Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 10:16AM

A gentleman last week spoke words of wisdom.

I had more fun in the 70s in my 20s than now in the 20s in my 70s.

Had to agree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 10:34AM

As a 73 year old I could not disagree--regarding "fun". OMG. The 70's!

There is more depth to many experiences now that give pure fun a run for its money, but still...

The down side of memory. My cerebral cortex has no intention of waiting until I die to flash my life before my eyes. And also delights in highlighting that which I would choose to forget. Not that I'm anxious for dementia or anything but I need an editor working somewhere between my ears making sure what goes one more time around the cerebellum is wanted.

I happened on the following the other day in an article and it nails it for me: " . . . insisting that aging is less like a blithely layered painting than a gallery of conflicting portraits, often excruciating to entertain in the same mind."

I do like when the memories of me in the 70's pop up. In my late twenties. Freshly out of Mormonism. Freshly out of Utah. Los Angeles. Truly the city of Angels who knew what sin wasn't.

OH the stories I have.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 10:53AM

I guess you have to re-define what you think fun is at 70. Peace and quiet with a great book is more fun than a bunch of shallow air heads at a party to me now.

I don't think I would want to go back to being as stupid as I was at 20.

Date: November 21, 2023 11:11AM

Exactly. So glad I have a past and so glad it's in the past.

Peace and quiet and a good book. You can say that again!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 11:58AM

Quite the mixed bag, que no?

Date: November 21, 2023 12:02PM

You have no idea.

Or . . . maybe you do.

Date: November 21, 2023 12:03PM

"If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again"

--Judic West

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 11:57AM

I guess I missed the stupid years.

In my twenties I backpacked, learned to ski, explored the back country of several states, and travelled abroad learning of different cultures and lifestyles.

Enjoyed it much better than my seventies are going.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 07:55AM

I feel the same way, Dagny. Youth is for the young. I wouldn't mind having a more flexible body and tighter skin. But that's about it. For the most part, I like my life. I like my community, my home, and my job. I have family close by, at least for now. As you say, a comfy chair and a good book satisfy me at present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 12:21PM by summer.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 11:26AM

Wisdom and fun as you reach your senior years can be summarized in the two following replies I give often, along with a smile.

"No Thank You."

"I'm Good"

I have found being in control of your life along with wise decisions is far more fun than the stupidity of youth.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 11:53AM

You guys are wise ;)

I enjoy life now because I'm not living for the moment.

I like to do puzzle books; it helps keep the mind active, and reading is great too; especially if you're curled up in a soft chair, reading, it's raining lightly outside, and you hear the sound of car tires on the wet road.

Enjoy nature and taking the time to "smell the roses", as they say.

No; I wouldn't trade my life now for life in the 70's for anything.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 08:46PM

With more than 80 years of life to reflect on I have learned that I still have meany things to learn. I am not the person I would like to be but I am perhaps better than the person I used to be. Thankfully there is hope.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 01:54PM

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 10:14PM

Go kick some serious butt-- attend a Rolling Stone concert. They'll be hitting 16 US & Canadian cities next year, and get this: the tour will be sponsored by AARP!

"No joke!" as thr First Geezer is wont to say. AARP will make blocks of 8 tickets available to their members ahead of general sales. Rock on!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 21, 2023 10:27PM

I hear ya! I love the Stones. It will not be the same without Charlie though. Who knew that drugs and rock and roll lead to a long productive life. LOL
I'm more impressed with Mick with every passing year. The guy worked hard and had discipline in addition to talent. I can't believe they are planning such an extensive tour. Rock on!

The other day I listened to Gimme Shelter probably 10 times.

Date: November 22, 2023 12:29PM

I looked up the price of tickets, and to get tickets equivalent to the seats I had at a RS stadium show back in the early 1980s (at a cost of about $15 or so,) it would set me back more than $500 per seat. Even the peanut gallery seats are more than $250. Plus it would be a long trip for me involving an overnight stay. No thanks. I've seen them a couple of times already. They're great. But I've reached an age where I value both my hearing and my bank account.

Does Mick Jagger still engage in his usual stage antics? I can't help but wonder how he keeps that up at age 80. Most people's bodies at that age are not built for that level of exertion.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 03:18AM

I finally got out of high school. Ended up at the best job I've ever had. I was in that job until the 1980s and then my world blew up in a thousand pieces. So much for being a good little mormon girl and not marrying one of the nonmormons who asked me.

The 2020s aren't so great either. 66 and going on 102--probably a lot less than that. The last two years haven't been great. Before I'm too old, I hope things improve.

But the second half of the 70s hands down I think the best years of my life.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 11:38AM

Reflecting on the 70's has been quite the walk down memory lane.

I spent the decade having babies and then being the wife of a bishop who spent countless hours at the church and away from home. I was so miserable during that period of time that the stake president intervened! He asked me in a temple recommend interview how it was being the wife of a bishop. I said "horrible". Well, that started a huge change. He was a doctor. He had me come to his office and explain what I was feeling. He then told DH that his wife was depressed and that changes needed to be made. He was instructed to get a second car so that I wasn't trapped in our small apartment with 3 little kids all the time. He wrote me out a prescription---it said, "find a job". I cried with happiness that I had "permission" from him to do so. Gossip flew through the ward that the bishop had gotten into debt and his wife had to work! I.DID.NOT.CARE! I was finally able to contribute to the household in a way that helped my mental health and probably saved our marriage at that time.

So, I guess I would say I'm glad I survived the 70's more than any other thing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 02:03PM

"Getting old is a process of 1) trying to get to sleep, 2) trying to stay awake, and 3) ever greater difficulty telling them apart."

--Methuselah Mathers as quoted talking to his son Increase in the Old North Meeting House

Date: November 22, 2023 02:28PM

I have more sleepless nights now, and I can't figure out for the life of me what causes them, apart from advancing age.

Date: November 22, 2023 03:31PM

> I can't figure out for the
> life of me what causes them

GUILT!!  

Your refusal to accept Joseph Smith, Jr. as your personal conduit to Elohim and his favorite son, Jesus, is what is tormenting you!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 05:34PM

Be careful. In her new incarnation she's likely to punish your insolence with a good spanking--and not the kind you like.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 22, 2023 03:40PM

Having turned 75 this past summer, quality over quantity is my mantra now...in life experiences, craft beer, good scotch and cuts of beef!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.