Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 1206 ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 03:42PM

From Boise State Public Radio:

Ammon Bundy has once again failed to appear in court regarding defamation charges brought by St. Luke’s Health System. He sent an email to a district court judge saying he would also refuse to appear in the future. Ada County Judge Nancy Baskin issued another warrant for Bundy after his failure to appear, setting bail at $250,000.

“I have much more important matters to attend to...” Bundy wrote in the email to Baskin.

In August, the court ordered Bundy and his co-defendants to pay St. Luke’s nearly $52 million in damages for their defamatory statements St. Luke’s said Bundy has continued to attack the hospital’s reputation despite a court injunction ordering him to remove 18 months worth of statements he’s made on the internet.

Bundy had been scheduled to face contempt charges in the case during a trial this week, as the hospital system said he’s continued to attack it online.

He also repeatedly refused to show up to prior hearings.

Monday’s events come after Baskin delayed a hearing earlier in the year at Bundy’s request so he could harvest his crops.

“I am shocked that he has sent this email thinking he can simply decide he can just not appear,” said Baskin. “Mr. Bundy does not seem to understand that the court calendar is not his calendar.”

She also ordered his original $10,000 bond forfeited.

“There needs to be a message sent by a court,” Baskin said of the new bail amount. “This court is doing everything in its power to protect Mr. Bundy’s rights.”

Lawyers for the hospital filed court documents saying he’s been hiding his assets in a series of corporations or with friends.

Bundy’s co-defendant, Diego Rodriguez, appealed the ruling to the Idaho Supreme Court, which is currently considering the case.

The case began when Bundy and Rodriguez organized protests at St. Luke’s in 2022 after law enforcement seized Rodriguez’s grandchild over welfare concerns and transferred him to the hospital.

The protests led to a lockdown of the hospital’s downtown Boise campus and forced ambulances to be rerouted.

In an email, Bundy said he doesn’t regret his actions and asked for people to pray for his family. He did not answer a question related to his current whereabouts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 04:20PM

Breaking News: No word on his status as a “member in good standing” with the Doomsday CULT he was born into however.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 05:03PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Breaking News: No word on his status as a “member in good standing” with the Doomsday CULT he was born into however.

You (we) were excepting anything / something otherwise?

Honesty, & being subjects to laws, rules, etc. isn’t on the agenda of ChurchCo, I don’t think it ever has been in a realistic application;

However it serves as good PR / filler.

That said, I think they’re ‘wise’ for not publishing - publicizing disciplinary actions.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 05:12PM

Bundy "knows" that Jesus will come back any day now, rendering any court orders moot.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 05:44PM

This guy is trying to be his own personal Waco event. He thinks rules don't apply to him. He will be a hero to certain types of cranks who think ... well, you know. He will provoke any enforcement and then claim to be a victim.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, he's been shifting ownership of his house and funds around, from what I gather.

Mormons here don't seem to talk about him.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 05:55PM

He thinks the law doesn't apply to him. I say, block the entrance to his home. Block any access to his property, in or out. Let him live off of his food storage. If that doesn't flush him out, I don't know what will. lol

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:38PM

That gets close to what happened at Ruby Ridge. It would be profoundly dangerous to create a standoff between an armed extremist and the police/FBI. Tensions rise, tempers flare, and suddenly innocent people are killed and extremists have a new martyr.

I think it imperative to avoid anything that would leave Bundy in his home, which is presumably well-stocked with food and munitions. It would be far better--even if not risk-free--to capture him as he walks out of Target, his hands full of Christmas presents; or as he enters his local IHOP.

Ammon Bundy is a buffoon. He deserves to be bankrupted and locked up for a long time. But that doesn't change the fact that the situation is extraordinarily dangerous and its resolution could do great damage to the country. I therefore hope that the authorities are thinking a lot more strategically than the Bush and Clinton administrations did in 1992 and 1993, respectively.

Posted by: ciena ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 06:14PM

Fundy Bundy, you may now vanquish any presently or previously held expectations.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 06:37PM

Find out who his home teachers are and wait till the end of the month. Shirley we'll find out then what is going on out there.

If that fails I'm sure that a batch of sugar cookies on his porch will work wonders.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 09:26PM

sunbeep Wrote:
--------------------------------
> Find out who his home teachers
> are and wait till the end of
> the month.  Shirley we'll find
> out then what is going on ...

Shirley knows everything!

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:01PM

"'I am shocked that he has sent this email thinking he can simply decide he can just not appear,' said Baskin."

"Shocked"? Where do they find these judges? Don't they follow the news? How can she not know the history of the Bundy tribe's contempt for the law, or have a clue how difficult it was to get him into court before?

IIRC, we all remarked how laughably low that $10K bail was. Anyone here could have predicted he'd just skip it and ignore the court date. And now the terrified county sheriff has to go arrest him once more, which (again) will probably take the better part of a year.

Seriously, when did judges become so naïve and gullible?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:30PM

You can say that again.

This is a joke. Just not a funny one.

Date: November 14, 2023 07:45PM

That judge had better get used to people acting like they have no obligation to follow the law or respect democratic institutions. Idaho has been attracting a lot of kooks. The problem seems to be that law enforcement and other local elected officials are a mixed bag when it comes to encouraging them.

Date: November 14, 2023 07:52PM

Ain't that the truth. Much like the January 6 crowd. Way too many Americans have forgotten their oaths to the constitution.

That way lies tyranny.

Date: November 14, 2023 09:29PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
---------------------------------
> ...Way too many Americans have
> forgotten their oaths to the
> Constitution.

Ever so many people take an oath to their interpretation of the Constitution...

Date: November 14, 2023 11:29PM

Yes. Just like how people are loyal to a God who happens to be just like them.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 09:02PM

dagny Wrote:
> Idaho has been
> attracting a lot of kooks.

There are a lot more of them around than I ever realized before.

I've been sadly disappointed to realize that a heckuva lot of people don't seem too interested in logic. Or can't do it.

Or something.

PS: And another thing I value highly that seems in short supply (in all the wrong places) is consistency.

And good sense. Consistent good sense. Is that too much to ask for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2023 09:03PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 14, 2023 10:27PM

True all that.

They can be consistently inconsistent!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 16, 2023 12:39AM

L.A. Exmo Wrote:
> "'I am shocked that he has sent this email
> thinking he can simply decide he can just not
> appear,' said Baskin."
>
> "Shocked"? Where do they find these judges? Don't
> they follow the news? How can she not know the
> history of the Bundy tribe's contempt for the law,
> or have a clue how difficult it was to get him
> into court before?
>
> IIRC, we all remarked how laughably low that $10K
> bail was. Anyone here could have predicted he'd
> just skip it and ignore the court date. And now
> the terrified county sheriff has to go arrest him
> once more, which (again) will probably take the
> better part of a year.
>
> Seriously, when did judges become so naïve and
> gullible?

I suspect she does know the whole story. However, she is trying to give Bundy the benefit of the doubt in case his lawyer (like the one for #45) decides to appeal her rulings based on prejudice against the defendant. Put another way, the goal here is not only to get Mr. Bundy in to jail but also to make sure that any conviction isn't overturned on appeal.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 07:50PM

They should take away the one thing he can't live without - an audience. Take away the internet and he would be out in a week. The reason the asshat keeps doing things is because he keeps getting away with it. Lock his ass up, put a forensic accountant on the case and have at it. Consequences that have a bite, that is the point. That is how you change behavior.

Date: November 14, 2023 08:34PM

I think he wants some kind of standoff. I think he wants to be part of the Waco legacy anti govt club or somesuch.

I agree that cutting off his audience access would help. OTOH, he might thrive alone in some cabin writing manifestos.

Date: November 14, 2023 09:34PM

shut off his electricity; if he or anyone in his group leaves the property for groceries, fuel, or anything else, arrest them on sight.

He's probably (?) using a well for water, but a well needs a pump & electricity to power it, have the judge order the power company to cut his property off.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: November 14, 2023 11:02PM

He asks for folks to pray for his family?

Those prayers will be just as effective as the rape victim praying her attacker will be killed by lightning.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 03:38AM

He's being persecuted for his beliefs.

Date: November 14, 2023 11:09PM

Don't we love it when conservatives preach that people should be responsible/accountable for their choices - actions?

OOPS, I guess that doesn't apply to some conservatives!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 15, 2023 09:45PM

and crazy.

Posted by: ciena ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 04:23AM

I just now finished researching a term coined pretty much by mistake, "daring-do" and I have to tell you, I am worried.

It is the over-enthusiastically based behavior that can lead to trouble. Serious trouble.

Is this completely upsetting or what?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 02:13PM

There is very little new under the sun. The "Empty Quadrant" of America keeps spawning these types of movements. Bundy is just a cut-rate copy of the Montana Freemen from back in the 1990s. Incidentally, several of the people involved in that fiasco were from Utah, though they bailed out before people got arrested and sent to prison.

In the wikipedia article, note how many of the perps had their sentences extended because they continued their illegal activities from prison. Now that's chutzpah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Freemen

If you have a couple of hours, Montana PBS did a documentary about the rise of the Freemen that I think is worth that much of your time. They were part of the "sovereign citizen" movement, which is still around and kicking. A young man in Davis County, UT was shot and killed last year in a sovereign citizen confrontation with police, and just last week I saw a truck in SLC with a message painted on the tailgate in 5 inch letters "Not for hire. This vehicle is a private conveyance" or words to that effect.

The Sovereign Cit. folks think this makes them immune to having to license and register their vehicles. The truck did have current plates.

They also contend that if the flag in the courthouse has gold fringe, then the judge has no jurisdiction because the fringe makes the court an admiralty court, that only has jurisdiction in maritime cases. I kid you not.

https://www.montanapbs.org/programs/rise-of-the-freemen/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2023 02:14PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: November 17, 2023 05:47PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:

> continue their illegal activities from prison.
> Now that's chutzpah.
>
>

47?

> just last week I saw a truck in SLC with a message
> painted on the tailgate in 5 inch letters "Not for
> hire. This vehicle is a private conveyance" or
> words to that effect.
>
> The Sovereign Cit. folks think this makes them
> immune to having to license and register their
> vehicles

(not only Montana, my friend…)

Date: November 19, 2023 04:27PM

Actually, the phrase 'not for hire' ( I studied transportation in college) has a certain legal meaning, I believe it's to distinguish the types of cargo carried & types of customers served.

A 'common carrier' at one time was more or less obligated to accept freight of most any non-hazardous type, but with de-regulation, distinctions have become muddied.

For example, most of the Walmart truck one sees on the roads aren't 'common carriers', I don't think Walmart Transport even accepts back-haul freight.

Nearly all of the railways in the U.S. were classified as common carriers with few exceptions; in Utah there was a railway that served Geneva Steel with trains that operated with a crew!

it takes a score-card to track uses & applications in government and are very susceptible to administration policies and lobbying pressure.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: November 17, 2023 10:35PM

The Judge has not declared a contempt citation and ordered the yellow Sheriff to pick him up and stick his fat arse in jail?

Date: November 17, 2023 11:20PM

Apparently the judge hasn't been inspired to do so yet . . .

But I'm sure he's trying to stay in tune with the spirit!

Date: November 17, 2023 11:31PM

Someone needs to verify whether or not the judge's tithing payments are up-to-date...

just sayin

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.