

NOW I'm celebrating...….Being OLD has it's perks.
I'm still here and not waiting for the better life after death.

Just wanted to share......thanks for being here when I needed you.

Resigned & Retired

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 10:44AM

I took the amount of tithing that I would be paying and put it in a savings account. Each month I had an auto-withdrawal in the tithing amount. After several years of this growing I was able to retire earlier than I thought because of this large nest egg. In that way, tithing was a blessing to me :)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 11:35AM

Congratulations!!!!

I love reading about people spending their money wisely!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 11:40AM

Congratulations! We only have another year and a half. Can't wait.

I'd also like to bear my testimony of not paying tithing. God Dollar has blessed me in so many ways since I stopped paying blackmail to the Crutch. I'm so thankful.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 11:47AM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 11:53AM

I, too, have a testimony of not paying tithing. I got started very late in putting a good amount into my 401k. I was able to put in the max for several years before retirement and with my employer match, I have a nice nest egg. It would not have been possible if I was giving TSCC 10% of my income. So, that is my testimony in the name of rice and cheese, amen.

My financial planner has laid out a plan for me to pay off my mortgage which I got late in life. Not sure if I am mentally prepared to part with a big chunk of my monthly income to do it, but am considering it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 11:56AM

Good for you! It must be a great feeling of accomplishment. I have a little less than 6 years to go, and I'm really looking forward to when that monthly mortgage payment is *gone*. I love to see the principal amount dropping every month.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 12:35PM

The reality is that if I had continued to pay tithing it would have meant retirement would be impossible. I probably would have been forced to apply for bankruptcy by now if I wanted to retire. The Church only works well for upper middle class folks and those poor enough to convince the Bishop to make their house payment.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 12:47PM

Congratulations ! The dirty secret of tithing is that it literally robs you of your retirement funds, and keeps young families poor.

When they get to their 50's and 60's with no money stashed away, and a lifetime of devotion to the church, all some people have left is the church and the empty promise of the next life...so they cling even harder to the church, having given away their independence....

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 12:54PM

Not paying tithing really pays off!
This year, the 10% of my retirement and ss is going into an account for a fun trip next year!!! Yaaay!
All the money I gave to a wealthy cult for years...imo is like flushed down the crapper.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 01:23PM

Congratulations of using your money wisely.

My wife and I paid off our mortgage a couple of years ago. Last month, I retired a few years ahead of schedule. Neither of those things would have happened if we paid tithing.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 04:14PM

Wow, these are feel good stories; no one got hit by a semi or anything, because they didn’t tithe.
That “ only 10%” really makes a difference.
A lot of people have their houses and cars paid off.
The GAs all have multiple houses paid off, at their scrapping to get by members expense.
I never tithed 10%, What they didn’t know, didn’t hurt them.
I hope people aren’t gullible enough to actually pay 10%.
I always paid at, sometimes below the minimum wage.If they knew anything, they didn’t have the crust to say anything, because then they’d get nothing.
We should do a telecom , like those fake preachers, except in reverse. “ I just got a new car , since I stopped tithing, etc”

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 06:40PM

Paying tithing would have cost me either my 401K or my house. I never made enough money to cover all those things.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 06:57PM

But, Brother Don, think of the blessings of trudging along the Treadmill to Zion (tm) with 20 bricks in your backpack and a paid-in-full tithing slip.

I fear for your immortal soul, Brother!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 07:41PM

Hockeyrat, I love your reverse telecom idea! To me, it would be uplifting to hear a bunch of people talk about what they did with the 10% and how it so bettered their lives!

Posted by: captainklutz nli ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 08:37PM

We paid off our house last year. I never tithed, but it still felt good!

Between the tax changes and the fact that we were almost paid off, it wasnt worth the monthly payment.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 11:29AM

Congrats!

Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 12:26PM

Congratulations! You must feel amazing. Don't give paying tithing or not paying tithing any credit. As you said..."you" did it!
Also congratulations to those who bought groceries instead of paying tithing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 01:35PM

Congratulations to you, resigned and retired!

It feels good to be solvent don't it? :)

I cringe when I recall the amount of tithing I was paying while my children were babies. That was money taking away from them and their needs for the necessities.

Haven't missed paying it since we stopped attending. Somehow the blessings were there for us with or without tithing while I was a single mom for all those years. I blame it on a higher providence watching out for us. Yes we were blessed whether as LDS or life after Mormonism. Feel more blessed now because we were saved from a cult.

God needed to pull the rug out from under my feet from Mormonism to let me know he was still there for us with or without it. Before my relationship was with the cult moreso than my Creator.

I don't worship Joseph Smith anymore on the pedestal sitting on the right hand of Jesus like TSCC is so fond of describing him. Elevating him next to deity as though he were God himself. That is just plain sacrilegious.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 01:44PM

I don't think so, because LD$ Inc. requires 10% of your income, so if you do the simple math of that for 12 months, no because LD$ Inc. takes thousands.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.