Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 24, 2021 11:55PM

I just saw several news videos about the rainstorm.

I've spent a whole lot of time in northern California during my life (my grandparents lived in the Yuba City/Marysville area for most of my growing up and young adulthood years, and I worked at Cal Berkeley for about a year once upon a time), so this storm feels personal to me.

In SoCal, we are expecting "our" part of the storm to arrive sometime tomorrow.

Stay safe, stay as dry as you can, avoid the landslides and electrical wires, and please don't take unnecessary risks on the roads and highways. (On the news videos, I saw several instances of what appeared to be hotdogging on the flooded roads!!!)

We care.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 25, 2021 12:35AM

Thank you, Tevai.

Good luck to you all in So Cal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2021 12:41AM by kathleen.

Date: October 25, 2021 12:40AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you, Tevai.

:D

And thank YOU for the good wishes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2021 12:44AM by Tevai.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 25, 2021 12:38AM

Did you feel the earthquake in LA this morning?

Date: October 25, 2021 12:41AM

[|] Wrote:
> Did you feel the earthquake in LA this morning?

Not in the San Fernando Valley.

Where was the epicenter?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 25, 2021 12:45AM

Central LA

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-10-24/magnitude-3-9-earthquake-reported-near-los-angeles

"A magnitude 3.6 earthquake was reported Sunday at 7:01 a.m. less than a mile from downtown Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake occurred less than a mile from Commerce, less than a mile from East Los Angeles, one mile from Maywood and one mile from Bell."

Date: October 25, 2021 01:02AM

Ahhhhh...that's "over the mountain" to me!

(But still very much in "my town, Angeltown.")

However, forget the Santa Monica mountains, because "less than a mile from downtown L.A." feels kind of scary from a native Angelino's point of view.

I'm glad the quake didn't exceed 3.6 because THAT side of the "mountain" has an intense concentration of high-rises, in addition to a great number of houses built from the 1800s-1950s, which means that construction strengths of those buildings can be really iffy.

Thank you, [|]!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 09:41AM

My Mom lost a plum tree. Lots of wind and her utility company (the one accused of negligently starting fires in CA) turned off the power for 12 hours during the storm. Thankfully, no pine trees were toppled.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 01:56PM

In a major drought - and now you complain about too much rain and even snow.

You guys would whine if hanged using a silk rope.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 02:07PM

It doesn't sound to me like anyone is complaining, just checking on each other

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 02:30PM

California has been suffering from weather extremes and you're bashing people for checking in? Was that really necessary?

Date: October 26, 2021 03:02PM

Boyd KKK Wrote:
> In a major drought - and now you complain about
> too much rain and even snow.
>
> You guys would whine if hanged using a silk rope.

No one is complaining, and no one is whining.

We need every water molecule we can get (whether in the form of rain or of snow), but if rain and snow come in faster, and in initially more quantity, than our infrastructure can accommodate safely, then the new immediate problem becomes dealing with floods and icy roads, highways, and bridges/overpasses.

If you haven't grown up in "desert country" (much of California is, geologically, "irrigated desert"), then you probably don't know that the actual earth which is being rained on cannot immediately accommodate that rain. The earlier part of the rain/snow storm has to have time to deeply "sink into" the soil--and if that "sinking in" process does not happen, floods which can kill and destroy are almost certain to follow.

In our case we Californians have been been dealing with drought (either "none," or not sufficient, rainfall for several years), so the soil had solidified to some extent, which means that absorbing the new rainfall became either radically slowed down, or actually nonexistent in some places due to the fires, etc.

Prior to this storm, California had been in a particularly severe drought situation because of the wildfires (some of which were still burning as the storm began; I think the news said some of them are still burning right now).

As everyone is being warned: if you are in an area which either had a wildfire, or where a wildfire was/is still burning, you have to be aware--as you are driving from Point A to Point B--that the hillsides and mountainsides around you can collapse onto you and your vehicle at almost any given moment--meaning: you, and whoever is with you, is very likely to die under those millions of pounds of cascading rock and soil.

The opposite extreme is having the roads you use and depend on, and the buildings you call home or seek safety in, flood to the extent that you can no longer use them, either safely or at all.

Saving your own life, the lives of those you love and care for, and the lives of your fellow Californians around you, is serious business in these circumstances.

If you were here among us, I doubt you would think of yourself as complaining or whining, because you would, instead, be busy trying to figure out how to best save your own life and the lives of those (includes both pets and other animals) physically around you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 03:14PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 01:54AM

It's not the material of which the rope is made that has me worried: it's the hanging.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 02:42PM

Am I right in thinking Don Bagley is North California? Stay safe everyone.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 01:40AM

I think Don Bagley is somewhere in the northern third of CA. I'm from way down near the border, so anything north of Los Angeles is foreign territory to me. Also, I left CA in 1975, and have not lived there since then.

Y'all, stay safe. We are feeling some very cold winds here in mid-NM.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 03:40AM

Yes, I live in Rocklin, which is just twenty miles northeast of Sacramento. All is well here. A little street flooding is all we got. I would love more rain!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2021 03:41AM by donbagley.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 03:15PM

I think he (BKKK) was making joke. Lame, but still, nobody appears to be hurt, it’s ok to relax.

The good news, nobody was hurt.
The bad news, they’re still in northern California.

See. Joke. Also lame. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2021 03:16PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: October 26, 2021 03:21PM

"Making a joke" never occurred to me.

Thank you for pointing this out, BOJ.

:)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 26, 2021 05:28PM

Saw the video from BC and it was nasty but less severe there than expected in some places. Hope everyone on the west coast comes through this OK. I know water is needed mostly everywhere in Western N America. We can use all the snow and rain we can get here this winter.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 27, 2021 10:45AM

My son’s Patriarchal Blessing says he can control the weather. I can always tell when he’s mad at us—-he floods our basement.

Date: October 27, 2021 12:22PM

kathleen Wrote:
> My son’s Patriarchal Blessing says he can
> control the weather. I can always tell when
> he’s mad at us—-he floods our basement.

:D

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 27, 2021 10:08PM

Wow...lucky him! I didn't get any special powers in mine. Damn!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 27, 2021 10:18PM

One of the problems of a heavy rain this time of year is that the leaves are falling. Clean the gutters on your house and keep your storm drains in the street clear folks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2021 03:26AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 04:59PM

We got about 1.6" in beautiful Upper Ojai, and the tarps kept things dry! Tender mercies and all that crap... :-)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 29, 2021 06:36PM

This is the second mention in two days of the Mormonism: tender mercies.

I was curious so I looked it up.

Tender Mercies

The movie:

https://www.fandango.com › tender-mercies-69009 › c...

“Divorced country singer (Robert Duvall) stops drinking for loving widow (Tess Harper).”

Wiki:

“Tender Mercies is a 1983 American drama film directed by Bruce Beresford. The screenplay by Horton Foote focuses on Mac Sledge, a recovering alcoholic country music singer who seeks to turn his life around through his relationship with a young widow and her son in rural Texas.”

Review:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086423/

“Description: A broken-down, middle-aged country singer gets a new wife, reaches out to his long-lost daughter, and tries to put his troubled life back together.”

The agency (in Ohio):

https://www.tendermerciesinc.org/

“Tender Mercies exists to serve the vulnerable and abandoned. Our residents have lived on the streets while trying to cope with mental illness. We provide a home where individuals can live safely with dignity.

“Tender Mercies transforms the lives of homeless adults with mental illness by providing security, dignity, and community in a place they call home.”

Scriptures:

1Nephi 1:20: “But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.”

Psalm 25:6: “Remember, O Lord, they tender mercies and they lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.

Roget’s Thesaurus:

“synonyms for tender mercies”:

“kick in the teeth”; “no pity”; “no quarter”; “pitilessness”; “small portion”; “unsympathetic treatment”

NG: Somebody must have become confused. These sound like antonyms to me, not synonyms. But funny (in an appalling way) when you think of Mormonism’s “tender mercies”.

It gave me a laugh to think of the movie Tender Mercies, a divorced alcoholic guy, with a "troubled life" being the main character. Three things Mormons don't approve of: divorce, booze and trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2021 06:36PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 29, 2021 08:00PM

Tevai Wrote:
> We care.

Yes, we do. We just got through a tough summer around and about and now we're heading into winter challenges.

Be careful out there everybody, everywhere!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2021 08:01PM by Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.