Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xaub ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 02:26AM

I grew up in a polygamous household and it is my opinion that all the statements about polygamy being about slavery, brainwashing, abuse, tax fraud, welfare costs, etc are plain ignorant. Religion in general is full of these very things. TV Evangelists raise millions from their viewers/listeners. How much tithing comes from widows on social security or other welfare recipients.

The place I grew up in has some interesting history. For the past 16+ years the Valedictorian and/or Salutatorian of the public school, where many of them attend, was a polygamist child including this last year where they announced four Valedictorians. 3 out of the 4 were plyg kids. Interesting "wasted humanity".

Just because you disagree with a 'lifestyle choice' doesn't mean you have the right to be an A$$ about it. When I left the AUB and TSCC, I was very much against polygamy. I was also very much against homosexual or even interracial relationships, etc. Each of these is nothing more than religious ignorance/bias and hate mongering. I have come to realize the the government has no right to govern morality between consenting adults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 02:40AM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 04:26AM

I've painstakingly explained why your position is naive. If you disagree with me on points of theory, let's hear it. But if you're just going to accuse me of ignorance and hate-mongering, feel free to challenge me on my turf. Or remain anonymous. Whatever makes you comfortable. Nobody is going to get between me and what I consider my obligation to the protection of human rights.

I hope you've never been around underage brides. Knowing what I know, I couldn't live with myself if I ignored the problem.

When people don't challenge my reasoning, and instead take pot-shots at me personally, I don't have time for niceties. It is apathy that has allowed this problem to get to this level.

There are plenty of people who would love to see me stop doing this. They'll have to kill me I guess. They aren't going to stop me.

Anyone may find that if my theory is challenged, I can be most gracious. I will change my theory if someone shows me a flaw. But given the years I've spent on this, it's going to take some doing. People who try to discredit me by making it personal may do so at their own risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 04:27AM by Troy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.