Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 02:14PM

Today's Arizona Republic p. 4A...

School Board hung up on whether or not students allowed to expose their midriff.

Yup, that's News here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 04:11PM

When I was in school in Salt Lake we were not allowed to have our shirt tails hanging out.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 04:25PM

Where I went to school we were not allowed to have our tails hanging out.

Date: August 20, 2023 04:32PM

Prehensile ?

Date: August 20, 2023 05:07PM

Very useful at the grocery store.

Date: August 20, 2023 05:10PM

I have prehensile toes that can pick up stuff from the floor.

Date: August 20, 2023 05:11PM

Thank you for sharing that, Dave.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 06:48PM

who had a prehensile tongue. The ladies loved him.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 05:14PM

Yeah in Junior High School, we had a teacher who had a paddle made of about 1" thick hard wood with holes drilled through it so it would be less restrained by wind resistance. If you got caught with your shirt tail out you got one very hard whack on the back; so hard it was difficult to walk away, when you were a skinny 12 year old seventh grader. Welts on the butt you could not stand to sit on in the hard wooden chairs, and we were afraid to tell our parents we had been "disciplined" for breaking the rules.

Today I think Mr. Gunn would be arrested and serve time for his weird sadistic fun.

(Yes and kids were bullied by having their shirt tails pulled out and dragged off to Mr. Gunn to beat your a$$.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 09:58AM

Having been on the receiving end of that type paddle, I can verify that they do indeed hurt. Ah, the 70's

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 05:20PM

It hasn't been allowed in the schools I've worked in.

No bare midriffs, no spaghetti straps or strapless tops, no overly short shorts, no vulgar words or anything else inappropriate, and for boys, no basketball tops (without a T-shirt underneath.) Basically, keep everything reasonably covered.

In addition, there might be rules against sweatpants with elastic on the lower legs (in which weapons can be hidden,) and hoodies worn in school. Other teachers have gotten lax about it, but I don't allow hoodies up in my classroom. I like to see the kid whom I'm teaching.

I also used to ban playful headbands (i.e. with cat ears, etc.,) but I'm not seeing them as much these days.

I've found over the years that kids tend to do better at their schoolwork if they dressed for work and not play.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 05:33PM

The first year of high school was the same. Then we got to wear pantsuits that had to match fabric. Finally as a senior we could wear jeans. But there couldn't be any fraying (it was popular then).

I was shocked what my daughter could wear to school and they don't have midriffs okayed yet?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2023 06:11PM

I wore dresses or skirts up through Jr. High. Then it was announced that girls could wear pants, and by day two, everyone was in jeans. :)

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 08:38PM

We got pants approved at the beginning of 9th grade. By 10th grade we could wear jeans.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 10:28PM

The times are changing. They are always changing.

We have customer reviews this week, and someone decided that the dress code will be Hawaiian shirts. I don't even own one.

We now also have young engineers showing up to work in shorts, t-shirts, and baseball caps. It's strange to me but if their bosses don't care, I'm not going to.

My skinny, aging legs are nothing to look at these days, so I won't be following that trend, either.

I might officially be entering the fuddy-duddy phase of life.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 10:38PM

Then they were wearing what were essentially, bras.
That became string bras. Really.
So two-piece outfits were prohibited, at least in my city.
Ruling against midriffs might seem oppressive, authoritarian, or puritanical, but consider how kids will push limits and test rules (and enforcement). By prohibiting exposed midriffs, teachers don't have to deal with, "This much midriff is okay" vs. "this much midriff is not," and attend to things like...teaching.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 12:32AM

At Ricks in 1966-67 jeans were not allowed to be worn for class. The idaho Gulag.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 10:29AM

I doubt the girls at BYU can wear jeans and maybe not even pants. My sister was there in the late 70s and she was still not allowed to wear pants to classes, etc.

My dear TBM daughter, who was anti for many years and we didn't go to church after they were 8 or 9, so she wore what she felt like wearing no matter what her mom said. So now with her garments on, she wears layers with a plain white t-shirt underneath her top layer so people can't see here garment lines. No wonder she works in Alaska in the summers!!!! My sweating sure got a lot better when I quit wearing garments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2023 10:31AM by cl2.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 01:39AM

Had to go buy slacks at Keith's Mens Wear. Pissed me off. I wore jeans everywhere but church back then. And the Ricks Honor Gestapo was run by a real piece of work. He wanted to enforce everything!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.