Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:14AM

Mine is Silas. Got it in 1992.
http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php
Welcome to the great and spacious building! Leave your secret name at the door.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:25AM

Titus

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:31AM

That is such a better name than Silas... You have "tit" in your name. I guess I at least have "as" in my name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 12:33AM by chipace.

Date: September 26, 2018 12:38AM

It seems scarce in these name call outs. guesss it wasn't used often. I wish they'd have added Andronicus to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 12:39AM by dogblogger.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:43AM

Awesome joke!

Did you see Taymore's version with Anthony Hopkins? It's amazing what she did with that play.

Date: September 26, 2018 10:23AM

I've not. I'll have to look for it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:45PM

Titus is, to me, the least of Shakespeare's tragedies. But Traymor manages to pull true horror out of the script, showing that even on his worst days Shakespeare was awesome.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/titus-2000

Her version of the Tempest is great, too. But that one doesn't have Hopkins. . .

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:29AM

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:44AM

So I have a question...Jared is a pretty common name...If all the names on the day you went through were 'Jared', what if someone went through the endowment on the day they were giving out the 'Jared' name and their street name was in fact Jared??? It has to have happened! That would seriously give it all away, dontcha think??

Date: September 26, 2018 09:26AM

Then they get Adam.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 06:35PM

I got mine in 1977. At that time in the great wide world there were very few Jareds. A few in the Church. And it is correct they had stock name to switch to if your new name was the same as your old name.

I found out a few years ago my wife had forgotten her "new name". She's out too now. When I reminded her what it was she said "Sh_t that is boring, no wonder I forgot it.

Posted by: Nathan Longerman ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:40AM

"Big Priesthood"

When I first went through to get my own endowment, the officiator remarked that I was very well-endowed. That being the case, I inquired as to whether the ceremony would be redundant in my case. (Having previously been an art studio model and an actor in adult fine-art films, prior to my conversion, I had heard that many times before.)

The officiator said that it wouldn't hurt and asked me if I had picked up my "new name" slip on the way in. I had somehow missed that, but instead of making me go back, he just whipped out a little slip of paper and wrote something on it, saying, "in your case, a temple nickname will do."

And that's how I got the temple nickname of "Big Priesthood". I hope that, along with the secret handshakes, will be enough to get me into heaven when the time comes.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:41AM

Jian Xi.

Why the hell not? :-P

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:02AM

My ex-husband will call my new name, because he thinks he still owns me, even though I've resigned. If, in the next life, you see a 6'6", 220-pound beast of a man, with cruel, squinty eyes, and a sweaty face, screaming "MARTHA!"--run for your life!

If your new name is Martha, can you change your new name? If Big Priesthood could do it, maybe we can do it, too. Maybe the temple will hand out aliases, for a fee, of course.

I wonder if resigned and ex'ed members return, if they are given a new new name?

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 03:15AM

After the manner of Stanley screaming for Stella in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof:

https://youtu.be/6q3fBK6LbCc

Can you imagine the horrifying cacophony on the day of resurrection, when all these temple-married guys are going around like Stanley all screaming out their wives' secret names at the same time?

I hope to be comfortably ensconced on my virtual tropical island far away from that zombie apocalypse scenario.

"Stellaaa! Marthaaa! Ginaaaa!? Lorettaaaa!? Where are you~oo~oo??!! Thousands...millions...yea, even tens of millions of women's names being shouted out all at the same time. The miracle will be if any of them will be able to hear their own name in all that din. "I'm Lori, with an 'i'. Was that Melvin calling my name or was it someone calling for Laurie or Larry. Damn, it's so hard to hear with all these guys screaming!"

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 09:34AM

That left a vivid mental image that will keep me laughing all day.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:17AM

Mine is Maroni. Either captain Maroni or the last white-man Maroni... one of those two names.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:23AM

Born Adam, die Adam, meet afterlife Jesus as Adam. Maybe some badass in between. If I went through the temple and my new name was badass I might believe there is a God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 02:25AM by badam2.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 05:56AM

Olivia

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 07:30AM

Matthew

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 08:37AM

David

Which was ironic, since it's my brother's name. For the short time I was a temple-going TBM, I wondered if my brother got my name (it's a "biblical" first name)...now I don't care :)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:10AM

Victoria

Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:10AM

Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:14AM

Julia - January 1976 - D C Temple

Posted by: julianna ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:18AM

Julianna D C temple June 1977

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:29AM

The way they taught us growing up, it was supposed to be some super special name that God had given us. This was one of the things I most looked forward to. When they said Lucy, it was one of those clues that it was all bullshit. My ex and I were both struggling with whether to stay in the church or not. He was shocked and even said, "WHAT?" when I told him my name through the veil. His is Abinidi. I know, I'm not supposed to know his super special name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 10:30AM by cl2.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:31AM

Mine is Daniel, and I always thought it was odd that I got that name when I had a brother named Dan.(not Daniel). For a while, I really wanted to ask my parents, but I didn't dare.

I didn't learn until years later it was just based on the day I went through the temple the first time. (August XX 1968).

According to the chart above, neither my new name nor my former wife's name (Sena or Senah, Aug 1, 1973) are correct so I wonder if the whole thing is a farce....oh, wait.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:34AM

אַבְרָהָם

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:54AM

I wonder sometimes what my young self would have thought if I had known I was getting one of thirty names that millions would get. Nothing makes you feel like "one more brick in the wall" than that. Was the brainwashing strong enough to make me swallow even that?

If Mormons knew that they all get the same name on the same day would that help any of them wake up from the spell, or, is it only when you find out about the name thing after you are already out when it hits you even harder that you were in a cult?

Elias. That's me. I fully expect a chariot of fire so I can make a grand exit from this place when the time comes.

I'm hoping one day to have some women here divulge having been a Zippora or a Hulda. At least those weren't the garden variety names most of us got. Might even make you feel special?

I really hope my mother is a Zippora. That would be cool. I'll never know though. She's "in it to win it" and mum's the word.

Date: September 26, 2018 11:21AM

My temple prep class in 1982 talked about how the name was tied to the day you went through and that every one o that day got the same one. So it was openly discussed among Mormons.

Also that if you forgot your name the temple could tell you based on your endowment date.

Date: September 26, 2018 11:25AM

Wow. I didn't know that. I never went to a temple prep class. That was after my time. I guess they finally had to come clean about it.

Date: September 26, 2018 11:30AM

That wasn't discussed in my "temple prep class" in 1978.
In fact, no specifics were discussed at all (including the fact that we'd be getting a "new name").

The class consisted of, basically, telling us that we'd be making all sorts of covenants and promises, that we would be learning "signs and tokens" to remind us of them, and that we'd be getting our temple garments -- and that all of this would be explained IN the temple. Then it was closed by telling us how sacred all this was, with multiple admonitions to never talk about it outside of the temple.

Now, if they'd gone into specifics about secret handshakes, death-gestures showing ways I could be killed if I revealed the temple secrets, and new name stuff, I might not have gone. Which is probably why they didn't go into specifics.

Date: September 26, 2018 11:32AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, if they'd gone into specifics about secret
> handshakes, death-gestures showing ways I could be
> killed if I revealed the temple secrets, and new
> name stuff, I might not have gone. Which is
> probably why they didn't go into specifics.

My experience as well. Also I read that goddamned Packer piece "In The Holy Temple" or something.

I was still blindsided.

Date: September 26, 2018 11:43AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> I was still blindsided.

What, you didn't feel super-holy and spiritual, dressed up in funny robes and a strange hat, wearing a green apron, then making a gesture slitting your throat from ear to ear and being told that's what might happen to you if you reveal the temple secrets?

Yeah, me neither.

Does anyone know when they started the "temple prep" classes? I seem to recall they were pretty new when I did mine in late '78...

Date: September 26, 2018 11:48AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> What, you didn't feel super-holy and spiritual,
> dressed up in funny robes and a strange hat,
> wearing a green apron, then making a gesture
> slitting your throat from ear to ear and being
> told that's what might happen to you if you reveal
> the temple secrets?

I had trouble concentrating for a minute after putting on my apron. I kept imagining what it would look like if I cooked with it.

Date: September 26, 2018 11:50AM

I went in '68 and there was no temple prep class. No no one said a word. I knew nothing 'bout no new names or anything else.

Satan was still a methodist minister and had the cool apron and the best priesthoods and we still got to pretend to gut ourselves. At least I got that! Memories . . .

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 11:45AM

My temple class was a joke. I don't think they dared to reveal that you would be assigned a new name. Too secret!

Mine is Jeremiah.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 11:57AM

Timothy

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:23PM

Mine was Timothy as well. In the book of Mormon there is a Nephite named Timothy. That anachronism did give me pause while I was a TBM.

Date: September 26, 2018 03:46PM

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 11:57AM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 27, 2018 08:00AM

Another Deborah here.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 27, 2018 08:06AM

I remember the poster here years ago- went by Buttersomething.

He told the story about being in the temple expecting some kind of profound meaning and revelation when he was given his new name. Then they told him his name was Nimrod. NIMROD. He was not trilled to be known as Nimrod for all eternity.

I have always thought that was the funniest temple name ever!

(Nimrod, I hope you are doing well wherever you are.)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 01:48PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:01PM

Jacob

Although I would prefer Biggus Dickus or Incontinentia Buttox.

Date: September 26, 2018 03:49PM

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:02PM

Huldah (sp?)
January 2012.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:41PM

I got Saul the day I went through.

Posted by: Mormonenonpiu non piu ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 04:01PM

Joseph. So special!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 04:30PM

Mine is Hannah. Got it at the Atlanta temple in the very late 1980s.

I felt so thoroughly underwhelmed about the temple, after all the hype, that the only positive take-away, as I saw it, was a "new name" that was not too objectionable.

DH volunteered years ago (I didn't ask) that he no longer remembered what his "new name" was.

I thought the new names were all supposed to be either Biblical or come from the BoM. Some of the name y'all have come up with don't sound like either. I guess they can say whatever they want. Their institution, their rules.

Date: September 26, 2018 04:35PM

If I had gotten "Starlord" instead of "Abraham" maybe I would have stayed Mormon longer...

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 04:38PM

Ammon, LA Temple 1983

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 06:45PM

Naomi. It's better than Huldah or Eunice, I suppose.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 06:46PM

I actually forgot it. I need to ask the dog.

I know his but not mine.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:44PM

She's Agusta.

I'm glad she didn't reveal my secret name, Moroni. It's special, you know!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 11:20PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> She's Agusta.
>
> I'm glad she didn't reveal my secret name, Moroni.
> It's special, you know!

I almost did...

Posted by: orangejuice ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 10:38PM

Eve - I learned from this site that I got the name Eve because on the day I went through the temple, the secret name was my own. Sept 9, 1999 - Bountiful.

I really did believe I received that name because I was super special. That's what I'd been taught my entire life so, naturally, I would get the name of the most important woman in eternity, right?

As long as the church keeps telling their sheeple that they are chosen and more special and important than everyone else, they will have followers groveling to be patted on the head and reminded of their exalted position on this planet.

Date: September 27, 2018 12:38PM

LOL! They should just give every man Adam and every woman Eve. It would save so much confusion.

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 11:16PM

I don't have a secret temple.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 11:27PM

Amos, I think, haven't thought about it in several years.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: September 27, 2018 02:08PM

Mine was Luke. That wasn't bad, but my ex-wife's was Hagar. Ugh, I was disappointed at that one, lol.

I remember the first time I entered the changing room at the temple, I saw some young guy passing through--he had just finished his session--and I could see what I thought was a zig-zag scar across his forehead, like he had undergone some kind of brain surgery where they cut open his skull...I thought, "Wow, that guy must be glad to be alive but what a scar!"

When I got back after my session, by the time I took the little hat off and went to the mirror to check my hair I was shocked to see the same zig-zag scar on my own forehead! It took a minute to register what it was.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 27, 2018 02:12PM

Had I gotten to that stage of Mormonism, I'd have demanded I be given the name Eeyore or nothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.