Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:05PM

TBM DW has been assigned a sacrament meeting talk on responsible use of the internet.
Is this happening in other places as well?
Evidence of worries about the internet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:09PM

I would love to give this talk. I would talk about how I did some research for the talk by googling 'Joseph Smith'. Then I would describe some of the faith demoting info that I found. Then I would basically say that sure, JS did these things, but when the antis spin it negatively, it sounds a lot worse than it really is. If your wife is on board, she could have a lot of fun with this topic.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:17PM

When using family search or ancestry do not look up the names of the prophets wives. Do not read Ensign articles on the church website that were printed before 1980. Avoid all websites about Mayans, Incas, Olmecs, or generally any history of Native Americans.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:27PM

Talks are typically assigned by the bishop at his discretion.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:31PM

Wow! This talk should be good :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 11:28AM

I remember being asked to give a talk in SM about my experiences at Ricks back in the 60's. The congregation probably expected me to talk about what a wonderful educational experience it was and of my spiritual growth being surrounded by good Mormon young people, but I fooled them and talked about the water and towel fights in the dorm and drag racing in the parking lot....they didn't look pleased with me....oh well....

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 09:22PM

Do you remember the yearbook photo of a joint that was slipped in or was that after your time? I saw it in 1971 but don't recall which year it appeared.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:57AM

After my time Bicentennial Ex, didn't hear of any weed at Ricks in '66-'67.....just kids getting kicked out for partying out by the big "R" with beer.....if the honor council Nazi's had known what was happenin' on 3rd North Ensign Hall, me and a few others would a been headed home too....

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 07:53PM

He said she's TBM. My guess is that the actual talk is going to read like someone talking about something they don't actually know anything about, and be depressing or at least discouraging.

On the other hand, it might be a good opener? I don't know. Good luck benvolio.

How do you think it will go?

Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 07:57PM

Maybe he can give a PowerPoint presentation with examples

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 09:28PM

My SIL once said to me that when she needs information, she can go online and look it up, but she would never go to the internet to find out anything. Seriously, I kid you not.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 09:51AM

My SIL once said to me that when she needs transportation, she can get in her car, but she would never go anywhere in an automobile?

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 10:28PM

The SLC crew ain't no dummies. They know them infernal internets are slowly eroding their control...

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 04:14PM

+1

Posted by: Anonski ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 11:58AM

Before using the internet, pray that the spirit will guide you toward righteous sites. If you accidentally google something that your Heavenly Father would be uncomfortable viewing, immediately press "x". Accidents do happen, and looking once for a brief glimpse to identify that which is unclean is only human, but anything more than a glimpse is a sin. It destroys the sacred communication of the spirit. Even that which appears only slightly immoral, for example, a woman in a swimsuit, can only lead to more sin. Do not google anything from a nonapproved source. Only the church knows the true facts behind it's history. Antimormons distort history...blah blah blah.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 12:13PM

I pray to the Google God religiously, and Google God always answers every prayer.

It's up to me whether I believe what Google God tells me initially, or if I have to refine my prayers for more specificity.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 09:45PM

Don't forget about his son "Ask Jeeves

Posted by: Chris Deanna ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 05:39PM

Posted by: libertad ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:51AM

Please tell us how your talk goes!,

I have a question. How do they decide who talks on what? Is every ward talking about the same thing each Sunday like the lesson manuals. When I was about 19 I bought a red sports car, it was pretty flashy. A week later they asked me to give a talk about living in the world but not of the world. I kinda felt like they were teaching me a lesson, maybe scold me a little. But I said no thanks I don't give talks tell me mom she will do it for you.

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:58AM

All the believer needs is to find 2 conference talks on it in the enzyme, then they can give a sacrament meeting report on the two talks, commingle a little bit of the BoM and presto! A talk that is about nothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.