Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 05:05PM

Then why is there no empirical evidence to support the claim? It is all based on supposition, superstition,and wishful thinking.
Even with Jesus of Nazareth there is no unchallengable evidence to support the claim of ressurection.
When you are here you are here. When you are not you are not. So live every day as if it were your last chance to make better the life of another human being.
So much for my words of wisdom today

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 05:20PM

If you're starting a religion to get laid, you will have to try harder.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 05:27PM

There's no empirical evidence for many things, was there an actual Roman Empire or did aliens just drop buildings around Europe to confuse us...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 05:42PM

Maca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . was there an actual Roman Empire or did aliens just
> drop buildings around Europe to confuse us...

Wow. That's one of the most rational scenarios you've ever posted on RfM.

You're making progress!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 05:29PM

I’m not aware of any credible evidence for life after death. I’m convinced that when we die, that’s it-end of story.

The only problem with my position is that if I’m right, I won’t be able to say “I told you so” to anyone who believed in an afterlife.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 06:42PM

Disclaimer: I believe in an afterlife. I don't think that belief needs to be rooted in belief of God, Jesus, or any particular religion.

I would make the argument that as humans, we can't even perceive everything in the physical universe. We can't see every color, nor hear every sound. Our perceptions are based on a narrow range of input. So I don't think that having other things that exist, but are unseen, is such a stretch.

We also know only a fraction of how the universe works. It is possible that an afterlife realm that is currently unseen might fall into the laws of physics.

Some people believe that the afterlife is on a different vibrational level. The argument is that just because you can't see individual blades when a helicopter's rotors are spinning doesn't mean the individual blades aren't there. If you slow down the spin enough, you can see them. Perhaps we can't normally see people who have died because they are on a different vibrational plane.

I realize that none of this constitutes proof, and that's fine. I still claim the afterlife as a belief.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 09:13PM

My wife had an NDE and spent what seemed like hours in a hyper-beautiful paradise while being dead for only a couple of minutes. She saw lots of people dressed in white, as she would have been conditioned to see.

NDE subjects tend to see what they believe in, usually what their religions teach them.

If a place that fabulous exists if you believe in it, that's a good reason to believe. Maybe we are creatures of belief. Belief is what makes us real, a sort of magic that is exemplified in Pinocchio becoming a real boy.

I do worry about the popularity of religion. Popularity means appealing to the lowest common denominator. What good is a religion that is dumbed down to the max? The brain-dead should be saved, but don't they already kind of get a free pass?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 10:32PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Popularity means appealing to the lowest common
> denominator.

This is not necessarily true nor the best definition of popularity.

There are many reasons a person participates in some form of religion. Intellect may or may not be a major factor.

I don't think "brain dead" is a fair conclusion either.

But we're all just stating our opinions here.

I guess we'll find out someday. Or not...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 10:00PM

“If only I had the faith the size of a mustard seed instead of my doubts the size of an avocado pit.”

--Judic West, author of “Holy Molē, it’s Guacamolē!”

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 10:09PM

"Torus, torus, torus: I saw that movie!"

--Jesus Marin, Quartermaster General, Camp Jejune

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 10:13PM

In my sparse recollection, GAs have only said that 'temple work' will be the main deal in the CK, no word on the 'lower kingdoms'- Sheesh!

Posted by: botchan ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 12:01AM

I want a ten second afterlife. When I die, I would like to find myself in a small, tastefully decorated room, with a wooden table in the center. On the table would be a sign that says, “Yes, you are dead. This is the end. There is nothing beyond.”

There would then be five or so seconds to grasp the meaning, and then everything would fade to nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 02:16AM by botchan.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 01:13AM

I'm pretty sure that there is no after-existence-life. A while after my wife passed away I had to open her purse and dispose of her credit cards. That purse was sacred property and nobody, nobody, was allowed to touch it.

Then, there was the top drawer of her dresser. If there was an after-existence, my hands and fingers would have been maimed for life.

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 01:33AM

A lot of religions believe in a veil, or a flatlander type of thinking. That is, that you wouldn't be able to use knowledge from this world to get to another world, because the two worlds are not compatible with each other and are made of different substances or dimensions.

But they still create religions that only follow that idea when convenient.

I say that if there's a heaven, nobody will be able to communicate anything about it to anyone else. No god would use some people to tell other people about his existence because people are too susceptible to corruption and dishonesty to be relied on to do such a thing. Furthermore, people would attempt to use any knowledge of a heaven as ransom to manipulate others. I can see why a god would completely fool everyone into not being able to use empiricism to find him because humans corrupt everything they come in contact with. If I happen to believe in a god, I'd keep it completely to myself, even if I outwardly advertise myself as an apatheist, because my testimony simply is moot.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 02:37AM

ChurchCo pretends they have a lock on a lot of things, chiefly the hereafter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 02:43AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 05:12AM

Nobody knows what happens after you go tits up. We would like to think the assholes are going to get the punishment they avoided while alive so we created Hell to make us feel better. We certainly hope there’s more to our existence than this life. If you are fortunate to have become rich you realize it’s not as great as you thought it would be. It’s just different problems and in most cases less freedom so you get depressed and hope there is a care free heaven in the next life because this life is disappointing.

Posted by: Roadblock ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 06:04AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 12:07PM

Which perfectly explains observed ghostly behaviors!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 11, 2022 05:47PM

I wanna stay right here. I love this place.

If I end up in charge, I’ll protect farm land from housing and strip malls, and make sure everyone gets enough to eat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.