Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 08:04AM

He would be interested in a high court decision made in New Zealand about missionary donations and tax deductions.

I dont think he was being sensible trying to have Monson brought to a criminal trial in the UK.Many of his allegations were applicable to many different religions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 08:34AM

IMO his actions were directly responsible for the Mormon church publishing the essays. In my opinion the church was trying (at least in part) to avoid charges of fraud.

Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 09:57AM

i dont think charges of fraud could be brought without considering if many different groups could be charged with fraud.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 10:03AM

There may be many small battles before a war is won. Tom showed the courage of his convictions. He made an important impact. He lit up some dark corners. I find all of that sensible and admirable. And worthwhile.

There is more than one way to cook a chicken.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 11:22AM

The criminal case is the right way to go. Of the 7 allegations they could be reduced to the ones specifically on Mormonism.

Where it went wrong was in underestimating the ability of the church to lie, commit perjury and ultimately to bribe a judge.

I should have appealed the decision and would have been successful. Just did not have the resources to counter the bottomless pit of money for legal fees that the church had.

Statute of limitations does not apply, therefore can be instituted again, in a reformed manner. Also, the 'bribed' judge has since retired. The current one is far more reasonable and likely to follow the law.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 12:15PM

Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 05:17PM

You've got evidence of bribery? That's great!

You seem to know exactly what they're going to do, before they ever do it. I do believe you're the one destined to take them down.

Let's get on this bribery and perjury thing right away. No excuses.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 01:32PM

Easy to sit back and second guess isn't it.

Thanks Tom

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 01:39PM

One of the greatest things about being ex-mormon is the freedom to do what you think is best for you.

Kudos, Tom, for following your conscience

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 02:06PM

LDS Inc. is full of lawyers and there is no end to how long they can delay or get things in their favor on the next court case. Some battles are just left alone once defeated not be a better argument but shrewd tactics.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 02:22PM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LDS Inc. is full of lawyers and there is no end to
> how long they can delay or get things in their
> favor on the next court case.

Before YBU had a law school, they could have directed their resources to a medical school or some other discipline instead.

Coincidence that they're 'full of lawyers'? Nope.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 06:41PM

A confidence game requires legal confidence men these latter days.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 10:32PM

Strange bedfellows. It doesn’t bode well for the legal profession, but if you wait long enough BYU law school will screw up badly enough to lose its accreditation.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 09:47PM

One of the most holy and sacred doctrines of our beloved wondrous Gospel is D&C 77:6 where it spells out that the temporal existence of the earth shall be 7000 years total. Tom Phillips has failed to demonstrate unwavering super strong belief in this holy sacred doctrine and thus thanks to how the beloved Correlation program has sacredly groomed me to think I must consider him to be a man of exceedingly great wickedness. Whenever I peruse the Church's super detailed and up to date statistical and financial reports online I am reminded of who is correct and who is delusional about all this. Of course we claim the Church to be true based on how true, i.e. honest and transparent, it really is :)

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 10:03PM

What were the issues with the missionary donations and tax deductions? England has different laws than America, But the church released it's income statements for Britain and Canada which I learned from Quinns research in mormon hierarchy and corporate power. there isn't a profit from church investments in England. In fact they are losing money. So no taxes. It's a business loss.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.