Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 03:54PM

The Mormons killed near the US-Mexico border appear to be members of a fundamentalist sect that is separate from the mainstream Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

CNN reached out to LDS-Church spokesperson. Here's what he said:

“This does sound like a terrible and tragic thing. Unfortunately, I don’t have any information, as from what I can tell, these were members of a polygamist sect, and not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/mormon-attack-us-mexico-border/h_655bf6cf5bf7bcd4bc12b932b76dbe8a

IOW, just to be clear, the important thing here is not that 9 women and children just got mowed down in cold blood, it's that we don't want anybody calling us "MORmONs", AND we don't want anybody else called "MORmONs" either! Those polygamists have nothing whatsoever to do with us and are better off dead!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 04:08PM

I do not see their statement as suggesting any such callous disregard for those killed. They admit it is a "terrible and tragic thing" and then go on to say that because they are not members they don't have any information on them. I just don't read into it what you apparently do.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 04:34PM

I read something in-between into it.

I think they are sincere about it being tragic and terrible.

But...

I also think the saying they "don't have any information" seemed contrived and used as a way to let everyone know they AREN'T US.

Even if the victims were members of the "correct" version of Mormons, why would the church PR be the source of information? Who asked them, anyway? They are not law enforcement.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 07:06PM

>> "I also think the saying they "don't have any information" seemed contrived and used as a way to let everyone know they AREN'T US."

I agree. Mainstream (SLC) mormonism is wacko. The offshoot mormons are just as wacko, some even more. The mainstream mormons work very hard at not being confused with the offshoot mormons, who they see as wacko.

The general public probably wouldn't make the distinction, so the church always does.

Definitely "they aren't us" is what they are saying.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 06:52PM

The Mormon church only cares about their image, they made sure the media doesn't mix them up with the Mormons that practice the old time Mormonism. the mo's killed practice true Mormonism. I find it funny that the Mormon church is having a hissy fit with this with the media.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 05, 2019 09:42PM

Maybe, just MAYBE we here in the U.S. should give safe haven & allow these people to practice their beliefs here.

(Yes, I mean that)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.