Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: briantchrist ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 08:45AM

I just read this article in the Trib that Sandra is closing shop and the properties are being demolished.

I have lived within minutes of UTLM for 30 years and never stopped by but when I read many of the things Sandra and Jerald researched and published they had a huge impact on my eventual understanding of how mendacious the cult really was.

But I could never understand how they couldn't make the tiny leap away from xianity, too. Seemed to me that once you realized Smith was a mountebank it became pretty clear the rest of the religions were frauds, too.

Anyway, here's the link if you're interested.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/11/25/after-nearly-60-years-salt-lake/

Edit:

I wanted to add this quote from Dummy Danny Peterson because it continues to expose him as a moron:

>>>In a 2006 profile, now-retired Brigham Young University professor Daniel Peterson said the Tanners “pound for pound, year after year, have been the most successful opponents of the church.”

>>>It wasn’t meant, he added, as a compliment.

Perfect!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2022 08:48AM by briantchrist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dorcasd ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 10:20AM

This makes me sad but I understand.

For years, I've hoped to visit Sandra and the bookstore. But, now, with this and her age, that may never happen.

So sad.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 10:34AM

"When her bookstore and old house are eventually leveled — and the proposed apartments and shops built in their place"

I hope the COB meets the same fate.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 02:48PM

I grew up within minutes of UTLM. I used to go the the Penny Savers store near by.

Posted by: Paisley Mae ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 08:45PM

Being the eldest daughter of the Tanners, I also grew up going to Penny Savers. :-)

Perhaps we went to school together in the 70's. I attended Jefferson, Lincoln Jr. High, and South High.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 05:18PM

I had no idea where UTLM was. It is less than a block from where I have my car serviced. Crime has been a thing in the area, though my niece just had a shelter in place order a week or two ago in Herriman, down by the copper mine, and a young woman was shot and killed downtown last week, a short walk from where i live.

SL City is making a concerted effort to reduce crime in the ballpark area. Sad to say that tearing down UTLM and other older buildings and putting up new apartments will probably help. I am getting the feeling that Ballpark neighborhood will turn into the next Sugarhouse. Just give it 20 years.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 06:08PM

maybe this will help OPie understand ~

https://youtu.be/iIvwQNftDc8

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 06:24PM

Don't much care for the Tribune headline "..epicenter of anti-Mormonism"
What to make of a religion where established facts are anti-Mormon?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 07:24PM

Agreed. Truth is the "epicenter of anti-Mormonism."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 10:44PM

Oaks and Nelson respond to the news

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNoVpDgKgg

Posted by: I ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 11:08PM

They've done GREAT WORK

It's too bad somebody couldn't buy the business, name, mission (no pun intended) and keep it going another 60 years, or until Mormonism dissolves, whichever is sooner... hopefully the latter!

I got some newsletters sent a while back.
Great organization and info-shop they built.

They'll go on to live free of Mormonism for the eternities.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 10:50AM

I think while historically important there is little need for a brick and mortar location.

Posted by: Location ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 05:09PM

Northern_Lights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think while historically important there is
> little need for a brick and mortar location.

They can build it out of sticks.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 26, 2022 12:16PM

IDK scat about SLC real estate, but perhaps Sandra is selling for retirement, hopefully to somewhere sunny & warm 365 days!

Bravo!!

(can someone take this over Online?)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 10:38AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> (can someone take this over Online?)

I believe their digital material will be archived online.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 04:52AM

Most mom and pop shops close when the owner retires. Unless you have kids that want to run it. I don’t think any of us are going to see the LDS church implode in our lifetimes. Life is short. Go have a good life and it’s a big world. The Mormon church is a drop in the ocean. Plenty more things to focus on.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 30, 2022 12:57PM

I would like to see them move the house to a different location. It is very historical Utah and could be used by a lot of different kind of businesses. At very least there needs to be a star on the ground like in Hollywood.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: November 30, 2022 01:34PM

Utah Lighthouse Ministries was Kind of like Queen Elizabeth.

She was just always there. Nobody could remember a time when she wasn't there so everyone figured she would just always keep on being there. I mean she was The Queen.

Likewise, Utah LHM was a kind of Utah royalty. I mean Sandra Tanner was a direct descendant of Brigham Young.

My last trip there was with SL Cabbie. The people who worked there seemed to know him well. At least they waited until after he died to close the doors.

It all seemed to me like a nice, historic Mormon house, and Sandra Tanner seemed like a nice Mormon woman, which she was until she decided to follow the truth, no matter where it led.

So it was strange to be around her in that historic old house, with her emanating nice Mormon Matron vibes. But that was who she was. She wasn't so much anti-Mormon as she was pro-truth.

My trips to SLC will NeVer be the same.

Lois

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 05:03PM

It's definitely the end of an era.

When my brother married a mormon back in 1985, UTLM was one of the few real sources (perhaps the only source) for genuine info on mormonism, for Mormons and non-Mormons alike.

Before the internet, bookstores and libraries were the hub of information. The Tanners really accomplished great things, IMO.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 01, 2023 01:52AM

My sister and I visited UTLM in 1983. Sandra was there, but we didn't talk to her. We were newly out of the church and didn't quite no how to talk to her. I'm sure we bought something--and we took the Lighthouse newsletter for years. We did buy books from her.

I imagined putting myself in her place--how many awkward moments she must have gone through. I hope she is enjoying some golden years.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.