Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:19PM

So they were holding a Slow and Testimony meeting today. I came home early because I am not feeling well. Which is actually true, I am not 'faking' it to get out of church.

They had a baby blessing and I was listening to the words about how said baby will grow up and be a strong member and get married in the temple, etc. etc., and it occurred to me that many on this board have had the same thing at some time in the past done to them.

Shouldn't a blessing if it is done through the proper power and authority of the priesthood, sealed by the Melchezidek no less have offered US some sort of protection, if it were TRUE, from being lead into believing the Church is a bunch of nonsense. Anyone of us who had said blessings over the years should be sitting in church as TBMs, instead of reading this board.

Then you include all the Fathers blessings, and advancement blessings, and healing of the sick blessings, and if you just think of the 'failure' of those blessings for the people on the board, it's cumulative.

If my logic is sound, which an apologist would of course say it isn't, the cumulative amount of failed blessings church wide, or even worldwide is quite large. Just the fact that you and I are here proves that your fathers blessing of you failed, his priesthood failed, and therefore the church is false. qed.

On another similar topic, a lady said something so stupid during her testimony, I had to bit my lip not to burst out laughing.

"We have the most powerful wireless system on the planet, guaranteed to do marvelous things...it's called prayer."

Can you imagine relying on prayer to make your internet connection work. If it doesn't log on so you can check your stock portfolio, it must mean the answer was no. I mean it's just ridiculous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:28PM

Whenever we screw up, the blame is upon us, not our blessings. Did you get the flu despite a blessing telling you otherwise? (I did when I was 7 years old). Don't blame the blessing, you must have sinned. And obviously after the biggest sin of them all - APOSTASY - baby blessings no longer count. In mormonism what they fail to mention is that SIN, not prayer, is the greatest power on earth. One sin, no matter how tiny can prevent a thousand blessings.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:28PM

That's why they make all blessings conditional on your obedience to commandments. If only you would obey the commandment to attend church, you would have the blessing of attending church right now.

Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:38PM

It is all predicated on whether you pay the man your 10%

God does not need your money but the TSCC does to show your

blind obedience. Pay first get blessings later.. probably

much later as in after your dead...

THE BOOK OF MORMON
CHAPTER 8
Mormon
32 Yea, it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:39PM

Good point!

The Mormons would like to think the onus is on us--we were not faithful enough, or "in tune with the spirit" enough to receive their perfect priesthood blessings. Not!

Why do they need the oil? Do they use oil on the babies? Why do they need other men in the circle? Isn't one enough? If there's a woman in the circle, or a wicked man, does the blessing not work? If the right words "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen" are not said, is the blessing null and void?

I have severe wheat allergy, and the bishop suggested that I wrap up a piece of gluten-free bread in saran wrap, so it isn't touching the other bread, and make sure to put it on the correct tray that will go to where I'm sitting, and go through all that rigamarole. I said, "Can't I just keep it in my pocket during the blessing? He said no. I said, "What if I sat as close to the table as possible? If God's blessings come all the way from Heaven, wouldn't they spread out a few feet from the sacrament table, say, four feet, six feet, maybe through the whole chapel?" He said not. I said, "How can we be sure if the blessing goes through the saran wrap then?"

Your comment made me laugh! The Mormon version of prayer is like logging on to a computer--if it doesn't log on it must mean the answer is no.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 02:42PM by forestpal.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:41PM

I love it!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:44PM

Man, I must have been one unworthy baby--Thank God.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:48PM

Mr. Eisenhower was the U.S. President, with Mr. Nixon as the VP.
David. O. McKay was the church president. The mormonism of my youth is now considered anti-mormon lies, so it's okay my baby blessing didn't turn out as planned, either.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 02:49PM

Primus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So they were holding a Slow and Testimony meeting
> today.

Actually I would call that a SLOW and testiPHONY meeting, bwaa haa haa. (put in icon of little devil and stretch smile here)

> On another similar topic, a lady said something so
> stupid during her testimony, I had to bit my lip
> not to burst out laughing.
>
> "We have the most powerful wireless system on the
> planet, guaranteed to do marvelous things...it's
> called prayer."

I have another wireless device that helps me access loads of information. It's a library card. By using it and reading the REAL history of TSCC, I can do great and marvelous things to protect my upper brain, bwaa haa haa.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.