Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 09:08PM

Can anyone here speak with some bit knowledge about the following questions?

- is this "soaking" thing real, or just an entertaining story?

- Do some students really think that condoms are moral because the skin of the penis does not actually touch the vaginal lining? (I mean, just using hands to touch the gubbins of another person will get you R.U.N.N.O.F.T from BYU.)

- Do BYU students*really* claim that "oral is moral"?

A well-meaning and forgetful older man would like to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 09:25PM

I'm not sure the statute has run, so I'm not saying a word.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 10:00PM

Albert Carrington was an apostle in the late 1800s and had been a mormon guide /participant with the Stansbury expedition to explore and map the islands of the Great Salt Lake. He named an island after himself.

He was eventually excommunicated for adultery and other sexual sins. He had a very special silk handkerchief that he convinced several women that if used as a barrier prevented actual contact of the organs during intercourse and no sin was being committed. My friend who worked in the Church historical department a long time ago told me that this handkerchief was produced as evidence during Carrington's excommunication trial, and the Church still has this in their collection of historical items.

So the BYU students probably aren't the first to use this trick.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 05:06PM

Wonder if that silk handerchief is displayed in a Lawyer Museum somewhere along with the "blue dress".

Date: April 02, 2024 05:23PM

Maybe there is something to the notion of celestial inspiration!!

Posted by: John Corrill ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 03:55PM

I have no idea if "soaking" or "floating" are real things among the young and horney LDS kid, but I can confidently say from experience that "levi lovin" and "pajama poundin" are indeed real.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 07:26PM

My brother did not attend BYU and still, as he put it, "dipped" his girlfriend in order to remain chaste. So not just a BYU thing, but a misguided mormon thing.

Just add it to the list of whacked ideas they actually believe...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 09:50PM

I think all that is silly urban legend. There’s a lot of sleeping around at BYU. A lot. They screw like everyone else. I think this soaking thing is just something to laugh about. There’s a lot of sex in the church in Utah. Lot’s of swingers. It’s a form of rebellion against a church so many feel is overbearing.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: March 31, 2024 11:12PM

The “stay moral, go oral” phrase goes back to at least the late 70s when I was there. And I still find it baffling that back then, drinking seemed to be more taboo than sex.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 05:42AM

My first year of college was at a real party school. I actually got tired of roommates getting drunk and puking in the bathroom. I transferred to BYU to get away from drinking and slutty girls and my first date at the Y wanted to light up a cigarette in my car. It didn’t take me long to find out many of the girls there would sleep with you if they liked you. Not much drinking or pot smoking but there was plenty of fucking.

I hear it hasn’t changed. In fact much of the younger generation just view the church leaders as old guys who are out of touch.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 12:03PM

That is interesting as it was unusual to see cigarettes when I was there in the '70s. Sometimes cigars for show.

What I experienced at BYU was a lot of variation in how kids thought about sex - from it being much as anyplace with young people fumbling around trying to figure themselves out to many doing that fumbling around with the added complexity of wanting to be committed to Mormonism at the same time - bringing out some weird ideas about what intimate behaviors are OK or not (things like the OP brought up), to the "my first kiss will be over the alter in the temple" subgroup. A big difference at BYU was that things were kept on the 'down low' with an added dose of fear, shame, and guilt for most.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 03:17PM

cludgie, you asked " is this "soaking" thing real, or just an entertaining story?"

I asked a couple years ago on this board if anyone had actually "soaked".

No one said or admitted that they had.

I remember back, there was no way I could have sat still if some girl had allowed me to soak.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 03:40PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 04:11PM

I had several weirdo missionary companions (not sexual in nature). Just some companions whose interpretations of certain missionary rules was flat out bizarre. One guy hated praying, even a simple prayer to bless the food was out of the question. His solution? We had ONE prayer to bless the groceries after shopping. This was done before organizing the food pantry and refrigerator. Then he would make a sandwich and tell me, "Remember, we already blessed the food so leave me alone, Goop!"

I had another one who thought daily companionship study time was too much to handle (We were supposed to study/practice the missionary guide and practice the discussions everyday.) He insisted that we do the assigned chapters all in one morning by speedreading. I am a slow reader and that bothered him so he read aloud.

At one apartment, I lived across the street from a grocery store. I had a companion who went shopping everyday. He even went on Sunday. His rationale was to leave his goods in a shopping basket that he hid behind merchandise on Saturday night. He would go to the market on Sundays after church. He had forgotten his groceries and it was his duty to retrieve them.

Other examples of mind bending nuttiness from Mormon minds. Listening to the car radio on Sundays = big sin. But listening to a cassette tape of rock music was okay (because the music tape was created during the week). Other oddities, listening to rock music in car was fine, but there is a 3 block spiritual zone near the chapel which must be obeyed. Really???

Some more. I once attended Single Adult wards after my mission. A real pain in the ass because they were an hour away. If I was driving my vehicle, I would get small fast food after church.
One young man in my car actually told me that I was going to outer darkness for breaking the Sabbath. He was such an idiot that he actually jumped out of my car while in the drive-thru.

Another rebuked me for buying food, but a cold beverage was permissible. Same with milkshakes. But a hamburger made people work on the Sabbath and that was a major sin.

For me it's not hard to believe that Mormon students are soaking and think they are not breaking the law of chastity.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2024 04:14PM by messygoop.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 11:54PM

Also called Pharisaism. unique to LDS or Protestant fundamentalism. What, exactly, is a "Sabbath-day walk?" The matter of buying and preparing food on the Lord's Day/Sabbath brings to my mind that my oven has a "Sabbath mode" for people who prepare their dinner the day before (okay, got it, that's "work") but touching the controls is also "work," so it has to be placed in the oven before the Sabbath.

Some buildings have "Sabbath schedule" for their elevators. One lift will go up and down, continuously, opening and closing the doors, so that nobody has to commit the sin of "work" by pushing a button.

Sheesh!

Posted by: mahu74 ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 09:03PM

Garfunkel and Oates explain “The Loophole” among young evangelicals in a hilarious video on YouTube (NSFW)

Date: April 02, 2024 09:13PM

What happens if they catch an RM with a 6-pack of O'Doul's?

Posted by: calianon ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 01:28PM

It's mostly an urban myth. Sure someone has done it and thought it was okay.

Now dry humping or whatever you want to call is very common at BYU.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 02:40PM

will be highlighted at GC or at least in a YBU devotional (is attendance mandatory/taken/recorded at devotionals?)

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 03:24PM

Does the person jumping on the bed have to have, at least, the Aaronic priesthood; or must they have been ordained to the Melchizedek?

Just adding my question.

HH =)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 05:20PM

When I (& Lethridge) were at Ricks/Hicks, the big 'after question' was:

(Re: RMs) did he leave his garmies on?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.