Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 01:53AM

I saw Robert Redford speak at BYU. He was late (he has a reputation for being late), and he said he was late due to traffic delays from the widening of the road up Provo Canyon. He did not like the harm that this wider road would do to nature.

Redford said, "I'm 51." He was sad about this.

After saying this he started smiling in his own funny, unique way, licking his lips, and showing off his strong jaw.

I wonder how many times he has spoken at BYU. I can't find anything about it online.

Robert Redford is a bright spot in Provo. With all the discouraging Mormon stuff, at least we have one of the greatest movie stars that ever lived.

Thank Redford for Sundance Mountain Resort. Thank him for the Sundance Institute and the promotion of independent films. Thank him for his environmental activism.

If you have lived here long, you may have your own collection of "Redford sightings", by you and/or others.

Redford was married to a Mormon for awhile, so it would be interesting to know what he thinks about the subject. I think he tries to avoid talking about it. At a public gathering, somebody asked him about Mormonism, and he said, "do you really want to go there?"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2022 02:01AM by behindcurtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 02:05AM

He's known as Rob by the people who know him. Rode up on a ski lift with him once. Yeah he's lived in Utah for years. Bought his property with the money he made from the Butch Cassidy movie and named it after the character he played.

I used to go to the Sundance Film Festival every year when I lived in Utah. One time I got to explain to Slash how Utah drinking laws worked. He couldn't believe you could walk into a bar or club with a fifth of Jack Daniel's and not get in trouble. He said you can't even do that in LA.

Date: December 10, 2022 02:13AM

How did you learn that he is known as "Rob?" Did he tell you that? I knew he hated the name "Robert", and I read that he wanted to be called "Bob", or just "Redford." If I see him again, maybe I'll call him "Charlie" and see how he reacts ("Charles Robert Redford").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2022 02:14AM by behindcurtain.

Date: December 10, 2022 07:01AM

I knew someone who worked for him.

Posted by: CineFiend ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 09:43AM

Date: December 10, 2022 02:37AM

I remember walking into Blockbuster in Provo and seeing multiple copies of Indecent Proposal, where John Gage, played by Robert Redford, offers David (Woody Harrelson) $1,000,000 to sleep with his wife, Diana (Demi Moore). I wondered why Blockbuster would do this, since it was so close to BYU. I thought watching R rated movies was a sin, but after I lost faith in Mormonism, one of the first R rated movies I watched was Indecent Proposal.

Date: December 10, 2022 07:04AM

You know how many R rated movies we watched at BYU? I must have lived in an apartment complex full of heathens because nobody cared.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 08:55AM

''My ex-wife was a Mormon,'' Redford tells me. ''The Church tried to convert me several times. They threw the best guys they had at me, I'm telling you. And the fact is I do respect the Mormon culture, though I'm not so happy about their attitude toward Utah's environment. They call this state their promised land. I just wish they'd treat it more like one.''

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 09:12AM

Yeah, they definitely would have wanted his 10%. lol

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 11:10AM

Back in the 70s when I was single at BYU, we had a poster of him in our apartment. I took a BYU skiing class at Sundance. I never saw him around anywhere though.
To me, he was the handsome elusive movie star up in the mountains. He was my favorite actor and Elton John was my favorite singer. I still respect them both.

Thanks for the little walk down memory lane.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 03:42PM

Tell us about the football player.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 06:45PM

I've derailed enough threads lately!
Let's just say I didn't stay around long enough to find out if he was a cankle man.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 07:02PM

Oh, damn. We were just starting to glimpse the wild woman behind the thick eyeglasses!

It's always the studious types . . .

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 04:16PM

It was either 68 or 69, I can’t remember, but they had what was called the “western states premier“ of the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid at the Academy Theater in Provo. I chauffeured Robert Redford and his wife to the theater for the showing of the film. Afterward I chauffeured them to Sundance for an “after showing“ party. Many of the actors from the film were at this party, unfortunately Katherine Ross was not there. My young self would have enjoyed meeting her. I don’t have any astounding stories about what happened at the party, mainly because I was just a somewhat self-conscious BYU student at the time and pretty much kept to myself with my friend who was also a chauffeur for another car. However, I can attest to the fact that Robert Redford likes to be called Bob.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 04:30PM

Sundance ski resort was originally called Timp Haven. I think it was still Timp Haven when the movie came out and I chauffeured him to the party. Timp Haven is the ski resort that I learned to ski at when I first went to Provo in 1964 to go to school at BYU. All they had at that time was a single chair lift and a rope tow.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 02:00AM

I skied once at sundance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.