Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous Coward ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 02:24PM

hi,

I participated in Anagrammy's thread about Paul/Jesus and since then have done a lot more research. As a result I've discovered a whole lot of information and questions which I can't find sufficient explanation in the research I've looked into, and I wonder if you'd have time to look over it?
It's about 170 pages long though.

I discussed it with a friend who has no religious history and therefore not much feedback, and she suggested I send it to her daughter, who is an agnostic/atheist majoring in theology, and her boyfriend is majoring in Roman history. Problem is that I don't know her daughter and wondered if you could just review it before hand?

The nature of the material has also made it an editing nightmare and I've given up after 5 editing attempts.
Due to its length I'd have to email it to you.
my email is
elainecalson@yahoo.ca

thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:06AM

I'd like to see it, too.

Send it to me at anagrammy at gmail

Thanks!

Ana

Posted by: anonymous coward ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:38PM

I will send it to you Anagramy.
For years I had a gut impression that it was all a Roman construct, but didn't care enough to research it.
You really sent me on a fascinating few months of questioning and I have questions that I have not been able to find answers for, with a number of leads that cause me to think it was indeed a Roman construct. I ferretted out a few very important pieces of information that hasn't been brought up before.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:39PM

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:40PM

haha

Date: June 01, 2012 03:37PM

hey, don't laugh, thanks to your "regular" posts my brain became rattled from it's cultural cage.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:57PM

I don't know the nature of your questions, but Bart D. Ehrman has done a ton of research on early Christianity and has published a plethora of well-written, easy-to-read books on the subject. He used to be an evangelical christian, went to school with the intention of becoming a professional bible-thumper, and ended up studying his way out of Christianity and theism altogether. I'd recommend his book "Misquoting Jesus."

Date: June 02, 2012 02:19AM

During the course of the now closed thread, someone else suggested Bart and at the end of my research I decided to read up on him.
I reviewed his book, Historical Jesus, and discussed it at the end of my article.

I'm not at all impressed with Bart.

Some of the conclusions he draws have absolutely no support, only his assumptions and beliefs and those are such extreme stretches that it saddens me to think he is a credited historian.

He has a misguided label of himself as an agnostic. He isn't agnostic, he deeply believes there was a historical Jesus even though he has no support for his claims what-so-ever. That's not agnostic. He knows there is information that lacks validation and tries to defend it through such sad methods. He also uses a few examples but doesn't thoroughly research them. For example, he uses Appolonius as an example of Jesus. I knew nothing of Appolonius so I researched him. Came to find out that there is a great deal indicating that Appolonius was an anti-christian creation to counter the Jesus story. I wrote about the information I researched in my article. Bart neglected to include such information and for any of his faithful readers who did not research it you would be left to believe Bart's information as correct. This is only one example of fully rounded information which he ommitted.

I was appalled quite frankly, and a few times reading his book I was sick to my stomach in the same way I wanted to vomit when I began reading about mormon truths on exmormon.org many years ago.
I think the more accurate label for Bart's beliefs would be one of a confused christian who still defends Jesus, but in a non-traditional method.
I couldn't finish reading his book. I had to stop.

I'll try to link some of my review of his book in this thread.

Date: June 02, 2012 03:22AM

Here is my review of Bart's book, Historical Jesus.
It is at the end of my article and I refer to some points made in my research throughout my review. My article is too long to post the entirety of it on this thread.
It's also only been edited once and it is an editing nightmare, but it gets my point explained.

My review about Bart was in response to RobertB and Bona Dea from a discussion about Roman backed history, Paul, Jesus and all parts in between.

-------------------------------
Robert B said: Bart Ehrman did a lecture series on The Historical Jesus.

You can download it free here:

http://www.archive.org/details/HistoricalJesus

In the course of the series he provides explanations of how Biblical history evaluate New Testment writings and how they determine what seems to be authentic from what is not.

He argues for a historical Jesus and provides his reasons for doing so. He is agnostic, according to Wikipedia.
---------------------------------------------------------

I write in response to Robert and Bona Dea: Both of you highly regard Bart Ehrman’s comments. It’s unfortunate that your audio download isn’t a transcript which I can quickly read, but instead an audio which is going to take me forever to listen to. It would be helpful if his audio was also transcripted where I could spend 5 minutes to read through it rather than 30 minutes to listen to each audio. I have found the book pdf on the website and downloaded his book the New testament and will scan through it.

http://www.archive.org/details/HistoricalJesus

First, before I read and listen to the link I would like to reply to your introduction of Ehrman as an agnostic. I’m not sure if that label is intended to lend him credibility to the skeptic questioner and form a bond of mutual understanding as a criteria for his opinions, or if it is the only label he can come up with to describe his particular sense of confusion? The label does nothing for me and here’s why…. Many people claim they are agnostic, meaning, they don’t know, but in the end they have either conscious, or more often SUBconscious cultural links that predisposes them to formulate an opinion leading toward cultural allegiance and training, in spite of glaring absence of proof or information that would tip the scale in another direction. Many people interchange the word agnostic for confused. As in the case of many theologians I see them resist questioning the obvious absences in favor of saying the absence of evidence indicates that it may be correct and true, and then use such authors as Roman backed Josephus or Pliny, or the n.t., as a reference of extant texts to validate a story that they and others connected with them wrote. I am not concerned if a person claims they don’t know, if in fact they are revealed to actually care about it all. If they tell me they don’t care I would be more interested. I have come to a place in my life where I really don’t care, as I have long since released a need for a savior messiah figure of my cultural upbringing; I am only interested in asking questions and looking at information or lack of information. In this case my questions and research has taken on a life its own, as one question led to another and formulated something of a storyline where patterns emerged; a storyline which there is more historical proof to validate than that of a Roman backed Jesus whose information and lack of information causes me to suspect that he did not exist. I wasn’t trying for an alternative theory, it happened to take shape in the middle of research as I looked at similarities and common threads throughout and absence of pertinent information, time-lines and authorship of the information. As the same similar themes and names popped up over and over as I noticed a pattern emerge this information causes me to question if it is a storyline that did exist and makes me highly suspicious and question the extant texts which are Roman backed, and which have been used for millennia as the reference to validate the era. So far I can see no evidence to lean toward a Jewish Messiah Jesus that isn’t Roman backed or verified using Roman backed literature. This is the problem.

Unless Ehrman is privy to non-Roman backed information that eludes the rest of the world then I think his opinions are not unbiased toward NOT knowing, but biased toward supporting a possibility of a messiah Jesus who did exist even though no non-Roman backed info is present to support it. This means to me that he will have to bend like a pretzel to create an amount of proof or story where there simply isn’t any, and read stories where there simply isn’t any non-Roman proof, but where there is more historical evidence against. When I read Bart’s book I will see if that is the case. I will see just how open Ehrman is to question, but I will warn you, my years uncovering the painful deception behind Mormonism has made me tough as an eagle ferretting out a weasel for lunch. I am not quick to accept stories that placate when there is more evidence to the contrary. I have nothing to protect or fear. I will certainly scrutinize every aspect of his statements and offer my own opinion of his opinions as I read his book. So far, the one verse I read appears that he is wrapped up in the analogies of the corruption of the christian church -- supposing that there was a pure Christian church origin from which to corrupt!!! He has already made his statement based on that phrase. How can he then backtrack and ask questions that might invalidate his analogy that it was corrupted? I will look at ways in which he backtracks. He is not agnostic as in “he doesn’t know”! He has an opinion that it was corrupted from something pure, which is likely why he insists that there could have been a man messiah Jesus to corroborate his opinion that it was originally pure and uncorrupt. THAT is what I have yet to see evidence of based on dates, time-lines, incidents, Roman backed texts vs absence of non-Roman backed texts.

…doing a little research on Ehrman, and excerpt from the below link:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/blogalogue/2008/04/why-suffering-is-gods-problem.html#ixzz1r9ISu7cB

A strong evangelical christian he was concerned about suffering… >>quote Bart: ……Where millions of children are born with horrible birth defects. And where is God? To say that he (God) eventually will make right all that is wrong seems to me, now, to be pure wishful thinking.
As it turns out, my various wrestlings with the problem have led me, even as an agnostic, back to the Bible, to see how different biblical authors wrestle with this, the greatest of all human questions. The result is my recent book, God’s Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question–Why We Suffer. My contention is that many of the authors of the Bible are wrestling with just this question: why do people (especially the people of God) suffer? The biblical answers are striking at times for their simplicity and power (suffering comes as a punishment from God for sin; suffering is a test of faith; suffering is created by cosmic powers aligned against God and his people; suffering is a huge mystery and we have no right to question why it happens; suffering is redemptive and is the means by which God brings salvation; and so on). Some of these answers are at odds with one another (is it God or his cosmic enemies who are creating havoc on earth?), yet many of them continue to inform religious thinkers today.
My hope in writing the book is certainly not to encourage readers to become agnostic, the path that I took. It is instead to help people think, both about this biggest of all possible questions and about the historically and culturally significant religious responses to it that can be found in the most important book in the history of our civilization. >>end quote.

I’m not sure if my comments will come off sounding harsh, and I don’t mean them to be, I don’t know how to delicately disagree with him and discover how he is hoodwinking himself that he is agnostic but I will try while pointing out the problem I see in his approach. His last sentence, which I put in italics, states his belief that the bible is the most important book in the history of our civilization. That explains why he is reluctant to let go of a belief that Jesus didn’t exist in spite of lack of evidence to verify his stance and more evidence to question it altogether ---- if he were to assert that there is no evidence to point to Jesus and therefor no virgin or pure origin but the Romans agenda to Romanize Jews, what would become of his beloved “most important book”? For his book to remain the most important there has to be a possibility that it’s true. I will see how he attempts to convince his reader and himself of that in his opinion that there likely was a historical Jesus. Would hismost important book become important for the deceptive lies that hoodwinked 2 millennia of generations in the name of god/Messiah? Would it become an example of the devious religious nature of political control in the name of God? I see the same problem with believing Mormons who begin to question the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and reconcile their traditional belief and claim that the book of Mormon is the most important and correct book in history – in the world. A psychological process begins to take shape surrounding the fragmented components of a traditional belief system – rectifying it, making sense of it, discarding some things while holding on to others. Underneath it all is fear and I smell the same intense fear in Ehrman’s “agnostic” dealings as he tries to make sense of the errors while holding on to some glimmer of traditional hope possibility. I would not recognize it if I haven’t seen it in Mormonism countless times and went through it to some degree myself as I sorted it all out. This is what I mean by saying that Ehrman can claim he’s agnostic until the proverbial cows come home, his statements and allegiance shines through every sentence, his pain screams in agony with every paragraph. It is no wonder he cannot allow himself to find fault with the big questions concerning the big issues of Jesus and remains protective of defending a man named Jesus; tiptoeing around it all by using analogies which have no relevance anywhere but his own justification to support it in the name of agnosticism? I will see how he manages to point out the errors while still maintaining his firm opinion of a historical Jesus. Acknowledging the weighty information he can’t discount while still holding out for hope in an historical Jesus based on literature that indeed had a Roman agenda. He can debate authors and misery but he cannot let go of the glimmering bit of hope of WHAT-if Jesus were real, even though there is not any corroborating information to back him that isn’t Roman aligned. It’s quite sad really. Now I will read his information with a far better understanding of why he can’t let go of Jesus in spite of his mind game he insists on playing with himself that he is agnostic. He does not know that Jesus did not exist….he supports that Jesus DID exist based on a lack of evidence – in view of evidence that would suggest contrary. He is not agnostic about Jesus. Sorry, he is just confused hiding behind labels.

Bart D. Ehrman suggests that this "seduction of a virgin" was a metaphor for his corruption of the Christian Church, with the Church portrayed as the undefiled virgin.
He sounds like Philo’s comparison to circumcision of the heart, which softened many Grecian and Romans view of circumcision in Philo’s Grecian agenda to Hellenize the Jews. In this way is Bart consciously attempting to soften the hearts of the unbelievers who find many contradictions in the Roman backed literature or cannot find evidence of a historical Jesus in any other texts but Roman backed texts…. or in view of his above excerpt concerning his lack of faith and knowledge is his interest to turn again to the bible to find solace in believers an unconscious or conscious attempt to soften his own heart which has gone through the proverbial wringer attempting to salvage some remains of his former evangelical beliefs and cultural upbringing?

Link to Misquoting Jesus:
http://archive.org/stream/Prof.BartEhrman-MisquotingJesus/BartD.Ehrman-MisquotingJesus#page/n3/mode/2up

http://archive.org/details/Prof.BartEhrman-MisquotingJesus

Link to Historical Jesus:
http://archive.org/details/BartEhrman-TheNewTestament-AHistoricalIntroductionToTheEarly
(pdf download on the left side of the page)

Chapter 1 of Historical Jesus – the new testament sees Bart beginning by discussing the christian varieties based on the end of the 2nd century and going backward. I previously reviewed these concerns in my article related to Peter/Paul’s era, the pre-christian beliefs and the lack of structure the alleged disciples of Jesus gave to their era, and era’s one century and two centuries proceeding them, plus the questions and concerns those variations bring up in view of the Messiah coming to teach and organize his truth/church in that era through himself and his disciples. So far he’s discussing the variety of early christians as those in the 1st and 2nd centuries. He’s only basing his references on Roman backed literature. Does Bart address these questions from my article or does he focus on the maze on confusion and use Roman backed literature to support him? We shall see…..

Pg 4 Bart asserts that the 2nd century christians didn’t have our n.t. canon, based on the Christian sect called “adaptionists” disagreement with Paul’s canon as blasphemy, which claims Christ brought an end to the Jewish laws. I’m not sure how he comes to that conclusion because he doesn’t explain himself.
If they didn’t have Paul’s text in the 2nd century, is Clement1’s approval of Paul’s text in 95ce a later insert? How does this translate to Bart’s belief there was an original Jesus story passed orally? Bart fails to address the elephant in the room by explaining how he believes this links to a Historical Jesus. In that era the confusion was an extension of various hellenized concepts, Platoisms that were prevalent, and in the era of the 2nd century Romanized concepts which no one could get “right” until the church backed Justyn Martyrs theories, discarding other varieties. Bart glosses over the deep questions. Where is Bart’s evidence that there was a correct church from the beginning of Jesus via Paul, when in Paul’s confusion he reportedly (by Roman texts) went to Peter and the other disciples in Judea and got instruction. Are we to believe that the lot of them were complete idiots void of any ability to get clarity on the doctrine that Jesus told his disciples to preach? Since Jesus told them to preach the doctrine we must assume that Jesus knew he had taught them his doctrine to a point that they sufficiently understood enough to go and preach it.

Bart claims that based on this, the 2nd century christians did not have the same canon. I say, based on the on-going varieties and early lack of clarity, there never was an early set of Jesus instruction or canon. I would agree that it came later, but that there was no Jesus story disciples preaching Jesus information. To claim otherwise is to paint a story that just isn’t there and has no text other than Roman to support it, and that text is in places over a century later and confused. There is no proof to back an early Jesus doctrine preached, but more to indicate a lack thereof based on n.t. and non-Roman absence of information. The information we do have is contradictory and confusing, which explains the early Pauline confusion if you open to the question of whether or not Jesus truth doctrines did in fact exist in Jesus era.

Bart notices the second century christian flourishing in Antioch under Marcion’s concepts, which would date the christianity to Antioch correctly to its appropriate century, even though Paul says he and Peter converted Jews in the decades after Jesus crucifixion. Again, if we accept Roman texts that Antioch was filled with Marcion christian adaptionists, what became of Peter’s original uncorrupt system which Bart likes to claim existed? Where did it go? What was it? There is NO record of it anywhere as Rome quickly said that Peter was the first bishop and Rome built its rock on his Jewish authority, later picking and choosing what doctrines to canonize from the 2nd century ce. The only information we really have is comments that the Jews didn’t want to lose their circumcision and other rituals, yet this was an on-going old issue which was not at all new to the Christian dilemma, showing us that Paul’s attempt to convert Jews did not go over well, as in the same on-going battle to convert Jews to Grecian beliefs. Even Marcion believed that “heretics” modified information and inserted ideas. This was clearly a problem at that time.

The fact that Bart is not willing to address some of the problems here is misleading people with only partial information that could color their opinions and views based on only the information he is giving them, which again, is roman backed information. Unless a reader does their own research they will accept Bart’s as correct – and many readers have.
He is approaching the real part of christianity from the 2nd century and establishing a reality base by moving backward from that era. If he did it the other way around, going from the pre-Jesus era and move forward, it would crumble to pieces very quickly. Of course he knows this, which is obviously why he lumps the entire 2 and 3 centuries together as “early christians” and starts with what is known moving back to the unknown. It lends more credibility to his position of a Historical Jesus. His backward method sets a realism in the mind which becomes difficult to un-do into the earlier generations, even though there is no reality-based information from Jesus era. This is what confuses modern day christians as they have been taught a ‘reality’ format and have trouble back-tracking out of it to a time where they can seriously look at the absence of evidence corroborating a pure christ/Jesus beginning – which is then not surprising that these types, like Bart, prefer to say it’s possible that Jesus existed. It is a mind game to validate the testimony or belief which they already have, and an attempt to at least not to rock its boat too much to upset it altogether.

Again, he uses new testament literature as a knowledge of early christian literature (being vague in the placement of the term early by lumping it into the 1st and 2nd centuries) in a way that does not address the Roman backed concern, (as I looked at in my article) but uses it to verify christianity by saying, “we know that Jesus said, this, or that.” Bart has already made up his mind. Bart says that the Jewish tradition had written work as opposed to the Roman tradition which did not, but again fails to explain why no Jewish texts comment on it. Bart’s references are therefore biased to support his theory that a historical Jesus likely did exist because he uses Roman backed writing to reference and validate it in spite of the more lack of evidence to make it non-valid.

Then Bart, and those who support Bart, introduce a label of agnosticism, interchanging this for the more accurate label of confusion and lack of mental honesty. I see the same cognitive dissonance examples in Mormon confusion and apologetics. Sadly he has written a book that asks enough questions to support his lack of knowledge but fails to link the obvious questions to a sure knowledge which would take him out of an agnostic perspective and tip him into one of having more information/evidence to indicate contrary to his belief. The mind and emotions are indeed a tricky thing when defending cultural belief systems.

As I continue to read on I notice again that he is misleading by using the term “early christianity was extremely diverse” to reference christianity of the 2nd century, which was not early christianity, it would have been 2 hundred years removed from Jesus and more accurately termed “later” christianity. It becomes clear why Bart is confused as he blurs it in a way that focuses on a “later” period as an “early” period. It is not surprising to see readers of his information on this forum erroneously parrot Bart’s words saying “there were a lot of varying christian groups around in early christianity” without causing the reader to clearly distinguish between 2 hundred years after Jesus as opposed to Jesus era.

Instead Bart quickly diverts this by saying that the most important aspect of the canon is that the new testament books are typically read as standing in essential harmony with one another. He mentions that some scholars see glaring differences but asserts that we cannot expect Paul, John or Mathew to have similar opinions. Much later he points out some of the differences, but has already previously asserted his opinion that they are in harmony and by doing so he has previously planted this belief in people’s mind. If a person studies the art of mind programming they can see how a person’s mind can be swayed to believe something based on pre-suggestion methods. Whether Bart is consciously aware of doing this or not is irrelevant to the fact that he is doing just that. Many of his readers, like Robert and Bona Dea, cannot see this pattern and question it in any way that would cause them to lose their hope in a historic Jesus. This is the format set-up which has worked well for Bart. He has chosen his focus and how to present it in a way that would keep the focus as a foundation even though he veers off asking a few piercing questions…. again it explains where he stands.

Why can’t we expect Paul, John or Mathew to have similar opinions if any of them were taught by Jesus disciples and KNEW what Jesus opinion actually was!! No, from very early days of Paul there was confusion. Bart can defend it any way he likes but it just doesn’t change the fact that Jesus allegedly taught/preached and instructed masses of people, specifically his disciples in the TRUTH to send them out to teach it; yet there was too much confusion from the disciples to indicate that there was actually truth and clarity from the disciples. Where did that Jesus truth go so quickly? Why isn’t Bart commenting on this issue instead of saying that it’s reasonable for different people to have different opinions? Accepting a theory that 12 people (disciples of Jesus) can listen to the same story and all have different views of it is a tremendously unreasonable request to ask under this particular heavenly God inspired and heavenly guided condition and circumstance.

Bart continues to support and buffer the Christian believers by tip-toeing over possibilities as to how a Christian committed to the bible can affirm that the authors have a wide range of perspectives that sometimes disagree with one another. In the process he cushions his own concern and buffers it as well. Is Bart’s work nothing but an attempt to rectify in his own mind as to how so many disagreements and contradictions can still support a possibility of a historical Jesus, which is the stance he likes to adopt? If that is the case he certainly is succeeding in his written approach.

Bart then quickly goes on to say that this book (the new testament) is used as a cultural artifact to document history. It’s a pity he isn’t more skeptical as to the origin of such Roman backed history, as his comments will, and have, caused him to refer to it in a manner that is a source of confusion which echoes in his every paragraph.

It’s also interesting that Bart says that historians can use their information to tell you what happened in history but can’t influence the reader, by saying for example, Ghandi was right and Luther was wrong. Doesn’t he realize that by drawing a conclusion that Jesus existed, even though there is more evidence and indication contrary, has already put him in violation of his own mission statement? Does he somehow think that claiming he is agnostic will erase in people’s minds the fact that he supports a “likely” historical Jesus in spite of no evidence to support it? It has worked on many of these forum posters who believe just that and therefore hold Bart up as the great agnostic who also believes that there was “likely” a historical Jesus!

A few pages further Bart now writes that he is “not going to persuade you that Jesus was or was not the son of God, but try to explain what he said and did based on the historical data available.” (no mention of the Roman backed data vs the non-roman backed data – he is using the Roman texts as reference points to ascertain information!!! This is the egregious error I’m talking about and Bart is doing it and continues to do it throughout his book!)

On page 14 Bart says further, “I am not going to discuss whether the bible is or is not the inspired word of God; I will show how we got this collection of books and indicate what they say and reflect on how scholars have interpreted them. This kind of information may or may not be of some use to the reader who happens to be a believer, but it will certainly be useful to one who is interested in history, especially the history of early Christianity and its literature.”>>end quote.

In my opinion he doesn’t do a well-rounded, thorough or unbiased job of this.

Let me offer another example when Bart draws references from the n.t. to document Jesus.
>>quote Bart: The problem with beginning with Jesus is that we do not have any writings from him, and the gospels that record his words and deeds were written long after the fact, indeed, even after Paul. To be sure, during Paul’s lifetime Christians were talking – and some perhaps even writing – about Jesus, telling what he said and did, recounting his conflicts and explaining his fate. Unfortunately, we do not have direct access to these older traditions. We know them only insofar as they were written down later, especially in the Gospels. This means, somewhat ironically, that if we want to begin with the earliest and most important figure in the new testament, we have to start with the documents that were written relatively late. >>end quote.

Is this Bart’s attempt to show how we got this collection of books? His assertion that TO BE SURE CHRISTIANS WERE writing and talking about Jesus accounts, explaining his fate, is Bart’s own fantasy based on his acceptance of some of the Roman backed texts that would support that while omitting other of the Roman backed texts that would suggest otherwise. On one hand he accepts that there were no current documents of Jesus other than the Gospels, but he dreams out of thin air, with no support at all, that HE IS SURE people MUST have been talking and even writing about Jesus otherwise there would be no texts written about a man who did not exist. Since there are texts written about this man (Roman backed) he must have existed.

I mean no disrespect when I say these things. I’m trying to analyze the information and not the author, but in this case it’s rather difficult for me as I see how the psychological religious traditions, and its effects on the author, colors his position and makes the information nonsense in some cases. It is really hard to believe that a best-selling historian wrote this book, but when I realize what a stronghold the Christian belief system has on people and how they want to accept anything from a man with letters behind his name just so long as it doesn’t rock their boat too much and affect their belief system.

I can see where the conflict for Bart moves away from history and enters that troublesome religious psychological arena where many enter in, which is that they have a conscious or unconscious psychological investment in the topic and do their best to keep that intact. This surely explains why Bart cannot ask deep questions that would counter his belief. The best Bart can do is say he doesn’t know while simultaneously claiming he does know that there likely was a historical Jesus.

In the next breath he says that “we do not have access to the older traditions.” How can he make a claim that there were oral stories about Jesus with no information to back him, and the information he does have is Roman based and backed and in the next sentence write that we do not have access to the older traditions? This is another example of more of a psychological study in religious programming rather than a historical study questioning Jesus. This is another reason to show how, or why, he is obviously confused about his inability to know (agnosticism) with his stance that there was “likely” a historical figure Jesus. The 2 camps do not make sense and yet they play out like a fantastical confusion in his written text…unfortunately it also appeals to appease and validate the confused minds of millions of readers who eat it up and put him on the best sellers list!! He CANNOT be SURE, there is no documentation to support his claim “to be sure people were writing and talking of the events and fate of Jesus! This flies in the face of his earlier claim as to how a historian should write and respond. Bart has told the reader what he believes in a very subtle and confusing manner if they have the ability to recognize his confusion rather than his label of agnosticism. It’s one thing for me to tell a person my opinion, I’m not a scholar writing a book on the best sellers list and influencing millions! I’m simply writing questions and various ideas around those questions that stand out to form a pattern and sharing it on an exmormon forum . It’s another thing for Bart, a best selling historian, to claim that the stories about Jesus were PROBABLY common sense to people in that era, which may be foreign to us now. That’s a huge assumption to link his idea of a jesus with the fact that there is no extant text to back it up other than Roman group backed.

A few paragraphs later Bart writes: <<quote Bart: In the early Christian world, there was no such thing as a middle class as we know it, let alone a Protestant work ethic, with all of its promises of education and prosperity for those who labor hard. In that world, only a few persons belonged to the upper class and nearly everyone else was in the lower. Few people had any hope for social mobility, slaves made up perhaps a third of the total population in major urban areas and many of the poor were worse off than the enslaved. Most people were uneducated and 90% could not read. Travel was slow and dangerous and long trips were rare; most people never ventured far from home during their lives. <<<end quote.

Date: June 02, 2012 03:23AM

continued....

Could he please tell me how he could gloss over the fact that there were no Jewish traditional records from that era about a Jewish Messiah man named Jesus who was poor, probably one of the 90% uneducated, plus did massive miracles and preached to multitudes while travelling around Judea in a time when Roman officers were posted everywhere? How could that go unnoticed by Jewish writers who were more prone to write than Romans? And yet Bart manages to overlook his own glaring proof that a man of that sort would have NOT gone unnoticed during that era? He admits there are no records other than n.t. gospels and yet he still insists he has some sort of proof that there was LIKELY a historical Jesus?

I’ll be quite frank with you, at this point Bart is scaring me. I’ve seen this type of brainwashed mind desperately grasping before in the form of Mormons who are defending their faith and make no sense in the process. His programmed culture cannot seem to catch up to the various facts he has discovered with absence of proof, yet it doesn’t stop him from making assertions of a historical Jesus when there is no evidence outside of later written Roman backed texts to support him. It is rather painful now to read his inner turmoil as he attempts to explain and grapple with his confliction and confusion while grasping at straws with no texts to back him.

Bart immediately goes on to compare the absence of Jesus texts with a Roman man named Apolonius Tyana. This is Bart’s example as to how other stories from that era could support and validate the Jesus story. It’s the clever manner in which he introduces his story about Apolonius that makes him thoroughly disingenuous; more like a dollar store novel writer than an actual historian, which is fine if he is writing a fictional dollar store novel, but he is not, he’s writing from a historic point of view. It might even be acceptable if he formed his questions in a manner that might deliver such a suspicion, and then give reasons for his suspicion based on his questions and evidence and motives, but he does not. He leads the reader to a story of a man who did all the same things Jesus did, roughly in his era, and while people think, or assume, that Bart is talking about the exact story of Jesus, at the end of the story he drops the bomb that his story is about Apollonius and ends it there. Is this Barts way of saying that there is record of a man called Apolonius who is identical to Jesus and none of you have heard about him, therefore it’s reasonable to conclude that no one would have heard about Jesus based on this similarity?

It seems to me that he has already decided and made up his mind and presents his information in a sneaky manner to get his point across to his reader – the point which he wants to get across, which is that because there was a man named Apollonius whom you have never heard of there was also a man named Jesus whom people spoke of. Again and again he goes against his own Historian writing criteria. Bart DOESN’T draw pros and cons, similarities and differences, Bart only draws similarities between Apolonius and Jesus, making his Roman theory the one he wants to back – and of course he does back it. I won’t go into looking at psychological reasons that drive people to fear in a presentation that backs itself up in this manner, but I will look at the lack of similarities that he has overlooked and failed to include.

They are as follows:

Being a 1st-century orator and philosopher around the time of Christ, Appolonius was compared with Jesus of Nazareth by Christians in the 4th century writers, Eusebius, who was Roman Christian backed and in league with Constantine. (*note the date in which Appolonius was written by Eusebius, centuries later.)

It has been previously indicated that these writers were known to fabricate stories and change them for their own purposes, yet this is the same Roman backed source that wrote the Jesus storyline and Bart fails to make the connection of unscrupulous activity in their storylines.

The writer who is credited for bringing the story of Apollonius forward is named Flavius Philostratus, a Grecian who moved to Rome. His earliest stories of Apollonius are written in 217 and 238ce, almost 2 centuries after Apollonius birth and during the extravagant writing work of the notable Clement2 of Alexandria (who I remind you achieved his goal of formulating the Jesus storyline with doctrine which is known for Roman Catholic doctrine to this day.) This dateline is extremely important to note as I will show why later.
According to Philostratus, Apollonius lived to be over ninety years old and died near the end of the first Christian century. Based on these texts, recent scholarship puts Apollonius’ life between approximately 40 - 120 ce.
The empress Julia Domna lived from 170–217ce and was from a Syrian family, thought to be of Arab descent, of the city of Emesa, in the eastern confines of the Roman empire where Apollonius hails. She commissioned Philostratus to write the life of Apollonius, which was completed sometime after Julia Domna’s death in 217. She was a member of the Severan dynasty of the Roman Empire. Empress and wife of Roman Emperor Lucius Septimius Severus and mother of Emperors Geta and Caracalla, Julia was among the most important women ever to exercise power behind the throne in the Roman Empire. Here we see again that all roads eventually lead back to Rome.

Philostratus says of his sources:
quote: “I have gathered my materials partly from the many cities that were devoted to him, partly from the shrines which he set right when their rules had fallen into neglect, partly from what others have said about him, and partly from his own letters....But my more detailed information I have gathered from a...man called Damis who...became a disciple of Apollonius and has left an account of his master's journeys, on which he claims to have accompanied him, and also an account of his sayings, speeches and predictions....I have also read the book by Maximus of Aegae, which contains all that Apollonius did there....But it is best to ignore the four books which Moeragenes composed about Apollonius, because of the great ignorance of their subject that they display.”

>>>quote: “As to the reliability of Philostratus’ work and the possibility of reconstructing an accurate historical picture of Apollonius of Tyana from it, modern historians generally agree that Philostratus fabricated much of his biography to please the expectations of his patroness. Such likely fabrications include the figure of Damis, the accounts of Apollonius’ encounters with several Roman emperors, and Apollonius’ journeys to India and Rome. Important to note is that he does not seem to have been known in Rome until the fourth century, when his legend became famous due to the controversy between Eusebius and Hierocles, which will be explained below. Philostratus himself was “a man of letters and a sophist full of passion for Greek Romance and for studies in rhetoric…hardly interested in the historical Apollonius.” >>end quote.

There are no works of Maximums and Moeragenes. They have not survived. There is a reference to Moeragenes’ work by Origen in his Contra Celsum, in which he mentions Moeragenes’ view that Apollonius was both a philosopher and a magician. It is difficult to use Origen to support this because it was written in 248ce, of the Roman connection, and backed by Eusebius who had a penchant for back inserts coinciding with Constantines papal/emperor status.

The earliest known mention of Apollonius is in Lucian’s Alexander sive Pseudomantis written in about 180 ce, in which he ridicules Alexander as a charlatan whose teacher had been a pupil of Apollonius.
Historical sources contemporary with Apollonius are silent about him, those remaining from the second century are sparse and fragmentary, and Philostratus’ biography written in the first half of the third century is unreliable. Furthermore, there is no body of extant works by Apollonius in Greek or in Syriac (at least ones considered to be authentic) to give us an accurate picture of his teachings. All that remains from the Greek is a collection of about one hundred of his letters, most quite short and some probably fabricated after his death. A fragment from a work of Balínús (Syrian meaning Apolonius) entitled Concerning Sacrifices found in Eusebius was probably translated into Greek, because Philostratus says that Apollonius wrote this book in his “own language,” Syriac. Given this state of affairs, revealing the true Apollonius is a formidable if not impossible task when one considers the Roman clergy association with it.

These are similarities Bart is drawing upon to compare to Jesus.

A number of facts we do have is that 1) all roads led back to Roman backed written and supported, 2) the information turns up centuries later with no knowledge of it during the alleged fact, 3)the Christian/anti-christian debate and fabrications surrounding that era are not mentioned by Bart in his influential best-seller summary to compare Apollonius with Jesus, 4) current historians and teachers, like Bart, use such material to validate their perspective of a historical Jesus while not offering all the information, in fact Bart uses his criteria to establish teaching methods to support his conclusion that Jesus is historical based on Apollonius failing to site the problems with that analysis.

- Philostratus era was rich in the Romanization of the Jews. Many scholars view his work as complete fiction, but there are those like Bart who apparently do not, and use it to support another man identical to Jesus yet coincidentally like Jesus was not known in his time but written about centuries later. In Philostratus’ description of Apollonius’ life and deeds there are a number of similarities with the life; especially the claimed miracles of Jesus. Perhaps this parallel was intentional.

However, in the late 3rd century Porphyry, an anti-Christian Neoplatonic philosopher, claimed in his treatise Against the Christians that the miracles of Jesus were not unique, and mentioned Apollonius as a non-Christian who had accomplished similar achievements. Around 300ce, (note: about a century after Philostratus books and Lucien Alexanders book, and almost 3 centuries after Apollonius birth) Roman authorities used the fame of Apollonius in their struggle to wipe out Christianity. Hierocles, one of the main instigators of the persecution of Christians in 303, wrote a pamphlet where he argued that Apollonius exceeded Christ as a wonder-worker and yet wasn’t worshipped as a god, and that the cultured biographers of Apollonius were more trustworthy than the uneducated apostles. This attempt to make Apollonius a hero of the anti-Christian movement provoked sharp replies from bishop Eusebius of Caesarea and from Lactantius. Eusebius wrote an extant reply to the pamphlet of Hierocles, where he claimed that Philostratus was a fabulist and fictional writer (a person who invents fairytales) and that Apollonius was a sorcerer in league with demons. This started a debate on the relative merits of Jesus and Apollonius that has gone on in different forms into modern times; continuing with Bart’s book. Whether Apollonius was real, or an anti-Christian construct to deter Christianity from the Roman emperor, or a fictional story who was later used in anti-Christian efforts, the only record we have is centuries later in a very suspect circumstance.

A key point I noticed being that Bart fails to mention this information in his clever manipulation reference story to support Jesus as real based on Appolonius being real. If I wanted to I could draw parallels of a Grecian from that era claiming that Zeus is real because Aphrodite is real. Again, it is easy for us to know that Grecian history is myth 2 millennia later after having understood the mythology of such characters, but not as easy when the Christian characters are claimed to be real people.

I would like to research the religious climate of the Severan dynasty of Rome during Julia Domna’s reign and consignment of the book by Philostratus. Were they anti-Christian? Julia’s Eastern ancestry might lead to an anti-christian agenda, I don’t know.

- Another person claims that “the figure of Apollonius of Tyana is associated with a story of an emerald tablet, and that it is reasonably certain that Apollonius was an historical figure, especially in view of a recent inscription at the Adana museum. (See below)

Extended title - Sirr al-Khalíqa wa San‘at at-Tabí‘at(The Secret of Creation and the Craft of Nature)This work was derived by Apollonius (in Arabic means Balínús) according to Jábir ibn Hayyán (722-815) from the Kitáb al-‘Ilal (The Book of Causes) of Hermes. It ranges from explaining the metaphysical origin of the universe to considerations on the ontological categories of the world and the nature of the human soul. The Arabic version of this book is no doubt based on an original written in Syriac, Balínús’ (Apollonius) native tongue. A Christian monk of Neapolis in Palestine named Sájiyús states that he translated the work (into Arabic?) "so that those who remain after me may have the benefit of reading it." - Balínús, Sirr al-Khalíqa wa San‘at at-Tabí‘at (Kitáb al-‘Ilal), ed. Ursula Weisser (Aleppo, Syria: University of Aleppo, 1979) p. 100 According to the account recorded in the introduction to the Sirr al-Khalíqa, Balínús discovered both the Emerald Tablet of Hermes and the "Book of Causes" while exploring a crypt beneath a statue of Hermes: "Thus, I found myself across from an old man seated upon a golden throne who was holding in his hand an emerald Tablet on which was written: “Here is the craft of nature.” And in front of him was a book on which was written: “Here is the secret of creation and the science of the causes of all things.” With complete trust I took the book [and the Tablet] and went out from the crypt. Thereafter, with the help of the book, I was able to learn the secrets of creation, and through the Tablet, I succeeded in understanding the craft of nature. - Balínús, Sirr al-Khalíqa, p.7. There is another story in Philostratus (viii, 19-20), where Apollonius enters a cave at the temple of Trophonius in Greece to visit its oracle, declaring that his purpose is "in the interests of philosophy." After seven days, he returns to his companions, carrying a book of philosophy supposedly conformable to the teachings of Pythagoras. Philostratus says that this book, along with the letters of Apollonius, was later entrusted to the care of the emperor Hadrian and kept in his palace at Antium.The full text of the Emerald Tablet can be found at the end of the Sirr al-Khalíqa.

It’s important to note a few points, the first is that the above credential is from the 8th century, almost 800 years after the alleged Apollonius and the writer is using them to validate authenticity of existence of Apollonia. People really use such later records to validate something 800 years earlier without looking at other extenuating circumstances, for example, the second note being Hermes Trismegistos was the fictional "hero" of the Corpus Hermeticum, an ancient set of pagan Gnostic writings, dating probably from the FIRST TWO CENTURIES CE. (as we already know, that era was a hotbed of Christian ideas that came centuries AFTER Jesus era. ) Hermes was supposed to have been an ancient sage who was shown the secrets of the universe by a daemon called Poimandres. People like Bart are actually using these later writings to validate earlier information to validate Jesus without taking into account the dateline, or the anti-Christian movement at that era, or the connection of Appolonius with earlier fictional heroes.

Tracing authenticity is interesting as one of the writers (who has a connection with the Great White Lodge which also works through the pyramid priesthood) was instructed to recover and return to the Great Pyramid the ancient tablets. This, after adventures which need not be detailed here, was accomplished. Before returning them, he was given permission to translate and retain a copy of the wisdom engraved on the tablets. This was done in 1925 and only now has permission been given for part to be published. The tablets are not real, but fictitious,surely it would have been known world wide of this discovery in 1925. These are the writings which are to confirm Apollonius/Balinus.

- It is true that there were magic men – or magician men – who often roamed the east. There still are. It was largely stifled in western Europe due to the Catholic involvement, and stifled in North America after such racketeering problems with Mormon Joseph Smith, and fear surrounding the Jones massacres and others. In the East the rules and laws are starting to become more restrictive, but these ancient cultures are still currently apparent in India and other eastern communities. Men and women are still often hailed as Godly, performing miracles, the most recent and famous from the late 19th century is perhaps India’s God-man named Sai Baba, whom upon investigation was a charlatan who convinced millions Indians and westerners alike that his tricks were real. A current female Hindu god-Woman named Amma of Kerala, who has known schizophrenic origins as a child who desired to be the goddess Kali, has been analyzed as a charlatan bilking her gullible followers out of millions of dollars. (I will cite references here later).

It apparently must be said for the sake of people like Bart, or others, that just because eastern tradition has many people esteemed as miracle workers does not mean they are, and certainly does not support Bart’s claim that people were talking about Apollonius like Jesus in an era of Jesus when the account of such “talking” began centuries later on both counts with previous connections to other storylines from an earlier era. These stories of God-men, magic men, are often magicians and charlatans with an agenda, and sometimes even men and women who believe they are god with a spiritual agenda, and are largely fictitious. However, even in India such stories of actual magic men were spoken of, and known of, during Jesus era and not suddenly first discovered and heard of hundreds of years afterward with no intermediary knowledge. This would indicate to me more on the side that Apollonius was a construct (an anti-christian construct ? which I would like to further check into) to mimic Jesus identically from the date to the exact details and documentation arriving on the scene centuries later written by a man who was backed by Rome AFTER the Vespasian era closed in the horrendous reign of the younger Vespasian, Emperor Domitian. It is too much of a stretch to consider Bart’s alternative theories of a real man named Apollonius, when the actual circumstances would indicate the contrary, especially when the time line are centuries after Apollonius and Jesus era and were locked in a Roman written agenda as anti or pro Jesus.

- Barts comparison with Jesus and Apollonius has another flaw he didn’t mention, or likely think of in his desire to support Jesus, and that is the issue Bart mentioned that Jews were more commonly known for at least verbal record whereas Romans were not. But what of the Syrian folks? Were they commonly known for verbal records? If so, why weren’t the records known until centuries later coincidentally connecting with Jesus? And more importantly, why does he compare it as a pro rather than a con when it still doesn’t explain why the Jews had no record of this messiah Jesus even though they would have known of his massive miracles, and by Bart’s admission verbalized them in their traditional way, as opposed to others who did not. Bart claims that Apollonius is evidence of Jesus because he lived at the same time, did identical things and was also not recorded until centuries later, but fails to mention the suspicious details surrounding that.

There is no mention of Apollonius from the Syrians who would have lived during Apollonius lifetime, and the datelines and circumstances are glaring as they arrive a few centuries after the era in the same manner in which the Romans created the Jesus storyline. Those similarities are apparent and yet Bart either doesn’t see them or chooses not to mention them. Is this to protect his defense in a historical Jesus? Again, it seems to turn into more of a psychological portrait of Bart’s fear processes as opposed to an actual historical account that is credible.

- an interesting thing is that when I looked at Bart’s sneaky inclusion of Apollonius to defend Jesus I just knew I was going to find a trace back to Rome written. This is the pattern that has come up over and over as my research started months ago, therefore it is not surprising whatsoever to me at this point; instead it is predicted. The thing that does surprise me is that best-seller historian authors are getting away with selling information that does not have full disclosure, but only partial disclosure in areas that only are used to defend their stance and position. (This is why many of my comments are repeated over and over, every time I research and a road leads directly back to Rome – with no other source evident - with supported timelines, dates and motives for Romanization of the Jews. Since there are so many identical patterns that pop up over and over, my words are repeated over and over. I only edited this article 2 times and decided to leave that repetition in so that it could pointed out how many times the association pops up and the obvious pattern that came forward as a result.)

On page 24 Bart compares people of that era’s belief in man as divine, using Alexander and emperors, and also Apollonia as examples of those beliefs. The problem with that is that there is record and account of Alexander and emperors dating to the era’s they lived in, but not of Apollonius or Jesus. Of course it would be common for citizens to accept a man as a divine God, the question is not that it wasn’t commonly done, the question is if the Gods in mention were actually real. Bart seems to lose sight of the goal as it becomes obfuscated in the mire of his sneaky defense of the storyline.

As I mentioned before, it is easier to determine obvious fantasy behind Gods like Zeus, even though as Bart mentioned the reason for Grecian use of invisible Gods was to instill more fear and threat through the unseen God aspect, making the Romanization technique of using an actual person far more practical. Even today such people like Bart claim that because Roman backed writers both wrote that these 2 men were Gods, and real life people, the object of the reality of the actual physical “person” is what confuses such people like Bart and others. This is also how Rome succeeded for millennia to convince people, focusing on the real man aspect. People have looked for thousands of years for evidence of a real life man named Jesus and because they cannot find any they submit that he could have lived. No such problem with Zeus. Intellect has caught up to Grecian myth and people realize that there is no such thing, but they are not wondering around Greece looking for human remains or artifacts supporting Zeus real life existence because a real body that lived on earth was never part of the Grecian mythology. People will not be satisfied until they find a real artifact of Jesus, and until then they will keep looking; holding out hope in the story being true…. Their cultural world depends on it.

Bart comments on the citizens need for a god to protect them from disease, starvation etc, but he doesn’t tell me how he relates that to a belief that Jesus actually was a real person. IF anything it is incriminating that Jesus wasn’t a real person, as the people had need for a god, which they found one way or another. In my article I describe the Jesus similarities to the ancient Egyptian beliefs from Kemmet, Egypt.

In the next sentence Bart mentions the belief in Emperors as savior, as he states the emperor Caligula from 38ce had inscribed that he was the God, visible, who was born of Gods Ares and Aphrodite, the savior of human life. Bart fails however to draw the obvious date association with the Jesus storyline as Jesus the Savior and he did not add the rest of the information from extant texts, which I included in my above research of Caligula. Whatever story Bart was trying to weave by giving tidbits of information, it seemed to work to convince many in the possibility of a historical Jesus. Yes, it was a well-known Roman concept, one used also by Caesar prior to Caligula. This was Roman belief. It all points to me as being a created belief based on concepts of that era. The Jewish Messiah belief deliverer concept was different than the Roman savior concept and yet it is the Roman savior concept that is recorded to Jesus, and one which Bart does not differentiate; to do so might point more evidence to a Roman myth rather than an actual Jewish person. It is within that Jewish system that presents the lack of information; and as I mentioned in my article the other Roman backed writers are suspicious in their group connection. The Jewish definition of a Messiah was a man more like a King deliverer, rather than a God, for that would be blasphemy. Maimonides, a Jewish Rabi who was born in Spain in 1135, and died in Egypt December 12, 1204, considered the cornerstone of Jewish scholarship writes about Jesus over a thousand years after his era, in his fourteen-volume Mishneh Torah which still carries canonical authority as a codification of Talmudic law:

>>quote Maimonides: As for Yeshua of Nazareth, who claimed to be the anointed one and was killed by the court, Daniel had already prophesied about him, thus: "And the children of your people's rebels shall raise themselves to set up prophecy and will stumble". Can there be a bigger stumbling block than this? All the Prophets said that the Anointed One saves Israel and rescues them, gathers their strayed ones and strengthens their mitzvot whereas this one caused the loss of Israel by sword, and to scatter their remnant and humiliate them, and to change the Torah and to cause most of the world to erroneously worship a god besides the Lord. But the human mind has no power to reach the thoughts of the Creator, for His thoughts and ways are unlike ours. All these matters of Jeshua of Nazareth and of the Ishmaelite who stood up after him (Mohammed) are only intended to pave the way for the Anointed King, and to mend the entire world to worship God together, thus: "For then I shall turn a clear tongue to the nations to call all in the Name of the Lord and to worship him with one shoulder.">>end quote.

The interesting thing is that there was no record of the court killing the rebel Jesus Messiah ONLY in Roman backed new testament writing, yet one thousand years later the only record this rabbi referenced is to the new testament and Roman backed literature as authority for accuracy in spite of Rome not having a habit of recording as opposed to Jews as having a better record.
Of course they are still looking for their Messiah.

Rabbi Jacobs (1920 - 2006) talks about Rabbi Akiba:
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/texts/Rabbinics/Talmud/Mishnah/Mishnah_and_its_Times/Rabbi_Akiba.shtml

>>quote Rabbi Jacobs: Rabbi Akiba was the foremost teacher of the Torah who lived in the second half of the first century and the first half of the second century C.E. As is the case with so many of the Tannaim and Amoraim, it is has proved difficult for historians to disentangle the facts of Akiba's life from the pious legends with which it is surrounded. Rabbi Akiba Akiba is also depicted as belonging to the mystical tradition in ancient Israel. Of the four sages who entered the Pardes (Paradise) Akiba alone is said to have emerged unscathed by the tremendous experience. Akiba is held to be of the utmost significance in laying the foundations of Rabbinic Judaism after the destruction of the Temple. He is the exemplar of complete devotion to the study, practice, and teaching of the Torah. He is described in the Talmud as "one of the fathers of the world."….. Akiba studied under Rabbi Eliezer and Rabbi Joshua and among his foremost disciples were Rabbi Judah, Rabbi Meir and Rabbi Simeon. Akiba is also acknowledged as an early compiler of teachings later used by Rabbi Judah the Prince in his compilation of the Mishnah. There is no doubt a kernel of truth in the accounts of Akiba acknowledging Bar Kochba (Simon ben Kosiba) as the Messiah and of him continuing to teach the Torah when it had been proscribed by the Roman authorities, for which he suffered a martyr's death, his soul expiring while he joyfully recited the shema.>>end quote.

>>quote Maimonides: Do not imagine that the anointed King must perform miracles and signs and create new things in the world or resurrect the dead and so on. The matter is not so: For Rabbi Akiba was a great scholar of the sages of the Mishnah, and he was the assistant-warrior of the king Ben Coziba, and claimed that he was the anointed king. He and all the Sages of his generation deemed him the anointed king, until he was killed by sins; only since he was killed, they knew that he was not. The Sages asked him neither a miracle nor a sign...
And if a king shall stand up from among the House of David, studying Torah and indulging in commandments like his father David, according to the written and oral Torah, and he will coerce all Israel to follow it and to strengthen its weak points, and will fight Hashem's wars, this one is to be treated as if he were the anointed one. If he succeeded {and won all nations surrounding him. Old prints and mss.} and built a Holy Temple in its proper place and gathered the strayed ones of Israel together, this is indeed the anointed one for certain, and he will mend the entire world to worship the Lord together, as it is stated: "For then I shall turn for the nations a clear tongue, to call all in the Name of the Lord and to worship Him with one shoulder" (Zephaniah 3:9).
[Added from mss.:]
But if he did not succeed until now, or if he was killed, it becomes known that he is not this one of whom the Torah had promised us, and he is indeed like all proper and wholesome kings of the House of David who died. The Holy One, Blessed Be He, only set him up to try the public by him, thus: "And from the seekers of wisdom there shall stumble, to purify among them and to clarify and to brighten until the time of the ending, for there is yet to the set time" (Daniel 11:35).>> end quote.

In the case of Rabbi Akiba there at least was pious legends. There were no such pious legends of Jesus during Jesus era as recorded by the Jews. They even listed Akiba’s rabbinical order. Even if Jesus were from a radical tribe one would think there would be a record based on the court and crucifixion of such a radical – but the records are empty.
Here we can point out that the Jewish scholars did have a record of Simon ben Kosiba/Kochba as a Jewish record, but not of Jesus the Messiah during Jesus era.

So far, the biggest problem in Bart’s writing, which I view as confusing, is his broad spectrum of the term “early” Christianity and his desire to support the Jesus storyline by using other material that has questionable authenticity and motivation as well, for example Apollonius or other comparisons which do not link his conclusion nor do they come from unquestionable texts. Although Bart does trace dates to 2nd and 3rd century he fails to mention that in connection with the Jesus/Paul era, but instead he assumes that during the Jesus Paul era people were talking about the life of Jesus. In this case we see how Bart’s random generalized and non-specific approach influenced writers on this very forum to claim that early christianity had many branches during Jesus time when early christianity/Jesus christianity did not – the branches of Christianity were almost a century later. There were branches of various belief systems but none of them used or resembled the Jesus Messiah concept. I can see how Bart has advanced that confusion by telling stories of the later Christian beliefs and mingling them with the Jesus era meshing them together without designating time frames to differentiate them. Forum members here trust Bart’s name and his claim of agnosticism and therefore hold him to some kind of pedestal of unbiased opinion, and believe his comments that there was “likely” a historical Jesus due to the many early Christian sects when those Christian sects Bart associates with Jesus era came centuries afterward, and his parallels of comparison have no texts to corroborate but are presumed assumptions. Is Bart doing this on purpose or is he genuinely blocking himself from recognizing his information errors in a psychological attempt to protect his potentiality for the Jesus character?

Bart continues to mesh the centuries together to refer to early christianity as he goes on to describe the Stoics, Platonists, and Epicureans stating how similar the ancient mysteries were to what we know about Christianity. Bart needs to study datelines in his comparisons as he is extremely misleading in his enmeshment. The problem with his associations is that Stoicism was founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium in the early 3rd century bce. I repeat, the early 3rd century bce, which was over two and a half centuries BEFORE Jesus and two centuries BEFORE Paul – the alleged origin of Christianity. If anything this would suggest that Christianity was a rip-off of these earlier belief systems.

Bart doesn’t differentiate between middle platoists and neo platoists either, he vaguely discusses their 300 year history without differentiating, which is extremely confusing for people who do not question Bart’s writing, (and apparently there are millions who do not) but accept his word as accurate. In this case it sounds like these beliefs he’s comparing have been around for hundreds of years and arrived before the Romanized version. In fact, in the third century, Plotinus recast Plato's system, establishing Neoplatonism, in which Middle Platonism was fused with oriental mysticism. Note, Neoplatonism was the 3rd century ce, which came after Basillides and Valentinus Roman clergy began influencing specific ideas blending Jewish theology with various ideas of that time. His failure to date these timelines makes the reader blur them together and assume that early christianity of Jesus/Pauls era was similar to Platonists and neo-platoinists that spanned a bc era of 300 years and 300 ce. The fact is that the two camps he’s discussing were not of Jesus/Pauls era, they were centuries earlier and later, and he meshes it all together as “early” christianity which is an attempt to validate the era of Jesus and Paul and confirm it. This is the type of misleading and unethical historical writing I would like to point out. To the contrary, many historians believe that Platonism influenced Christianity through Clement of Alexandria and Origen, (Cross, F. L., ed. The Oxford dictionary of the Christian church) and the Cappadocian Fathers. (Armstrong, A. H., ed., The Cambridge History of Later Greek and Early Medieval Philosophy ) St. Augustine was heavily influenced by Platonism as well, which he encountered through the Latin translations of Marius Victorinus of the works of Porphyry and/or Plotinus. (check where Valentinus and Basillides who were precursors of Clement2 and Origen, factor in the Neo-platonists influence.)

The other vague comparison to support and validate christianity as being similar to other beliefs at that time, using Epicureanism, has Bart witholding the date of Epicureanism. Epicureanism began in 300bce and it would be logical to reason that Christianity branched from there, not floated around at the same time era in a way that is quite misleading to Bart’s readers.

As I mentioned earlier, and in this case it’s worth repeating again, in my years of sorting out my Mormon indoctrination, and viewing others who have done the same, I have noticed a handful of patterns emerge among people as they flounder to make sense of the deception and teachings that were a traditional part of their culture. I see Bart fitting one of those patterns, even though he is approaching questions about christianity instead of mormonism, the similarities are striking! He approaches the information in a way that would assist him to believe, leaving out other pieces of information that might tip the scales. He acknowledges some glaring pieces of information that cannot be denied but sandwiches them between assumptions that he tries to pass off for explanations. His inability to question it thoroughly and view all information, leaving out certain pieces that might interfere or making far-fetched comparisons without delving into them properly, causes him to pick and choose what he wants to validate his position – which position I now am convinced was made beforehand, and his selective analysis and comparisons are there to validate his position that is already set. This is far from his misleading label of agnosticism. I’ve seen the psychological profile many times in mormonism – it is the same.

Bart discusses the persecution of the early Christians, but his term “early” as we’ve seen is a very broad spectrum spanning centuries. In his book of historical Jesus he does not try to trace the Jesus/Paul era persecution. He refers to the Essenes, as mentioned in Roman backed writing, as part of the KNOWN Jewish groups:

>>quote Bart: “we will consider the known Jewish groups, (e.g. the Pharisees, Saducees, and Essenes)…”>>end quote.

Bart trusts the documentation claiming essenes and claims they are “known” groups. The essenes were not known by the Judeans Jews, only known by writers involved in the Hellenization or Romanization of the Jews and this knowing is suspicious for reasons I’ve already mentioned. The Jews themselves did not know the group of thousands whom Philo, Josephus and Pliny wrote calling the Essenes. Perhaps this is evidence that if you tell someone something long enough they will all believe it without questioning. It worked for Mormonism and apparently for the Roman church as well. The sad thing is that this technique of programming propaganda still works today. For Bart to mislead the public like this is not cool. He either doesn’t agree with the position of no historical Jesus, or doesn’t want to agree with it, but either way he is not analyzing it in anyway fitting an established historian, having already accepted the Roman writings as accurate in reference to information that will validate his position that the Jesus Storyline existed.

On one hand early in his book he describes how 90% of the people were illiterate constituting the lower class. In his book he says that the Jews who left Judea likely didn’t speak Hebrew anymore, but the language of their new land. That’s fair enough, but how does he propose that a group of poor lower class Essenes living in Judea, speaking Aramaic, and as Bart also mentioned not likely literate, could leave a copic-greek document in the form of the naghamadi texts in Egypt, which support the essenic Jesus Storyline? He can’t and he doesn’t.

Bart writes that Jews in the first century believed in angels and had holy men from Jesus era, sighting a Rabbi Hanina ben Dosa of Jesus era, who was known to heal and cure the sick – praised as holy men. Bart then draws the comparison by saying,

>>quote Bart: “Thus the stories about Jesus, the miracle-working Son of God, would have made sense not only to pagans, who were familiar with accounts of divine men, but to Jews as well, whether in Palestine or the diaspora (areas outside of Palestine.)” >>end quote.

His comparison renders me entirely speechless! As a matter of fact, the more I read Bart, the more I have a sense of sickness in my stomach. This is the same sense of stomach sickness I had when I first read about Mormon apologists and the deception with Mormonism, how many tried to excuse and cover it up.
In any case, my stomach problems being as they may, Bart draws comparisons based on the Roman texts that claim Jesus lived. He fails to insert dates and timelines but instead blurs it all together. In this context Bart fails to note that the Jews recognized many holy Jewish men and REMEMBERED AND RECORDED THEM. They have no record of a man named Jesus of that Roman timeline. NONE! Nor do they have a record of a two thousand strong Essene group! Instead, in this segment Bart prefers to show that because the Jews did believe in Rabbis who performed miracles it isn’t out of the ordinary for Jesus to have done miracles and be believed to have done miracles. Sure, that could be believable if there was any Jewish record of his miracles which he did for the multitudes and gained massive fame except that no Jew had heard of him! Do you see how Bart’s apologetic mind is working? He wants the reader to connect the idea that because Jews did have Rabbis (whom they recorded) from Jesus era who did miracles the “”stories of Jesus, the miracle-working son of God, would have made sense to the Jews.” Sure, it would have made sense if they had ever heard of Him performing such miracles in crowds of thousands throughout Judea, but they did not hear of Jesus, they did not record Jesus, instead they recorded lesser Rabbis who performed lesser miracles – but no boy, or man named Jesus or Yeshua from that timeline whom the Romans backed! This is Bart’s information or evidence/proof to support that there could have been a historical Jesus? Because people would have been familiar with such stories? With so many miracles to multitudes, and court hearings plus crucifixion on a cross, how on earth did the Jews miss it when the same Jews would have been involved in the hearings to some degree? Bart’s comparisons are not impressing me at all.

Bart processes all his information from the end backwards saying, “to reach the beginning we have to start near the end.” In this way he sets the reader up for things that had clear evidence of writing, even though he fails to make the association of the writings being Roman backed, and once the idea of possibility is established with truth then he can go the difficult era of Jesus when there was no record and in various contexts forget to mention that there was no record. This is a disingenuous technique, but it does help to support his belief that there was “likely a historical Jesus.” It also explains how the Romans did missionary work. They took stories that were familiar to people of all belief systems, meshed them together and preached them almost a century after the alleged story was said to have happened. They preached in locations far from Judea and since the stories made sense to people many converted.

Ehrman 2004, p. 318 - >>quote Bart: "If the letter [1 Peter] is indeed associated with Asia Minor, as its prescript suggests, it should probably be assigned to the first century, possibly near its end, when persecution of the Christians was on the rise" >>end quote.

It is sad indeed that Bart believes that persecution was on the rise in first century. Many historians have denounced such an idea based on flaws I have mentioned in my article, but not Bart; to do so would jeopardize his hope in a historical Jesus.

In chapter 3, again Bart goes on to support the “conversations circulating” about Jesus based on Roman text writings. He believes that many of the verbal stories were passed on at the time of Jesus, based on the Roman texts. >>>quote: “At the same time, even though the Gospels themselves were written relatively late, they preserve traditions about Jesus that existed much earlier, many of them circulating among Christians long before Paul wrote his letters. >>end quote.

He keeps assuming that verbal stories about Jesus had to have been the source of Paul and later Roman texts; even though no Jewish mention of this man existed – only Roman. Again Bart chooses to accept the Roman texts as an accurate verification. He’s already previously painted an “early picture” of Jesus from the writings of the 2nd and 3rd century, now he is assuming that from these later writings there were earlier stories before Paul. Bart displays a type of historianship akin to the technique called, “God of the Gaps” only rather than using it in reference to God, Bart is using it in reference to Jesus. Bart might be applying a technique I could aptly call, “Jesus of the Gaps.” God of the gaps is a type of theological perspective in which gaps in knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence. Bart tries to explain how the anonymous authors of the n.t. acquired their stories about Jesus claiming that the anonymous writers, and others, acquired their information from Christians who had told stories about him, through oral traditions. That is the only way Bart can explain it and still uphold his belief. Unfortunately the method Bart uses to date the books are from Roman backed texts to affirm a Roman backed story; excluding the fact that there were no non-Roman texts or oral traditions about Jesus in context with information he wishes to support his theory. Rather than using the same writers information to support the idea that it was all a Roman created myth with an agenda almost a century later, and pawned off on innocents who lived far away from Judea, he prefers to fill in the gaps with ideas that he wishes to support.

Date: June 02, 2012 03:25AM

continued....

Bart says, >>.quote: “We should not assume that the Gospel accounts are necessarily unreliable simply because they are late, but the dates should give us pause. What was happening over these thirty, forty, fifty, or sixty years between Jesus’ death and the writing of the Gospels?” >>end quote.

First, this is assuming the 100 year later dating is correct – and many do not accept that it is – those like Bart who use Roman backed texts to verify it accept that the Gospel dates as written.
Next He wants the reader NOT to assume that its UNreliable because of the lateness of date, but that it should give us pause (in this context he doesn’t care about no record of an oral tradition or written text of the Jesus story among the Jews.) Now, if the reader hasn’t been paying attention they will be led into this interesting mind game and insert Bart’s previous comments to answer this question. May I remind you what his earlier comments were within those decades? He earlier explained a few times that oral stories were circulating even though the only texts that support that are Roman backed with an agenda, which arrived a century later and were rip-offs of earlier ideas that preceeded it from Kemet Egyptian, Platoist etc.

Bart is confused and does not want to accept anything other than his earlier stated belief that stories were circulated. I’m starting to get sick to my stomach again. I mean this sincerely and genuinely – it’s my review of mormonism all over again. In the next sentence Bart explains again what happened in those “lost” decades,claiming that Jesus Jewish followers began from a tiny sect – the gospels indicating that there were eleven men and several women who remained faithful to him after his crucifixion. Bart is saying that the entire story was preserved by 15 faithful disciples? What about the rest of the thousands of people who had heard and received miracles of the course of 3 years? The problem with believing this assumption is not only that there is no proof of any kind from that era, but until much later, but it lays waste to the thousands of essenes, who many claim Jesus originated from who would have known about him enough to have discussed him in Jewish circles. The thousands of people who Jesus allegedly preached to suddenly became mute, regardless of whether they believed Jesus or not, one would think there would have been an oral story from the thousands of essenes. Whether they supported or followed Jesus after his crucifixion is irrelevant to the absence of the thousands of stories that should have floated around prior to and during Jesus death. Bart paints a picture that from this tiny group sprung thousands of converts, so that by the end of the first century there were believing communities. He doesn’t delve into Paul’s missionary work datelines, preferring to describe Paul as “actively propagating the faith.”

Bart does say that, >>quote: “To be sure, the Christians did not take the world by storm. As we will see later in Chapter 25, Roman officials in the provinces appear to have taken little notice of the Christians until the second century; strikingly, there is not a single reference to Jesus or his followers in pagan literature of any kind during the first century of the Common Era. NONETHELESS, (capitalization is mine) the Christian religion quietly and persistently spread, not converting millions of people, but almost certainly converting thousands in numerous locations through the entire Mediterranean.” >>end quote.

Bart cannot keep his story straight, however gullible followers of Bart’s story will not question. To repeat a previous excerpt from his book called Misquoting Jesus, p. 318 >>quote Bart: "If the letter [1 Peter] is indeed associated with Asia Minor, as its prescript suggests, it should probably be assigned to the first century, possibly near its end, when persecution of the Christians was on the rise" >>end quote.

Did you catch that? In his book, “Historical Jesus” he claims there was no persecution in the first century and his Misquoting Jesus book he claims that there is. Clearly Bart is not only confused but he is contradicting himself, but why? I have not read his book “Misquoting Jesus”, but even the title is a subliminal (or not so subliminal) attempt to convey that there must first be a Jesus to Misquote!! No reputable historian could claim that there was persecution in the first century, it has adaquately been debunked.

Bart says, they “almost certainly converting thousands in numerous locations through the entire Mediterranean.”
He is not documenting proof because there is none. There is only the Roman backed n.t., which he uses to validate his ideas. As I wrote in my article, there is no account of Christian converts until the first part of the second century. Some historians place it even later. This is odd considering the n.t. says they were prolific missionaries as per Jesus commandment. I also dislike Bart’s choice of words, “they almost certainly converted thousands.” Almost certainly is an oxymoron assuming something that has no evidence of any kind to support it other than his Roman backed new testament and later written church clergy records. Where are these numerous locations through the ENTIRE Mediterranean? Should I take the word of n.t. writers that they were there? No other records support it until even the late 2nd century and 3rd century in some locations. The odd thing is that Rome enjoyed different ideas and gods, as per its polytheist worship, which is strange that they wouldn’t have been known before this time given their missionary zeal commanded by Jesus to spread the word and preach.

Bart continues in weaving a story that there was a faithful group of Jewish disciples who persisted in spreading the oral stories (albeit stories that didn’t exist but which Bart won’t discuss at this time as he’s busy painting his picture of an assumption of oral stories by a small group of Jewish disciples to paint a picture for the reader.)

At this moment the bizarre thing strikes me, that the forum member (Bart supporter) in this discussion accused me of fantasizing an alternate story, but makes no mention of Bart continuing to fantasize a Roman story. At least my ideas were based on names, dates and storylines that kept popping up in alignment with each other, and could corroborate the story, plus absence of information that should certainly have been there from thousands of Jews who should have experienced the oral stories. Instead, Bart and his students would have me believe that the small group of 15 were all that were left of the thousands of population who had known the oral stories. What happened to all the thousands? Instead, Bart’s supporters would have me make the same assumptions that Bart has made even though the extant texts don’t even corroborate his story. Bart would excuse it by saying that people make mistakes in the story, but doesn’t address my original question as to why the original 12 disciples wouldn’t have corrected the mistakes since that was allegedly their job – to preach the correct doctrine and story of Jesus.

Bart writes that there is sparse evidence to show what Christians told people in order to convert them, sighting an example of missionary sermons in the book of Acts. He says we cannot tell how representative these are. Then, in the next sentence Bart says, >>quote: “Moreover, there are good reasons for thinking that most of the Christian mission was conducted not through public preaching, say on a crowded street corner, but privately, as individuals who had come to believe that Jesus was the Son of God told others about their newfound faith and tried to convince them to adopt it as well.” >>end quote.

Bart is filling in gaps with massive assumptions again and again and again. Bart simply will not entertain the idea that it was a made up story by Rome and that through many means and devices they hoodwinked people by setting up rituals and holidays around this story, however, if he did it would answer all his questions and then some. Are his “good reasons” because there is no Jewish record or Roman record prior to decades/centuries later? Again, Bart doesn’t question what happened to the thousands of essenes who would have already heard Jesus message during his 3 year ministry and prior to it. Are we to assume that the thousands became afraid after Jesus crucifixion and developed instant amnesia? Certainly then the stories would not have been new news, but old news which the citizens would have already been very familiar with during the years of Jesus alleged ministry. How does Bart prepare to convince me that preaching such a doctrine as this privately could squash rumor and gossip? Jesus said nothing of preaching it privately, he said in Mark 16:15, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature.” How does Bart assume and draw the conclusion that it was private preaching based on this commandment? He doesn’t, he assumes it based on the fact that there is no evidence to support the preaching in that lost century or more.

In the next paragraph Bart says, >>>quote: “Since we know that in the Greco-Roman world religion was a way of securing the favor of the gods, we are probably not too far afield to think that if faith in Jesus were known to produce beneficial, or even miraculous, results, then people might be persuaded to convert. If a Christian testified, for example, that praying to Jesus, or through Jesus to God, had healed her daughter, or that a representative of Jesus had cast out an evil spirit, or that the God of Jesus had miraculously provided food for a starving family, this might spark interest in her neighbor or co-worker. Those with an interest in Jesus would want to learn more about him. Who was he? When did he live? What did he do? How did he die? The Christian, in turn, would be both compelled and gratified to tell stories about Jesus to anyone interested.” >>>end quote.

Bart is again making assumptions based on information that was not there and again fails to pinpoint dates but lumps centuries all together. As a matter of fact, he is claiming that early Christians would tell people about Jesus as if they had never heard of him or known him. He is giving the recipe for programming people’s minds to a belief system that they were never in on from the beginning. Bart is actually explaining how people can join cults like Mormonism or other groups by accepting stories of people who were also never there from the beginning of its inception. He again fails to explain why the Jews in Judea did not hear this story if the manner of proselyting was so easily done in that era. This would explain why Simon bar Kosiba denounced such a story as a fabrication. The early Christians should not have had to tell a story to the Judeans if it had already happened. They would have said, “Remember hearing about Jesus from Galilee who taught your aunt and healed her? That’s the Jesus I’m talking about now.” No, they could not draw on the memories of the Judeans, instead they went to distant lands where this story could be masqueraded as truth because the citizens of Judea had no knowledge of the man from which to tell the stories and the people in Antioch and Alexandria had no way of knowing it wasn’t true. If they wanted to believe they would, based on Bart’s description of how foreigners in other lands could be persuaded the story was real, and were persuaded eventually although it took a century. It still doesn’t prove that the story is real or correct or true, he only describes how people could believe such a story without having met Jesus. Why would the Judeans want to learn more information from the early Christians about a man whom they would have already known and heard of? Wait, Bart already addressed his answer to that problem in the comparison with Apollonius of Tyana, a Roman constructed story (possibly anti-christian constructed story which info Bart omits) that was identical to Jesus in every single point to draw comparisons that another man, identical to Jesus was later discovered, so why not Jesus too.

Bart gives examples of how missionary work was performed, perhaps a person did a miracle and preached about Jesus while the people are intrigued and convert. (although I don’t know how many people go around performing miracles)
Bart says that his examples of missionary work doesn’t imply that if we had accounts based on eyewitnesses, they would necessarily be accurate. (allowing for the inaccuracies and disagreements of the n.t. in the alleged eye witnesses of Jesus), but continues to say, >>quote: “the scenario I have painted does help to explain why there are so many differences in the stories about Jesus that have survived from the early years of Christianity. Furthermore, nearly all of these story tellers had no independent knowledge of what really happened and were Greek speaking rather than Hebrew, and it takes little imagination to realize what happened to the stories.” >>end quote.

If all these different stories were present during Jesus lifetime of teaching he could have set them straight through his own preaching of the multitudes and his 12 disciples. The disciples could have set them straight. This never happened! A later clergy father described that they had all the correct information. Again, Bart is vague in his usage of the term “early years of Christianity” lumping it all together. No evidence of Jesus during his ministry from Greek, Jewish or Romans or even a hundred years following; unless you include Clement1’s backing of Paul’s document from 95ce, but again, clement1 goes back to a suspicious Roman backing and Josephus and Pliny, but we’re back to the beginning again.

Bart continues to tell of how stories can be changed from one person to the next but he separates this from any information that might point toward no evidence in the lost century. Bart is trying to validate evidence for stories by word of mouth after Jesus death but fails to incorporate how they could be told to people in Judea who should have already been familiar with the stories and the man and could have gone to the 12 disciples whom Jesus allegedly told to go out and further Jesus preaching ministry. Again, when Bart says, “the early Christians probably spread it through word of mouth,” he is not only vague in his usage of the term early Christians, but he fails to make up for the multiple decade period of time between Jesus and Paul, where the only record at all of Jesus is Roman backed centuries later and with a clear agenda.

I prefer to use Occam’s razor in these types of situations, which is that the most simple and likely story is usually the correct one. In my case, based on the information I have, there is no need to suppose or assume stories passed on from a group who were not known at all in a community. It is most reasonable to accept the obvious, that Rome made it up later, which explains why the Jews didn’t know about Jesus and why the missionaries of Paul’s era decades later had trouble converting the citizens of Judea and had to go out of Judea where this wouldn’t be known. It explains why the era of Paul is remarkable like the era of the 2nd century.
Bart explains this by saying, >>quote: “in the opinion of most New Testament scholars, it is possible that in addition to preserving genuine historical recollections about what Jesus actually said and did, these authors also narrated stories that had been modified, or even invented, in the process of retelling.”>>end quote.

There is most definitely proof that the narrators invented stories, and Bart bridges that known fact with an assumption that these known fabrications originated from genuine historical recollections about what Jesus himself actually said and did. In other words, Bart believes that there was a man named Jesus, although there is nothing to validate it outside of later Roman writing, and that the stories merely became embellished. Bart said it all when he wrote that there were genuine historical recollections, he only forgot to preface it by saying “HE believes” that there were genuine historical recollections. He does not believe the story was fabricated out of a bunch of random stories for a Roman agenda which went viral, but that it had a real Jesus from the beginning who was modified – some of the stories invented, but Jesus himself was not invented. Again, Bart fails to mention that the disciples whom Jesus told to preach could have corrected the stories as they were allegedly in close contact with Paul, Barnabas and others according to the new testament writings and other writings of church fathers.

At this point I will draw attention to something Bart has overlooked, and that is once Rome secured the stories they wanted to (no easy task either) they compiled it along with the Catholic doctrine and that has remained the same for 2 millennia with very little change. Stories of Zues remained unchanged, as did the story of his beloved example Apollonius remain fairly unchanged, but the story of Jesus on the other hand, no one could get that story correct even though Bart said there was a real man named Jesus or Yeshua whom it was patterned after? The catholic belief system remains relatively the same today after nearly 2000 years, and even when systems like Platoism changed it could be traced. Even in Mormonism the basic Mormon beliefs have remained somewhat the same since 1830 and that was based on Smiths preaching that he saw an angel, translated plates into the book of Mormon, and saw God and is the prophet of God. Even the changes within Mormonism can be placed. Something as outrageous as Joseph Smiths story didn’t undergo too many changes and yet a story as extravagant as Jesus, where multitudes of citizens in Judea heard him and were healed by him, who had 12 disciples whom he taught his ‘gospel’ and sent them out to preach its correctness, couldn’t agree to one simple story? In spite of the fact that people held all sorts of beliefs in that era still doesn’t account for a lack of information from the era of Jesus – which Bart stretches a century later to include “early christianity” through assumptions of word of mouth which he believes must explain the differences in stories.

It is generally known that the Hebrew exodus from Egypt was only a very small tribal affair, but over the millennia has been blown up into a massive story, however, the point remains that the Jews knew the story and passed it on. In this case, the Jews did not know the story nor did they pass it on, the Romans did; but as I mentioned in my article, based on the amount of essenes said to be in Jesus company of preaching one would have to establish that it wasn’t a small tribal affair. I find Bart completely unreasonable in his desire and approach to explain and excuse the Roman error stories.

Bart defends the errors in the Jesus story discrepancies by saying, >>quote: “until recently it has been commonly thought again, even among scholars, that oral cultures could be counted on to preserve their traditions reliably, that people in such societies were diligent in remembering what they heard and could reproduce it accurately when asked about it. This, however, is another myth that has been exploded by recent studies of literacy. We have now come to see that people in oral cultures typically do not share the modern concern for preserving traditions intact, and do not repeat them exactly the same way every time. On the contrary, the concern for verbal accuracy has been instilled in us by the phenomenon of mass literacy itself; since anyone now can check to see if a fact has been remembered correctly by looking it up, we have developed a sense that traditions ought to remain invariable and unchanged. In most oral societies, however, traditions are understood to be malleable; that is, they are supposed to be changed and made relevant to the new situations in which they are cited. The importance of these new studies should be obvious, as we begin to reflect on the fate of the traditions about Jesus as they spread by word of mouth throughout the largely illiterate Greco-Roman world.” >>end quote.

Look, I don’t mind a story somewhat changing over the centuries, but this isn’t what I’m talking about and yet Bart has enmeshed something altogether different. He claims that the importance of this discovery should be obvious in supporting the many different stories. It isn’t just the matter of stories differing and changing, (even though the 12 disciples should have had a more accurate story to set them all straight) it is a matter of who is telling the stories and how those stories rose up and where those stories can be traced, and why they were never spoken of in the land of Judea during the era of Jesus ministry or even the decades proceeding it until the Roman stories arrived. It is a matter of what took place around the time these stories were coming out – all during the same time by the way. Based on Bart’s examples of truth in an original story am I to believe that the God Horus really did exist but later had stories invented about him? That Zeus and Athena really existed but were later embellished? Yes, people in that era believed it was true, but shouldn’t we be a little wiser for our current understanding?

There were no oral stories in Judea with which to twist or get slightly different variations from. NONE! Bart supposes there must have been as an explanation of how all the stories came into place a century later WITHOUT considering the Roman agenda and propaganda surrounding it, or that the 12 disciples were strangely silent on clarifying the stories, and then associated with Paul while still not correcting his stories.

The stories were later roman stories which were written down even though earlier Bart describes how Hebrews were more known than Romans for writing records. Yet a Roman community not known for writing stories wrote these down far later and the Jews known more for writing stories didn’t write them down? Bart can try to defend and gloss over it all he wants but it is still the elephant standing in the room. Those of us who aren’t as willing to swallow every bit of Roman backed information we are fed, and overlook other pieces of incriminating texts, do not concur with Bart’s theory as easily as he himself does.

In trying to defend a historical Jesus (whom he assumes must have been the origin of the stories, not Grecian trained writers or orators stealing from Kemet Egypt, Platoists from b.c.e., or Yeshua stories from b.c.e.) he has overlooked the obvious. What he claims to be obvious appears to me to be pathetic scrambling for justification.

Again, it’s not even about the different stories, which Bart tries to defend through changes in word of mouth stories, it is about the fact that there were no Jewish oral stories from that era from whence came a man who preached in Judea for years and was crucified! The stories were Roman stories, and Bart is attempting to fill a gap - Jesus of the gaps - to claim there is what there never was based on problems with oral stories changing.

If there was a Jewish oral story about Jesus or Yeshua from 0 ce to 33ce, and it wasn’t quite the same as Rome’s, I could see Bart’s comparison and I could agree to it, but Bart is drawing parallels and comparisons where there is none and no foundation to be drawn AND defending his false assumptions and false information by trying to say that the reason is because oral stories get changed. If the entire oral story of Jesus was invented, then it wasn’t changed from something that already existed or there would be some Jewish oral story origin. Bart doesn’t want to entertain the idea that it was thoroughly invented, only perhaps parts changed and twisted – still not questioning why there is not even a grain of original story outside of later Roman writings or addressing the Roman backed writings – not even when he compares Apollonius.

On page 47 Bart tries to validate discrepancies in the gospels crucifixion story, saying, >>quote: Some scholars have argued that John’s account is more accurate historically, since it coincides better with Jewish sources that describe how criminal trials were to be conducted by the Sanhedrin. If these scholars are right, then Mark or one of his sources may have changed the day on which Jesus was killed in order to promote the idea that Jesus himself had instituted the Lord’s Supper during the Passover meal. This is possible, but may not be the best explanation. The Jewish sources that describe the procedures of the Sanhedrin were written nearly 200 years after this event, and thus are probably not our best guide.”>>>end quote.

Bart is stating that IT IS POSSIBLE for the Roman texts to be correct, and indeed takes his references from them, even though they were written centuries afterward, but it is NOT possible for Jewish texts on the Sanhedrin details to be accurate because THEY WERE WRITTEN 2 CENTURIES AFTER THIS EVENT!! How very strange Bart would use Roman text written one or more centuries afterward to reference or uphold his oral traditions, but not the Jewish text written one or more centuries afterward. Bart’s stance and agenda is quite clear in his desire to confirm the likeliness of a historical Jesus and whose oral traditions and written text he is willing to accept (if there were any, which there are not, therefore he has to explain why there may not be even though the disciples should have cleared up the discrepancies as part of their preaching doctrinal concepts of Jesus. He accepts the text he has culturally been taught - the Roman texts.

Bart says, >>quote: “For the early Christians (*note: continuing to lump the word early anywhere from 33 ce to 200 ce) who passed along the stories we now have in the Gospels, it was sometimes legitimate and necessary to change a historical fact in order to make a theological point. These are the stories that the Gospel writers inherited.” >>end quote.

Again his use of the term “early Christians” is really starting to annoy me as it explains his mind dilemma and confusion. Bart claims that the Gospel writers INHERITED the stories and changed them, not noting where the stories were inherited from; assuming they were inherited from Judea who has no such oral or written records of such a grand story even though they have records of lesser Jewish stories. That is his conclusion, that the Gospels are pieces of early Christian literature that is authentic and originated from oral stories that were HISTORICAL FACT (even though he has no corroborating text of such historical fact and more texts that would indicate it is a fabricated sham) but these historical facts became changed changed due to legitimate necessity to make a theological point. At this moment I have only one word for Bart --- WOW! Bart cites no examples of his proof or evidence that the stories were changed necessarily and legitimately, and by whom, or when they were changed from one story to the next during the period of 30 ce to 120 ce. It was not only necessary but legitimate to change “historical facts” to make a theological point. Well, Roman Catholicism certainly has practiced honing that technique. How Bart can defend it as legitimate to make a theological point and still have the guts to put the phrase “ historical fact” in the sentence is beyond me. He is describing Pathological Liars and Sociopaths! Is Bart doing the same thing – confusing history to make a theological point – his point being that he’s afraid to believe the Jesus story was a Roman later construct? He has already confused many points, the least of which being his confusion as to whether there was persecution in the 1st century or not. He claims that it was legitimate – or okay – to lie for the Lord sometimes. That’s the only way he can maintain his belief in a historical Jesus as fact – to believe that people changed it to make theological points.
He claims that these legitimately changed stories are what the Gospel writers inherited, the writers being Mathew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, etc.

This is sounding like a stuck record as the same theme pops up with Bart again and again, In this context again Bart refuses to acknowledge that Paul and the other Gospel writers had Jesus truth doctrine and were commanded to preach it. Notwithstanding there might be room for some different perceptions in the way each of the disciples perceived Jesus doctrine, it doesn’t explain why the disciples didn’t set these writers straight, even though the writers went to Judea and even Antioch, where Paul and the other disciples instructed them on the doctrines which they knew to be Jesus doctrine. Nope, I’m sorry, this smells of fabricated storylines from the 2nd century and there were no 12 disciples who knew Jesus doctrine and set them Paul straight, or any of them straight, because that Jesus/Messiah doctrine wasn’t around until later and those disciples didn’t exist. That explains why there is no real history of the disciples, and why Jesus teachings resemble later stories pulled from many different beliefs prior to that time. That explains why Rome picked and chose the best storylines and squashed the others, and why Clement1, a Jewish convert never met Jesus or why Paul, even though he had access to the disciples, never knew what he was talking about. What theological points - Jesus points? If Jesus had the truth and doctrine of correctness why would mere mortal men need to change a Savior Messiahs truth?

In the next paragraph Bart confuses both himself and the reader (explaining his confusion on his labeling of himself as an agnostic) he writes, >>quote: “If the gospels have differences in historical detail, and each gospel preserves traditions that have been changed, then it is impossible for the historian simply to take these stories at face value and uncritically assume that they provide historically accurate information. We will therefore need to develop some criteria for deciding which features of the Gospels represent Christianization of the tradition and which represent the life of Jesus as it can be historically reconstructed. Over the course of the next five chapters we will devote our attention to the first aspect of our study, the literary emphasis of each Gospel. Once we understand in greater detail where the Gospels came from and what each one has to say, we will then be equipped to address the second issue, asking broader historical questions in an attempt to establish what actually happened in the life of Jesus.” >>end quote.

Why does he claim that a historian shouldn’t assume the stories provide accurate information based on their discrepancies, but he himself concocts assumptions as to how they originated from a historical fact and changed to make theological points?

He is again taking all his points of criteria from the new testament, which was Roman written, therefore he will only get the answer they give him. He will reconstruct a life of Jesus based on the new testament and attempt to parse the lies or inventions of Christianization historical accuracies (take your choice, Bart is equally fine with lies or inventions as long as he can still maintain some question of confusion that doesn’t completely discount his historical Jesus.)
He has already decided not to take the word of Jewish text which was written at the same time period as the Roman text based on his opinion that the Jewish text is not of the era, but even though the Roman text isn’t either he has made his reference allegiance.
He has already decided that he would only take selective texts that are Roman backed to support his position.
He has already decided that there is a historical Jesus and stories were changed in spite of disciples not preventing the stories from being changed or commissioning someone else to write something that would set these mix-up’s straight.
He has already decided that stories of Jesus had to have been true and had to have spread by word of mouth (and later written by confused authors) even though there is nothing that would support the theory that they were spread by word of mouth, although his excuse of confused authors doesn’t have anything to support it in the context which he tries to deliver and convince.

In spite of this, he now claims that he will present criteria for deciding which features of the Gospels represent Christianization of the tradition and which represent the life of Jesus as it can be historically reconstructed.

This I gotta see!!!
Bart needs to be revealed as a misleading sham of a historian and I cannot in good conscience stand silently by while he gets away with this intellectual dishonesty. Perhaps he is still operating under the premise of twisting stories to make a theological point – or to support a theological myth which he needs to be supported. Whatever his motive and intentions – it is wrong in my eyes.

Let’s say I want to find out if Dracula is real and ever lived. I read only Brahm Stokers information as he seems to be the original writer. I do not take any information that might appear contrary to Stoker even if it’s written at the same period. A lot of different writers have become intrigued with the concept of vampires and have changed the storylines somewhat, but the basics are the same. I have now read all of Stokers work to determine if there was a Dracula and I am setting up criteria to determine which of his information is a dramatization of other traditions and which parts of his book information represents the life of Dracula as it can be historically reconstructed through ONLY using Stokers books, and books that Stoker supports. There may be a seed of historical origin as some authors claim Dracula is similar to Vlad the Impaler, but that’s about where the similarities start and stop, however, I’m not using the other references, only Brahm Stokers, since his is the original Dracula storyline we are all familiar with.

Since Bart is using the Roman backed text as his only reference, and using it to validate a historical Jesus, it makes little difference if he finds faults in it , as in the end the faults don’t discount the embellished stories which lead him back to Roman texts that validate Jesus as an oral history. That is another reason why his label of agnosticism is nothing more than a confusing mind manipulation. There are points that he acknowledges as error, making him agnostic to some point, but all points succeed to his belief in Roman backed texts that claim Jesus lived and Bart makes up for the decades of no Jesus story by saying he’s certain there had to be oral stories told, how else could Paul and century later writers gotten the stories? Based on his criteria he may be confused but he is still going to believe the storyline, that there was an historical Jesus – and guess what – Bart does just that! It is easy to trace Barts’ dilemma and format for his beliefs once you read and analyze his writing, but sadly, Bart claims he doesn’t know what to believe while maintaining a belief in a historical Jesus. It is psycho, and that is why I say that these religious beliefs overlap with psychological problems. This is what I mean when I earlier said that he is not agnostic, he is confused, and more importantly he cares about the outcome and wants it to fit in his traditional belief system. He has the letters behind his name to put his information out and made millions confusing people in the same manner in which he himself is confused; but the label of agnosticism somehow lends to his credibility even though it is not by any means an accurate description of his beliefs. He does point out some problems (proving confused) and explains them away by more assumptions and confusions that are only backed by Roman texts.

Next paragraph Bart shows just how far he’s willing to bend his mind to accommodate Roman text as authentic stories, >>quote: “ One of our four authors, Luke, explicitly tells us that he used oral and written sources for his narrative (Luke 1:1-4), and he claims that some of these sources were drawn ultimately from eyewitnesses. This circumstance raises another interesting question. Is it likely that authors who extensively used earlier sources for their accounts were themselves eyewitnesses? Suppose, for example, that Matthew actually was a disciple who accompanied Jesus and witnessed the things he said and did. Why then would he take almost all of his stories, sometimes word for word, from someone else (as we will see in Chapter 6)? >>end quote.

Bart’s question makes no sense to me. Why would the authors appear to be using earlier sources for their accounts have been eyewitnesses? Especially since the four authors are dated from the early second century or very late 1st century. Only authors using the n.t. to verify their dates could do as Bart does and stretch their assumptions to place the date prior to 90ce, and 90ce is a generous early date. His assumption that Mathew could have been a disciple is not backed by any supporting text of any kind. If Mathew really was a disciple of Jesus this text would place him around 90 to 100 or 110 years old when he wrote the text. It’s not impossible to live that long, but that is quite a feat and one would imagine it would have been worthy of mention.

>>quote: “In short, it appears that the Gospels have inherited traditions from both written and oral sources, as Luke himself acknowledges, and that these sources drew from traditions that had been circulating for years, decades even, among Christian communities throughout the Mediterranean world.” >>end quote.

He shut down his question and appeases his fear with the assumption that they had to have written it from a previous source. He is using Luke to validate this claim. Again, it’s an example of Bart using the new testament text to validate the text, unfortunately he makes no mention of the Josephus discrepancies regarding the Jesus and John and Essene storylines to alert the reader that these inherited traditions cannot be accepted based on information I have already discussed. Bart simply cannot see how they could have fabricated it out of thin air from the various stories that had gone previously, even though he is not willing to look at Jewish sources and the lack thereof. It is shameful and what is more shameful is that he made millions on this ridiculous form of Historian authorship and has tainted the thought process of people’s minds with his own technique and confusion.

Bart says that Luke explicitly indicates that his sources were both written and oral and we must believe him and trust his word. Bart says that these sources said they recounted the words and deeds of Jesus and therefore must have been circulating among Christian congregations decades after Jesus death throughout the Mediterranean world, so it must be. He says, “later we will consider the question of the historical reliability of these stories. Here we are interested in the Gospels as pieces of early Christian literature.”
He could have fooled me. In fact he did fool me. His wording gives no such indication. He is assuming that there were oral traditions that formed the early Christian years of Jesus ministry and after his death based on the early Christian writing that came during Ignatius era and more later during Marcion and later writers era. He is trying to study the gospels as a piece of early Christian literature when they were written a hundred or more years later whilst validating their probability. It would have been fine if he hadn’t defended it through assumptions, but he has, therefore I cannot trust him as a reliable historian but only as a man who is confused in facing the problems within his traditional faith. Instead of slicing through to the obvious, he tries to build a background of authenticity for the texts based on information that has no text to validate it and then tries to explain away the obvious problems.

It’s interesting that on page 52 – 54 Bart describes the 2nd century technique of biographies, sighting examples of Suetonius and Tacitus, to affirm that the new testament wasn’t written in a style that might be familiar to our present day biographies, but to the style of Tacitus, Suetonius or Pletarch. Yet it’s interesting that Bart doesn’t make any connection between the writing styles in pointing out a fabrication based on the Roman link of Tacitus and Suetonius either, instead he draws comparisons that focuses on the writers getting information from oral traditions, thereby going back again to defend a previous assumption that there was an oral tradition from which the new testament was derived – apparently to put the reader at ease and support his on-going belief that there was an original oral story. How else could such writing genius’s come up with a grand storyline heh? Certainly not out of thin air, no, it must have come from an oral tradition even though there is no record of an oral tradition from the land in which it occurred and at the time in which it occurred.

In chapter 5 Bart presumes and assumes right from the beginning. Now, I have no problem with questions, I like them, and I have no problem with myself presuming, as I am not a scholar, just a questioner who draws conclusions based on my questions and observations, but I do have a problem with a man who is a certified lettered historian and scholar but fills in blanks with assumptions. I wouldn’t find any error or red flags if he asked questions toward possible links in his theory, but instead he draws an assumed a conclusion which has no information to verify it at all – not even in the Roman backed texts which he is using . For example, Bart says, “Mark penned his stories based on what he had heard, and IN ADDITION to what he’d heard Mark MAY ALSO HAVE used some written sources for portions of his narrative. IF SO, these sources no longer survive.” (italics are mine).

There is no record of these others sources written or spoken anywhere that isn’t Roman backed, and even then it is assumed. We are assuming that this unknown writer we called Mark is telling the truth at all and supporting it by Roman backed material. If the sources no longer survive how can Bart conclude that Mark used some of the written sources?

This is an erroneous assumption. It would be equivalent to me saying that Mark Twain may have used previous written stories about Huck Finn’s life which he heard oral stories about, but if so the sources no longer survive. Is this Bart’s attempt to mislead the reader to believe that Mark likely got his stories from earlier written sources that no longer exist from oral traditions, leading a person to believe there could have been a historical Jesus after all if there were earlier written sources, which we do not now have, but which likely were there, otherwise where would Mark have gotten his information? Therefore, like Bart, we must conclude that there were likely earlier written sources from earlier oral stories. If one bases all their information on the new testament as accurate there is no other recourse but to do as Bart does, which is to fill in the gaps to suppose that this man named Mark (we don’t know his real name) had to have earlier sources rather than fantasizing the storyline.

These stories had to start somewhere, and in that I agree. The issues I disagree with is who started them, who embellished them and why does he accept it all as correct when the agenda was already clearly known, along with the story similarities from earlier groups mentioned, plus lack of known data and the data there is indicates it is either later inserted as lies with agendas or it is part of a lying agenda from the beginning.

My question is that since the writers of Mark, Mathew and Luke are unknown, and yet Mathew and Luke formed much of their story after the book of Mark, how might that fit into the early Roman writers of clement1, Ignatius, Marcion, Valentinus and Bassillides, Origen etc since we definitely do know those Roman writers wrote about the Jesus storyline. What kind of writing comparison can be made between these styles? Differences or similarities might help establish if the writing styles of the original n.t. is written by the same group of authors or not.

On page 56 Bart writes about the term Christ, >>quote: “One of the first things that strikes the informed reader of Mark’s Gospel is how thoroughly its traditions are rooted in a Jewish worldview. The book begins, as do many other ancient biographies, by naming its subject, “The Beginning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (1:1). Readers living in the Greco-Roman world would not recognize “Christ” as a name; for most of them it was not even a meaningful title. The word comes from the verb “anoint” and typically referred to someone who had just had a rubdown with oil. Christ was (emphasis on WAS is Bart’s own emphasis) a title in Jewish circles, however, as the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Messiah. Mark, then, is a book about Jesus the messiah.” >>end quote.

I’ve read Bart’s analogy several times and it appears that he is saying the word Christos is not evident in roman terminology for a Christ, but rooted in the Jewish language and therefore proves to Bart that it was of a Jewish worldview – perhaps leading to his support that there was an original Jesus form whence the Jewish word Christos derived and that the Greco-Roman world would have not recognized the word Christos. My information shows that his belief isn’t quite accurate, that the word Christus was a title recognized in the Greco-Roman world, but not in the Jewish world, as the word Mashiyach was the Jewish term – originally the other way around to how Bart has it. The word “mashiyach” was the Jewish word and Greco-Roman writers translated it into a term that was more easily understood by them, combining the classical word Christos and messias to come up with a unique term for the Jewish word Mashiyach being Christ. Yes, Christ wasn’t a meaningful title, but its root word Christos, was one that was familiar and used to describe even groups who believed in a savior/king (I have mentioned examples in my article).

His last sentence is especially confusing… saying that the word Christ wouldn’t be recognized, originating from a word that just meant anointed, but as a Greek equivalent of the Jewish word Messiah. Which is it? It was either not recognized as a messiah, but rather as a simple term for rubbing on oil, or it was recognized as a Messiah whereby they transferred it onto the Jewish equivalent for Messiah.
This is the kind of confusion Bart plays at in the minds of his impressionable readers who wish to keep their beliefs in tact. The accepting reader will not recognize the confusing contradictions in Barts message but prefer to cling to anything that supports their belief.

Date: June 02, 2012 03:26AM

continued....

The phrase ho Christos was a used title, is not a name but more like a title. Thus, "Jesus Christ", in the Greek text Iêsous ho Christos, simply means "Jesus the Anointed [one]". (Sometimes, the Greek NT text has a different word order, ho Christos Iêsous, "the Anointed Jesus".) It seems that non-Jews didn't relate to the word CHRISTOS , considering the letter from Pliny the Younger to Trajan about 112 AD and several similar blunders. The latin word Christus however was in play and recognized, but not specifically in the manner which the Jewish messiah was defined. Was the word in relation to the Jewish Messiah, a word formed by the Jewish-Roman writers as a variation to the word Christ”u”s, to describe this new Jewish Messiah and label him in Greek terms later? In this case Bart would be correct in claiming that the new testament term would not be known to the Greeks of that day, however Bart fails to detail the etymology surrounding the term and instead misleads the reader to accept that the Jews knew of the word and the Greeks did not; or that the word was only associated with anointing and not with a God; which Bart then tries to connect to lead the reader to believe it was a Jewish origin. The Judean Jews would not have known this word either, the Hellenized Jewish-Romans created it.

The Greek word Messias appears only twice in the Greek Old Testament of the promised prince (Daniel 9:26; Psalm 2:2); yet, when a name was wanted for the promised one, who was to be at once King and Savior, this title was used to refer to an annointed king. The Greek text of John 1:41 and 4:25 contains the word Messias. That is a transliterated form of the Hebrew mashiyach, "anointed". That Greek transliteration messias was used for the purpose of explaining the meaning of that Hebrew word. In the Greek text of the New Testament, the phrase ho Christos is a translation of the Hebrew ha-Mashiyach (whence "Messiah") which likewise meant "the Anointed".

Unfortunately, most bible-translators have left christos ("anointed") untranslated, and have instead used that Greek word, in the form "Christ". Only a few bible-versions properly render it as "anointed", or, when it refers to Jesus, as "the Anointed [one]". Bart does not consider that the Romans did not want to use the word Messias, and did not use it further, but instead used a new word Christ to link the term already known to the Roman-Greeks and make it more familiar to them.

The word Christos was used in link with gods/kings well before the Jesus era. Prior to Jesus one of the gods the Greeks worshipped was "Christos Helios" which means something like, "Christ-The-True-Sun." “Helios” is the Greek God of the sun. Greeks called all of their gods "Christos" from Apollo to Zeus and it did mean "anointed” God. They were familiar with the term Christos in relation to their God and for this reason it would make sense that it was the likely choice for the Roman/Grecian writers to use to bridge the gap between the word Messias, which word the Romans were not familiar with and was too Jewish, and blend it with a word they were familiar with in context with the King/Savior and thereby Hellenize the Jewish Messiah concept with a Greek word that was already familiar in context with Gods and Kings as being anointed ones.

For Bart to say that the Greeks weren’t familiar with the title Christos, or Christus, is a grave error for a historian of his book-selling caliber. Confusion is the key theme in Bart’s work.

Roman emperor Julius Caesar , born 100 bce – 15 March 44 bce, was known to many as the Christos Helios. The name Christos to refer to annointed king/god was in place and well known – not known in a Jewish/Roman reference or a Judea Jewish Hebrew/Aramaic reference though until the new testament coined a reference. Some scholars believe that Jesus was Julius Caesar.

http://www.carotta.de/eindex.html

I just now happened upon an author named Francesco Carotta, from the above link of his book, “ Jesus was Casesar. I have not read the book, but based on the small information I have read it would seem that I inadvertently have arrived at the same conclusions as Francesco Carotta. I had not gotten as afar back as Julius Casesar until now and noticed Carotta tracing a similar question and pattern although I arrived at the conclusion that Caligula was a Jesus archetype I can now see how Caligula got his idea as a Christos Helios, and the similarities of themes and dates surrounding the Jesus storyline.

Excerpt from book: >>quote: Julius Caesar, son of Venus and founder of the Roman Empire, was elevated to the status of Imperial God, Divus Julius, after his violent death. The cult that surrounded him dissolved as Christianity surfaced.
A cult surrounding Jesus Christ, son of God and originator of Christianity, appeared during the second century. Early historians, however, never mentioned Jesus and even now there is no actual proof of his existence.
On the one hand, an actual historical figure missing his cult, on the other, a cult missing its actual historical figure: intriguing mirror images.
Is Jesus Christ really the historical manifestation of Divus Julius? Are the Gospels built on the life of Caesar, just as the first Christian churches were built on the foundations of antique temples?
Corruptions in the copying of texts, misinterpretations in translations—Gallia transposed to Galilaea or Caesar’s murderer, the conspirator (Cassius) Longinus, becoming the centurion Longinus stabbing Jesus on the cross—and the transformation of iconography from Roman to Christian have been traced to their origins: the Gospel proves to be the history of the Roman Civil War, a ‘mis-telling’ of the Life of Caesar—from the Rubicon to his assassination—mutated into the narrative of Jesus: from the Jordan to his crucifixion. >>end quote.

The interesting thing is that my research led me to look at Julius Caesar as the Christos Helios, to determine if the word Christos/Christus was recognized in early Grecco-Roman era as opposed to only in the Jewish culture, which Bart claimed, and to my amazement I discovered that others have also discovered and questioned the road that led back to Rome. I guess when all research and questioning is done the pattern emerges for many of us as there are only so many texts that one can analyze and question; it is inevitable that eventually we all draw similar conclusions. The thing I find quite fascinating from a social cultural perspective is that Bart Ehrman is a popular million dollar book seller on the best sellers list and his errant and confusing opinions about the name Christus but someone like Franscesco Carotta, who shows the Grecco-Roman use of the term and title Christ/Christus in relation to Caesar, is not well known.

Getting back to research into this matter about the Grecco-Roman use of the term Christus/Christos has produced some revealing similarities between Christos and certain pagan names and titles and at this point I would like to research them more:

F.D. Gearly, writing in The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 1, pp. 571-572, says, "the word Christos ... was easily confused with the common Greek proper name Chrestos, meaning 'good'." He also quotes a French theological dictionary which says, "It is absolutely beyond doubt that Christus and Chrestus, Christiani and Chrestiani, were used indifferently by the profane and Christian authors of the first two centuries of our era." He continues, "in Greek, 'e' and 'i' were similarly pronounced and often confused, the original spelling of the word should be determined only if we could fix its provenance (origin). ... The problem is further complicated by the fact that the word Christianos is a Latinism ... and was contributed neither by Jews nor by the Christians themselves." He quotes various scholars to support his proposition that the word Christianos was introduced from one of three origins: (a) The Roman police (b) The Roman populace (c) Unspecified pagan provenance (origin)," he then proceeds, "The three occurrences of 'Christian' in the NT suggest that the term was at this time primarily used as a pagan designation. Its infrequent use in the NT indicates not so much lateness of origin as pagan provenance (origin)."

If the Jewish word Christ and Christians wasn’t coined until later in Antioch, as the n.t. claims, what were the followers of Jesus called? Certainly not Essenes, as there is no Jewish record of them in Judea (not counting the Jewish record of Josephus and Philo, which I have previously addressed.) They had to be called something, as Stephen and Jesus and other disciples were killed based on that “something” they followed. There is no record of a title given to the Jesus followers, or of the word anywhere in any culture other than the Roman clergy writing later dated. There was however a record of the basic term in connection with pagan origin prior to that time era and during that time era; which also shows another way in which Christianity stole from pagan terminology prior to that era.

While Bart would be correct that the Greeks would have difficulty identifying the new testament specific usage of the word, everyone would have difficulty, but it certainly wasn’t a Aramaic-Hebrew-Jewish word but it appears to have been a Jewish-Roman word, which again takes me back to question the early Jewish-Roman writers discussing the Romanization of the Jews.

It is correct in saying that most people had difficulty understanding how cults were using the term to apply to their beliefs, and the almost sensational admission as to the confusion and uncertainty between Christos and Chrestos, Christus and Chrestus, Christiani and Chrestiani, is well documented and shared and published by other scholars too, as well as by the Early Roman Church Fathers: Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Lanctantius and others. yes the early Greeks wouldn’t have known the n.t. reference, but neither would the Judean Hebrews, nor would the Grecco-Romans, but they did most certainly know the name Christus in reference to an anointed God King Ruler. The Jewish-Hebrew world in Judea, the land of Jesus, did not know the term, they had never heard of the name Jesus as Christ or the greek term Messias, they were familiar with a Jewish term mashiyach meaning Messiah, but not familiar with Jesus or Yeshua of 0 ce to 33ce in relationship with this Messiah title.
**Also important to note that the confusion of these early fathers such as Justyn Martyr is dated to 150ce, not to 0 ce to 33 ce or even to 70ce.

Who was this Chrestos or Chreston with which Christos became confused with? We have already noted that Chrestos was a common Greek proper name, meaning "good", further, we note in Pauly-Wissowa, Realencyclopaedie, under "Chrestos", that the inscription Chrestos is to be seen on a Mithras relief in the Vatican. We also read in J.M. Robertson, Christianity and Mythology, p. 331, that Osiris, the Sun-deity of Egypt, was reverenced as Chrestos. We also read of the heretic Gnostics who used the name Chreistos. As previously mentioned noted Julius Casear as Christus of Helios. The confusion, and syncretism, is further evidenced by the oldest Christian building known, the Synagogue of the Marcionites on Mt. Hermon, built in the 3rd century, where the Messiah's title or appellation is spelt Chrestos. Justin Martyr (about 150 C.E.) said that Christians were Chrestoi or "good". Tertullian and Lactantius inform us that "the common people usually called Christ Chrestos". Clement of Alexandria, in the same age, said, "all who believe in Christ are called Chrestoi, that is 'good men.'"
Perhaps the word Christos was easier to convert the pagans with than the word "Messiah", especially because of the anti-semitism that prevailed among the pagans. The syncretism between Christos and Chrestos (the Sun-deity Orsiris), is further elucidated by the fact of emperor Hadrian's report, who wrote, "There are those (in Egypt) who worship Serapis; and devoted to Serapis, are those who call themselves 'Bishops of Christ'." Serapis was another Sun-deity who superseded Osiris in Alexandria.

These are more examples showing that the word Christ was known in Grecco-Roman pre-Jesus days to refer to anointed one/king/leader. Did the Grecco-roman vocabulary have the word Messias prior to Jesus? This would be an interesting question, and if not, when did the word Messias arrive in the Greek vocabulary? Did it coincide with the 2nd and first century church writers?
Those details could add more information as to clarification for or against Jesus Messiah storyline in 30 to 100ce. Certainly these unique people who were crucified by Roman officers and fled Judea must surely have had a name prior. But they did not. My own commentary would tell me that this, along with other information and lack of information, is because they did not exist until the early 2nd century in which time all the stories also rose up with no prior knowledge of a name for these people who followed Jesus during the most amazing preaching and miracles to the masses of Judea.

On page 59 I like Bart’s phrasing, >>quote: “Given the incredible following that Jesus amasses, the amazing teachings that he delivers, and the miraculous deeds that he performs, one would think that he would become immediately and widely acknowledged for who he is, a man specifically endowed by God, the Son of God who provides divine assistance for those in need. Ironically, as the careful reader of the Gospel begins to realize, nothing of the sort is destined to happen. Jesus, this authoritative Son of God, is almost universally misunderstood by those with whom he comes in closest contact. Even worse, despite his clear concern to help others and to deliver the good news of God, he becomes hated and opposed by the religious leaders of his people. Both of these characteristics are major aspects of Mark’s portrayal of Jesus. He is the opposed and misunderstood Son of God.” >>end quote.

One misleading sentence is that Jesus is almost universally misunderstood by those with whom he comes in closest contact. I think the word “universally” is an inappropriate word in this context. First of all, again, there is no record of him being misunderstood by any of these people during his era, in fact, no one seemed to care enough to even remember him until the Romans came on the scene and brought the story. Certainly the great misunderstanding would have warranted some worthwhile mention – but none other than Roman backed agendas and later inserts. Jesus came in closest contact with his disciples, whom he sent to preach his word, therefore the disciples were trained in his word and teachings to go out and teach it likewise unto the gentiles and “set them straight” so to speak. That also never happened as much as the Catholic clergy says that they taught the correct doctrine they certainly had a difficult time parsing out what that correct doctrine was even though there were disciples of Jesus to set them straight. The n.t. records do not show the disciples doing this; instead the writers claim they were taught by Jesus or his disciples and yet the confusion continues in their own texts.

I realize that Bart previously tried to defend that by over-riding the fact that the religious leaders of that era, or the Roman police-state era, have no verbal account of this man, by Bart claiming that they must have had an account, even though Bart always uses the focus on the Jewish-Judea verbal record and later written record of other men prior to, during and after that era in defense that the Jews knew there were such God-Men and were familiar with the concept -- just not Jesus as a God man.

Although Bart is describing the story as recorded by Mark, in this incident Bart does point out Marks comments and recognize that he was not immediately recognized and known for his teachings, crucifixion, etc, but explains and defends it by saying that Jesus is an opposed and misunderstood Son of God, as a reference to how and why Bart believes he and others could be confused and misunderstood. If Mark says they were confused, and certainly they were, then somehow Bart jumps to a conclusion that since there were confusions written about in Mark, and verified later in history, it must support his idea that there were early oral stories about him from the beginning of his life – only confused stories, because we certainly have proof that there were many LATER stories which were different and confused, and that in spite of Jesus greatness he must have been misunderstood as to explain the lack of knowledge about him. Again I am more prone to use Occam’s razor in this incidence where the most simplest conclusion that have common patterns emerging is likely the real conclusion. Bart tends to innocently review Marks words as though they did happen – and by his own previous admission will not take Jewish accounts even though they were written during the same datelines because the Jews were written later. These are only a few reasons I have nausea while reading Bart’s work.

Bart goes on to explain how the Jewish leaders did not recognize Jesus.

Bart writes: >>.quote: “…after Jesus performed healing and told the healed leper to go to the priests and make an offering as Moses commanded…. Why, then, do the Jewish leaders, the scribes and Pharisees in Galilee and the chief priests in Jerusalem oppose him? Do they not recognize who he is? In fact, they do not recognize him, as we will see momentarily. Even more seriously, they are gravely offended by the things that he says and does, stories conflict, stories that show a crescendo in the tension between Jesus and the Jewish leaders, the scribes and Pharisees. At first these leaders merely question his action (2:7), they then take offense at some of his associations (2:16) and his activities (2:18), then protest the actions of his followers (2:24) and finally take serious exception to his own actions and decide to find a way to put him to death . (3:6)>>end quote.

Not only did the Jewish leaders not recognize him, they thought that the miracle was not valid enough to keep record of, even though they had recorded lesser miraculous men before and after. Trying to give Bart every benefit and try to play with his line of thinking, I had wondered if it might be because Jesus was a rebel and the leaders didn’t want to link to him, but this wouldn’t explain why they didn’t make mention of him. To the contrary one would think it would have given them more reason to make a mention of this rebel who performs miracles – but there is none.

Speaking about his previous comment Bart writes:
>>quote: “This basic information about Jewish groups should make us curious about certain aspects of Mark’s Gospel. We know from other sources that the Pharisees were not numerous in the days of Jesus; there certainly were not enough to stand at every wheat field to spy out itinerant preachers on the Sabbath. Nor, evidently, were they influential in the politics of Palestine at the time, or even concerned that everyone else conforms to their own rules and regulations for purity. And yet, they appear as Jesus’ chief adversaries in Mark’s narrative, constantly hounding him and attacking him for failing to conform to their rules and regulations for purity. Can this be historically accurate? >>end quote.

I like Bart’s question. It should be interesting to see how he tries to answer it while still defending a historical Jesus.
How could it possibly be historically accurate? It sounds more like the era from the mid to end of the 2nd century.

Bart continues:
>>quote: “Scholars have long known that some decades after Jesus’ death, nearer the end of the first century, the Pharisees did become more prominent in Palestinian life. After the destruction of Jerusalem in 70ce they were given authority by the Romans to run the civil affairs of Palestinian Jews. Indeed, the one Jewish persecutor of the church about whom we are best informed was Paul, a self-proclaimed Pharisee.
Is it possible that the opposition leveled against the church by Pharisees after Jesus’ death affected the ways that Christians told stories about his life? That is to say, because of their own clashes with the Pharisees, could Christians have narrated stories in which Jesus himself disputed with them (usually putting them to shame), even though such disputes would have happened only rarely during his own lifetime?” .>>end quote.

If Bart is again calling them liars for the Lord, or excusable embellishment for religious cause, as he did a few pages back, then what part of it all can we believe as a truth God canon? Bart is forgetting one important thing, the disciples who lived with him knew the correct doctrine at the time Jesus told them to preach it and they could have/should have set it right since they were there. They did not, because they did not exist until a century later.

As a matter of fact, thinking about it now I’m wondering if this wasn’t a reflection on the mid 2nd century battle with doctrines and 2nd Judean war, in that there were so many variations of the belief system during the mid 2nd century that this canon could have easily been an attempt to put an end to the dispute and comment on the conditions of the 2nd century.
Rather than Bart’s theory that it’s possible that the Pharisees later rule affected the way the Christians told stories about Jesus life I would go with his other vaguely attempted theory that it was indeed possible that the similar later 2nd century incidents created the storyline rather than affecting the storyline. Although Bart will not concede that it created the story line, but that it only affected it, then we have him defending lying in the name of the lord again, etc.

Consider it this way, many people in the mid and later 2nd century have no real link with any disciples who could ‘set them right” and they made up a story that started by a few Roman backed writers and orators, Ignatius, Polycarp etc . Let’s take an example like world war 1. Nobody from my generation was there, and we only have stories to back it up. Even if some stories might be later embellished a little in the telling, or new stories from diaries might arise, the main concepts around the original story remains the same. To make such egregious errors in a foundational storyline is like saying that there was a man in United States who was a miracle worker trying to overthrow the German government. He attempted to bring down the Germans and there were German spies on every corner watching him in America. The spies finally caught him and executed him. Nobody from that era recorded him and suddenly a hundred years later word springs up of such a man. Let’s say that Britain took it and turned him into a religion savior claiming that this man had a group working with him who gave Britain all the exact details and information as they were with this man and knew it all correctly. Let’s say that later the German spies did indeed gain more access and power causing a threat for a second world war. We are then to believe that there was such a man as this and that the stories that came about were due to people who weren’t there, but that the stories were about the later surge of activity which the people confused for Jesus era because they were under such duress. Bart is making this impossible for me to swallow. To think that they could not separate their life era from the era of Jesus suggests that they were mentally ill or idiots. I’m not sure about the mentally ill part, but I read their bio’s and they were anything but idiots. They were trained Grecian writers and orators who had an agenda toward a Romanized Jewish community and a religion of their own; for others they were just swept up in the hysteria of a belief system, which although does make many believers say and do crazy things we are led back to square one again by questioning how much is accurate by sane people and if it is that twisted why do we want to believe it?

>>quote: “In the end, however, the chief priests triumph, convincing the Roman governor that Jesus has to die. Why, ultimately, do they do so? The short answer is that they find Jesus threatening because of his popularity and find his words against their Temple cult offensive, as shown in his violent and disruptive actions in the temple itself…..The Jewish authorities do not seek Jesus’ death merely because they are jealous or because they disagree with him over legal, theological, or cultic matters. They oppose Jesus because he is God’s unique representative on earth – God’s authoritative Son – and they, the leaders of Israel, cannot understand who he is or what he says. In this, however they are not alone, for virtually no one else in Mark’s narrative can understand who he is either.” >>end quote.

I like Bart’s statement that no one else in Mark’s narrative can understand who he is either, but Bart had already previously tried to explain why no one else has – not by asking questions, but by drawing assumptions based on filling in gaps where there is no information to support it but information quite to the contrary. In this way I believe that Bart does indeed care and is confused rather than agnostic as all his statements show that he does know and supposes how it all happened, based on his reference to Roman backed texts of course, while omitting other texts that confuse him. Bart’s question is an attempt to make sense of the Roman texts through questions which already imply that the texts are correct – he’s simply trying to validate how they could be correct. The problem with his technique is that he overlooks the questions that might really cut to the chase and invalidate the entire Roman theory and storyline.

First of all, there is no reference from the above mentioned Pharisees, priests or Roman officers that there were courts held against him. Certainly if they had put the other Rabbi’s to death that Bart refers to there would have been some mention, as they did mention the other Rabbi’s who were not as miraculous or controversial as Jesus by any stretch. Bart jumps to the assumption by filling gaps in Jesus storyline, “Jesus of the Gaps”, wondering if it is possible that Jesus death, and the later opposition against the church by Pharisees affected the ways that Christians told stories about his life long after Jesus died; while failing to place the known text into scenarios that would reject his theory. He is not able to determine how this could contribute to the 5 or so decade gap of Jesus life and death when the stories would have been preached by his disciples who were with Jesus and there to correct them or set them right through their close contact with them. Remember, there were Jesus disciples in Judea whom Paul conferred with.

Bart’s last question tries to find an alternate theory as to why there were no records of Jesus preaching from Judea, yet the later new testament records were flawed. Even if Bart’s examination of the later clash with how Pharisees explained the problems in the Gospel storylines, that they inserted stories based on later events, can’t possibly support that the book is true, but would rather support it as extremely questionable. Is this why Bart refuses to accept the Jewish texts about the Sanhedrin even though it was written in the same era as the Roman backed texts which he upholds?

Since the gospels were written by men claiming to have been taught by Jesus or his disciples, the leap to suspect that Jesus disciples didn’t know Jesus doctrines, or know who he was, but were commanded by Jesus to preach what they didn’t know about a man whom they didn’t understand , is quite an extraordinary leap and one that makes no sense whatsoever…… doomed to failure from the get-go. At first, during Jesus ministry, the disciples were described in the Gospels as being confused and Jesus told them not to preach. Then at some point Jesus discovered that the disciples understood he was the Son of God and they were told to preach to the gentiles; meaning that they understood the correct information and taught it.

The convenient element is that Jesus was put to death by Jewish Priests who have no record of the extraordinary event orally from that era or written from that era, even though it was said to be a very big problem. The absence of any correct information is then later explained by Bart saying that the stories were based on later inserts from a later time but must have had origin in oral stories from whence they got their confusion. The only way one could make sense of it is to start assuming in the same manner which Bart does - hobbling pieces of assumptions together based on information that isn’t textually supported, and overlooking large pieces of textual information that is there, and of course only referring to Roman based texts without actually tracing the pattern of the Roman based texts back to Rome with a Romanization agenda. Bart takes a lot of information and smears it around blurring the information further in the mind of anyone who wants clarity. The reader is to suppose that all the people whom Jesus and the disciples taught during their era, including Paul and the people who wrote the gospels, also were not bright enough to understand the disciples teachings, (or that somehow the disciples got it wrong too even though this would defy the very accuracy of the text and teachings themselves, ) and hence later came many confusing stories in the name of Christ Jesus. His ability to notice some evident flaws supports the readers opinion that Bart is an open minded agnostic and therefore his words should be read with great interest. His inability to review it in any way that would go against a historical Jesus makes him an unworthy historian.

As certainly the forum members here have continuously bowed to Bart as the end-all be-all reference in all things involving Jesus. My opinion of Bart couldn’t be farther from that. The later 2nd century Jewish-Roman-Greco writers continued to be massively confused, cannot get the stories straight, and yet in spite of that Bart insists on believing that the stories had an origin from an era that has no record other than the Roman-Jewish-Greco writers who wrote later books which he’s referencing.

Since Bart is willing to claim that the writings of Mark is a reference to later Pharisees accounts that did not happen during Jesus time (one which I’d agree with him on) why wouldn’t Bart also question if the problem with Jesus disciples confusion over Jesus teachings could be a similar later parallel and comparison, for example, it is well documented that later Christians were confused, did the writers parallel that to the Jesus years as well? Why will Bart question an obvious later insertion that is impossible to deny based on many scholars understanding of lack of Pharisees during Jesus era to corroborate the Jesus/Mark storyline, (as though Bart acknowledges he has no choice but to accept it and incorporate it into his information) but Bart will find ways to excuse it and not make the same question account for the Jesus 12’s and all the Jews who allegedly heard Jesus message, not to understand, but only later did the 12 understand even though they still couldn’t manage to get the rest of the population to ever understand, hence the confusion. It’s suspicious that if Jesus was a radical member of the essenes, and the essenes were in the thousands and well known by the likes of Philo and Josephus, the information presented wouldn’t be so unknown and unfamiliar to the group of men he enlisted as his disciples, who lived in Galilee where there had to be some talk about the behavior of these people prior to them meeting Jesus.

In other words, all the information couldn’t have been so completely confusing to these Jews who lived in Judea, all lower class struggling with the same plight, rubbing elbows in society, some of them must of heard such information that Jesus spread considering that the belief of the essenes ranked in the thousands. Was Jesus the only one who knew he was the Son of God in all the essenes? If anyone discovered that Jesus was the son of God Mark said that he told them to speak nothing of it. This is what Bart claims is known as the “messianic secret”. He says in chapter 15 he will revisit this issue and take up questions about the historical Jesus, but for now he is only interested in how the messianic secret functions literarily in the context of Mark’s story of Jesus.

Again I ask the question, how can anyone keep that kind of secret when he preached to multitudes and the officers who held his court knew him and based his court on the very problems that were supposed to be secret? Bart forgets that Jesus did tell them to preach after this and still there was no record. Also, in this context Bart omits that the likeliness of thousands of people keeping secret about something as grand as this would be quite a stretch….yet they did keep secret, so secret that no one spoke of it even though it went to trial. Bart can accept the later Pharisee story insert to the time of 0 ce to 33 ce, but he can’t accept the later Jesus storyline insert on the same premise that he accepts the Pharisee later storyline insert. For now Bart is only interested in asking parts of the questions that he explains in supporting the assumptions that help corroborate the story in Mark. It is a very strange way of writing a book and lay a foundation that causes the reader to support it and then 10 chapters later perhaps question it, but by that time the foundation he has laid is sneaky and will be difficult to shake as has been seen in the forum members who wish me to read Bart’s books to help answer all my questions.

I have not forgotten how the Jewish-Grecco-Roman writers were of the wealthy group, not the uneducated lower class who Bart mentioned consisted of 90% of the population and was likely that this lower class did not read or write….no, the writers I researched who wrote for Rome were Grecian trained by some of the best Greek play-writes and orators and came from wealthy families. The Grecian training did not go to waste on their writing it would appear as they obviously knew how to turn a good story. They knew how to make a person root for an underdog and put in just the right fear – hope combinations mixed with threat tactics so well known in religion, “those who reject these words will have no part of Christ at the end of the age (8:34-38), exaltation comes from pain, salvation through crucifixion; to gain one’s life one must lose it; the greatest are the most humble; the most powerful are the slaves; prosperity is not a blessing but a hindrance; leaving one’s home or field or family brings a hundredfold homes and field or families; the first will be last and the last first.
Bart says that “These lessons provide hope for a community that is in the throes of suffering, experiencing the social disruptions of persecution and that they make particular sense for a community that knows that its messiah, the Son of God, was rejected and mocked and killed, only to be vindicated by God who raised him from the dead. “

I would say that these writings definitely appealed to a community of people who were poor and desperate in need of hope and a clever approach to Romanize the Jews. These tactics still appeal to the depressed and hopeless and needy of the world. It would help them identify with Jesus personally and even though they did not know him personally it might ignite them to want to believe the story based on their own similar problems – finding a messiah similar to them who could give them hope, who was a Christ savior as described by the new testament newly enmeshed definitions. In any case, the whole thing proved to be very challenging as they later tried to get on the same page with the same story and it has obviously proved to continue to be challenging for them all to get on the same page as Bart himself has presented yet another different perspective on his own pages. The other point to remember is that once they did get their story straight Catholicism stuck with it rather closely for thousands of years, which indicates how stories do not necessarily change through the years as much as Bart would like us to believe that was the problem in the lost century of 0 ce to 120 ce.

Reading page 67 of his book, it is impossible to comprehend Bart’s explanation to support Mark’s error…..
Bart describes that Mark discusses the condemnation of the Sanhedrin against Jesus on grounds that Jesus was blasphemous claiming he was the Messiah, but Bart notes that scholars point out other rabbis proclaimed to be the long awaited messiah, and no charges of blasphemy were brought against him. Nor was it blasphemous to claim to be the son of God. Why did Mark claim in his narrative that Jesus was charged for blasphemy? Bart writes,
>>quote: “from a historical point of view, Jesus does not appear to have committed one (a blasphemy). But it is possible that Mark THOUGHT that Jesus’ committed one, at least in the eyes of the Jewish high priest. Remember that Mark understood Jesus to be the Son of Man. Perhaps Mark projected his own Christian understanding of Jesus back onto the high priest, so that in the narrative, when Jesus spoke about the Son of Man being seated on the throne next to God, the high priest ‘realized” (as the author of Mark himself believed) that Jesus was referring to himself. If so, then the high priest (in Mark’s narrative, not in real life) would have understood that Jesus was claiming to be divine in some sense. This claim would be a blasphemy. Perhaps this is why the high priest in Mark finds Jesus’ words blasphemous, even though technically speaking, no blasphemy had occurred.” >>end quote.

How does this explanation make any sense to Bart? Bart is willing to try to support Mark’s new testament storyline and errors to the point that he is willing to make up any possibility and assumption even if they do not make any sense from any way one looks at it! Bart claims that Mark was projecting his own belief upon the Jewish high priest, or that the Jewish High Priest was actually Mark in some type of writers transfer of character by saying, “the high priest in Mark finds Jesus words blasphemous”.
In this context I have to ask the same question again, if Mark was taught by disciples who knew the doctrine and story of Jesus (as Jesus said they should go out and teach the correct doctrine which they now understood) how could Mark believe it was blasphemous when it was not and then project that blasphemy onto a Jewish priest who knew it was not blasphemous. This is an extreme stretch to excuse Mark’s error for getting a very big piece of information wrong.
I challenge you to read Barts above paragraph 10 times and try to make sense of it.
In my case it has left my head spinning.
If Mark believes the words of the new testament, in that Jesus is the Savior/King/Messiah son of God, which was not a Jewish blasphemy, why then would Mark believe it is a blasphemy to claim to be the son of God when he is writing as a disciple who knows Jesus role?
If Bart were to lay a foundation that Mark obviously knew nothing of the Jewish tradition and yet wrote the Jesus story as if he knew it all, and indeed was the expert chosen to write due to his connection with the disciples, that foundation would not bode well for the authenticity of the new testament and Jesus storyline as anything other than fabricated by a non-Jew who claimed to write the authentic story.

Mark obviously got this storyline wrong therefore what other parts of the story did he get wrong and again, where were the original apostles to correct this incorrect error that was floating around?

If as Bart says, Mark had a poor understanding of Jesus and projected that back onto the high priest, that meant he also had a poor understanding of Jewish law and of the actual history and yet it is this history record that people draw on, Bart included, as extant texts to validate a historical Jesus which would of course look nothing like Mark’s, but who Mark was obviously given the authorization to tell Jesus real story even though he knew nothing about it while claiming he knew about it and while being the secretary of Peter. It would be different if Mark wasn’t the secretary of Peter who was supposed to be the head leader after Jesus died. Did Mark know Jesus or just Peter? Mark couldn’t have been too stupid since he was educated enough to write and read, something Bart says the lower class bulk of population could not do; but his inability to grasp Peter’s instruction and story of Jesus is overwhelming to say the least and to put it mildly. More importantly, the absence of Peter’s instruction to correct the huge errors is suspicious in its absence.
Yet Mark was told to write about something that he would have been instructed by Peter on the details (peter was after all the head disciple put in charge after Jesus death and who had come to know Jesus truths and doctrine) but Mark ended up not knowing any of it yet writing about it as though he not only knew it but as though it was the TRUTH. (edit as I think I repeated myself in this paragraph.)
In this case how can Bart’s earlier attempt to use the explanation of the telephone story to explain how stories change from one person to the other over decades but have seeds of truth in them – how can this explanation apply to Mark who was Peters secretary? I want to take a moment to digest the magnitude of this all.

Since Mark devoted considerable effort to demonstrate that the disciples never could understand what Jesus meant when he talked about dying and rising again, and that they never do understand, to the very end, why on earth would Jesus ask them to go out and preach his message to the gentiles and about what it means for those who believe in him to be his disciples, and why would Jesus claim they knew enough to be sent out, when they had no real clue about this concept of dying and rising again. Also, as I mentioned in my article, why would the church fathers claim that the correct information was known.

Remember Valentinus and Bassilides and Clement2 were writing a jesus storyline that was very, very descriptive much later and somehow the earlier placed stories had the least clarity even though they were written by a man Mark who would have had the closest access and who was well educated enough to write and read.

Date: June 02, 2012 03:27AM

continued....

Page73 shows Bart explaining the errors in the books of gospel through his belief in a document called the Q document. He believes that this document was held by the gospel writers and explains why there were similarities and errors. Bart says the Q document was lost, but must have held clues to explain the entire error problems.

The fact is that Bart is stretching the truth to fit it into his hypothesis that the new testament was an account to testify of Jesus. The Q document was never lost – it was never found in the first place. If Q ever existed, it must have disappeared very early, since no copies of it have been recovered and no definitive notices of it have been recorded in antiquity and none of the gospel writers mention such a document.

The fifth-century bishop Augustine of Hippo posited that Matthew was written first, then Mark was written using Matthew as a source, and finally Luke was written using Matthew and Mark as sources. This early and influential explanation is no longer supported by modern scholars.
This hypothetical lost text—also called the Q Gospel, the Sayings Gospel Q, the Synoptic Sayings Source, the Q Manuscript, and (in the nineteenth century) The Logia—is alleged to have comprised of a collection of Jesus' sayings. Recognizing such a Q document is one of two key elements in the "two-source hypothesis" alongside the priority of Mark.

The two-source hypothesis is the most widely accepted solution to the so-called "Synoptic Problem," which concerns the literary relationships among the first three canonical gospels (the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke), known as the Synoptic Gospels. Similarity in word choices and event placement shows an interrelationship. The synoptic problem concerns how this interrelation came to pass and what the nature of this interrelationship is. According to the two-source hypothesis, Matthew and Luke both used the Gospel of Mark, independently of one another. This necessitates the existence of a hypothetical source in order to explain the double tradition material where there is agreement between Matthew and Luke that is not in Mark. This hypothetical source is named Q for convenience, from the German word, "Quelle" which means "source".
The alleged existence of an ancient text, dubbed the "Q Document" is significant because it presupposes an earlier source of Jesus' teachings than we currently have in existence. If such a source was ever found, it most certainly would cast new light on the historical Jesus as well as the formation of the early Christian community.

If Q ever existed, it must have disappeared very early, since no copies of it have been recovered and no definitive notices of it have been recorded in antiquity.
In modern times, the first person to hypothesize a Q-like source was an Englishman, Herbert Marsh, in 1801 in a complicated solution to the synoptic problem that his contemporaries ignored. Marsh labeled this source with the Hebrew letter beth (ב).
The next person to advance the Q hypothesis was the German Schleiermacher in 1832, who interpreted an enigmatic statement by the early Christian writer Papias of Hierapolis, circa 125: >>quote:, "Matthew compiled the oracles (Greek: logia) of the Lord in a Hebrew manner of speech.” >>end quote. Rather than the traditional interpretation that Papias was referring to the writing of Matthew in Hebrew, Schleiermacher believed that Papias was actually giving witness to a sayings collection that was available to the Evangelists.

In 1838, another German, Christian Hermann Weisse, took Schleiermacher's suggestion of a sayings source and combined it with the idea of Markan priority to formulate what is now called the Two-Source Hypothesis, in which both Matthew and Luke used Mark and the sayings source. Heinrich Julius Holtzmann endorsed this approach in an influential treatment of the synoptic problem in 1863, and the Two-Source Hypothesis has maintained its dominance ever since.

At this time, Q was usually called the Logia on account of the Papias statement, and Holtzmann gave it the symbol Lambda (Λ). Toward the end of the nineteenth century, however, doubts began to grow on the propriety of anchoring the existence of the collection of sayings in the testimony of Papias, so a neutral symbol Q (which was devised by Johannes Weiss based on the German Quelle, meaning source) was adopted to remain neutrally independent of the collection of sayings and its connection to Papias.

In the first two decades of the twentieth century, more than a dozen reconstructions of Q were made. However, these reconstructions differed so much from each other that not a single verse of Matthew was present in all of them. As a result, interest in Q subsided and it was neglected for many decades.

This state of affairs changed in the 1960s after translations of a newly discovered and analogous sayings collection, the Gospel of Thomas, became available. James M. Robinson and Helmut Koester proposed that collections of sayings such as Q and Thomas represented the earliest Christian materials at an early point in a trajectory that eventually resulted in the canonical gospels.
This burst of interest led to increasingly more sophisticated literary and redactional reconstructions of Q, notably the work of John S. Kloppenborg. Kloppenborg, by analyzing certain literary phenomena, argued that Q was composed in three stages. The earliest stage was a collection of wisdom sayings involving such issues as poverty and discipleship. Then this collection was expanded by including a layer of judgmental sayings directed against "this generation." The final stage included the Temptation of Jesus.

Although Kloppenborg cautioned against assuming that the composition history of Q is the same as the history of the Jesus tradition (i.e. that the oldest layer of Q is necessarily the oldest and pure-layer Jesus tradition), some recent seekers of the Historical Jesus, including the members of the Jesus Seminar, have done just that. Basing their reconstructions primarily on the Gospel of Thomas and the oldest layer of Q, they propose that Jesus functioned as a wisdom sage, rather than a Jewish rabbi, though not all members affirm the two-source hypothesis. Kloppenborg, it should be noted, is now a fellow of the Jesus Seminar himself.

Skeptical of Kloppenborg's tripartite division of Q, Bruce Griffin writes:
This division of Q has received extensive support from some scholars specializing in Q. But it has received serious criticism from others, and outside the circle of Q specialists it has frequently been seen as evidence that some Q specialists have lost touch with essential scholarly rigor. The idea that we can reconstruct the history of a text which does not exist, and that must itself be reconstructed from Matthew and Luke, comes across as something other than cautious scholarship. But the most serious objection to the proposed revisions of Q is that any attempt to trace the history of revisions of Q undermines the credibility of the whole Q hypothesis itself. For despite the fact that we can identify numerous sayings that Matthew and Luke have in common, we cannot prove that these sayings come from a single unified source; Q may be nothing but a convenient term for a variety of sources shared by Matthew and Luke. Therefore any evidence of revision of Q counts as evidence for disunity in Q, and hence for a variety of sources used by Matthew and Luke. Conversely, any evidence for unity in Q—which must be established in order to see Q as a single document—counts as evidence against the proposed revisions. In order to hold to a threefold revision of Q, one must pull off an intellectual tight-rope act: one must imagine both that there is enough unity to establish a single document and that there is enough disunity to establish revisions. In the absence of any independent attestation of Q, it is an illusion to believe that scholars can walk this tightrope without falling off. (Bruce Griffin: WAS JESUS A PHILOSOPHICAL CYNIC? )

Bart does indeed try to walk that tightrope. How then can Bart defend his position by saying it was lost and using such a mythical document that is only supported by apologists looking for a way to explain the errors? What kind of historian is this Bart Ehrman? Even Bona Dea, this forums High School history teacher, uses Bart Ehrman and the Q document as a validating and viable explanation to the problems! Theologians such as Bart are willing to create and assume all kinds of experiences and texts that have no record of existing, but denounces the Jewish text because it was from the 2nd century, while embracing a Q source which didn’t even exist? Yet they will not look at the most obvious explanations which is that the confusion has more information pointing to it being a result of the proven and known Roman desire to Romanize Jews and Roman backed storylines that were implemented to make that possible. Hence there are no stories of Jesus during the Jesus era, those stories and archaeologies came much later, often as obvious later inserts and obvious confused stories because there was no original cohesive story, only later were there Roman created stories that took on the shape we know them to be today. We certainly have proof that as confusing as the stories were, and are, the stories did eventually take hold and although Rome didn’t Romanize the Jews they did get a super power religion out of it up unto this very day and Catholicized many parts of the world. People like Bart will only look at a few of the problems and then explain them by using information that was created by others to explain and excuse it, which information cannot be found.

I am not going to review the other chapters as it seems entirely pointless now. It is more of the same.
I will jump to page 125.

On page 125 Bart writes, >>>quote: “These apostles may not have been directly involved in the spread of this religion after the opening scenes of the narrative – it is chiefly Paul, who is not one of their number, who takes the Gospel abroad – but they are the ones who bear ultimate responsibility for this mission. They began the process in Jerusalem and continue to guide and direct the church along the paths ordained by God. Moreover, these apostles are in complete agreement on every important issue confronting the church. The church begins with a golden age of peace and unity under the leadership of the apostles.” >>end quote.

If God ordained this path then I am left speechless. Where was God in the setting it straight? Was he on the side of the Roman Catholic clergy which prevailed by picking and choosing what it would and would not accept? It is interesting in this context to bring the reoccurring theme to question why Paul was the chief missionary sent to preach when Jesus instructed his 12 disciples to go out and preach; and yet it didn’t arise in popularity – albeit confused popularity - until sometime after Paul’s mission.

Even if we take liberties by interpreting Jesus words of sending his disciples out to preach to the world as meaning those other than the 12, (the disciples confusingly stayed in Jerusalem rather than going out to other parts to teach the gentiles; except for Peter who the n.t. places in Antioch) and even if we were to assume that Acts tells us that they all fled the country after Stephen and Jesus death (accept the disciples which stayed in Jerusalem perhaps they just fled a certain area even though it’s also mentioned that they fled to Antioch), how can Bart, and the early Catholic fathers, claim that they were in complete agreement on every important issue and doctrines and that it was ordained of God –when he just wrote earlier all the confusing issues and his support in a ridiculously fabricated Q document to support errors of the new testament. There was not agreement of the circumcision doctrine, but confusion and disagreement, to cite one issue among others. If they were in agreement on the main issues, of Jesus baptism, death and resurrection, why then are there errors and absence of Jewish stories about that crucifixion and resurrection? Bart cannot have it both ways as much as his mind is trying to convince the reader. Earlier Bart tried to excuse how the crucifixion story was peculiar in that there weren’t spies in that era, as mentioned in the n.t. He tried to excuse how Mark projected his belief of blasphemy, which is a mind boggling proposition as an explanation but now Bart says that they were guided and directed and ordained by God AND that they were correct and in agreement on big issues? How much bigger issues than the basic storyline does he need? Where are these confused apostles who Bart now claims are not confused and whom he claims led them into a golden age of peace and unity? In the mid 200’s there was nothing but confusion, that is if Bart supposes that those original disciples lived that long – but with Bart’s way of bending a story to accommodate his belief it’s not unlikely that he would consider them immortal and living well into the 2nd century leading and guiding them. However, if they did lead and guide the church in unity, as Bart would have you convinced, he doesn’t explain why the mid 2nd century was well known for differing ideas. It wasn’t until the Roman clergy brought down the hammer – so to speak – and picked and chose which information they would canonize or we would not have the lasting canon we have today. This “golden age of peace and unity” didn’t arrive until well into the 3rd century after Constantine united church and state, and even that is disputable as to the peace it provided, even though they were unified in a belief doctrine.

Especially when one of the of the writers of the new testament, the record that Bart uses to support and validate his idea of a historical Jesus was Mark, the secretary of Peter, who was a mass of confusion; when according to Bart they were supposed to be in complete agreement on important issues beginning a golden age or peace and unity under the leadership of the apostles? Where is this golden unity and leadership to clarify and put in agreement important issues when Bart earlier has admitted that the errors and lack of clarity is so astounding he has to resort to assumptions, comparisons and information that has no record of existing just to attempt to explain the possibility of such errors. I have asked this question before, and I’ll ask it again, if the apostles are in complete unity why the confusion in Paul and Mark and other subsequent writers in the new testament? If as Bart says, they agreed on everything important and instilled peace why the confusion that was the opposite of clarity, understanding and peace?
Another problem that verges on the psychological, has me asking why Bart earlier tries to explain the confusion and errors using the examples of the telephone analogy but here he says that under the apostles leadership and information on important issues there was peace and unity – lack of confusion. There was little unity as all the stories verify little unity. I can’t begin to fathom what Bart is trying to convey.

The nauseated stomach I said I felt earlier when thinking about Bart in relationship to the same feelings I had when I first discovered mormonism’s apologetic insanity has born out to be correct for me. I now understand perfectly why I was nauseated by the thought of Bart….. his words are a confusing mess to defend something which he can’t bear to believe didn’t exist. He will try to convince the readers he’s agnostic but in the end his words and final belief that there was a historical man Jesus belies his label.

This is what I mean when I say that historians like Bart use Roman backed information to verify and validate the Roman backed information. This is not a scholar in my opinion, yet he bills himself as one.

In response to Roberts earlier claim, you accuse me of stretching an alternate theory where you claim there is no proof, even though I have a lot of known information and absences where there should be evident information, plus the Roman backed texts problems and history bearing out the fact that SOMEONE orchestrated the Romanization of the Jews and ran with the Roman church worldwide. Don’t you see that you’re accusing me of doing the thing that Bart is doing, twisting connections and comparisons in such a way that hardly even relate to each other, except that Bart has much less textual information to back his alternate theory of an original church whereas at least I am using the text at hand to connect the most likely story ? Why are you invested in supporting the possibility of a historical Jesus even though there is no support whatsoever to verify it and a stunning absence that does NOT verify it?

For Ehrman to make an assertion that that the church was originally uncorrupt and pure he would have to offer information/proof to back it up. There is no proof that there was an original pure uncorrupt church unless you accept the Roman backed n.t. and Roman backed writers like Josephus (even then his writing has already been shown to be entirely flawed in its absence of a cohesive Jesus storyline the likes that arose later and his name similarities to later John the baptist and other storylines would rather point toward a fabricated story with no other proof but he and his associates which was later built upon.)

I am not going to review Bart any further as I have already determined just where Bart is coming from and where he’s going and I don’t have the stomach for it anymore.

Posted by: KeepRomneyOUT ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 09:35AM

I am puzzled why you write a long review of someone's work consistently refering to the author by his given name. I was brought up to believe that you refer to someone by his given name only when BOTH you and the person spoken to are on a "first name" basis with the person being talked about.

The customary style is to use "Mr. Lastname" on first reference and simply "Lastname" thereafter, repeating the first reference form after a significant gap in "mentions."

I have read your post twice over to determine if you are attempting to belittle the author by the over-familiarity of the given name (in the manner of supermarket tabloid covers), and I can't tell. If you are, it is much better to attack his facts and logic than to imply a "less than" or "little boy" status by what seems to be a condescending use of his given name.

Or am I hopelessly old-fashioned? Please clarify.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 11:21AM

The customary style is to use "Mr. Lastname" on first reference and simply "Lastname" thereafter, repeating the first reference form after a significant gap in "mentions."

Or

To use Firstname Lastname on first reference and simply Lastname thereafter.

Date: June 02, 2012 11:44AM

I had to use a name simply to differentiate between his quotes, other quotes and my comments, and reduce confusion as to who was being referred. This forum set-up doesn't have highlighter or different colored text therefore I needed to use quotes and quotation marks to distinguish his quotes vs my comments.

I have no idea what is customary. I was reviewing information for my own personal research and chose to type the name Bart because it was easiest to spell. It was just that simple. His last name is not easy to spell over and over without making typing errors. If his last name were Brown I could have used that. Nothing nefarious intended I assure you.
If I were planning to publish the review I would have had English grammar agents to correct it, I'm sure. But I was not planning on publishing it; only decided to send it to a few people who may have been interested in the information for information sakes alone. I didn't think they would go grammar-police on me, but I should have suspected that based on my past experiences on this forum.

What I do find interesting is that you read the thing 2 times and rather than commenting on the information content you have only to pick on a grammatical issue. I am quite obviously not a grammar police by any means, therefore any further reference to my grammar will be lost on me. It was a complete editing nightmare and I finally gave up that attempt. I even mentioned that clearly in my earlier preface hoping that would be sufficient to hold back the grammar nazi's.

I was far more interested in the content and information than grammar. You are more interested in grammar than content.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

That aside, I have zero respect for Mr. Bart Ehrman, and I do mean ZERO -- actually below zero if that's possible! I read his book at the very end of my research and at that point it's amazing I didn't refer to him with colorful expletives, such was my disgust in his book information and him as a historian spreading his information world-wide to such good and gullible folks who are in turn trying to spread his dis-information to me in the name of truth and correctness! I've been down that road before!! At that point the gloves were off! But no, I used the name Bart for convenience. Like Mormon apologists he is entitled to his opinions as egregious as they are, and I consider myself using extreme restraint by not refering to him with expletives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.