Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 12:04PM

Sam Young, Kate Kelly, Natasha Helfer Parker have gotten excommunicated. Michael Adam Davis, a registered sex offender from Utah was convicted and incarcerated on 5/13/2022 for sexually abusing another young man whom he met at the LDS Church in Kasson, Minnesota while serving as the Elders Quorum President there. Why is he still a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and still listed in the membership directory?
Why has he not been excommunicated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNPL6SaKhU

My own aunt got excommunicated for getting pregnant out of wedlock at BYU at age 19. But this man who is in prison he is still a member! I thought the stake president was the judge in Israel or something like that he was supposed to hold his church pure?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 12:13PM

It used to be that a felony conviction was an automatic excommunication. Handbook might spell it out better.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 02:24PM

I don’t think that a felony conviction was ever grounds for automatic excommunication. It certainly wasn’t in practice. Back in the late 70s/early 80s, a couple of prominent members of my ward were sent to prison (one was the current bishop). Their crimes were money related (for one it was grand theft, the other it was tax evasion), but they were definitely felonies. Neither was excommunicated.

I had a couple of callings in the 80s that required me to be issued a Church HOI. I think the only reasons for automatic excommunication back then was polygamy, apostasy, and “gross iniquity” (whatever that means).

Of course, the handbook of instructions is online now, so it would be easy to check.

Date: July 26, 2022 12:15PM

So my aunt got excommunicated and kicked out of BYU for getting pregnant out of wedlock. She lost the money for the semester that she missed. The power of discernment must have shown the priesthood how dangerous my pregnant aunt was yet how that pedophile had repented? This is pure craziness!

Anyway I have mailed a letter to the lds branch in Kasson, Minnesota asking them to please excommunicate Michael Adam Davis. Will a letter from a random woman in Texas help? A daughter of perdition? I don't know why this upsets me so much I have never even been to Minnesota in my entire life. I have resigned my lds membership 9 years ago. Yet I am fuming again! Sorry for ranting yet again! Mormonism is so upsetting!

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:41PM

Will a letter from a random woman in Texas help?

No. They don't care about your opinion. It will be reason or skimmed and then thrown away and forgotten.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:57PM

My suggestion is to watch listen to Kolby and Cami Reddish "Mormon Stories" podcast. Basically, they also wanted a Pedophile removed from teaching children or being around, etc... This happened in ID so it was Mormon country where the obligation was to protect the Church at all costs

Date: July 26, 2022 04:44PM

I will watch the episode.Thank you.

Date: July 30, 2022 02:00PM

I have watched Kolby and Cami Reddish "Mormon Stories" podcast. Kolby and Cami won an uphill battle! Without Kolby and Cami nothing would have happened to bring awareness of what ex bishop had done.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 12:49PM

You would do better mailing letters to TV, Radio, Newspapers and such asking why a sex offender appears to still be a good member of the local Mormon church.

Date: July 30, 2022 01:54PM

Thanks. I have emailed TV. Let's see if he will get excommunicated. The case is quite public, Mormonism can not sweep it under the rug.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 12:23PM

I'm sorry. I understand the rage at the injustice. I've felt it. Realizing there is nothing righteous and good in LDS other than some of the people has helped me.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:11PM

2 things that kill justice just about anywhere in the world are;
1.politics
2.PR

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:37PM

You won't hve to worry about being exxed.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:46PM

I think your aunt and her child dodged a big one.

They ended up winning.

Date: July 26, 2022 03:46PM

My aunt got re baptized and she had all her children baptized when they turned 8 years old. Now she is over 60 and very active LDS.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 03:59PM

And she probably STILL feel guilty about it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 04:04PM

And thus the guilt, however unfairly inflicted, increases the member's commitment to the cult.

Date: July 26, 2022 04:47PM

My aunt is extremely LDS. She goes to the temple very often she even volunteers to clean the temple.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 06:38PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My aunt got re baptized and she had all her
> children baptized when they turned 8 years old.
> Now she is over 60 and very active LDS.

Hot damn…

Can’t win for losing…

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 02:00PM

No, a random letter from some woman in Texas is not going to help. And I think PHIL is right, a felony conviction is an automatic exing, unless the rules have changed. I’m out of the loop on current rules.

How do you know he wasn’t excommunicated, or that it isn’t in process? He was only convicted two months ago. It may take a while to schedule a meeting of the entire stake High Council, and then it has to be mailed to SLC and yada yada. Once that is done, the ward directory is not going to reflect the excommunication until a new directory is issued.

And even if he is not in the new ward directory, that wouldn’t actually prove he was exed. The prison might be in a different ward boundary. I know the Utah state prison has its own LDS branch.

Seems like you are making a lot of assumptions on pretty thin evidence, unless you have direct communication from LDS Inc (ward, stake, or SLC) that he is still a member.

Date: July 26, 2022 03:34PM

I have a screenshot of the ward directory where he is listed.

Date: July 26, 2022 03:53PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
---------------------------------
> And even if he is not in the new ward directory,
> that wouldn’t actually prove he was exed. The
> prison might be in a different ward boundary. I
> know the Utah state prison has its own LDS branch.
>
>
> Seems like you are making a lot of assumptions on
> pretty thin evidence, unless you have direct
> communication from LDS Inc (ward, stake, or SLC)
> that he is still a member.

Brother of Jerry, how can I find out if he was excommunicated? If being on the ward directory doesn't mean anything than how could I find out? No I don't trust the lds church to just automatically excommunicate him because he is in prison.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 10:47PM

If he is still in the ward directory a year from now, it is safe to assume he is likely still Mormon. That he is still in the directory two months after being convicted could just mean they haven't released an updated directory yet.

Date: July 27, 2022 10:14AM

That requires an active LDS member who is part of that ward to keep track of him and check the ward directory a year later. Hmmm and what if the pedophiles prison is in different wards boundaries? Than his membership record would go to the other ward right? Basically there is no way of proving if he ever has gotten an annotation on his membership record or if he has gotten excommunicated. All will be pure speculations.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 08:45PM

"a felony conviction is an automatic exing"

Only a conviction. Nephi was never convicted for killing Laban even though he confessed, but I've never read the Book of Zelph.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 04:34PM

I don't know what it takes to be excommunicated from LDS Inc these days. I knew three RM priesthood holding men who were excommunicated for consensual pre-marital sex. Two were still on their missions and one hadn't been home for long. One killed himself because of the shame of being excommunicated. A married man in my ward was excommunicated for having an affair. A bishop in my stake was excommunicated for having an affair with a woman he was counseling because she was having an affair. This all happened over 20 years ago.

My exmo BFF's returned missionary, priesthood holding, tithing paying active Mormon ex-boyfriend, who was having premarital sex with her and several never-mo live-in girlfriends for the last 30 years, finally decided he was ready to settle down and marry in the temple. He recently (this year) talked to the bishop about his past sexual transgressions. The bishop gave him a temple recommend. He didn't face any disciplinary action. No probationary period or reading The Miracle of Forgiveness. He was absolved of all sexual transgressions and free to marry for all time and eternity in the temple just two weeks later. He made seven figures and paid six figures in tithing and otherwise kept most of the commandments so I guess that helped.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 04:48PM

It’s not like he WANTED to have sex . . .

Women are tricky, so men cut other men some slack and ghawd apparently approves.

Date: July 26, 2022 05:51PM

An angel with a flaming sword had commanded Joseph Smith to do polygamy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 06:24PM

A text message would have sufficed with me . . .

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 04:41AM

I knew an elder at the MTC who had NO BUSINESS serving a church mission. He bragged about sexually assaulting his ex GF- he literally ripped off her blouse and groped her breasts. Part of his restitution was to serve an LDS mission and not go to jail.

He later assaulted one of the MTC teachers by grabbing her and lifting her off her feet. He bear-hugged her and bounced her on his lap. Nice, eh?

And he stayed to serve and those of us who pursued justice were told to forget it-actually threatened to be sent home which would have led to me being kicked out of home. That's how the church rolls on sexual misconduct.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 10:34PM

Interesting discussion, seems gallant efforts to reason out the logical underpinnings of decisions to boot/not boot because observed results follow no consistent discernible pattern.

Put yourself as the corporation. There is one question only to answer:
"What is in my interest."
Not: what is just, humane, reasonable, in the best interests of the member, etc.
So:
A conviction means hazard of association.
Someone with an independent thought who speaks about it risks spreading thinking.
Boot and "the rest of you, see what will happen to you if you think - now, pay and obey."

Pure self-interest.
Now it makes sense.

This outfit doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.
It's all pretend. It's a money-grubbing corporation fronting as a fake religion.
Not ever worth getting wrapped.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 04:30AM

Excommunication is not automatic and church discipline left to the discretion of ph leaders, mainly the SP with some input of bishop.

Was clerk when two twentysomething brothers decided to steal dynamite from the railroad and make bombs. They attempted to blow up a highway overpass and bomb the local credit union. These clods also decided to have a shoot out with arresting officers, thank god that they had the same aim as the A-team and hit nobody/nothing.

Both were sent to serve years in prison and not jail. One was exxed and the other was disfellowshipped. Apparently, the church did not want to break the father's heart that both of his sons were out of the church. I think the dad was hoping one would get paroled to get called to serve a church mission.

And it's the inconsistency on how church leaders handle discipline that is frustrating.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 07:55AM

That inconsistency is sometimes referred to as “bishop roulette.” I’ve seen a couple of examples with people I know.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 07:17PM

There also seems to be a tie to how much money a person pays in. They don't want to piss off good customers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.