Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 01:43AM

LINE is an app that we use in Japan. It's a lot like WhatsApp, and they have a news section in the app. This is how a lot of Japanese get their news; sports, entertainment, international, etc.

https://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/2309/01/news152.html

The article is probably a translation of an English article. You can read it in English by right-clicking and selecting Translate to English (in Chrome).

The good news is, while the Mormons try to present a polished picture of themselves to the public, the truth has a way of getting out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 05:37PM

Seems like when a Mormon becomes famous it's through notoriety.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 09:22PM

Hard to figure any of them getting famous for being generous...

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 10:18AM

Right?!?

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 11:02AM

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 03:23PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 03:52PM

If you want to watch this, you can start at 3:45 in the video when the judge arrives. Jodi pleaded guilty to four of the six counts (I assume that the other two counts were dropped as a part of the plea agreement.) Sentencing will be on February 20th at 10:30 a.m.

Date: December 27, 2023 03:53PM

> Sentencing will be on February
> 20th at 10:30 a.m.

What's everyong wearing?

What should I bring?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 04:02PM

> What's everyong wearing?
>
> What should I bring?

You should bring a lawyer and wear a disguise--the handlebar mustache and bolo tie should suffice--lest all those outstanding warrants find a home.

Date: December 27, 2023 04:12PM

... okay, so then the party isn't in Japan?

Date: December 27, 2023 06:15PM

Japan and the US have an extradition treaty.

Date: December 27, 2023 05:58PM

I got the sense from the video that she is expecting some special consideration when it comes to the sentencing. Maybe she will get that, and maybe she won't.

Date: December 27, 2023 06:20PM

I'm sure she will get special consideration: that's what plea deals do.

She probably had the worst charges dropped in exchange for a guilty or no-contest plea on the lesser offenses; the prosecutor may even recommend lower-than-standard sentences on the latter. That way the state avoids the full cost and uncertainty of a jury trial while also ensuring that Franke has a criminal record with four convictions, which will raise the stakes dramatically if she ever breaks the law again.

Date: December 27, 2023 06:31PM

Yeah, but shouldn't sentencing be taken into consideration with the plea deal itself? She basically is relying on the judge's goodwill.

Date: December 27, 2023 06:38PM

All the prosecutor can do is recommend a sentence. The judge always has final say. It's rare, but judges do sometimes reject plea bargains.

The best recent example is the judge who threw out a plea bargain that would have granted the Sacklers immunity from law suits over opioid deaths.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/16/1065046057/judge-overturns-settlement-that-protected-the-sackler-family-from-opioid-lawsuit

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 27, 2023 07:53PM

https://www.abc4.com/

"4. The defendant agrees to serve a prison term; and

5. The sentence received for Count 1, Count 3, Count 5, and Count 6 are to be served. consecutive to each other.

‘Trial judge not bound.
I know that any charge or sentencing concession or recommendation of probation or suspended sentence, including a reduction of
the charges for sentencing, made or sought by either defense counsel or the prosecuting attorney are not binding on the judge. I also know that any opinions they express to me as to what they believe the judge may do are not binding on the judge."

elsewhere in the story:

"Both face up to 15 years in prison for each guilty count for a maximum of 60 years"

We'll see what happens.

Date: December 27, 2023 08:00PM

Big numbers.

Remember also that time off for good behavior usually means criminals usually spend 1/3 of their total sentence. So 60 years would mean 20, and 20 would mean 6.67. If she's sentenced to 12 years--4X3--she'd like be out in four years. And she'd almost certainly lose her professional licenses and never be allowed near children again.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Date: December 28, 2023 01:22AM

In the video, I recall that she seemed calm or even relieved when her lawyer and the judge were discussing the pre-sentencing evaluation. I just get the feeling that she thinks things will go her way -- that she will get a relatively light sentence, or will serve limited time with good behavior.

Date: December 27, 2023 06:32PM

Better sources.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/09/09/ruby-franke-case-jodi-hildebrandt/

https://www.ksl.com/article/50829455/8-passengers-case-jodi-hildebrandt-follows-vlogger-ruby-franke-in-child-abuse-guilty-plea

two women face six felony counts each of aggravated child abuse.

By Jordan Miller
| Sep. 9, 2023, 4:20 p.m.
| Updated: 5:03 p.m.

Comment

"An attorney for Utah parenting YouTuber Ruby Franke filed a motion for an expedited detention hearing Friday after Franke’s codefendant and business partner, Jodi Hildebrandt, was hospitalized.

Hildebrandt experienced a “life-threatening” medical issue while incarcerated at the Washington County jail, according to court documents, and was hospitalized for several days. Hildebrandt’s attorney, Douglas Terry, filed a motion Friday requesting a special setting to discuss Hildebrandt’s detention status, citing her medical issue.

Franke’s attorney, LaMar Winward, also filed a motion requesting an expedited detention hearing for Franke along with Hildebrandt’s, since “it is believed both cases should be heard at the same time.” KUTV reported that Franke was suffering from medical issues and that she was moved into a medical block at the Washington County Jail, but the specifics of Hildebrandt’s and Franke’s medical issues remain unclear.

The two women face multiple felony charges of child abuse.

Franke and Hildebrandt’s next hearing was originally set for Sept. 21 during their initial appearances on Friday, and 5th District Judge Eric Gentry announced that Franke and Hildebrandt would remain held without bail until their next scheduled court appearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2023 09:28PM by Maude.

Date: December 27, 2023 06:41PM

The exmormon that I am ofcourse wants the police to also interview the bishops that Jodi and Rubi had. I have never lived in Utah but I was an active lds member in Germany and the brnach/ward gossip was intense. If Rubi's youngest 2 children went to church malnourished the rumor mill would have made it to the bishop to hear that Rubi's children look skinny. The stasi I mean sorry the home teacher and visiting teacher with their monthly visits. The primary or young men/ young women.
Sorry it is now called "ministering" Anyway I can not shake the feeling the bishop knew that there was child abuse going on with Ruby.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: December 30, 2023 10:20AM

As long as we tell the truth we have nothing to worry about :) It's all part of being a true church - i.e., telling the truth :)

Oh that reminds me that I still need to provide that link showing the Church being so honest and transparent about everything. If I don't produce it then my credibility is toast. And then some of you might doubt whether the Church is actually honest and true.

Date: December 30, 2023 10:25AM

>> And then some of you might doubt whether the Church is actually honest and true.

"Might" being the operative word, here. I suppose anything is possible. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.