Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 01:38PM

I don't know why people criticize him. He could have stayed in tscc and directed and promoted an MLM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2022 01:39PM by auntsukey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 02:09PM

I asked him once before he got excommunicated why he doesn't just quit if he knows it's not true? He explained that his whole family was Mormon and he grew up Mormon and it was his 'tribe'. I told him I could relate, because I was once a 5th Generation Mormon too, but once I started to realize the impact it would have on my kids if I didn't take a stand against the abusive CULT, that no longer mattered. What matters is integrity in the eyes of my children and their children. What matters is that I do not look the other way as people I know and love are exploited by the lies of this money grubbing abusive CULT.
He didn't see it that way.
Until they abused him by excommunicating him for daring to speak against the abusive CULT's abuse of gays.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 06:09PM

But the important question is, did you give him some money?

Date: March 15, 2022 06:40PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the important question is, did you give him
> some money?

No. I don’t give money to people trying to make a buck off of religion.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 15, 2022 06:59PM

Yes, you do.

You give your time, money, and media consumption to Sam Harris and many others who earn their living from religion.

Date: March 15, 2022 07:03PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, you do.
>
> You give your time, money, and media consumption
> to Sam Harris and many others who earn their
> living from religion.

I’ve never given Sam a dime, except for buying his books, some of which were a condemnation of religious violence, which were much needed in response to 9-11.

Date: March 15, 2022 07:11PM

> I’ve never given Sam a dime, except for buying
> his books. . .

Yep. That's what I said.

Date: March 15, 2022 07:42PM

You still can’t name a better response to 9-11 than End of Faith.

Date: March 15, 2022 07:44PM

Non sequitur.

But good try.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 17, 2022 01:39AM

Is that a gift?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 12, 2022 06:16PM

Auuuu--put your money where your mouth is.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: March 15, 2022 05:32PM

I have a unique reaction to John Dehlin simply because he bears such a strong resemblance to Paul K. Dehlin, JD's great uncle and my next store neighbor, a hardworking store keeper who was a devout Mormon, but did not have much time for philosophical discussions. He believed what he believed and that was it.

Paul Dehlin was a very good man, who made a huge difference in my life, not so much by what he said, as by what he did. I came from a family of nine children, raised in a house with one bathroom and no driveway. As we grew into teens, we used his store parking lot to park up to four family cars. How he put up with us, I'll never know. But he not only put up with us, he loved us, with a love like a father. I wish my father had loved me with a love like a father, but he didn't.

We used to have Family Home Evening at PKD's house, since our father had been ex'd and really wasn't into FHE. I got to know PKD very well. He was a good man, a caring man, and a very very patient man. He loved to tell stories about his mission to Hawaii, and I loved to listen to them.

And now I see PKD's image every time I watch a John Dehlin interview on YouTube. Even PKD's own children didn't look as much like him as John does. It's kind of jarring.

Yup, there is something about JD that rubs me the wrong way, though it might just be the resemblance he bears to his great uncle.

He does a good job at recording and preserving Mormon Stories, which I think is a Good Thing.

As far as how much money he makes, that is none of my business.

I just wish PKD had done better with his store. He was a good man and he deserved much better than what life handed him.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 15, 2022 07:35PM

People bitch to bitch. It’s the same people and they bitch for years.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 17, 2022 01:43AM

They do bitch. But when episode no. 1 came out everyone knew John had hit the jackpot and was going to be a famous & wealthy man. After that first podcast it was a piece of cake. Plug in a microphone for a quick interview. The guy barely worked part time on a sure winner. Lazy chump.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 18, 2022 09:48AM

Sounds like easy money! Let's all start podcasts and get rich.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.