Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notthistime ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 08:57PM

My nephew is getting married in a temple next month and NO ONE is invited into the ceremony. The reason, you ask? The bride's mom and dad and the groom's grandparents do not hold recommends. The bride's grandparents and the grooms parents all do hold recommends. So to make it fair, NO ONE is invited. I'm speechless.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 09:01PM

Too bad they didn't opt for the civil marriage.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 01:54AM

A friend of mine growing up had a temple marriage with no family. As I recall, the parents of the bride went through a very hostile divorce. The couple didn't want to deal with her family so they had a temple elopement instead. The groom also took his wife's last name, not the other way around. They've always done things their own way, but 30 years later they're still together and happy as ever.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 11:34AM

She had it in the evening. Then everyone was invited to the reception. I thought what a GOOD IDEA.

I am at peace now with my daughter's upcoming wedding. I went through all the emotional upheaval when she almost got married 3-1/2 years ago. I'm okay now. For one thing, she is marrying the right guy and I love his family. Live 3 blocks from them. His mother will be helping her in the temple. She's already done the endowment 2 years ago.

She has asked me specifically if it is okay which people she asks one at a time. I DON'T WANT TO BE IN A TEMPLE.

I said the other day--SHE IS MINE. They can pretend she is their's, but I know otherwise. For a moment or 2 she'll be in there. She's done sealings with her fiance and she said, "What's the big deal." Yes, do some sealings and you get a taste of how exciting a TW is. I'll be outside with MOST of my family--her favorite people and most loved people in her life. We'll all be outside. I'll be in pictures for her. I hate pictures anyway and I will probably maybe look at them as I really have a tough time with pictures.

I went to my boyfriend's son's wedding in September. Jewish. It was beautiful. On top of a mountain in Colorado. I got to dress up. My boyfriend and I shopped for weeks looking for dresses as I had only one that I had purchased for my daughter's previously scheduled wedding. His wedding was 3 days of celebrations. I felt so beautiful at that wedding (and his ex was so envious of me being with him although she was the one who wanted the divorce and is remarried--it was actually beyond hilarious). But I have a very pretty dress that I didn't wear to that wedding. I'm happy with how things are. (Oh, and I refuse to look at the pictures of myself, but had my boyfriend send copies to my daughter so my kids have pictures of me on different occasions after I'm dead--yes, that bad).

BUT I BELIEVE that if you believe in the lds religion, of course you are doing to get married in the temple. What a wonderful thing to do--very empathetic and caring. Go alone. I wish I had. I wish this would catch on. The perfect answer to sticking it to the leaders if you ask me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 11:37AM by cl2.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 12:01PM

It may be the one thing that gets through to TBMs about the damage that can be caused when they exclude family members from temple weddings.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 03:27PM

Posted by: notthistime ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 03:32PM

True. The couple still want everyone outside the temple for pictures. I won't be one of them.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 04:13PM

Um, excuse me, but did any of these couples ever consider having a normal family wedding, and get sealed in the temple a year later?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 04:43PM

Waiting a year would be too rational and loving. Mormon couples are THREATENED with judgments, accusations, and gossip. (Half of the Mormon marriages would not last the year, anyway.)

All of my daughter's siblings, her father and his wife, her unmarried bridesmaids and cousins; the grooms younger brothers and sisters, and the other "un-endowed ones", had to sit outside in that very crowded waiting room (the holding pen for the unworthies.) Only the groom's parents and two returned missionary friends were at the ceremony. I was the only one there, on my daughter's side, too, and it cost me several thousand dollars in tithing!

Many temple couples demand that their so-called bridesmaids and groomsmen, and family dress up for the temple photographs. I said that it was adding insult to injury, for them to wear expensive clothes in the blistering heat, and be herded about the grounds in uncomfortable shoes, standing in line to be photographed on ugly stone steps, in front of a huge, out-of-proportion, imposing closed door!

I think that photographers use the stone temple as contrast--the warmth and hope of new love juxtaposed against the cold harshness of cold, hard Mormonism.

The door was FAKE, and didn't open into anything--just like the whole religion.

If "loved ones" are going to be pulled off the street to be posed in front of a building they are banned from entering, they damned-well be "allowed" to wear STREET CLOTHES. Later, they all dressed up and enjoyed the lovely reception (which was grand, but cost less than the tithing I had to pay out).

As it was, my daughter wasn't allowed to wear her wedding dress at her temple wedding, without having it covered with long sleeves and a large bib-like dickey, and the heavy robes and smothering thick veil. The dress and her hair were a mess for the photos. The groom's family had hired the photographer, and I did not by any of the temple photos--only a few from the reception.

I told my daughter that her REAL wedding was the reception, and when they signed the legal marriage license.

Posted by: BAIIPLUS ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 03:15AM

I did this because we weren't "worthy". We got married and in a chapel and the bishop had a look on his face like he had been asked to take bags of vomit to the dump.

Other than that it was great.

Posted by: Historian ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 09:18PM

you have a nephew who could care less about family.....

a selfish brat...

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 11:59AM

I disagree. It is the Mormon church that cares little for family despite their lip service. And I think this is a great solution. Let the TM's deal with exclusion for a change. Maybe it will help nudge some needed change in the church's cruel wedding rules.

Posted by: HikergrlAZ ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 10:22AM

I love it! Money doesn't buy a front row seat in this case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.