Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 11:54AM

the latest from truth-saves.com

You don’t need to believe in Yule, the Scandinavian fertility god, to enjoy the tradition of Yuletide carols and greetings.

You don’t need to be a Wiccan to enjoy the tradition of wreaths or decking the halls with holly.

You don’t need to be a Druid to enjoy the tradition of hoping for a kiss under the mistletoe.

You don’t need to believe in the god Saturn to enjoy the tradition of decorating a Saturnalia tree in your home.

You don’t need to believe in Thor, Odin or St. Nicholas to enjoy the tradition of a visitor bringing gifts at night.

You don’t need to believe in Slepnir, Odin’s flying 8-legged horse to enjoy the tradition of listening for the sound of hooves on your roof top.

You don’t need to believe in Mithras to enjoy the tradition of celebrating the sun’s rebirth on December 25th.

You don’t need to believe in Jesus Christ to enjoy the tradition of renaming this ancient holiday to Christ’s Mass.

All you need to enjoy these winter festivities is to me merry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:10PM

I am going to copy and post on my facebook page and watch the fun unfold! LOL Thanks for posting this!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:26PM

More and more, my ways of celebrating the winter solstice are my own.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of Yuletide carols and greetings, to enjoy the seasonal music and greetings I like.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of wreaths or decking the halls with holly to enjoy decorating with my own idea of seasonal decorations.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of hoping for a kiss under the mistletoe to enjoy hoping to get laid by that hot guy across the room.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of decorating a Saturnalia tree in your home to enjoy whatever I choose to decorate.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of a visitor bringing gifts at night to enjoy exchanging gifts with loved ones, not because of tradition, but because I enjoy making them happy.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of listening for the sound of hooves on your roof top to enjoy the anticipation of whatever real thing or event I am waiting for.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of celebrating the sun’s rebirth on December 25th to enjoy celebrating my friends and family for no other reason that that is what I do on the 25th.

I do not need to enjoy the tradition of renaming this ancient holiday to Christ’s Mass to realize that it is all just nuts.

All you need to enjoy these winter solstice is to me merry, you do not even need to enjoy the traditional festivities.

Date: November 30, 2012 02:16PM

Get over your hate for people that have a different idea of what the season is about than you.

My post is every bit as positive and as much about celebrating the season as yours, they are just DIFFERENT.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 02:22PM by MJ.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:28PM

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 08:42PM

The Mormon.org website home page, which says something like "Christmas is Family"

Well, for some it is, for some it isn't. Thanks to the COJCOLDS, aka LDS Inc., it isn't about family for me. The church has split our family apart so wide, that we have trouble enjoying one another's company. Way to go, Mor(M)ons!

And another thing - what about those who don't have family, who are single or who are divorced or who are estranged from their family, or who (gasp), just don't like their family? Doesn't Christmas hold some meaning for others as well, or shouldn't it? If you were to take Christianity seriously, it should not be about family, but about Jesus and giving, and sharing and living the principles he taught etc.

Posted by: intjsegry ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 03:33PM

I love this. Working in retail for YEARS my BF and I (Now out of it finally) were subjected to the CRAZY part of the holiday... the gift giving, overly religious, self indulgent, stupid songs 100 times, excuse for a season of "giving" crap.

Watching unaware 20 somethings looking blankly and SNuggies wondering if that is the "perfect gift" for that one girl he likes... or getting physically threatened with violence if you won't give them the "matched priced" of a totally different item. (this happened to my BF, they guy got in his face and threatened to follow him home...of course BIG Corporation backed up the customer, and my BF finally had enough and quit).

The holiday is a joke when it comes to the corporate take over of the holiday. We are marketed to every single second of the day (so it seems) but during the Season, it is on steroids and disguised as "loving your fellow man" by buying him a... brand new radio so he can throw out the one he just got last year....!!!

do you know that Christmas is the ONE day of the year most companies (yes, big ones) are in the BLACK all year? No wonder it is shoved down our throats.

I LOVED Christmas growing up, because of the tie to religion, free gifts from people, and yes, even the feeling of everything.

When I became an atheist, I began to realize and resent the religious aspect being shoved down my throat, the killing of millions of trees for a tradition that serves no purpose but to cause fire hazards and messes (buy a fake tree people if you have to have one), and the overzealous attempts at this time of year to "wish me god's love".

I have to admit that my BF is was more zealous and about his hating of the Holiday (though it has slackened this year now that he is out of Customer Service). However, I missed the feel of the season... not what it has become.

We've finally compromised. Winter solstice it is. No gifts, no religion, no god, and no guilt, no stupid corporate laden songs.. but egg nog, (whisky added), wassail, fires, smells of the season and lights... okay.

I'm sure if there was a national day of atheism (maybe there is?), or a day of Buddha, or Allah, or whatever, and it was celebrated as WIDELY and obnoxiously as Xmas, Christians would go freakin' nuts and cry intolerance.

Even HUGE atheists like Dawkins and Hitchens loved the Holidays... they just celebrate it for what it really SHOULD be about... family..... and booze of course...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 03:39PM by intjsegry.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:22PM

Good start, for the arguments anyhow.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:45PM

Thanks Heidi and MJ
I enjoyed what you both shared.
It's good to see so many ideas. Once you discover truth about moism and religion, when comes Christmas, you're not always sure what you are celebrating and why you are celebrating.
I'm learning little by little with each new Christmas (only my 2nd) away from religion what I want for Christmas.

Date: November 30, 2012 02:53PM

I was just pointing out that it was OK for people to celebrate however they see fit, even if they do not like the traditions.

I see nothing wrong with people that LIKE the traditions, using the traditions to celebrate. That said, it should be ok for those that do not like the traditions to celebrate the way they see fit.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 08:01PM

i actually agree with MJ. People should celebrate or not anyway they like. One minor point, there is no such things as a Saturnalia tree. Romans gave gifts and used greenery to decorate,but trees are German

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 05:56AM

Holy shit we need to archive this post!

It's a Christmas/Yuletide/Festivus miracle!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 05:57AM by Raptor Jesus.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 06:41AM

Somebody break out the virgin blood and goat skewers.

Date: December 01, 2012 01:43PM

lol

Posted by: Alice ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 08:16PM

You are both right. We are all right. At last, we can celebrate Christmas any way we want. Making Christmas personal has been one of the highlights of being an ex-Mormon.

I'm a Christmas nut--even during the years I was alone--I love it all. But some people get seriously depressed and/or lonely during the holidays. Maybe that's a reason families try to be together. It is just bad luck that being with family has the opposite effect for some people. I was "lonely in a crowd" in my TBM family, because I was the only one who had ever gotten divorced.

The same tradition can bring joy to the heart, or make you want to blow your brains out. Choose wisely, and be happy this season.

Date: November 30, 2012 08:20PM

Personally I like tradition but if someone else wants to serve hot dogs and.decorate a tumbleweed, it is fine with me. )If I never hear about the Faux News war on Christmas again, I'll die haapu

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 08:30PM

In one corner we have Cheryl who is ProSanta. In the other we have Benson who is AntiSanta. The discussion can get pretty hot!

As for me, I am with Cheryl : P

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 02:20AM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 02:24AM

SEND ME GIFTS BENSON!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 02:29AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 02:31AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Grumpoledog ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 08:33PM

I still want my festivus pole and feats of strength.

Date: November 30, 2012 08:39PM

That is another issue that should be up to the individual. Santa is relatively new and kids survived fine without him for thousands of years. On the other hand, Santa is fun and the vast majority.of kids who believed have grown up without trauma.It can be overdone either way IMO

Posted by: formerlydoormat2012 ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 08:47PM

Is Festivus December 23rd?

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 07:48AM

and its so much easier to be merry when a person is intoxicated...
suddenly Christianity and it's strange customs make so much more sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a36_CwzA0bk

Posted by: strawman7 ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 09:07AM

Great job Heidi !!!

I have learned the origins of these so-called 'Christian' traditions as well.

The idea of a Savior and Resurrection etc. can be traced back thousands of years before the latest Jeezus Myth was created in 325 AD ....

Lots of Laughs

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 09:53AM

1. Santa doesn't exist.
2. Family traditions are great fun but gift-giving should not be extravagant.
3. Christmas trees and Santa should NOT be in church though ward Christmas parties include both. Ugh.
4. I heartedly agree that all should celebrate as they wish including some Jewish friends who also celebrate Christmas because it is fun. This is fitting because where we live, the high Jewish holidays are celebrated with school closings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.