Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 06:57AM

He is our second pooch to have canine lymphoma. We were going to let nature take its course, as he's about 13 or 14 years old, but he simply isn't ready for the Rainbow Bridge yet. Lymphoma is supposedly very responsive to chemo, especially the kind he has-- B Cell. And in just a few months, he will be celebrating his 10th anniversary with us.

Our other dog, Zane, who had lymphoma in 2019, died only a week after he was diagnosed, and just shy of that ten year anniversary. Zane was not as healthy or strong as Arran is, though, and his lymphoma was clearly much more aggressive.

So, partly in Zane's memory, we're going to give treating this a shot. This is the first time we've been able to actually try to treat canine cancer in one of our dogs. The others have had cancers that defied treatment.

Wish us luck, if you are so inclined. I even made a new music video, although this one isn't yet for Arran, as I hope he's going to run out the clock. He has a very special relationship with my husband, and I think he will keep fighting until he just can't anymore. He's a real scrapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcH0NIl44PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 10:10AM

So sad to hear this. Good luck, Knotty and, of course, Arran.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 10:10AM by Soft Machine.

Date: October 13, 2022 10:40AM

Thanks!

We just finished the treatment. So far, so good.

I'm actually not that sad about this. We've had six rescue dogs so far... seven if you count the one who escaped before we could even pet him. One died of a really rare and nasty mycobacterial infection. One died of prostate cancer. One had a very aggressive and malignant spinal tumor. And then there's Zane, who also had lymphoma, but was too sick to treat.

At least Arran can be treated. We'll see how it goes. If he lasts until January, so we can celebrate ten years with him, I will be thrilled.

For now, my goal is to get him through next week, when my husband won't have to travel for work and can be with us when it's time to say goodbye. I think he will make it that long.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 10:56AM

Your caring touches me deeply. Go Aran!

My dogs are my children and I would do anything for them.

Date: October 13, 2022 10:59AM

Yes, my dogs are my babies, too. I never had kids, so my dogs get all of my maternal instincts lavished on them. ;)

My sister invited us to her North Carolina home for Christmas, but I turned her down because if Arran is still with us, he'll still be on chemo, and I don't want to board him again. Besides, my dogs have been much more loving, accepting, and loyal than my family ever was...

Also, my BIL is politically opposed to me and enjoys watching my sisters fight amongst themselves. Who wants to sit on a plane for eight plus hours for that? Bwahahahaa!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 11:01AM

I'm sorry to hear this. I know you love your dog. I hope you will sing to him! May the chemo be effective.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 12:43PM

Sorry for Arran, it's tough to go through cancer with a loved friend.

It sounds like he is getting the best care.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 02:17PM

Our vet will make her final house call for our cat Thor, next Tuesday. The entire family, six of us, will be present. The vet will take Thor with her, and sometime this winter my oldest son and I will scatter her ashes in the farm woods we bought.

That son rescued Thor from a problem situation twelve years ago. A little spirituality: my wife has always had allergic reactions to dander, but prayer was answered when Thor came in and there were no health complications. Thor is a perfect indoor cat, never attempted escape, even when doors were left open, and had the run of a nice old place with lots of strange places to explore and hide. And she's been cared for diligently and spoiled silly.

"Thor," you ask? She was incorrectly sexed male, but we kept the name. Thor never seemed to mind.

Date: October 13, 2022 02:28PM

Aww.. Thor sounds lovely! I’m sorry her journey is coming to an end, but it sounds like you gave her a great life. You will be giving her a fine send off, too.

My husband is very allergic to cats. Otherwise, I would love to have one myself.

Arran is done with his treatment. He has a touch of anemia, but handled the treatment fine. He wanted kibble when we got home, but is now resting.

I am a realist, and am not expecting him to live a super long time, mainly because he’s already an old guy. But, he has proven to be a real fighter, and has even bitched out Noyzi, our Kosovar street dog tonight. I absolutely hate this part of loving animals, but as Queen Elizabeth II said, “grief is the price we pay for loving.” We have loved having Arran, so we’re going to do our best for him for as long as he tells us he wants to live.

Anyway, to a dog, even a month is a significant length of time. So we’ll see what happens.

Date: October 13, 2022 02:55PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I absolutely hate this part of
> loving animals, but as Queen Elizabeth II said,
> “grief is the price we pay for loving.”

That is so precious! Thanks you deeply--I'll share it with my family.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 07:27PM

He'll let you know when he's ready. My cat did just a couple of months ago.

I'm glad that the treatment went well. I'm sending him a big hug. <3

Posted by: skp ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 06:49PM

Would it make me a ninny if I teared up reading your first paragraph?

I guess I'm a little sensitive to the topic right now since my dad passed away a year ago this month. The thought of the whole family gathering to mourn a loved one and then scattering their ashes is particularly moving to me right now.

Date: October 13, 2022 06:59PM

Date: October 13, 2022 06:32PM

How are you feeling about all of this? Sad? Apprehensive? Hopeful? Some other feeling?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 06:33PM by skp.

Date: October 13, 2022 07:26PM

I have so many feelings. Arran is a very special and unusually resilient dog. We got him on January 12, 2012, less than a month after we lost his predecessor, MacGregor, to a spinal tumor. My husband was very close to MacGregor, so he was especially emotional when we brought Arran (named after a Scottish island) home. Somehow, Arran knew, and he immediately bonded with him. We both think MacGregor “sent” us Arran somehow.

Arran also helped us make three new friends, involved with the rescue who adopted him to us. To this day, we’re still in touch.

It hasn’t always been easy with Arran. He never got 100% housetrained, so I have to keep the door closed at night, or he’ll “stealth pee” in the living room. He sometimes does #2 in there, if we aren’t super careful. He can be very possessive, selfish, and cranky, especially with our big street dog. Sometimes, he’s loud and obnoxious. He was passed around a lot before we got him, so he can be insecure and clingy.

But he is also one of the sweetest, most soulful, loving, and loyal dogs I have ever met. He worships my husband. He’s also very musical, and will sometimes sing along in the most adorable way with other dogs, especially when they howl. He’s also a fighter.

It is now past 1 am. He was sound asleep all evening, but he just woke me up for a potty break and a snack. I can already tell that he feels better, just by the look on his face. Earlier, I wondered if maybe we made a mistake by doing chemo. But now, I think that at least he’s enjoying the prednisone.

Date: October 13, 2022 08:15PM

<3

Date: October 14, 2022 12:09PM

I enjoyed reading about Arran and you and your family. Did all of you manage a good night's rest? Maybe your feelings are a little more settled now?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2022 12:11PM by skp.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 07:41PM

A big belly rub and my best wishes for a complete recovery for Arran. Hugs to you also Knotheaddusc, Arran is lucky to have such a caring human mum.

Date: October 13, 2022 10:41PM

Thank you. I don’t believe a complete recovery is possible with lymphoma in most cases. He is also quite elderly. But we want him to feel better for the time he’s got left.

He just woke me up at 4am for another potty break! Good thing I can take naps in the afternoon!

Date: October 14, 2022 05:32AM

I have a special affection for elderly animals. My elderly cat (who recently passed) liked to sleep on my stomach at night. Another family cat, who was too arthritic to climb stairs, used to cry for me to come pick him up so that he could sleep with me at night.

I'm glad that Arran is starting to feel better.

Date: October 14, 2022 06:54AM

I felt his lymph nodes, and they are noticeably smaller today. The Prednisolone and cancer fighting drugs are no joke!

He actually got up early this morning and ate a full ration of kibble. He hasn’t been getting up early lately. He did sleep on the floor last night, which is a first. I put a blanket down for him, and I guess that was more comfortable.

I know it’s temporary, but it’s nice to see.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 14, 2022 12:08PM

I'll be sending healing vibrations your way. Yes, dogs are more comforting than humans. Their love is unconditional; They love you, no matter what. A dogs snuggle means a lot to me.
What breed is Arran and your other dogs, who had cancer? I know that certain breeds are more prone to certain conditions.
It'll help me visualize him too, so I can concentrate better.
Again , I'm sorry for what you're going through and I wish him a speedy recovery, so you'll have a longer time with him

Date: October 14, 2022 01:02PM

Thank you.

Arran is mostly beagle, with coonhound and Llewelyn Setter. He’s got spots, but otherwise looks like a beagle. Picture an athletic looking beagle with Dalmatian spots.

All of our dogs, save for Noyzi, the Kosovar shepherd, were beagle mixes.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 14, 2022 01:39PM

I never knew anyone with a Kosovar before. I love big dogs. I love playing with them, without worrying about hurting them.
My husband is 6ft3, so he likes playing rough too,LOl.
Now I have something to help with my visualization.

Date: October 14, 2022 01:43PM

If you check my YouTube channel, you can see pics.

Noyzi has been a huge blessing. He is wonderful. Big dog from a tiny place!

Arran is from North Carolina.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 14, 2022 03:25PM

I guess not. I loved reading about your dog and your relationships with your dogs. I know you will keep us posted on how well Arran is doing.

I have a dog that had lab tests on Wednesday and I'm waiting to hear the results. I adopted he and his brother 7 years ago on August 31st. He had had pancreatitis and then has never acted completely back to himself. But he is eating a lot now and drinking a lot. He has lost 4 pounds, so is now 14 pounds. But he lost it too fast.

Dogs. I'd say they are the thing that saved my life over and over again. And my kids' lives. As I sit here with my daughter's shiatsu at my feet. She swore she'd never get her own dog. But they add so much to life.

Date: October 17, 2022 03:28AM

Oh no... I just saw this today. I hope everything is okay with your dog, cl2!

Date: October 17, 2022 03:32AM

So far, Arran is doing great! His lymph nodes have gone down, and he's a lot perkier. We just took a walk and he had fairly normal energy. He still isn't jumping on the bed by himself, but he no longer cries when I help him. And he's eating like a champ! Prednisolone stimulates the appetite, so he definitely wants his food.

I know this is temporary, but it's so nice to see. My husband was home over the weekend, and Arran was so happy to see him. I filmed the reunion! My husband had to go away again this week, but he'll be home on Thursday, which is also the day I will take Arran in for his second infusion of Vincristine.

I don't know how much this is going to cost us, but I think the reunion alone was worth the money. It's just so nice to actually be able to do something in the face of cancer instead of just waiting for doom to strike.

Date: October 17, 2022 05:15AM

Veterinary medicine can do a lot these days. Good to know that Arran is feeling perkier.

Date: October 18, 2022 09:49AM

Sounds like a really rough, bittersweet rollercoaster.

Date: October 18, 2022 09:37AM

Is his weight steady now, cl2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 09:37AM by skp.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 05:22AM

I am pulling for you. You know how I am about dogs. I really enjoy your YT :)

Date: October 18, 2022 07:06PM

Twelve-years old, shiny coal-black lady cat who was incorrectly sexed as a kitten. She never seemed to mind being called "Thor." She was quite social, took to strangers fairly quickly and very well-behaved with regard to scratching and things. She never coughed up hairballs or had accidents on carpet--only on hard surfaces.

Our family of six came together so that Thor could pass among those who knew and loved her. A very sensitive vet came and administered a sleeping aid while Thor rested comfortably in Mommy's lap, and the rest of us shared our final kisses and pats. As the vet finished her work, we all shared our fondest memories. The vet wrapped Thor in a cozy blankie, took pawprints in a keepsake display box, along with small samples of her fur.

The occasion was additionally poignant because it was a gathering of our "family of origin." This will be increasingly rare, with the children now adult and acquiring spouses (two) and serious sweethearts (one).

It was sad, and tears were shed, but we were mostly at peace with the decision. Thor lived a full and happy life with the run of a large, two floor apartment with lots of hiding places and window perches, and never lacked for love and doting attention. Special thanks to Knotheadusa for the fine wisdom she located from Queen Elizabeth, "Grief is the price we pay for loving."

So bittersweet, so true. I wish you and Arran the warmest and kindest for your future.

Son #1, who adopted Thor, and I will scatter her ashes in the woods on his farm property. Although Mommy first thought a bit of in-between time was prudent, two white sibling felines in need of a home have come to her attention, and we'll pay them a visit on Friday.

Thank you, everybody for your kind thoughts.

Date: October 18, 2022 07:12PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thor was well-loved, and she knew it. I'm glad that her passing was peaceful, and that she was surrounded by her family.

I lost my sweet, elderly cat in August. I had a dream a couple of nights ago where he came and hopped up onto my lap. I like to think that I will see him again one day.

Date: October 19, 2022 07:34AM

Oh, it sounds like Thor got a lovely send off, and will have a beautiful final resting place. I am very sorry for your loss, and I wish you and your family much peace and comfort.

As for Arran, he’s still doing okay, except that prednisolone makes him very hungry and have to pee a lot. He woke me up at 2:30am, peed on my rug, demanded treats, then got me up a half hour later, pooped on the rug, which I stepped in barefoot, then demanded more food. I finally had to give him part of his breakfast at 4AM, and by then, there was no more sleep for me.

But he’s bright and animated, and enjoys his walks. Tomorrow, he gets his second treatment at the vet, and I can reduce the prednisolone by five milligrams. Maybe that will take the edge off the side effects a little.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.